Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
826
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,689

The Start

Summary:

Morgan/Reid fic
Rating:FRT (some slashiness, nothing big)
Summary: Morgan reflects on the events of "Derailed". Spoilers if you haven't seen it yet.
Author's notes: This is the first part of a arc (hopefully) and this pairing just kind of ... came out of no where. My mom suggested it, which is creepy if I stop to think about it. And I would like to state for the record that Morgan/Garcia is my OTP. Also, I used spell check and reread three times but I don't have a beta at the moment. I'm an ex-English major so I won't get offended if you give corrections with your comments :) This is also listed on my Criminal Minds fanfic community on livejournal. BAU_FIC
Submitted through the Criminal Minds Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

The Start
by Marvinetta

Derek Morgan was furious. Reid had been busy - getting on a train with a psychopath, taking off his bulletproof vest, trying a magic trick to placate said psychopath, and almost getting shot when nothing else worked. Gideon had finally made the choice to get on the train himself when the gun shot sounded. For a few minutes Morgan's heart seemed to have stopped. When he finally saw Reid step off the train, his hands covered in blood, Morgan's first thought was to throttle him.

Instead there were endless questions, countless phone calls, and two people going to the hospital. Morgan chose to ride in the ambulance with the psychiatrist instead of her patient. He wasn't sure when it had happened, but he suddenly felt the urge to beat up anyone who threatened Reid. And it wasn't as platonic an urge as it was when he first met the young doctor.

Talking to the woman on the way to the hospital had been pretty useless. All she did was apologize for Bryan's behavior and say how sorry she was and she didn't know what happened. He had taken notes and been ushered out of the emergency room while they prepped her for surgery. Now as he sat waiting for Hotch to drive them back to the airfield, he focused on how exactly he had gone from platonic to not-so-platonic feelings.

Reid wasn't anything spectacular to look at, and if it wasn't for his height he'd blend in like he was part of the wall paper. His eyes, however, were so wide and young that Mrogan wondered how Reid could still be so childlike and innocent considering what they did for a living. Reid rarely smiled, but when he did it lit up the room.

Hell, Reid had killed a man and it didn't seem to affect him. Morgan had no idea how Reid's mind worked, and he found himself wanting to find out more and more lately. But there were several problems blocking his path. Almost no one knew Morgan liked both sexes, except Garcia who had called him on it after beating him 23 times in a row at Dr. Mario. No one knew which way Reid swung, or if he did at all. And it wasn't a good thing to get involved with people in your unit, especially if it was the same gender.

Yet the fact remained that Reid got under Morgan's skin. Hearing Reid volunteer to get on the train, watching him take off the vest, and hearing that gunshot had all made Morgan's stomach churn. When Reid had asked them to look like he was coming back, Morgan couldn't form any words. And then when Reid had gotten off the train, the urge to hug or strangle was powerful enough that Morgan had a headache from grinding his teeth.

"You look angry." Morgan jumped at the sound of Reid's voice suddenly next to him. The younger man slumped down on to the bench next to him and instantly started inspecting the sidewalk. Reid hated making eye contact with people.

"I am." The words came out harsher than he had intended and he watched Reid flinch slightly. With a sigh Morgan ran his hands across his face. "Not at you - even if you did take off the damned vest. You had us all really worried."

"I had to. He would have shot someone if I hadn't."

"You did good, anyway," Morgan ignored Reid's mild protest. "The drunk kid actually thought there was a microchip implanted. Hotch gave up trying to convince him otherwise."

"Yeah, I want to see the tape of that. Elle was pretty impressed," Reid gave Morgan one those rare smiles and he couldn't help but smile back. Then Reid dropped his eyes again and went back to inspecting the concrete. The smile faded slowly. "You don't think I'm weird do you, Morgan? With the statistics and the magic tricks and knowing obscure literature, I mean."

"Everyone is weird, Doc. You know that."

"That doesn't answer my question, though."

"You're not weird, Reid. If you were, we wouldn't worry about you." Morgan gave in to a small impulse and squeezed Reid's shoulder. Reid met his eyes for a moment and gave a weak smile before dropping his eyes once again.

"Thanks," Reid mumbled as Hotch pulled the SUV up in front of them and Morgan's hand fell away. As the rest of the team climbed in and started talking about what had happened, Morgan realized that the young man's smiles were coming more easily and more frequently. And even if Morgan thought Reid was one of the most bizarre people he'd ever met, he'd never admit it outloud.

end