Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
766
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,400

Cheating

Summary:

Disclaimer: I do not own NCIS. I do not own the episode "Dead Man Talking". I am not making any money.
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Rating: FRT-13 for one swear word and basic mentions of slash.
Summary: Tony ponders the events of the Voss case in relation to him and Gibbs.
Warnings: bit of angst
Spoilers: episode "Dead Man Talking"
Archive: if you want
Submitted through the Navy NCIS slash mailing list.

Work Text:

Cheating
by Chrissy

Tony POV

There have been a lot of cases that have affected my relationship with Jethro. One of the more prominent occurred barely a week ago. It was when Chris was murdered by Voss/Amanda. To a spectator of the case events it would seem as if it was business as usual except that the victim was a friend. Reading between the lines, however, there was more than that going on.

To start with Gibbs ordered Cait and I over to Chris's apartment.

"Tonight?" Cait was incredulous.

"Yes. Tonight," replied Gibbs in the tone 'that means stop complaining right now'.

Cait hesitates then says, "I need to make a call." She pulls out her cell phone and presumably dials Dwayne's number.

While she's busy with that he asks me, "Is there anyone you need to call, DiNozzo?" He says it the same sarcastic way he spoke to Cait but I know there's more behind it. We had plans for that night. He's asking if I'm okay with staying.

"No. No calls boss," I answered. It meant I was cool with it. I don't know how else I could have answered. The case was personal and it was important to him. He had even temporarily forgotten the terrorist, though the background check still ran on his desk.

Of course I am used to work getting in the way of our 'us time'. I guess you sort of adjust and find those little moments when you can share something. Like when we rented the apartment.

Jethro was on the phone getting details from Agent Todd when he spotted the sign in the window. He explained his hunch about the picture then spoke to the manager of the building.

"Is your apartment still for rent?"

"Are you guys..." the man looked uncomfortable for a moment then finished awkwardly, "...together?"

If I could have seen my face I bet it would have been funny, Jethro's sure was. All I managed to get out was, "No, it's not like you're thinking." Seriously, it was the truth since these were business hours. Rule Number Twelve is no dating coworkers, but we added a clause that is strictly company time.

As Gibbs interrogates the manager, I ponder the situation only half listening. This was the first time we weren't acting couplish that someone thought we might be together. I wonder if a perfect stranger can tell how long it will be before more than just Abby knows.

The next time our relationship came into play in the case was setting up the stakeout. The reason Jethro didn't offer Cait time with McGee was so that we would be able to focus. I was disappointed but had expected it to happen. Anyway, McGee's not that bad and I like that he's so gullible. What made him think that he actually fooled me with the "do nothing" prank idea? Even I am smarter than that.

The most memorable part of that case was finding out Amanda was Voss. Abby tried to tell me I freaked because he/she was the murderer. That was a lot of BS. I've been undercover lots of times before; I've necked with plenty of suspects. I freaked because it felt like I was cheating. I heard the jealousy beyond the worry in Jethro when I called him back. Women don't feel like cheating: I can look and flirt, even kiss if it's for a case. This was different as soon as I found out. It might still have been for the job, but I don't know why but I suddenly felt very, very guilty.

That look he gave me after Voss was shot had a hurt expression on it. I knew I had some hard thinking to do and some difficult discussions ahead.

Finally that comment Cait made sealed it. I was asking for it. I said I could take it.

"What was it like tonguing a guy?" she said, smirk on her face.

The full force of it hit me in my gut. I had to get out of there. "Forget it. I can't take it," was the only excuse I had to offer.

I've come to this conclusion: Jethro is the only man I'm going to enjoy. The only man I'm going to give pleasure to. From now on I'm gonna take the time to show him that I love him.

end