Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,507
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,214

Twenty Days

Summary:

sequel to "Something to Look Forwad To" and "Duty Bound"

Work Text:

Ten days. Ten days and Roger was back at the prison camp. At least it was the same one he'd been in before. Ramsey and Mac would be there along with many members of the X Organization, so it wouldn't take long to start planning yet another escape.

When Roger walked through the gate late in the afternoon, Ramsey was there to greet him. "I wish that I could say that it's good to see you, Roger."

Roger smiled wryly. "I wish that I could say that it's good to be back, Sir."

Ramsey gestured to Roger's face. "That's quite a black eye you have there. Resisting capture, were you?" he asked in dry sarcasm.

Roger smirked. "Of course, Sir," he answered easily. He thought of Mac and Mac's injuries after recapture and his voice hardened. "Although, it could have been worse."

Ramsey frowned. 'Yes."

The two started walking along the string marking the no man's land just before the barb wire fence. Roger clasped his hands behind his back. "Was anyone else brought back?"

Ramsey sighed wearily. "The Germans brought back fifteen, including Danny and Willie, two days ago. There were ten more a week ago."

"That leaves another nine." Roger paused and shook his head in frustration. "We need to get more out at a time."

"I agree," Ramsey said stoically. "The main problem is supplying more men. In order to be effective, each man needs documents, clothes, and so forth or he won't last a day."

Roger sighed and consciously refrained from snapping at Ramsey. Ramsey was only pointing out an obvious fact that everyone had to keep in mind. Plus, Ramsey was his commanding officer. "I know," he said, still frustrated. "But we're not doing enough damage, not causing enough trouble for the Nazis."

"We do all that is in our power," Ramsey said reasonably. "What more is there?"

Roger took a deep breath. He needed to calm down but his nerves were frazzled from ten days on the run. "How's Mac?" he asked quietly.

Ramsey looked at Roger but kept walking. "I'm afraid MacDonald's taken a turn for the worse."

Roger froze and his whole body tensed. "What?" he ground out through clenched teeth.

Ramsey didn't stop, forcing Roger to keep up. "MacDonald developed an infection and it settled on his lungs," Ramsey continued evenly. "He's had a high fever."

Roger's gut twisted. Mac was one of the only things that made his whole ordeal easier. "Damn," he cursed with quiet intensity.

Ramsey switched his cane to his left hand and took Roger's elbow with his right. "Dr. Klein is hopeful that he will improve." His tone was optimistic. "I doubt MacDonald survived everything so far only to give in now." He squeezed Roger's arm. "Keep that in mind, Roger."

"I know. I just..." Roger's voice trailed off and he stared at the ground. Heat crept up the back of his neck. "I can't afford to worry so about one man, even if it is Mac." The last part came out as barely a whisper.

However, Ramsey had excellent hearing. "I should not think that will be a problem." He smiled. "Come along, Roger. You know my faith in you, but I kept your bunk free just in case."

 

The Germans were more vigilant than usual, checking all of the huts twice as many times as normal every day. Patrols doubled at night and several members of the X Organization were caught trying to get to the meetings for the new operation and earned time in the cooler. One of their best tunnelers, Danny, was among them.

The two sat outside a week after Roger's return, eating their rations. "We'll have to hold off for a bit," Ramsey said, resigned to necessity.

Roger grimaced. "They've been on top of us since the last attempt." He grinned suddenly. "It must have been terribly embarrassing for them."

One end of Ramsey's mouth quirked up. "Oh, I'm sure it was." He noticed that Roger kept looking towards the infirmary. He grabbed his cane and pushed himself to his feet. "Let's go."

Roger stared up at Ramsey for a long moment before standing. He couldn't quite interpret the look on Ramsey's face. "Where, Sir?"

"I'm sure Dr. Klein would not mind if we were to check on MacDonald," Ramsey said blandly. "I am the SBO. It is my privilege."

Roger wouldn't try to deny that he wanted to see Mac. Ramsey knew him too well to believe any protests. Still, he felt compelled to ask, "Do you really think that's wise?"

Ramsey's tone left no room for argument. "Yes, Roger."

Dr. Klein didn't look the least bit surprised to see them. He stood up behind his desk and saluted Ramsey. "Group Captain."

Ramsey returned the courtesy. "Doctor," he said politely.

Klein shifted his attention to Roger. "Ah, Squadron Leader Bartlett, I heard you were back with us," he said smoothly.

"It wasn't by choice," Roger answered, just as smooth.

Klein looked pointedly at Roger's black eye. "I can see that." He turned back to Ramsey. "I assume that you are here about Lieutenant MacDonald."

"Yes. Has there been any improvement?" Ramsey asked with just the right amount of concern for one of his men.

Klein gave a small smile. "The Lieutenant is making progress. His fever is down and some of the congestion in his lungs has cleared."

"May we see him?"

"Of course," Klein said graciously. He came around his desk and led the way to the ward.

Roger was silent upon seeing Mac, just watching and tuning out Ramsey's and Klein's voices. Mac was pale, a thin layer of sweat covering his skin. He slept deeply, hardly moving, due to the combination of the trauma of his injuries, the infection, and medication.

Roger wanted to kneel at Mac's side but didn't dare. He started paying attention again when Klein said, "We almost lost him when the fever was at its height, but he's strong willed. The infection should continue to dissipate. Then it will take time for him to regain his strength, but I believe he will make a full recovery."

Ramsey nodded. "Please, keep me informed, Doctor."

"I will."

Ramsey and Roger went back outside. "MacDonald will be fine," Ramey said with quiet certainty. He regarded Roger intently. "Believe that, Roger."

"I do," Roger stated. "I have to."

 

At a time when he should have been sleeping, Roger couldn't stop thinking about Mac. Whenever he closed his eyes, he could see Mac lying there. He tossed and turned but sleep refused to come.

Despite the risk, Roger snuck out to see Mac. He slipped past the guards and into the infirmary. He silently made his way to the ward and knelt at Mac's side.

Roger took Mac's hand and felt Mac's steady pulse. "Oh, Mac," he sighed.

Mac's eyes didn't open but he mumbled, "Roger."

Roger gently touched Mac's cheek with his free hand. "It's me, Mac," he whispered.

Mac's tired eyes looked at Roger briefly before sliding shut again. He smiled lazily. "You're back."

"I'm afraid so."

Mac was almost asleep again. "You shouldn't be here."

Roger kissed the side of Mac's head. "Don't worry about it," he said in a quiet, soothing voice. "Rest now."

Mac nodded almost imperceptibly. His voice was no more than a weak whisper. "Missed you."

Roger responded by softly brushing his lips against Mac's. He sat back on his knees and watched Mac sleep for a few minutes. He gave Mac's fingers one last squeeze and snuck back out.

Roger was almost back to the hut when a patrol caught him. He put his hands up as one guard pointed a rifle at him while another shined a lantern in his face. "What are you doing?" the latter barked.

"Just out for a stroll. It is such a lovely evening," Roger offered insolently.

The one with the rifle sneered at him. "You were trying to escape." He walked up to Roger and jabbed him in the gut with the barrel. "Cooler."

Roger went down on one knee, gasping to regain his breath. He coughed and straightened up. He nodded crisply, turned on his heel, and started marching towards the cooler. "Cooler."

 

Ramsey found out about Roger's twenty days in the cooler in the morning. //MacDonald should be back on his feet by then and Roger will be able to more easily concentrate on the task at hand.//

"What do you think he was doing out there?" Willie asked in confusion. "Roger wouldn't make a break for it on his own on such a spur of the moment."

Ramsey shrugged. "I'm afraid that I don't know. We will commence operations when he gets out. By then, the rest of our people will be out of the cooler as well."

"Yes, Sir."

"I wouldn't worry, Willie. Twenty days in solitary will only give Roger more time to think of ways to get at the Nazis."

Willie grinned. "I never thought of it that way."

 

The End...for now