Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,236
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,231

Riding with Sgt. Dean

Summary:

Based on the song -Riding with Private Malone by David Ball, with my own twist

Work Text:

Travis Dean, newly released Sergeant and veteran of the last Goa'uld Earth Wars, shook his head in amazement. "Da, look. Someone's selling an '05 Chevy for a thousand dollars."

Rafe looked over his son's shoulder and shook his head. "That could be anything Trav. Probably an old beater truck."

It was 2055, almost 50 years since the Stargate Program had been revealed to the world, and the changes were enormous.

Travis glanced out of the window at the modern skyline of Colorado Springs. Interspersed with the mountains and aspen and pine trees were the alien inspired buildings that had popped up since Earth and various other planets had cemented their alliances.

"A thousand dollars is a small price to pay. I can always fix it up. Can I take your skimmer and check it out?"

Rafe shrugged. "If it's in good shape, I'll help you with it, lad."

"I'll hold you to it." Travis teased.

 

The woman glanced out of the window, smiling as the handsome young man slipped off of the skimmer. She looked at the photo on the mantle lovingly. "Well, I hope you approve."

Travis looked around the old lovingly maintained home and gardens with awe. The barn out back made him smile, so many old barns had disintegrated over the years. The Asgard had actually taken one back to their planet to study it, as a weird curiosity. An older woman, a very pretty older woman walked out onto the porch.

"Hello." he said with a smile, "I'm Travis. Travis Dean."

"I'm Cassandra Pratt. So, you're here about the car?" Her brown eyes twinkled.

"I can't wait." Travis agreed.

Cassandra led him to the old barn, pushing open the large door and turning on the old fashioned light bulb. She led him further in and pulled off the cover of the car. There in the dull gleam of the overhead lights was a cherry red '05 Corvette.

"Oh wow, wow!" Travis walked around it, not even wanting to touch it. "It's, it's a 'Vette!" He looked at Cassandra. "It's a collector's item well worth more than a thousand dollars," he told her honestly.

Cassandra laughed. "I know. I wanted to sell it to someone who would appreciate it."

"God, are you sure?" Travis was flabbergasted.

"I'm positive."

 

Rafe heard the roar of an old fashioned engine and glanced outside, his jaw dropping in amazement. He jumped up and went outside, his eyes wide. "Travis! That's...that's a Corvette!"

Travis grinned at his father. "Oh yeah! Can you believe it?"

Rafe could only shake his head. "Trav, you have the devil's luck." He thumped his son on the back cheerfully.

Travis opened the passenger door and bent down to retrieve the contents of the glove compartment. He found carefully kept maintenance records spanning almost 25 years, which he handed off to his father, before pulling out an old envelope.

"Trav, this car belonged to someone important. It needs to be in a museum or something." His father said, his voice hushed with awe.

Travis was reading the letterâ€"

"Hey there.

This car belonged to General Jack O'Neill and Dr. Daniel Jackson. And if you're reading this, then we're gone.

Our dreams came true, and we hope that this car makes one of your come true too. This car doesn't belong in a collection, it should be driven and loved.

Just remember, every time you ride in her, you'll be riding with us. Enjoy!

Jack and Daniel"

 

Rafe draped an arm around his son's shoulders. "Well, lad, you have it in black and white. Enjoy it."

"Wow." Travis said softly.

 

Over the years there were times that Travis could swear someone was in the passenger seat.

One time it would be a white haired old guy with a wicked smile, or another time a guy with chestnut brown hair and glasses and blue eyes, but every time Travis would whip his head around and see nothing.

Each time he'd smile and chuckle quietly. "Hey, guys," he'd say.

 

*^*

One night it was raining hard, and as Travis took the curve coming down the mountain he knew. He was going too damn fast. The back wheels slipped out from under him and the next impression he had was cloudy skies, lightening and rain before he blacked out.

 

Daniel shook the water out of his eyes and wrenched open the door. "Jack, he's bleeding!"

Jack nodded as he bent down to touch Travis's throat to check his pulse. "He's alive, get out of the way, I'm going to pull him out."

Another car pulled up. "Hey, is he alive?"

Daniel nodded. "Yeah, call the paramedics!"

"You got it." The car sped off, but Daniel wasn't offended. Even in this modern future there was no way to get a signal in the mountains, the car would have to get to the bottom to call.

Jack suddenly sucked in a breath. "Daniel, I smell gas! Get out of here!"

"No way. Get him out of there!"

"Fucking stubborn archeologists," Jack muttered. He pulled Travis over his shoulders and he and Daniel got the hell away.

 

Bongo drums...make them stop. Travis's eyes fluttered open and he could see blue, red and white flashing lights making him wince. "Ow, make it stop!"

"Mr. Dean, can you hear me?" a paramedic said, flashing a light in his eyes.

"Yeah. But you can stop doing the flashy thing," he grunted. "What happened?"

"You were in a car wreck."

Travis struggled to sit up. "My car?" in a tone that implied. 'my baby?'

"Sorry Mr. Dean. It's toast." And Travis could see over the paramedics shoulders to where his car continued to burn merrily.

"Damn."

"How did I get out?"

The paramedic shook his head. "The guy who called said a guy in uniform and a guy with glasses pulled you out. You're a very luck man."

Travis gazed at the burning car. "You have no idea." He slipped off the gurney and went to stand in the middle of the road which was still blocked by emergency vehicles.

"Thanks, guys."

 

Jack gazed down with satisfaction. "He's gonna be okay."

Daniel slipped his arm around his lover. "Yep. Let's go, Oma's waiting."

Jack pressed a kiss to Daniel's lips and sighed. "Too bad about the car though."

"Jack, it was 50 years old! It's lucky to have survived this long."

"Yeah, yeah. But she was something special." He goosed Daniel who yelped. "Remember all of the great times we had in it?" he leered.

Daniel blushed. "Ja-ack."