Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
651
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
860

Such Fools

Summary:

AN Random scribbles, set in the future, no spoilers for anything
Rating: PG if that
Summary: John's getting married but is he ignoring something Carson has been able to see for years and if yes what is the Doctor going to do about it? Not really a happy fic - J/R J/E kinda
Submitted through the StargateAtlantisSlash mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at Stargate_Atlantis_Slash

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Such Fools
by BlackRose

I can still remember the day I realised. To be honest I'm still surprised that I didn't work it out sooner. It was always there, apparent the second I started to look.

It was so obvious, *they* were so obvious.

And they both thought they were being so clever.

It was clear in every touch that lasted too long or even not enough time when they were feeling particularly paranoid.

Gazes that lasted for a time far unnecessary, gazes in which they would both momentarily forget that everyone else would exist.

The private jokes.

The secret smiles.

Everything they shared.

No one said anything to them though, our lives often depended on their particular brand of chemistry saving the day again and again time after time.

Regulations, don't ask don't tell, morale, fraternisation, even renewed contact with Earth I knew what they'd say if I asked so I never said anything, I was a fool but so were they.

Even so I often wondered who they thought they were fooling.

Maybe if I'd said something it would never have gotten this far.

I'm looking at them again today, both in tuxes in front of a minister and it almost seems perfect, then the wedding march starts and we all turn to see the bride walk up the isle.

And it's finally confirmed that the only ones they were fooling were themselves.

Now Rodney steps back allowing John's bride to take her place by his side, a place that doesn't belong to her.

Her face is glowing, radiant, she looks so happy, and all I can do is apologize silently for what I'm about to do because for a second I wonder if it's the right thing but then I look at Rodney's face, pain buried so deep I doubt he even knows it's there and John's diplomatic smile firmly fixed, no one should be wearing a smile used for negotiations at a wedding, especially not their own.

And then I hear the words I'm waiting for, the part of the ceremony a person either hates or waits for in anticipation of scandal.

"If anyone present should know of any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

No one ever understands just how much of creation and of healing amounts to or consists of destruction in the end.

"Your Honour."

All eyes turn to me and I can tell from just looking at John and Rodney that I'm currently set to lose everything, their eyes warning me to say no more, both their faces frozen. John's eyes disbelieving filling with a horrified comprehension and fury, Rodney's promising retribution of the highest order if anything spoils the wedding day of his best friend, the man he loves.

I can't stop now though, they both know that, even if it costs me everything, I won't let them make this mistake... not before it's too late.

My eyes shoot to the bride and she's paled far more than can be healthy, swaying slightly, eyes flickering from my face to John and then Rodney before back to me, this time there's a sick realisation present in them.

"I object."

The minister looks plain faced still but she acknowledges me.

"On what grounds Doctor Beckett?"

"John..." I freeze suddenly, realising that I have no right to use that name anymore. "Colonel Sheppard, can not give his heart to this woman, he gave it to someone else a long time ago."

From behind her veil Elizabeth's eyes meet mine, hardened with sudden pain but still refusing to cry.

And I realise she always knew.

And in that moment looking from her to John and finally Rodney I wonder which one, is the greater fool.

Fin

AN This is a bit of a weird fic really, don't know why I wrote it

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author The Blackrose.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.