Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
447
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,295

Drabble: The War

Summary:

small scene based on the ep "The War"

Work Text:

Danny and Joey sat on the couch together at Danny's apartment, just watching TV. It was nice to have a quiet evening alone, where they could put work out of their minds and simply enjoy being together. Danny had his arm around Joey's shoulders and Joey rested a hand on Danny's knee.

The phone rang and the two glanced at each other. There were few reasons why anyone would be calling this late and most of them weren't good. Joey glared at it. "Don't answer it."

"I wish it were that simple, but we both know that it isn't," Danny answered ruefully and reached over to the end table with his free hand to answer it. "Hello." He immediately tensed and sat up straight. "What is it, Mike?"

Joey looked at Danny with concern and listened.

Danny frowned. "Is Julie all right?...Oh, I'm so sorry, Mike. Is there anything I can do? You want me to...But...All right. I'll see you tomorrow."

Joey watched Danny slowly hang up. He saw the shocked, troubled look on his lover's face and rubbed Danny's knee. "What is it? What's happened to Julie?"

Danny took a deep breath and put his arm back around Joey. He gave Joey a squeeze. "Julie lost the baby."

Joey shook his head. "Oh, no. How?"

Danny shrugged. "Don't know," he answered helplessly. "But Julie's okay, at least physically. She asked Mike to leave her alone. He doesn't want any company, said he's gonna go out for a walk to try and clear his head. I just hope he doesn't go and do something stupid."

Joey leaned against Danny, seeking to provide and receive comfort. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "They both wanted that baby so badly."

Danny sighed heavily. "I know." He smiled very briefly. "Julie was absolutely glowing earlier and Mike's been so proud."

"Is there anything we can do for them?"

Danny rubbed Joey's back and answered, "Not at the moment."

Joey shook his head again at the injustice of it. "Damn," he swore softly.

"My sentiments exactly," Danny said flatly. He stood and went to switch off the TV. Then he came back to Joey and held out his hand. "It's late and there's nothing we can do right now. Let's get some sleep. Mike'll need us in the morning."

"Okay." Joey took Danny's hand and got to his feet. He didn't let go. "This sucks, Danny."

Danny turned off the lamp and started leading the way back to the bedroom. "Yes, it does."