Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of MiSS
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,285
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,373

MiSS -Post Body- One Down

Summary:

MiSS Summary/TimeLine: After the Body. I've always wondered how Spike knew that Joyce had died.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Feedback: Do it... you know you want to! lusciousspike@yahoo.com
Rating: Something for all ages *g*

Pairing: None... This is a little *friendship* Spawn I came up with. No, I don't consider this MiSS a pairing. But if you wish to see it as pre-pairing well *shrug* it's no skin off my typing fingers.
Series: Part of the Missing Scene Series but is in fact a stand-alone like all of them are.

Warning: Mention of character death.

Thanks to Farah for the quick beta!

 

 

"What do you think you're doing out and about at this hour of the night?"

She didn't even flinch. Her face was hard and emotionless. "None of your business."

Spike frowned, not used to such crude attitude from her. "You didn't have a body jump with your big sis... coz the last time that happened..."

Dawn's cold eyes turned to him and made him stop mid-sentence. His eyes softened.

"I'm sorry."

The young girl pulled her jacket tighter around her. It was warm, but she couldn't help feeling cold. She crossed her arms.

"So you heard."

Spike shook his head, as he walked closer to her his eyes searching the area for any threats. "There isn't much that could shake a person's youthful view of life like death. It was a matter of time."

Dawn swallowed a lump in her throat. "And I guess being a dead guy you've got a courtside view to that."

Spike smiled softly. "Something like that." He raised his hand to touch her arm, wanting to offer her some kind of comfort. But instead he dropped it with a sigh.

Dawn frowned. Spike bit his lip while he shook his head looking elsewhere. "Guess that's one down, one to go."

Dawn clearly heard the mummer in the stillness of the night. She stepped closer and looked up at Spike. "What do you mean?" she asked genuinely curious.

He shrugged his shoulders unconcerned. "Nothing. Well, not really. Just that your mum saw something in me like no one else had."

Dawn looked down. "I see that too."

Spike dared this time to touch her, raising her face with one finger. He wiped at the tears she had so bravely tried to hold back with his thumb. He smiled when she looked back at him through glassy eyes but still showing him her strength, as if daring this vampire to pity her.

"Know that, Niblet," he said calmly.

Her brows puckered childishly, frowning in thought of what he was aiming at. Her tiny mouth opened in an 'O' shape when it finally hit her.

"I'm the 'one to go'?" She blinked at him, first time today she wasn't thinking that her life was over as bewilderment filled her.

Spike raised his head and looked away, somewhat embarrassed to be caught out vulnerable.

Dawn felt even colder then, so she stuck her hands into her pockets.

"Guess it is only a matter of time before Glory..."

She gasped when she was cut off by Spike gripping at her shoulders, his face contracted clearly in pain of the chip but not letting go, only easing his grip after a second.

"Not gonna let anything happen to you, Bit, I'd die before you pass on my watch." It was a statement. And something in that made Dawn feel warmer. Yet, her heart clenched a bit at the thought of Spike dying to save her life, of her seeing him fall to the earth dead because of a person that didn't exist a year ago.

She shook her head, not understanding. "Then what did you mean?"

Spike pulled back and let his arms fall to his side lifelessly. "Someday, pet. You'd see me. See me for the demon I really am. You're already growing up, seeing that the world isn't all pink and roses."

Dawn pursed her lips and advanced him poking him in his chest. "I'll have you know Mr. I Know All... that I know a lot about demons. I mean sure, I didn't 'really' know it, but I doubt the monks uploaded me with bogus info. It's not like Giles and Buffy ever let me read any book older than, well, Giles... by the by I'm surprised there are so many. But I know that you are not like other vampires!"

Spike blinked and started chuckling at Dawn's outburst. There was still some life in this one, and he would make sure it would stay so for as long as he could.

Soon, Dawn joined him in giggling. Her eyes grew wider when she realized what she was doing, but it only grew in intensity. Her hand clumped over her mouth and her hair fell around her face because she was laughing so hard.

She didn't know when she started crying, but only comprehended it when Spike's arms came around her and held her close to his chest.

She burrowed her face in the leather and was never more thankful for the unusual smell. The scent of leather, dust and smoke filled her nose. She expected to smell death, but whatever death smelled like it, Spike didn't carry it. There was some other smell she couldn't place. She thought at first it was cologne or maybe some sort of spicy food that Spike liked to eat, ultimately, she settled that it was uniquely Spike. And somehow that satisfied her. It was different. It didn't smell like her home. Like her mom, who wasn't there anymore and wasn't ever coming back. But, yet, like that smell, which only brought tears to her eyes, this one felt safe.

With a last sniff she pulled her face back and wiped at the dampness. Spike ran his hand one more time over her head, before pulling back enough to look at her face.

"Good girl. Not one snot."

That made Dawn snort and slap his arm. "Ewww, gross!"

Spike smirked, slipping his hands in his duster pockets. Dawn wondered if he felt cold, because she wasn't feeling it anymore. She thought about offering him her jacket but thought that would be too cheesy. Besides, it was purple. No way would Spike want that.

Spike nodded forward. "Come now, Dawn. Let's get you back where beasties won't get to you and where your sister won't be compelled to test her new stake on me."

Dawn bit her lip; looking at route she was taking Spike found her. She shivered then sided herself to Spike as they walked towards her home.

"Tell me a scary story."

"One where I locked that kid in the coal bin?"

"No, that's not scary. Tell me another."

"Well, if you're such an expert of scary-tales ... why not enlighten us with one?"

"Um, okay. Once upon a night I couldn't sleep and I went down to get me some milk. When I was walking back to my room, I thought I heard something coming out of Buffy's. I slowly started walking... not making a sound... her door was open enough for me to peek... and there I saw it ... I couldn't sleep for weeks with waking up screaming!"

"What... c'mon! What did you see?"

"I'm not sure you can take it."

"Bugger, I've seen things that would make your blood freeze and your hair turn all white."

"Guess that explains..." she giggled.

"Cheeky. Now out with it," he growled.

"Fine. You suck at suspense by the way. No wonder Buffy always beat you. Well, I saw..."

"Yeah...?"

"Buffy and Angel French-ing through the window!"

"Aw... bugger!"

"Told you it was bad."

"Damn, Bit. Now I'll have bags under my eyes from lying awake at night shivering at that appalling image."

"You sleep during the day!"

"Bloody Summers..."

 

The End...

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Mera.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: