Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,064
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
884

Cake

Summary:

Rating: FRT, pre-slash
Series: Takes place with the same background as my Snatch story `Diamond in the Rough', but things work out differently. So an AU of that.
Disclaimer: Snatch and all recognizable characters belong to Guy Ritchie.
Author's note: Written in 50 minutes for the Contrelamontre "Birthday" challenge.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Cake
by L0C- Taryn Wander'r

The last time anyone remembered Tommy's birthday was when he turned twelve. It was his mother who remembered it, which would make sense as she was the one doing all the work that day. It was typically the only day of the year she paid any real attention to him. Or was nice to him when she did. To be fair, it was easy to forget Tommy's birthday, being unfortunately timed as it was after Christmas, and two days before New Year's.

He came home after a cold day of avoiding the street's other children, meeting greasy sad men he always felt a tinge of pity for, gathering the money his father would demand when he got back. Tommy got home, his father shouted at him, Tommy gave him the money and his father took off. His mother woke up from her stupor on the lounge sofa long enough to smile gently at him, give him a kiss and tell him there was a birthday cake for him in the refridgerator.

It was a small cake, plain chocolate with plain brown icing, one of the off-the-shelf deals from Tesco, or Marks and Spencer. Except this was not a posh Marks and Sparks off-the-shelf cake, that goes without saying. It was out of its box, and his mother had even taken the time to put candles on top of it. Not twelve- there wasn't enough room for twelve whole candles- but there were four multi-coloured candles lovingly-enough impaled in the Tesco cake, their wicks already black from past use.

It was a lovely cake.

His father had already been there, though, and a fist-sized gorge was missing from the front of it. Tommy smiled warily, took the cake out and cut off the uneven edges left by his father's hand. He lit the candles and brought the cake back to the lounge to share with his mother. It was the last good memory he had of home.

It wasn't long after that before Tommy left home. Tommy left with nothing but an old rucksack, ten pounds, a half-empty box of condoms and a black eye. He had grand plans about where he would go, fantasies of seeing the entire world, meeting nice rich guys who would hole him up in posh flats in every major city, until he was ready to move on. He had plans to be happy.

He was in London three days later and never had the money to leave, despite the amount of not-so-nice guys in London more than willing to pay him for what he had to offer. A few years later he met Turkish and the rest, they say, is history.

They had an uneasy, uneven relationship that grew into a strong friendship, the kind of friendship expressed by snarled insults and hard sneers. Tommy felt safe here, working for Turkish and, at first, sleeping in his box room. It was at Turkish's insistence that he finally got the courage to go and get the test done, and with the exception of a few small inconveniences, he was clean. For the first time in his life he knew he was clean and knew he had a chance.

It was still hard, though. Tommy didn't make friends easily, living in the kind of place where everyone just wanted to take advantage of him, and clung to Turkish like a life long. Turkish, in turn, didn't really like people all that much, and half the time Tommy was convinced Turkish didn't like him either. It was only a matter of time before Turkish turned him out.

He told himself it was okay, and kept trying to save up money to leave again. Leave properly this time, for some other country, some other world, where he would make a proper living for himself, meet a nice guy and fall in love. His dreams were higher now, of love and respect. But his attempts to start saving where always foiled by debt or drink or Brick Top and his shenanigans, and his higher dreams of love and respect seemed even further away.

Every year Turkish absent-mindedly asked him when his birthday was (usually on Turkish's birthday, after Tommy bought him a drink), and every year Turkish would forget. It was too soon after Christmas, when Turkish usually had to deal with his mother and see the rest of his family which, while not too terrible, was always stressful, especially given the fact that he was still trying to keep his less-than-legal profession a secret from them. It was too close to New Year's, a time which was at once full of promise and dread, and usually they got pulled into organizing some huge fight as part of some rich-acquaintance-of-Brick-Top's massive coke-drenched New Year's party. And any work that had anything remotely to do with Brick Top made Turkish understandly nervous. And when Turkish was nervous, he usually started shouting at Tommy. Which didn't make for a very happy birthday.

Eventually Tommy stopped reminding Turkish, shrugging his absent-minded enquiries off with a casual "it doesn't matter". He almost convinced himself it didn't.

The year he turned twenty it got pretty bad. They had made a promise to Brick Top that was unrealistic and Tommy didn't understand why things went so south, but he was sure it was probably his fault. It was with snow on his shoes and a shamed face that he entered the business' office, which Brick Top's goons had recently cleared out. Turkish was going radge. He threw chairs, shouted and swore a lot, and almost made Tommy cry.

"I'm sorry!" Tommy tried to shout back, but he was never too good at shouting. "I know I screwed up, but I'm trying my best!" He still wasn't sure what it was he had done wrong.

"They took *everything*, Tommy! We have *no cash*, how the fuck are we supposed to eat this week?!" They didn't keep much of their money in a bank account, as it usually raised too many questions. They had a few accounts and stashes here and there, but that was all tied up in the business and not for spending on living expenses. All their living allowance was kept in cash. "We have nothing until we can work again, and who the fuck knows when *that* will be. Jesus tap-dancing Christ!"

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author LOC.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.