Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
4,580
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,350

Wish Upon a Star

Summary:

Jack gets his biggest wish - Daniel!

Work Text:

Wish Upon a Star
Author: Orrymain
Author Email: marciastudley@comcast.net (Feedback welcome)
Category: Slash, Romance, Missing Scene, First Time
Pairing: Jack/Daniel .... and it's all J/D
Rating: PG-13
Season: 2 - late June 1998
Spoilers: Serpent's Lair, and very teensy ones for Fire and Water, Solitudes, Torment of Tantalus, and Cold Lazarus
Size: 26kb, short story
Written: August 10-26, 2003 Revised: October 9, 2003
Archive: Area52, Comfort Zone, FanFiction.Net, Cartouche, AlphaGate, TheBoy
Disclaimer: Usual disclaimers -- not mine, wish they were, especially Daniel, and Jack, too, but they aren't. This was a whim; all in fun. I don't have anything to do with them legally!
Summary: Jack gets his biggest wish - Daniel!
Notes:
1) Thanks to Judy who urged me to take this piece from a larger fic and give it its own home. It's definitely a better fic as a result.
2) Quotes beginning and ending with an asterisk "*" are silent, unspoken thoughts.

Wish Upon a Star
by Orrymain

The last few weeks had been difficult. Daniel had gone through the quantum mirror to discover an alternate reality, and what he had learned suggested that the Goa'uld would be coming after Earth. He had tried desperately to convince SG-1 of the danger, and while wanting to believe him, they had been skeptical.

Eventually, with the threat of Senator Kinsey having the Stargate project shut down, and Daniel's persistence, his teammates had realized they needed to protect their planet from invasion. The four had gated to coordinates Daniel had brought back with him from the alternate reality, not realizing they were gating to a Goa'uld mother ship.

The whole thing had been like a nightmare. Klorel had tried to kill Daniel, and Jack had to kill Klorel, so he had thought, but later Bra'tac had told them he had put Klorel into a sarcophagus to keep him alive.

They had been blinded for awhile, and captured, but had managed to escape. And then, the worst had happened.

"Let's go! Daniel, watch our backs!" Jack had ordered, and Daniel had their backs covered.

The young man, the "geeky" archaeologist, had taken out a string of Jaffa in the mother ship halls, before collapsing from the staff blast that had shot through his body.

"Jack!," Daniel had cried out.

Jack had been stunned by the sight of his friend, sitting on the floor, blood oozing from his body. Jack's heart had pounded in disbelief and despair as he had approached his best friend who was much more than that. To Jack, Daniel had been his heart, a reason for living.

Daniel had told Jack to leave him, pleading, "I'm dead anyway," but Jack hadn't wanted to go. Only the threat of the destruction of Earth had forced Jack away from the younger man.

The two had stared into each other's eyes. It had only been a few seconds, but for both them, it had been an eternity. Jack had reached out with his left hand, placing it on Daniel's cheek and caressing it briefly before pulling away, leaving his heart behind.

SG-1 had left Daniel to die and finish their mission. Setting the C-4 to explode, Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Bra'tac had escaped in death gliders, and soon thereafter had been rescued by the space shuttle Endeavor.

The crew of the Endeavor had been ecstatic, but SG-1 had been in pain and had only wanted to be left alone.

Jack, in particular, had found a corner and shut himself off. He had known that when they arrived back to the SGC that he would have to put on a show, like the good little CO he was, but on the shuttle, he had needed time to mourn, to reflect silently on the man he loved.

*I'm sorry, Danny. I never should have let you go through that gate. Never should have. Geez, Danny. How do I go on now? I left you there. I can't live with that, Danny, with seeing your face, looking at me like that.

*Danny, what was that look? You love Sha're. I know that, but I thought ... your eyes, Danny, I thought I saw something there.

*I'm a jerk, Daniel. You're dead and here I am wishing you felt the same way I do about you when I should be grieving.

*I can't do this, Danny. I'm done. I'm so sorry, Danny. So sorry.*

Jack's heart had ached, crying for Daniel. His soul had been filling with darkness, draining of any warmth he had stored there since those early days on Abydos.

"Sir? What ... what happened to Daniel?" Sam had tears in her eyes, her need to know about her friend having consumed her. She had a right to know, but Jack couldn't, not yet.

Jack hadn't been able to share his emotion, not this pain. He had thought he had died when Charlie had. Jack had lived only because of Daniel. Now, Daniel was gone, too. He couldn't think about anything. He hadn't been ready to play the brave military game yet either.

Jack had stood up, looking at Sam stoicly, and as unemotionally as possible, he had said, "He saved our lives, Carter, and then he died."

Jack had walked away, saying nothing more during the long flight home. He had kept his distance from Sam and Teal'c, and had done only the bare minimum of what had been required of him as the CO of SG-1.

When they had entered the SGC, Jack had his game face on. He would play this out, play the hero, flash the victory smile, go along with the "but the cost was high" speeches, and then Jack would be gone. He was going to get as far away from the SGC, M-5's, and the Goa'uld as he could get. He had been through.

And then a miracle had happened. Jack had considered it nothing less than that -- a miracle of the highest level.

"SG-1, there's someone who would like to see you," is what Hammond had said, a smile breaking out on his face.

Jack's throat had a lump in it. His heart had literally stopped. His eyes had been moist.

*It can't be, but please be* Jack had prayed, and then he had seen him, his heart walking towards him, alive, whole, healthy.

Jack hadn't care how, he only knew that God had given him the biggest blessing he ever could have -- the blessing of Daniel Jackson, alive and well.

Jack had rushed to Daniel, pulling him into an embrace, in front of the Marines and Hammond and everyone. *Screw 'em all*. Jack had only cared about the man he held in his arms.

"Space Monkey," he had said, ruffling the young man's hair.

Daniel had the biggest grin Jack had ever seen from him. Daniel had never smiled like that - never. He had also been speechless, which surprised Jack. Daniel never had nothing to say.

As Daniel had been embraced and greeted by others, Jack had watched, never far from him. He wouldn't be letting Daniel out of his sight for quite a while. They had made eye contact a few times.

*What's that look, Danny? What was in that smile? I've never seen you look like that before. Danny, I love you.*

Hammond had eventually rounded up SG-1 for a short debriefing, just to get the basic details.

"It's been a long few days. Take 48 hours, and we'll do a full debriefing at 0900 on Monday. Dismissed."

Thirty minutes later, Jack walked into the locker room and saw Daniel standing by his locker. He had already changed into his short sleeve red tee shirt and blue jeans. Jack stood for a moment and just stared.

*You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, Daniel.*

"Hey, Jack." Daniel smiled, a gleam in his eye.

"Hey yourself. Quite a day."

Jack walked to his locker and began to change into his gray sweatshirt and blue jeans, his soul coming back to life with each minute he realized it hadn't been a dream, and that Daniel was alive, and standing only a few feet away.

"Yeah, long day," Daniel agreed.

When Jack finished changing, he noticed Daniel was sitting quietly at the bench in front of his locker, facing Jack. Seeing Jack notice, the younger man smiled shyly, warming Jack's heart.

"Pizza?" Jack asked, a hope in his voice.

Daniel nodded, and Jack put on his coat and they headed for the elevators, walking in silence.

*What's going on, Danny? You ... waited for me. I didn't have to wrestle you to convince you to come over for pizza. And now we're in the elevator, and you're ... close, very close. Not complaining, you understand, but Danny, what's that look in your eye?*

They walked into the parking lot, and both pulled out their keys to their vehicles. They stood and looked at each other for a moment.

"Danny ..." Jack looked off towards Daniel's car, and then over to his truck, and back at Daniel. It was silly, but Jack really didn't want to let Daniel out of his sight.

"Jack, would you mind. I ... I really don't feel like ... I mean ..."

"Come on, Danny."

Jack motioned for Daniel to follow, which he did, putting his keys back into his pocket. They didn't talk about it any further. Jack opened the truck, they got in, and drove to his house in a peaceful quiet.

They picked up a pizza on the way home and devoured it fairly quickly.

"Guess we were hungry."

"Guess so," Daniel quietly agreed, taking a sip of the beer Jack had given him.

"Why don't we go up on the roof for a while?"

"Sure."

It was cold outside, but the crispness of the air made the two feel alive. Daniel started to sit down in one of the two chairs Jack kept on the roof deck, but Jack tapped him on the forearm.

"Let's sit down here, Danny."

Jack sat on the deck, his back against the wall of the house. Daniel shrugged and joined him. Their shoulders brushed together often as they sat side by side.

The stars were shining brightly, the night clear.

"Can't believe we were up there. It looks so innocent, so new."

"I know what you mean. Never thought I'd be in outer space, not even going through the Stargate."

"Danny ..."

"You had to go, Jack."

Jack nodded. He would never forget leaving Daniel behind, and he would never do it again. *Never*.

The short debriefing had given Jack the answers to his question of how his miracle was alive. Daniel had explained it. Jack cringed as he replayed Daniel's words in his mind.

"I knew I was dying, but then I remembered the sarcophagus and managed to get to it. I put myself in and fortunately, it worked. There wasn't much time left when the sarc opened, so I ran and dialed the alpha site, and then returned to the SGC."

"Jack?"

"I should have thought of it. I shouldn't have left you."

"Jack, you had to. You didn't have a choice. I ... didn't think of it either, until ... after."

Jack looked into Daniel's eyes. It was there again, that look. It had to be his imagination. Daniel had known Jack was in love with him since he and Sam had been stranded in Antarctica. Jack had promised him he'd never make Daniel feel uncomfortable. They were best friends. Jack would never jeopardize that, not even now.

"Danny ..." It's all Jack seemed to be able to manage - Daniel's name. Everytime he had tried to say something intelligent, to move the conversation, to get out of the emotion, the only word that escaped his lips, was the soft name ... "Danny."

Jack stood up and walked to the edge of the roof deck, looking up to the heavens at he twinkling stars. It was getting late, colder, but Jack needed to be in the open. His guilt at leaving Daniel on the Goa'uld ship was overwhelming him.

At the same time, Jack's love for Daniel was swelling, and he couldn't say anything. He wanted to hold him, but knew he couldn't. Daniel loved Sha're. Jack didn't have a right to be thinking like this. *Get over it, O'Neill.*

Daniel rose and went to Jack's side, and mirrored his friend's body, looking up at the stars and admiring them in awe. Minutes passed, but neither moved. The chilly breeze was cutting into Daniel's smooth skin. He considered going downstairs to get a jacket, but he didn't really want to leave Jack.

Daniel felt safe with Jack. He felt *more* with Jack. Daniel's mind raced as he silently tried to work through his emotions.

*When did it get so complicated, Jack? No, when did it not get complicated? When did it become so clear, so transparent? Was it Abydos? Was it that moment on Tantalus when your eyes told me that if I died, you would, too? Maybe it was watching you with the crystal unity version of Charlie.*

Daniel shivered as he continued to analyze his feelings for his best friend, the man who stood next to him, lost in his own thoughts.

*Maybe ... it was when you touched me on that freakin' mother ship. You don't know that touch did to me, Jack. Geez, Jack, I wish you'd touch me again. I wish you'd let me ... touch you. I ... I want that, Jack. How do I tell you? What if you don't ... maybe ... you said you loved me, but I turned my back on that. Oh, Jack, please tell me I didn't turn you away. Do you still care? Was that touch goodbye, or did it jolt your body like it mine?*

Twenty minutes later, they were still standing under the stars, side by side in silence, both totally absorbed in their own thoughts as they scanned the heavens, when a falling star whooshed through the sky.

"Wow, look at that, Jack. What an amazing sight."

Daniel had turned to look at his best friend who had his eyes closed in deep concentration.

"Jack, are you okay?"

Jack opened his eyes and gazed at Daniel, a smile on his face.

"It was a falling star, Danny. Don't you know what that means?"

"Oh, sure, you close your eyes and make a wish. Is ... is that what you were doing?"

'Yeah, I guess so, but ... I think I was being selfish."

"Selfish? How?"

"Because I already got the biggest wish in the world."

"What's that?"

"You."

Jack startled at his honesty.

"I mean, I thought you were dead, Danny. Leaving you on that friggin' ship killed me inside. And now, here you are, alive ... standing here ... wowing at a falling star."

Daniel looked back up at the stars, thinking about Jack's words. Softly, almost hesitantly, he asked, "What did you wish for, Jack?"

"Danny, I ..."

"Please, Jack. Tell me what you wished for."

It was a moment of truth. *Please, Jack, be honest. Don't run from me.*

"You."

"Oh ... but I'm ... I'm here, Jack."

"I know, and I'm glad you are."

Jack's heart was beating rapidly, his pulse racing. The conversation was heading a direction he hadn't anticipated. *Geez, Danny, what are you doing? Why are you asking me this?*

"Sam wanted me to come over tonight, hang out. She ... she was feeling guilty, I think."

"I didn't tell Carter about ... y'know ... just said you weren't coming with us. She probably thinks she should have asked when we were still on the ship."

Daniel nodded.

"Teal'c asked if I'd stay and teach him how to play Chess."

"Chess?" Jack laughed.

"We play it all the time. He likes to learn how to do everything."

"Just don't teach him how to play Gin. It's still the only game I can beat you at."

Daniel smiled. He would never tell Jack the truth about that. It's not that he let Jack win; he just usually let himself be distracted while they played, and if Jack won, that was just ... coincidence, and nothing more.

"General Hammond asked if I'd like to come to dinner and meet his granddaughters."

"Danny?"

Jack was looking at his friend quizzically. He wasn't quite sure why Daniel was cataloguing his various invitations for the evening.

"The point is, Jack. I'm ... here because I ... well, I ... I want to be here. It's comfortable, kinda like being ..."

"Home?" Jack asked hopefully.

Daniel nodded as the two stood in silence for a couple of minutes. Jack was too paralyzed to move. He knew what he wanted, but wasn't sure if Daniel was saying what he was hoping he was saying, and Jack had promised his best friend not to put any pressures on him.

Daniel had seemed confused and unclear about his own feelings after Antarctica. He loved his wife, Sha're. Jack was sure of this, and Sha're was still out there somewhere. No, Daniel couldn't be saying what Jack was hoping he was.

Daniel smiled shyly, his head lowered for a moment until Jack asked, "Are you okay, Daniel?"

Daniel looked out into the night sky, and said softly, "Actually ... I'm ... cold."

"Cold?"

Another nod. Jack's heart thundered, his pulse throbbing. His knees felt like Jell-O, sure to collapse at any moment.

"Danny?"

Daniel turned his head towards Jack who slowly took his left hand and placed its palm on Daniel's cheek. The young man closed his eyes, and sighed at the contact.

Jack's heart skipped a beat in delight. Daniel was reacting to his touch, and Jack himself was melting like butter at the sound of Daniel's low moan of pleasure.

"Danny." It was a statement, a question, a desire, a wish, and a thousand other things.

Daniel opened his misty eyes and blinked a few times.

"I'm ... cold, Jack."

His voice trembled, but Jack wasn't sure if it was from the evening chill or a panicked mind.

"I ... may have a way to fix that."

Jack's hand was still on his soon-to-be lover's cheek, caressing it now, tenderly, wantonly.

"I was hoping you might ... think of ... something."

Jack smiled. He glided his hand to Daniel's arm, then to his waist, turning the young man to face him, as he moved within Daniel's personal space. They were close, their bodies brushing slightly. Their eyes locked onto each other's, full of both expectation and fear.

Jack brought his other hand to Daniel's waist, and then tentatively wrapped them around him, giving Daniel a chance to back away if he wanted. But the linguist held his ground, moving his own hands to the small of Jack's back.

More confident now, Jack pulled Daniel into him, leaning his chin against Daniel's shoulder. Daniel was a little tense, but the longer the embrace lasted, the more relaxed he became. Daniel laid his head on Jack's shoulder, enjoying the scent of this man he treasured.

"Still cold?"

"No, getting ... warmer by the minute."

"Me, too."

They held on to each other, best friends on the verge of being lovers, preparing themselves for something destined to change both of their lives forever.

Jack pulled back from the embrace slightly so that he and Daniel could look in each other's eyes. So much of their communication was non-verbal; so much of their essence almost telepathic, their eyes saying what words couldn't. Brown eyes that had been so patient looked into blue eyes that now shined in anticipation.

"Danny, are you sure? I mean Sha're. I told you. We'll find her, and ..."

Jack was silenced by two fingers of Daniel's right hand that raised quickly to the gray haired man's lips.

"Shhh. I want this, Jack. I want you. Maybe it's wrong. Maybe she won't understand. I don't know ... maybe I don't understand, but I can't deny it any longer, Jack, and I ... I don't want to. I thought you were dead, Jack. Don't you get that?"

"What?"

"We didn't know, Jack. I lived for you ... the ... the sarcophagus ... I was lying there, remembering how you touched me, and I knew then that I ... how I ..."

Daniel took a deep breath. This was hard. He was shaking, full of doubts, but wanting, needing Jack.

"I put myself in that thing because I wanted to see you again, to ... touch you the way you touched me. And then I made it back through the gate, but Jack, you were still out there. I had saved myself but lost you. It ... it scared me. I thought ...", Daniel lowered his head, his eyes watery, his voice cracking from the emotions he shared.

"Touch me, Danny."

Daniel looked at Jack and saw the permission, the desire, the urging in his eyes. He took his right hand and placed his palm on Jack's left cheek. Jack smiled, and raised his right hand and mirrored Daniel's action, his palm now caressing Daniel's right cheek.

"Feels right."

"That it does, Space Monkey."

"Jack, that has got to be the most ridiculous name I've ever heard."

"You want to argue or ..."

"Or ... what?"

"Or ... or ... this?"

Jack inched his face towards Daniel, finally brushing their lips together. It was quick, tentative, a brief interlude.

He pulled back for a few seconds to look into Daniel's eyes, and still seeing permission and desire, Jack's lips again met Daniel's, but this time he nibbled slightly at the man's soft upper lip, then with his tongue licked the tender lips, urging them to part, which they did.

Jack's tongue made contact with Daniel's. It was awkward at first, as they both got used to the strange sensation of kissing their best friend.
But as the awkwardness lessened, the passion grew until finally they needed to come up for air. When they did, Jack leaned his forehead on Daniel's. It was a pose that would become second nature to them, one taken at quiet, intimate moments, their foreheads joined as their hearts would be.

"Jack, have you ever ... I mean, with another ... you know?"

"No, never. You?"

"No."

"Scared?"

"Yes. No. Yes. I don't know."

Jack placed a kiss on Daniel's nose and chuckled, "Yeah, me, too."

"So what now? I mean, do you know ... how we ... you know?"

"Daniel, it's called sex, not 'you know'."

Daniel blushed, and Jack couldn't help himself. His genius was shyer than anyone could ever imagine, and it made Jack's heart sing to think Daniel wanted him.

Jack pulled Daniel back into him, and kissed him soundly, devouring the man's mouth. Daniel flung his arms around Jack's neck, pulling him even closer if that were possible.

"You didn't answer my question, Jack. Maybe we need to do ... research"

"Oh yeah, definitely ... lots and lots of research, Daniel, starting right here ..."

Jack kissed the pulse point on Daniel's neck causing the young man to let out a soft moan that made Jack smile knowing that sound was his, and only for him.

"Research ... I like ... that."

"You haven't seen anything yet, Danny."

"Seriously, Jack, I ... I'm not sure what or how ..."

"It's okay, Love." Jack didn't realize what he had said until he saw Daniel's eyes widen.

"Danny, you know ... I love you. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"I know."

"And you don't need to worry about ... research. We'll figure it out as we go along, research each other.

"Explore," Daniel said with a wicked grin.

"Oh yeah, peaceful explorers doing very long, detailed peaceful explorations."

Daniel made the first move this time and sought out Jack's lips. He liked kissing Jack. He felt tingly and more alive than he could ever remember feeling.

"I don't want to rush you, Danny."

"I think we should start our research."

"Bed?"

"Yes."

Jack laughed.

"What's so funny?"

"I want to be your artifact. I love to watch you, Daniel, the way you touch those rocks. Your hands ... I've fantasized about you touching me the same way you touch those artifacts."

"Fant...fantasize ... about me?"

Jack nodded.

"I love you, Daniel. I've wanted you for so long, but I never thought I'd get my wish except in my fantasies."

It was Daniel who smiled now.

"About being my artifact, I ... I think that could be arranged."

Jack led Daniel towards the ladder when he felt the young man stop. Concerned, Jack turned.

"We don't have to, Danny."

"I ... I love you, Jack. I know what I ... want, but are you ... sure? I mean, Air Force and ..."

Jack cut Daniel off with a kiss, silently thinking as he did so how easy it would be to get used to this new sensation.

"You come first, Danny -- always. I've been empty inside. You know how I was on Abydos the first time. That ... changed ... because of you. Nothing is more important than you, including the Air Force."

"If they find out ..."

"If they find out, we'll deal with it. Key word there, Daniel, is 'we' .. assuming that's what you want."

Daniel's voice was strained from emotion. He wasn't used to people caring so much about him, certainly no one willing to risk their career just for him. He feared Jack might regret his decision, or maybe Daniel wouldn't be good in bed. He was, he thought, a virgin in a sense.

Uncertainty crept into Daniel's eyes as he finally spoke, "They could court martial you."

"No, they won't. I'd just retire again. Danny? I meant what I said before. If you aren't ready, or if you changed your mind, it's ... okay. I understand. You ... could do better you know, a lot better."

"JACK ... no! That's not ...," Daniel sounded exasperated as he took a calming breath. "Jack, I love you. I want you. I'm just afraid you'll regret it in the morning."

Jack grinned at the three magical words, his soul welcoming the warmth of being loved by someone he had dreamed about for so long. *You love me, Danny.*

"Daniel, I've been in love with you since Oannes. You ... you know that. I've had lots of time to digest it, debate it, go over all the pros and cons, and at the end of the day, the one thing I keep coming to is ... you and how beautiful you are, inside and out, and how you make me feel, like I'm worth something again.

"I know without a doubt, Daniel, that what I feel for you won't change, and if we do this, it's ... as forever as you want it to be."

"For...forever? Us?"

"I'd like to think so. You and me, together, for always. It's what I want."

"Me, too. It'll just take some getting used to. I'm ... I haven't had ..."

Jack leaned in and tenderly kissed Daniel again. They were gaining confidence, each kiss more assured than the last.

"I know, but you do now. You have me, Danny, for as long as you want me."

"Let's go to bed, Jack."

"Sounds like a plan."

As Jack led Daniel to what he hoped would be their bedroom for the rest of time, he thanked the heavens and the stars for the blessing of Daniel Jackson. He would keep his precious falling star safe forever; he'd never hurt him and he vowed to kill anyone who tried to hurt Daniel.

With a last look at the night sky as he locked the patio door, Jack whispered "thank you" to a falling star. From now on, he'd always wish upon a star, and the wish would always be Daniel, safe, alive, and happy in his arms.

~~Finis - Finished - Done - The End - But is it ever Really?~~