Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
616
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,058

Pride and Joy

Summary:

A letter to Ian

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Pride and Joy

Dear Ian,

I know pride goeth before a fall, but, every time I see you, I think you are beautiful. The way you move in grace and mystery. Even in your dark acts there is nobility. It is ironic that with all your training you never see me. I suppose it is unfair to judge. You are too intent on your mission. Watch and protect the wielder. I do the same. Yet, my purpose is different. I watch her for you.

She, too, is beautiful. She is your mirror. You and she have shared lives, before. You have common bonds, common dreams. In this world, you both have yet to realize this. The Witchblade reveals things to you, but it hasn't broken through the scripted realities of your current lives. She sees, but she cannot accept...and you cannot quite reach her.

She is meant for you, Ian...no matter what Kenneth Irons told you. In the past, you protected her to serve him. Now, you protect her for her sake...to serve her. But, you are not her servant, either. You are her soul mate. I know you still don't feel deserving of her, even with what I tell you, now.

As a child, I saw visions of a strange bracelet (which I know now to be the Witchblade) and a beautiful man and woman who were always together in spirit, if not always together in life. Sometimes, the visions were dark and frightening and I reacted violently, trying to rid myself of the terror.

For some reason, I possessed extraordinary physical strength and when I lashed out at the visions, I terrified my family, even hurt them on occasion. I didn't want them to come to any additional harm on my account. When I was twelve, I left. I lived on the streets. Eleven years later, I almost killed a man, during one of my episodes. The authorities were called.

I was bound for a mental institution, but a stranger intervened. The man was Kenneth Irons. He was intrigued by what he had heard about me. He wanted to use me to create you. He succeeded and I was expendable. He ordered his men to kill me. But, unbeknownst to Irons, I survived. Whatever contributed to my unnatural strength also protected me from death. Another thing he didn't realize. My visions were psychic, not psychotic, in nature.

I remember the day I realized who you were. You had grown into a young man. I saw you go out with Irons that day. When I saw your face, it was the same as the man's face in my vision. Somehow, I knew you were my son. I felt anguish like I had never felt before.

Damn Irons. He used me. I wasn't supposed to know you existed. I could have nothing to do with you, but I knew how Irons mistreated you. I had visions that showed me his cruelty and the beatings. Ian, I know you didn't come away emotionally unscarred. That makes me profoundly sad. I also know that you survived, and for as much as you went through, you are a good man. That makes me proud.

Ian, I have always longed for us to know each other. If I revealed myself to you, would I do more harm than good? Best to stay out of your life, I think. The time will come when you and Sara will know who you are to each other. For now, I will watch over both of you.

Maybe, one day, you will see me, now that you know I am around.
Ian, my son, I love you.

Your Father,

Lazar Nottingham

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Struck.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.