Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
654
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
802

Wishes

Summary:

If only he had the time...

Work Text:

„Hey."

Nick Stokes startled slightly when he felt a hand on his shoulder, waking him gently.

"Hey," he replied, yawning heartily. "How did you know I was here?"

Gil Grissom pulled a chair over, and sat down next to Nick.

"Sara told me."

Nick frowned. Sara? Why should she tell Grissom...

"I called the lab. Guess who answered? Sara. God, she really needs to get a life." the older man sighed.

Nick's gaze went back to Cassie. "I thought, I'd stay here. Just in case she has a nightmare and wakes up," he whispered.

Gil nodded, and reached for Nick's hand. Then he pulled him closer, and gave him a quick kiss. But suddenly he saw a tear in lover's eye.

"Nicky? You okay?"

Nick shook his head. "No," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion. "This girl's a fighter. That bastard slit her throat, but she survived. She told me everything. It nearly broke my heart. What will happen to her now?"

Gil caressed the other man's hand. "I guess she'll go into foster care until they find someone who'll adopt her. Why?"

"If only I had the time..." Nick stopped suddenly, swallowed heavily, then he continued, "If only I'd have the time, I'd love to take her. She's so strong."

"Reminds you of someone?" Gil teased lightly. Now Nick smiled a little.

"Yeah." Suddenly Nick looked down at the floor. "I...ah...did Sara tell you something about the case?"

"She told me anything."

The younger man closed his eyes in embarrassement. "Then you know..."

"...that you lost it? Yes, she told me that, too. I guess she hoped I would reprimand you."

"Do you?"

Gil shook his head, and smiled one of his rare smiles. "No. Maybe I'd have done the same."

For a few minutes they stayed silent, watching the little girl sleep, the steady rising and falling of her chest, every now and then her hands twitched.

"You know that I would help you, right?"

Gil's whispered statement caught the younger man by surprise. "You would?"

"As you said, she's a fighter. And she reminds me of you."

Gil's eyes caught Nick's. "But you know that we can't do this, right? We don't have the time, and we don't have the knowledge to care for her."

Nick nodded, a sad expression in his dark eyes. "I know, I know. It's just..."

Gil pressed his hand a little, and opened his mouth to answer him, when suddenly...

"I, too, wish you'd have the time for me."

Both men turned to the bed, and looked at the little girl who was awake, and reciprocated the look without any fear.

Nick's smile was so tender and loving that it almost broke Gil's heart.

"I know, sweetie. But we can't do this. I'm so sorry."

Cassie nodded. Sleepiness claimed her once more. She yawned widely, then she reached out for Nick who grabbed her hand in a gentle grip.

"Will you come and visit me?"

"Yes, honey. Yes, I'll come and visit you." Nick almost choked on his barely hidden tears. The intelligent eyes of the girl went from Nick's and Gil's joined hands to Gil's face.

"Will you come, too?"

Gil cocked his head slightly. "If you want me to."

Cassie nodded and yawned again. Slowly she closed her eyes, and was asleep again within a few seconds.

The end