Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-12-23
Words:
3,530
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
1
Kudos:
25
Hits:
3,266

Abby in Oz

Summary:

Rating: FRT
Disclaimer: NCIS characters belong to Bellisarius; Wizard of Oz characters belong to the estate of L. Frank Baum. Summary: An explosion in the lab sends Abby to a strange and familiar place.
Type: GEN
Author's Notes: I was watching The Wizard of Oz the other night and when the Munchkins started singing "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead" it reminded me of MD; hence this story.
Fandom: NCIS
Submitted through the squidge AUfic mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

Abby in Oz
by Lokemele


The explosion was felt as far away as the desks in the main office.

Gibbs head came up. "What the hell was that?"

The alarms sounded, and then they knew; the lab had exploded.

The explosion had knocked out the power; Gibbs raced down the stairs with his team on his heels. They were met at the lab's door by Ducky, carrying the unconscious form of Abby. Flames licked the lab walls behind him.

"How is she?" Gibbs asked as he relieved the older man of his burden.

"Alive and with her spinal cord intact, else I wouldn't have risked moving her, but I think she may have a skull fracture," Ducky replied as they evacuated the building.

Paramedics took Abby from Gibbs and placed her on a gurney. They did a cursory exam and loaded her into the ambulance. Gibbs turned to DiNozzo as the paramedics worked.

"I'm going with her to the hospital. As soon as the fire chief gives the OK, I want you, McGee and David in there looking for clues. This is our only case right now."

"Don't you think that's my call, Gibbs?"

He turned and glared at Director Sheppard. "Not when it's one of my people."

"She's one of my people, too."

"She was mine *first*, ma'am." With that, he followed the paramedic into the back of the ambulance. DiNizzo closed the doors and it pulled away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abby opened her eyes and groaned. What was she doing on the floor of her lab? She'd better not let Gibbs catch her; they had three cases depending on her results. She didn't have time for dreaming, even really odd ones about the lab blowing up and the Director turning into the Wicked Witch of the East, complete with broom.

'Now that's odd,' she though as she looked around, 'none of the equipment's working. Did we have a power outage?' She stood up and walked to the door, opening it.

To find Munchkinland on the other side.

"Oh, man, no! Why do I have to be in Oz?" she whined. She had a sudden thought and raced out the door and around the corner. She found what she had suspected; a pair of legs sticking out from under one side of her lab, clad in striped stockings and ruby slippers.

"Oh, please, not slippers! I *hate* slippers."

She looked around and walked a short distance from the lab, wondering when Glinda the Good was going to show up. It was somewhat of a relief to see the glowing ball signaling the arrival of the witch.

Until the ball started glowing blue instead of the expected pink as it expanded to seven feet in diameter, and instead of a pink gowned Glinda faded to reveal a Gibbs in his Marine Dress uniform, holding Glinda's long crystal wand with the star on the tip.

"You really didn't expect me to show up in something pink and frothy and start singing, did you, Abby?"

"Nah; that's Tony's fantasy."

Gibbs rolled his eyes at her comment and called out, "Munchkins! Front and Center!"

The Munchkins *did* sing, going through the declaration of the witch's death and welcoming Abby to Munchkinland.

They were singing "Fa la la la la la la la la la la, fa la la la la la la," when it happened.

The Wicked Witch of the *West* showed up, demanding to know who killed her sister.

"Yeah, I know, she looks just like Director Shepard," Gibbs whispered in Abby's ear. "Identical twins."

"Look can you just back off, already?" Abby told the witch. "It's not like I *meant* to drop my lab on your sister!"

When she started to threaten Abby, Gibbs stepped in and reminded her about the ruby slippers. The witch moved to retrieve them but was too late, as the slippers disappeared and the legs curled up and under the lab.

"Aw, Gibbs, not slippers; you know how I hate slippers."

"Look down, Abby," Gibbs replied.

She looked down, expecting to see slippers, and got a very nice surprise.

"Ruby hiking boots! With gold laces! Gibbs I love you!" She threw her arms around the Marine.

He returned the hug briefly, then pulled back and kissed her on the forehead.

The witch demanded Abby return the boots, only to have Gibbs advise Abby to hold onto them, and warn the witch she had no power in Munchkinland.

"You'd better go, before someone drops something on you," Gibbs further warned.

She glanced up, and then returned her eyes to Abby. "I'll get you, my pretty, and all your equipment, too! You'll never be able to analyze anything again!" she snarled as she disappeared in a column of sulphurous smoke.

"What do I do now?"

"You already know, Abby; you go to the Emerald City and see the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz." He handed her a backpack, knowing she wouldn't be caught dead with a wicker basket, and pointed with his wand. "Since you don't have a broom and Oz doesn't have cars, you'll have to walk. Follow the Yellow Brick Road." He stepped back and was enveloped in his blue bubble.

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road -- right." She went to the beginning of the road and started walking. The Munchkins followed her to the border, waving happily as she went on alone.


TBC