Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-06-06
Words:
3,026
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
6
Kudos:
23
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,827

Running Away

Summary:

Danny runs from all he has ever known, or wanted to know. Set after 'On The Job'. Mac/Danny, Horatio/Speed. Crossover.

Chapter Text

Timothy Speedle sighed in relief as he closed a case file. His shift had been surprisingly normal and easy, which he was infinitely grateful for. Horatio had already gone home, and Speed was glad for a quiet evening for the first time in awhile.

"Speed?" He glanced up at Calleigh who was standing at the entrance to the Trace Lab, smiling cheerfully.

"Something you wanted?"

"Did Horatio mention a new guy?" At Speed's nod, she continued "I wanted to introduce him before you left" She reached out behind her and pulled a young man into the room.

"Speed, meet-"

"Danny!" Speed finished for her, staring in shock. Danny, for it was indeed Daniel Messer of the NYC crime unit gave a world-weary, bittersweet smile as he returned the greeting.

"Hey Speed"

-------------------

Speed pulled Danny into the Lab, sitting him on a chair and smiling thanks to Calleigh, who grinned brightly and swept off to get her results.

"Explain" he demanded, arms folded as he leaned on the table.

"Don't you have to get home?" Danny asked, obviously trying to get out of explanations to his friend.

"I have at least half-an-hour to spare, H will understand" he replied, eyes narrowed.

"I had to get out of New York" Danny looked away, and met Speed's eyes reluctantly "I shot a cop, Speed"

"You didn't even hit him, Danny, none the less kill him" He repeated details he heard from a phone conversation between Mac and Horatio.

"But the fact I shot at a cop is still there" Danny hung his head, looking defeated "That's all they see, the cops are just waiting for me to screw up so they can say 'I told you so, no Messer can ever be decent'"

"Did you talk to Mac before you left?" Speed asked, although he already knew the answer. If Danny had talked to Mac he probably wouldn't be sitting in front of him, he'd be in New York, where he really belonged.

"To be honest, I kinda avoided him" Danny shrugged "He put my paperwork through, but other than that..." Another shrug.

"So no last minute declarations of love?" Speed smirked when Danny flushed slightly, through his mouth was drawn downwards in a frown.

"Hell no. He...he doesn't..." Danny voice now sounded strained as he looked back up at Speed "He doesn't trust me"

While it was obvious why Mac should be a little suspicious of Danny, the openly pained expression on Danny's face made it hard to place blame. Speed sighed, and glanced up at the clock. It was getting late.

"We'll have to sort this out" Speed frowned "Didn't anybody try to convince you to stay?"

"Flack and Aiden did, and I think Stella talked to Mac" Danny smiled slightly "I could hear the cursing in Greek from down the hall" Danny stood as Speed did, walking with him to his motorcycle.

"I'll see you tomorrow Danny" Speed paused "Try not to dwell on it, alright? It's not your fault"

Danny nodded slightly, though the sad slant to his grin refused to leave.

----------------

Horatio leaned around the door as Speed walked in, hair dishevelled from the ride back.

"What kept you?"

"Oh, nothing" Speed's eyes narrowed "Except one Daniel Messer"

TBC...