Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
5,021
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
803

A Christmas Tale

Summary:

SUMMARY: A small tale for Christmas
DISCLAIMERS: The usual. I don't own them; I just love playing with them.
MAIN CHARACTERS: Passepartout, Phileas Fogg and a new character
RATING: PG
THANKS: To my dictionary Harrap's French-English, really, I don't know what a do without it.
FEEDBACK: Please, it's always a pleasure to know what people though about story we wrote.
Submitted through the SAJVfic mailing list.

Work Text:

A Christmas Tale.
by Moishouki - Annie

By a cold evening of January, two amused drunken men had walked hardly right up so much the night had been good for them. They had begun the evening by a house play game and had play for lost more than to fill their pockets, and the tiny bit they had succeed to win or rather to keep get together had been spend in an other kind of house. That was the last evening they passed together and the only story tells to a boy through his first years of live.

It had been nine years ago. He was not more that nine years old, but thank to his tall, each time someone grabbed him in shake him in hold him by the arm for something he had done and summed him to said how old he was, he was to said twelve, and no one had never questioned that. The boy had learn to lie in learn to talk. It was simplest that way. People were not gentle with children as him. They had never been. When people were to learn where he was born, they had as soon called him a bastard. And it had been as it since as long he was able to recall and again even before. So much, he had almost thought that it was his first name or even a middle one until someone explain to him by accident what the word was really to mean.

His mother had lest him in an orphanage soon after his birth, he had never saw her, his paper was only to said he was a baby boy without name born in London in October 1856 from unknown parent as a lot of other in such hard time for the poor people of the town without job and money. Who was care any way, his papers, he had lets them where they was and had run away after years of bad treatment, living on the streets, and sleeping where he succeed to sneak for the night, eating from the pick pocketing fruits. But it was not the best. Songs and voices were heard in the wind, sound of people walking in mass on the London' streets, the cabs leaving and taking passengers on the filled streets, that was the Christmas period which was back. That was the happy time of each years and even if there was always the pick pocketing. He had learn from his bit of time to live on the street that people had on that period the rope of their hart just as loosen than the one of their purse. On that time rather than steal money, it could be given with a smile only when one asked nicely for that. At distance, the young boy had spotted his next pray.

On the street of London just in front a shop, a gentleman well dressed in his good tailored suit, his over coat and top hat as well than his leather glove and walking stick was to talk with a young man. Probably another in need about to receive few coins from the gentleman, he thought in saw them together. He was about to walk to him and play him his best play for got his dime, but when the man takes out a bright gold pocket watch and looked on that, the spank come in the young boy mind, not matter if he was able to got a bit of money from the man, never it would be as much than the watch' worth. He used all his speed to run and grab the watch out of the man hand and run away with his loot as the chain broken.

As the boy grabbed his watch, the gentleman tried to grab the boy, who was too fast for him as his friend was to yell at the thief. But no one stopped the boy who had rarely saw men as that gentleman running behind him as fast even with the crew on the streets. Valuing his luck to escape to his pursuer in go on the other side of the street, but busy to try found a way to escape, the young boy didn't see the attachment coming on the street and he slide on the ground receiving a horse' shoes on his leg.

The gentleman as well than his friend stopped not to far where the boy was fall, just as a bobby was to look on him as well than the driver and the owner of the carriage and few walkers. Usually suck even was not to draw so much attention, the gentleman though in made his way until the hurt little thief. As the boy had hide the watch and the bobby was to talk him about bring him where he would be take care as well than in charge, the boy tried to go on a play but the pain of his hurt permit him only to said "not the orphanage." before fainted.

When the boy awake he was lay on a good bed with a conformable mattress and fresh sheets. The room was warm and greeting. It had noting compared with the cold dormitory where he had sleep with several other children the time he had pass in the orphanage and again less with the all other places where he had sleep since he was to live in the street. His leg was sore and his head, but again it was a better than it had been when the accident was happen. He moved a bit on the bed and touched his head where he had hit the ice on the street, when he was stopped by a man voice, which was warm and sweet as well than the English language a bit odd. "Esi, esi, boy." the man said him. He turned his head for saw a man dressed in a strange waistcoat striped yellow and black and wearing a light beard and mustache on his face. He was sure to have never saw that man before and preferred said noting in stay on his guard since he was not to feel right for run away, but that man was not to seem dangerous, he had perhaps even take care of him by what the boy was able to guess.

"I'm Passepartout, so you are the little nasty boy who take his watch at my master." The man said him smiling what was not to seem right to his ear. Does the man was angry or was to found that funny, he had not deal with such behavior before and for have steal usually he was good to receive a physical chastisement. Unsure of what the man would do next, the lad stay without talk and only keep his gaze on the man who moved and made him nervous. "Soup, you are surely ungry. I know you surely not eat a warm and good meal since long time, so I keep a plate of roast in the oven for you. We already eat but as the doctor asked we lets you take the rest you was in need, I got that plate for you after you eat the soup, right." The talk about a warm meal as well the bowl of soup's odor was to give him water at mouth just as bring his belly to cry its joy to can finally eat something. Passepartout smiles happy to see the boy's reaction and helped him to sit and to eat.

Once the soup eaten, Passepartout leave the young guest wait a bit and went to the kitchen for the promise roast plate. On his way, Passepartout saw his master stand up laid again the wall at feet of the stairway. "So how is he, Passepartout?" asked the worry man. Passepartout smiles happy in show the empty bowl on the tray he was to carry, "Awake, master, and in better state, he even ate the soup and he is ready for main plate."

"Fine, did he say something?"

"No, master, perhaps he is deaf, worse than the young Tom, and he not talk at all."

On that Phileas Fogg, only made a disapproval sound and walked to his study, as Jules and Rebecca were to come out of the parlor. "So the little pest, who takes Phileas' pocket watch for next run away and be stopped by a horse, did say nothing yet. Does it mean, my dear cousin lost his mean in questioning matter when it come to a child." Said amused Rebecca Fogg more for tease her cousin than for turn the blade in the wound. Jules smiles, "The boy is not in state to undergo a formal questioning Rebecca, the doctor said he was in need rest and to be feed too. The poor boy got his skin on his bones." To what Passepartout add, "The doctor also said than he probably crack is skull in falling on the." The domestic stopped his sentence as his master come back in the hall in said, "Passepartout, if that boy was under a contusion he would not eat and better keep a soup, not matter how many day he was without eat before."

As the gentleman was to walk the stairs, his valet stopped him, "Master, the doctor asked to not push him to answer questions so soon after his accident, it would probably tromatised him. And he would not trust us anymore." Phileas stopped his climbing up and looked on his, "I will not question him, and I was only to look on him before go sleep. It rather late and you all seem have forget we need to be at Shilingworth Magna tomorrow since its Christmas Eve. And with that delay I got, I could not even buy your gift, dear cousin, so I should put a large red ribbon around that child' neck and give him to you." Rebecca smiled, "At who it would please the more, Phileas, to you, to me or to Passepartout, I'm curious to know." On that Passepartout show a brilliant smiles, happy to see it was a possibility, "Can we keep him, master?"

On that Phileas made the domestic lost his smiles and Jules to send on him a hard gaze, "Passepartout, he's not a dog or a cat, he's a child. We not even got the time for ourselves once in a moment each year. Where would we found time to a child? Without count than with us he would be on a perpetual danger. No. We had agreed to keep him until he was able to walk. And At Shillingworth Magna, I'm sure we could found a good family who would agree him as one of theirs. It close the subject." He said and walked to his room; unable to look on the child now he was awaked.

His friend' word had hurt Jules deeply, but Fogg was right, and a child would probably found a better family in the country. Fogg was the Lord of Shilingworth Magna after all, well even if he was to deny to use the title, people there was to respect him and certainly the child would be save there and the Foggs would keep an eye out for him. Rebecca was to the same opinion than Jules even if they had only share a gaze. She squeezed friendly his arm and kissed his cheek in said, "Phileas is right, it's late and we need leave tomorrow. Lets look a last time on the lad, Passepartout will stay up with him a moment and tomorrow while he will sleep, it should give Phileas time to buy my gift before we leave." She whisper as a little girl who had asked since longtime ago what she was really to wand as Christmas gift. Jules had been amused by her excitation and had follow to the room where they had settled the little boy.

They passed a moment with him and he never lets go out a word. It was to mind a bit Jules as well than Rebecca, but Passepartout had seem appease him anyway in made enough conversation for two, and on the other hand the boy without talk had seem appease their company. Jules lay on his bed in stay to though about all of that. What could be the reason for a person to not wand talk with the ones who had helped her? Fogg had been right, the boy was certainly not dumb, and they had heard him said low but clearly, not the orphanage. It was the reason Fogg had decided to take him in asking at the carriage's owner to drop them at Saville row, what the man had agreed on happy to be of help without have to durst more his hands, in all the meaning of the terms, Jules laughs aloud, god was to know than the boy had been dusty on that moment, and he was again since they had next moved the less possible because his hurt leg and head. Fogg had even said on a low tone once at the house' door than his boots were certainly to look and to smelt better. Jules stays smiling in close his eyes and go slowly toward the sleep.

In the morning, Phileas was the first to get up. After readying himself for the day, he walked down stairs and looked around. As the boy had sleep a long moment in the day and had surely next fall asleep late in the night with Passepartout at his side, the good valet was certainly again asleep and with the travel planned it was better to lets him sleep since the man would be of a great help with the young guest they had got. So Phileas busies himself in the kitchen, and after had burn himself slightly in making toast, make a large mess in making egg and grumble a lot in ready the coffee, he succeed to build a edible breakfast for two to bring in the young guest room.

The boy was awake by the sound of the door open and Phileas walked in the room first in play the same game than the boy in say nothing, after all the gentleman, though two could play to that game. He puts the tray on the night stand and used the chair by the bed for next grab his coffee cup and sip that as the boy looked on him first quiet but next a bit more stir. On what the gentleman puts his cup back in the tray and crossed his arms on his chest in look on the boy ready for a long waiting in said, "We know both that you're nor deaf, neither than dumb not more than I'm a soothsayer. So if you wand anything from me, you will need ask for, nor in gest neither than in humming, in words and that politely in add please before and thank after. You're seriously in need to learn about society live as well than several other usefull principes as ownership. But actualy, after I heard you said not the orphanage, I take that the good old ways would not work on you because they was over used and not always at the need."

In saw the boy eyes harden as he was to look on him, Phileas knows than the game would not to be an easy one. When the boy keeps his gaze on him and tries a tactique in bring his small hand for squeeze a part on himself and in seem frantic always in only lets sound escape his mouth, Phileas sighs lourdly. The man gets up and takes the tray in hand, "Right, I'm not care for your clothes, not more than for the bed, go on. I will take my breakfast as well than your in the dinning room. See you later." He said and walked to the door when the angry boy go on a compromise, "Please." he said on a small complaining voice. The man had asked for so he given a bit but not as much than asked, it was a good bet and it could got him help and permit to him to keep close that meal which was to smell really good. On the word Phileas stopped his step and looked on the boy, "Please. No too bad for a first time. At less, I got a word out of you and not a light one, if I judge you rightly." He sit the tray back on the night stand before carry the boy to the water closet and bring him back as Jules come out of his room. Leaving with them the joy of the warm morning meal untouched, and going away in bring only his cup, Phileas said to them than he had to out.

Later in the day, as Rebecca had said about the evening before they meeted all at the Aurora after Phileas have missed the full first sentence the boy had said in seeing the Aurora, what was only three words, but was to worth a lot more. "That is great!", he had said with all the wounder of a child in front of a such beauty. Jules had been assigned at the steering ball while a happy Passepartout had run to his workshop while Rebecca had entertaining the best she coud the young boy sit on the bench with his leg up who was come back in a half version of his silent and Phileas had put away the pakages with which he was arrived.

The few hours of travel had seembled long. The boy had talked a bit with Rebecca and Jules happy to travel on board a such thing. Next, he was stay to watch Phileas play alone to solitary in being sit at the table in front of him but curious to see Passepartout come back with two modified sticks and had said him that it could serve him to walk alone and Rebecca and him had helped to try the crutchs and soon after they had land the airship in the snowed ground of the estate but this time rather than be happy the boy had been scarried and had used the crutches for go as fast than he could for hide behind the feet of the spiral stairs. Rebecca had walked to the front of that slowly and smiling for said him he was save, but Jules looked on Passepartout out of understanding in said, "He fear that the manor is an orphanage." And not matter what Rebecca, Passepartout or Jules said, the boy stay silent and well hide benind the stair until Phileas come close and put a knee on the floor with his hand inviting the boy to take that and come out, in said him, "Listen, I know than for you a gentleman word not worth much than spit on the groung, but I can promit you than here no one will beat on you. It's my house, just as the other one at London is and the airship is mine too."

As the boy didn't move, the man added, "There, give to it a try, if you not like that, you can come back here, in the airship. But Mrs Handerson cook just as well if not better that Passepartout and the mannor is certainly warmed than the Aurora with a good fire in the fireplace." He didn't need to said more, the boy did cath his hand and with his help come out of his hide place what made the three other friends smiles amused than Phileas Fogg could have that kind of attitude with children. So Passepartout carried the pakages they all need bring in while Phileas and Jules walked each side of the boy for be sure steady his badly assured steps with the crutches in the snow as the staff was all come out for greet them. The young boy' presence was even to seem bring bright smiles on their faces, what made the boy stop and found a strong reassuring hand on his shoulder. The boy take a deep breath and walked again in keep his game to talk only when he was to feel than he couldn't made otherwise and always said the minimum.

After the greeting outside and word shared between the staff and then travelers, they come all inside and the first good look of a maid on him made the boy almost shake. "Your young friend, Sir, seem in need of a good bath and fresh clothes, shall I made that?" "No, thank Maria, but Passepartout will handle of that in a moment." He said while Mcgiver, the intendant, was to question Rebecca at distance about the young durty guest. Rebecca said a bit for next follow Phileas, Jules and the young boy for the sitting room as Passepartout leaved the packages where they would be better since they was almost all chrismas gifts. Once all warmed and to have all eaten a good meal cooked by Mrs Handerson, Phileas asked to Passepartout to draw a bath for the young boy and next to help him to wash with his hurted leg keeped out of the water.

Once the boy clean and wearing a night shirt usualy learn to Jules, since it was what was of smaller they had under the hand. But the boy was to give the impression to float in the gardment. Passepartout carry him downstairs but the boy prefered look around in use the crutches as the adults was busy to other talking. He was not to wand answer questions even if they had all prouved to be nice with him. Even that cold and hard gentleman, at who he had take the watch away, was to seem being nice after all. When the boy found himself in the kitchen where Mcgiver and Mrs Handerson, two of the elder member of the staff, were to talk in drink mugs of warm tea, the both of them could not deny the evidence not more than say nothing about. And after a good look on the darkhaired young boy with his green eyes and his already well shown caracter in his face, one of them lets escape, "Good lord, the lad looks just as Sir Phileas at his age." On these words and all the implication of that, the boy walked slowly out of the kitchen and once sure no one had follow him, he lets fall the crutches and forgetting his hurted leg as well than his undressing state for open a door and runned out for a place to hide.

As Passepartout was to look for the boy, Mcgiver said he had saw the boy in the kitchen a moment ago and he was go away after the mention of his looking as the Lord of the mannor. Passepartout shakes his head and passed by the gallerie for saw the portrait for the family Fogg done before Lady Boniface' death. The two young boys was effectively similar and as the panicked Passepartout did run to said it to the others, he found the crutches on the floor. Taking the items, he continued his way in cry frantic to his master, "Master, Master, he runned away!" The gentleman as well than Rebecca and Jules come in a hurry to the domestic.

"How the hell he could had runned away? He was not even able to walk up right?"

"What happened Passepartout? He's probably only hide here in the mannor, we know all its enough big for a child to hide, we was used to do ourself, Phileas."

"We sould look in the mannor then, I will help you Rebecca."

"Hell, the Aurora, he probably only go back there. Look inside, I go for the outside." The gentleman said in catch his overcoat and run out, followed by Passepartout who made same in put his own overcoat on.

It was really cold and snowny outside and the steps in the darkness was not really easy to see but for a former trained agent, "He went toward the stable."

"Go alone, Master, the boy react better to you than to us."

"No sense, Passepartout. Come on."

"I'm serious, Master. The boy need you. It is a link, a bound, a reason he talked to you first."

"Ah! Shall up! Passepartout. The only reason he talked to me first was because I forced his hand, in a way to talk. Now, better we found and bring him back in the warm or he will catch his death."

"No, Master." The domestic said in stop to walk, "He is your son. He knows that. It is wrote on his face, on his head, in his eyes."

Phileas sighs aloud, "I bet it's again one of your fit, man! It's really not because it will be Christmas in few hours that it mean people' child fall from the sky. At last, it's not happen since since more than 1800 year ago. All what I done it's to try give a better time to a child who was seriously in need of that. Now, go back in the mannor, be sure there was a good fire and warm blankets as well than soup." He ordoned on a new worry tone which had replaced the angry one. Passepartout shows a sad glaze not remarked by the other man in the darkness and the nasty wheater, but he walked back to the mannor as the other man walked to the stable.

In the stable, the air was a lot better than outside, but far to be as good than inside the mannor. Phileas walked in grap the oil lamp lets by the door my Peter for his usual round or when he was in need to look on the horses in the night. Digging in his pocket for found allumets to light the lamp, Phileas called on a usual tone, "Hey, lad, are you there? You know the things would be a lot simpliest if you had said me you name a moment ago." Kneel for but the fire in the lamp, Phileas leaved the allumet in and closed the lamp' window for be sure it stay save. Once his hands away of it, he saw the boy' shadow over him, for heard on a chastising tone, "You never said your to me! At last, I got a good reason for not said that, but you! People give name to there horses, to theirs cat or dog, but no one ever done for me, except for that bad name they used for describe me!"

Phileas looked on him in try to lighted a bit the boy' feeling, "Perhaps, than since they did not done, they all given an opportunity to you to pick one for yourself. Do you really believe I would had called myself Phileas Plato Fogg if I had got the choice. Or my brother, Erathmus Arthur Fogg, if he had got the same opputunity. My father was a lover of philosophy." He said in takes out his over coat and offerering that to the boy and remaking that he was nude feet. "Oh! Damn it! You're good for catch a pleumonia!" he said his voice getting an upper level or two. The boy fearing to be beaten up stepped backward, "Your promite no one would beat on me, but you was to exclude yourself of that promise!", the scarried boy said. Phileas gets up in sight, "Right, for had take and not give back that watch you should deserve that, same for all worry us sick in run out in a snow storm in that dressing. But if I did't lift my hand on you before, I not see why I sould began now. Come on, you need come back in the warm house. You not need to live that way anymore. I offert you three warm meals each day, a confortable bed each night and new clothes tomorrow and each time it will be a needing." "I could stay with you?" "Your choice, and we can discuss the terms tomorrow, for now, we need got you out of there and back in the house."

The boy looked on him and after a small moment take the coat and putted that on. Phileas come close and carry the boy in his arm, the lamps in the other hand in being sure at last one of them would have less cold than the other. And after the walk back, two people bring the boy to the fire, while Phileas rids himself of the show covering his clothes. The remain of the evening passed in front of the fire to talk and to drink warm liquid. For once, the Christmas Eve had been full of event since longtime ago.

The boy mades his choice and agreed to stay with the Foggs at Shilingworth Magna. All found admusing than he didn't got even a cold in his escape in a snow storm in being to wear on only a three side too big cotton nightshirt when the gow man, who had wear his full suit without his overcoat, stay stuck in a bed a full week because a bronchia. When the time to bring back Jules Verne to Paris come, the boy asked to stay at the country estate, what was agreed since the boy asked to stay for take care of the white horse which had help to keep him warm in agreed him in its stall. After talked a lot more with Rebecca, Passepartout and Jules, he had found his name and was pride of it. Now, he had only to made that agreed by the other main interessed and it would be the harder part of that, since he had pick Randolph Aristote Fogg as name. He was far to be sure it would please as much to his father than it would have done to his grand father, Sir Boniface Herderness Fogg.

End.