Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,782
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,658

Beverly Bridge

Summary:

Summary: Basis for this story comes from a publicist report that reads: Award-winning actor Joanna Cassidy will guest-star in a three-episode arc of "Boston Legal,"� currently scheduled to air this season, it was announced today. Cassidy will play Beverly Bridge, a fifty year-old attractive predator trolling for her second husband amongst her high-net-worth peers. She steals the heart of the firm's partner, Denny Crane (William Shatner), at a charity dinner. Cassidy, it will be remembered played the part of the snake handling replicant Zhora in 1982's Blade Runner.

Work Text:

Beverly Bridge

The lights had not really glowed brighter. They had just seemed liked they had. At least that is how Denny Crane chose to remember it. That's what happened the first time he saw Beverly Bridge. She was the partner in charge of the San Francico office. Tallish, long faced, strawberry blonde. She was dressed like a well paid California type attorney: Well cut black silk suit with a bright red blouse and diamond tipped Manolo Blahnik's on her feet. All topped off with a rakishly worn Black Fedora. That was Beverly's style: Over the top and right in your face but with the money and talent to back it up. She reminded him of someone but he could not think who.

She had successfully argued cases before the local Supreme Court and was well known in 'Frisco for her support of liberal causes. She had swept into the room unescorted, which was only unusual because every person there had come with an escort, even the gay ones. But there was no trouble about that: she was one of the Masters of Ceremonies for this event due to a cancellation by one of the scheduled hosts who was a very good friend of hers. She strolled over to his table ostensibly to say hello to one her friends at the Boston firm of CP&S when Denny intercepted her.

"Denny Crane"
"I know. Beverly Bridge"
"You work for me."
"I know. And damn happy about it too."
"Really? Why?"
"Well every girl needs a hobby, doesn't she?"
"Heh heh. Very good. Very quick."
"Thanks."
"You here alone?
"Well, yes and no. I left my snake back at the hotel."
"You travel with a snake?"
"Yes, a black boa constrictor named Charlie Darling*. But then most women travel with snakes, don't they?. Only they call them Husbands."
She laughed uproariously at her own joke. Denny was not quite certain why that was funny but he laughed anyway.
When she had calmed down somewhat she said
"However, I do apologize, Mr. Crane. That's just my sick sense of humor. You kind of develop one when you try as many civil cases as I do and see the worst in both men and women. I do hope your wife will fogive me for such crudeness. Which one of the lovely ladies at this table is she?"
"Oh I'm no...."
"Beverly Bridge!" Shouted the rather zaftig long haired woman rushing toward her from behind Denny.
"Ellenor Frutt!! It has been much, much too long." She turned back to him and said "Denny, once again I am forced to apologize, but we girls must have our little chats. Perhaps later?"
"Certainly." He turned toward the woman that Beverly was addressing. "Denny Crane" he said by way of departure. The long haired woman looked at him with an arched eyebrow of surprise and familiarity and then the two women went off laughing and talking.

Later in the evening, as he stood drinking a glass of fine brandy on the balcony of the ballroom being used for the event, he heard footsteps strolling toward him. He smiled at the familiar sound.
"You wouldn't have a cigar on you, would you? I'm fresh out."
"No, I haven't but would you care for a Persian cigarette?"
Denny turned around rather startled to find Beverly standing there.
"Oh, I guess it's my turn to apologize to you. So sorry."
"Were you expecting someone else?"
"Yes. No. Sort of."
"Won't I do?"
"Other than the fact that I don't smoke cigarettes, I think you might do alright."
"So you're not married I understand from Ellenor?
"No. Say don't I know her from somewhere."
"Yes, or you should anyway. She was the former employer of a friend of yours. An Alan Shore?"
"Ooooh yes. I beat the pants off her in court when he sued her and her firm for wrongful termination."
"Yes she mentioned something about that. Fortunately, she didn't hold it against me personally for working for you."
"Well I am glad to hear that."
"I'm not married either by the way."
"You don't say? But you were though?"
"Oh yes. That's why I named the snake Charlie Darling. So I wouldn't forget the few good times there were."
"Ha ha."
"However, that does not mean I am forever soured on the whole idea of men and marriage. In fact,that is one of the reasons I have come to town."
"Really. How so?"
"I have some property here in town..my forebears have roots all the way back to the Mayflower...and I have been trying to decide whether I should sell it and take up permanent residence on the West Coast or marry and settle down in Boston. The only problem is that a woman in my position can't take up with just any man. It must be someone special."
"I agree with you. Found anyone that meets your criteria?"
"Oh yes, there are few I have on my short list. You're on it you know?"
Denny did not find that he blushed often, but he did it just then.
"Really? I must say that I am flattered."
"I hope you don't find it too bold of me for mentioning it. But at my age you learn not to fumble about with words. Besides, I kind of believe in keeping it in the family, so to speak."
"I don't follow"
"Well, I work for Crane Poole and Schmidt and you are the Denny Crane. I figure if I am going to do this then start at the top"
"Aaah I see. Well that is rather flattering, I must say."
"I do thank you."
Just then a hotel bellboy appeared at the balcony doorway and coughed politely and said
"Denny Crane?"
"That's me, Soldier"
"Package for you Mr. Crane. Told to deliver this to you right away." and handed Denny a small gift wrapped gold box. Denny tipped the boy $5 and he went away happy.
"Wow that was very generous of you Mr. Crane. Aren't going to open it?"
"In a minute. So I'm at the top of your list, huh?"
"Well you are now since that damned Marlena married Trump."
"Well, that would not have worked out anyway. You don't have an accent and he seems to have thing for them."
"True. So how about you Denny. What do you like?"
"You a horse rider?"
"Got thrown off my first time at 5. It was a struggle to convince my father not to shoot the poor thing."
"You shoot?"
"Anything you got from Derringers to Uzis"
"Where are you on the subject of stem cell research?

Their conversation sort of meandered in this vein for about 40 minutes. Denny was impressed. She was very smart, very witty and extremely charming. She seemed perfect. The kind of woman any man of means would want to have, yet....

"Denny, I am sorry but I am just too overcome with curiosity."
"What do you mean?"
"What the hell is in that box you are turning over and over in your hands."
"What...oh..this one. Well let's just open it shall we? Then we'll both know."

He pulled one end of the blue ribbon which released the bow securing the gold parcel. He lifted the top and removed the top layer of cotton wadding and looked inside. Denny sucked in his breath quickly with an audible gasp. He then got a very foolish grin on his face and looked at Beverly Bridge and grinned even wider. Out of the box he pulled a small but delicately carved ivory rabbit. It was being used as a fob from which was hanging a glistening door key engraved with the number 1407. There was note along with it. It read "Mother sends her love. As well as MonteCristo's**. Come home soon. I miss you. A.S."

Now it was Denny's turn to laugh out loud. As Beverly finshed reading the note, Denny said
"Beverly Bridge, I am afraid I must be going. Duty calls."
"I thought you said you weren't married."
"I'm not. However, I never said I wasn't taken."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As Denny was getting his pillows, sheets and blanket situated just right, he felt the right side of the covers slowly lift, the bed dip down slightly and a second later he had his arms full of a freshly scrubbed and powdered Alan Shore. A kiss or 5 was exchanged before they both settled down to sleep. Not of course before they had their nightly update of the days events.

"How was the party, Denny?"
"We raised a little under $5 million for the Boston General CRC. A good night."
"Oh that's wonderful. Everybody from CP&S Boston show up? I understand the firm bought a very expensive table."
"Yes they all came. They all missed you but sent their best wishes on your Mother's good health.
"That was awfully kind. Even Brad too?"
"Even Brad too. Guess who else was there?"
"I am sure I couldn't possibly."
"Beverly Bridge from 'Frisco Office"
"They like it to be called San Francisco. She was?"
"Yes, she was"
"I hear through the grapevine that she might come back to Boston."
"You heard right. She also might be looking to get married again."
Alan raised his head from where it had been laying against Denny's chest and looked at him.
"And you know this how?"
"She told me."
"She did?"
"And I was at the top of a very short list of prospects."
"Oh."
"It was very flattering, I must say."
"Was it?"
"Yes it was. It's nice to know that Denny Crane still has it."
"And that Beverly Bridge wants it"
"To be sure. But she's not getting it."
"Really. Why?"
"Alan, are you a horse rider?
"Denny, I get dizzy on merry go rounds"
"Do you shoot?"
"I don't shoot. I just stamp my feet and curse them out."
"Where are you on the subject....of snakes?"
"Why have a snake when rabbits are just as quiet. Besides they make for much cuter jackets."
Denny suddenly pulled Alan halfway on top of him and started peppering kisses on his face and neck.
"That's why" he said between kisses.

~*~*~*~

The end.

* Ms Cassidy actually owns (owned?) the snake she appeared with in Blade Runner. However,it was actually a Burmese Python simply named Darling.

** MonteCristo's are very expensive brand of Cuban cigar.