Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
4,788
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,018

Convince me

Summary:

Challenge by Ezra: Write a story with a W/S pairing- Willow decides that Spike deserved a chance with Buffy and she sets them up and in helping him Spike falls for her instead

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Notes: Set in the 5th season- except.. no Dawn and no Riley

Thanks: To QueenC- you're awesome, hun! Thanks for the beta!!!

 

Convince Me
by WildCherry45
~^~**~^~

 

"I hate him!" Buffy declared as she stormed through the door, "He is *the* most annoying and persistent bastard I have *ever* met!"

"Who are we talking about?" Willow asked calmly, taking a seat next to Buffy as the blonde Slayer plopped herself down onto the couch in the Summers home. Willow had moved in with the Slayer after Mrs. Summers passed away. Buffy was in major need of support and Willow was more then happy to provide it. She had missed her best friend over the past few months.

"Spike!" Buffy shook her head in aggravation, "Who else?"

"What'd he do now?"

"He *won't* stop *annoying* me about going out with him and giving him a chance!"

"Isn't that supposed to be a compliment and an overall *good* thing?" Willow asked, confused by the blonde's behavior.

"Not when he goes borderline stalker on you!" Buffy nearly screeched before calming herself down.

"Yeah ok- maybe there is a downside to that" Willow clasped her hands together, "but hey- aren't you just a little bit flattered that he's so," she paused a moment and tried to think of the right word, "obsessed with you?"

"*I* *don't* *like* *him* though!"

"You won't even give him a chance?"

"No!" Buffy yelled out. She shook her head trying to rid herself of the headache that she now sported, "Maybe I should dust him."

"Buffy! You're gonna dust him because he likes you?" Willow shook her head in disapproval, "Think of something else."

Buffy's head shot up as an idea came to mind, "You can help me convince him that I don't like him or *anything* to get him to stop annoying me to death!"

"Oh no you don't," Willow got up off the couch and held her hands out in front of her, "This is *your* problem- no way are you pushing this one to me."

"Come on Will!" Buffy whined, "Please? I'll owe you for life!"

Willow raised an eyebrow, "You already *do* owe me for life. In fact you owe me so many times I think even your kids owe me, now."

"Well, I'm not going to have kids so I guess my goldfish will just have to owe you," Buffy said matter-of-factly.

"Is that supposed to convince me into doing this or something?"

"Please?" Buffy begged again.

And she did just that. "Fine," Willow sighed out, "But whatever plan I come up with you have to go along with it- Deal?"

Buffy nearly bounced with delight, "Deal!"

~^~**~^~

"What?" The blonde's jaw dropped as she heard Willow's plan.

"You heard me!"

"I'm *not* gonna go out on a date with him!"

"Buffy, if you pretend to give him a chance and then let him down *gently* then maybe he'll actually stop bothering you. I mean he's always bugging you about how you're not giving him a chance- if you do- he can't use that against you anymore." Willow reasoned, trying to make Buffy understand. She honestly thought that the two blondes made a good match, After all, Spike deserved everything he wanted, if that just happened to be Buffy, so be it. She sighed when she realized Buffy was still going on and on about how she wasn't going to follow through.

"Hey!" Willow cut her off, "Look- you said that you would go along with whatever I came up with- now unless you want him to be bothering you for the rest of your life, he does have an eternity after all- you will go through with this," She shot Buffy a stern look, "understood?"

Buffy crossed her arms, pouted, and huffed out, "Fine.. whatever."

~^~**~^~

Willow stood outside Spike's crypt, still wondering what possessed her to actually agree to this whole charade. She sighed as she realized she had been just standing there lost in her thoughts
for over 10 minutes. Hesitantly, she brought her hand up to the door and knocked. She waited for a few seconds and, after getting no response, she knocked again, more insistently this time.

"What?" Spike growled as he flung the door open. "Oh- it's you," he finished as he noticed who it was.

"Why- hello to you too!" She returned sarcastically. She stood there waiting for him to make a move.

"Well- what do you want?" He asked impatiently.

"You know what- never mind," Willow turned around and began to walk out of the cemetery, she didn't need this- his attitude. Her thoughts were interrupted as she realized that her name was being called out and that the vampire of her thoughts currently had a strong grip on her forearm. "Let me go," she demanded, trying to get out of his grasp.

"I promise to play nicely if you tell me what you want, Witch," he said apologetically.

She looked up to meet his baby blue eyes and sighed, "Well- I actually came here to do you a favor. Don't ask me why because I honestly don't know either. Buffy wants to give you a chance- she's asking you out on a date, Friday night at 8:00."

Spike's shocked look was gone as soon as it came. He shook himself, and asked suspiciously, "Why didn't she tell me herself?"

"Buffy doesn't take rejection very well so,if you're gonna say no, tell me now so I can break it to her easily," she lied smoothly, but that was only because she had practiced this speech earlier for quite a while.

"Oh, a date?" Spike asked again, still a bit shocked.

"Yes Spike, a date," Willow explained as if she were speaking to a two year old.

"She wants to go out- on a date with me?" he asked again.

Willow threw her hands up in the air, "You know what, never mind!" She began to walk away, frustrated.

"Red- Red- wait!" he called out, "Look- I'm just a bit surprised, that's all. I mean, after weeks of shooting me down, I'm a bit shocked that she would just agree and ask *me* out instead," his lips turned up into a sheepish grin, "Forgive me?"

She melted when she saw his boyish grin and even returned his with one of her own, "Alright."

After a few moments of silence Spike spoke up, "Can I ask you a favor, Red?"

"What is it?" Willow asked cautiously.

"Can you help me prepare?"

"Umm.. I don't know Spike," she began unsurely.

"Come on Red- I don't want to screw this chance up. She finally agreed to this and I want to make this date worth her while," he pleaded with an almost wistful look on his face. He
motioned for her to enter his crypt.

Taking another look at his puppy eyes, she caved yet again and walked in. "Oh, alright but you have to actually listen to me when I recommend
something- ok?"

"Of course, pet."

"So- I'm going to be leaving now." Before she could take a step, Spike quickly spoke up to stop her.

"Do you think we could start now, luv?"

"Now? Why now?"

"This is the first time she's giving me a chance and I don't want to mess it up. I want it to be perfect."

She smiled sweetly at him, "Yeah, of course we can start now"

His face lit up when he heard her agreement, "Great then- so what do we do first?"

"Well, why don't we start off with what you guys are actually going to do?"

"I don't know pet, she's your best friend so you know her better then I do."

"Ummm" Willow moved to sit on his couch, "She loves Italian food and if you guys are going to see a movie don't pick an action flick cuz she's only going to criticize the moves during the
whole time. Believe me, it's not fun."

Spike gave her a small smile, "Alright, so Italian food and no action movies."

"She really likes Brad Pitt, but then again who doesn't?" Willow turned her head up a little and placed a finger on her chin, "Her favorite flowers are carnations." She looked down in concentration, "Let's see.. what else?"

Meanwhile, Spike looked at her in complete fascination. She seemed to be putting all her effort into helping him without asking anything back, except that he cooperate with her. When Spike looked up Willow was staring at him with a curious look.

"Did you get any of what I said or were you too involved in thinking about whatever you were thinking about?"

"Sorry, luv," he grinned sheepishly.

"It's alright- let me guess- thoughts were on Buffy?"

"Yeah"

"You really do like her don't you?"

He paused for a moment, because for the first time, he was a bit unsure.

Willow took this silence as embarrassment though. "Spike, it's ok- I know you like her. You don't have to be shy around me, wow.. did I just say you were shy? Anyway- I won't judge you- ok?"

He shook away his sarcastic thoughts and smiled back, "Thanks Red- but what else can you give me?"

she mentally slapped herself as she realized the direction of her thoughts. She looked up to see Spike staring at her with a curious look, "Yeah-my bad- umm.. what was the question? Oh right, about more details- umm.. why don't I tell you as we go along cuz I really can't think of anything specific as of now."

~^~**~^~

Willow turned again, trying to get into a more comfortable position on her bed. She pulled the covers up more and sighed. It wasn't helping, the problem wasn't a physical thing.. well.. ok it was, partially at least. She pushed her face farther into the pillow.

She groaned in frustration, like she said- it wasn't just physical- it was also emotional too. He had been so sweet today, asking about all the this and thats and Willow actually got to know
him more after the day ended. To make sure it was a perfect date meant that it had to be satisfiable to both parties so, in order to ensure that, Willow had to ask Spike a lot of personal questions. She had learned all his likes and dislikes and even stupid stuff like how he was a fan of mixed fruit Mentos instead of the minty original ones, just like her. In fact, the more Willow got to know him, the more she realized that they had a lot in common. Spike had been patient with her when she was asking the questions, more out of curiosity rather then for obtaining information for the date. And he had been equally curious when it came to her, too. In fact, now that she thought about it, more in depth then before at least, she realized that they spent most of that time talking about stuff that was really not needed for the date. She turned again.

~^~**~^~

"So- what happened yesterday? You like spent like 5 hours there last night," Buffy looked at Willow questioningly and bit into her sandwich. The blonde slayer noticed how the now flustered redhead was fidgeting. "What are you not telling me Will?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Willow said, mentally slapping herself for not coming up with something a little more original.

"Not working Will, I know you too well. Besides, you can't lie!"

"I can too lie! It just.. takes me awhile to perfect it," she huffed out.

"Ok, getting off track here. What are you not telling me?" Buffy repeated her earlier question.

Willow looked at Buffy warily and saw that the blonde was obviously not going to just drop the subject. "Look- I went over there, we talked about what he was going to do in preparation for the date on Friday, and that's it."

Buffy raised an eyebrow, "Really? Is that all?"

Willow nodded hurriedly.

"Are you 100% positive?"

"Look, Buffy just spit it out- whatever you want to ask me- just ask it now instead of beating around the bush."

"Do you like him?"

"As what- a friend?" She cocked her head to the side, thinking it over. "I guess he's a friend of some sort."

Buffy shook her head, "No, not *just* as a friend- something more."

"As in what- an actual prospect?" she forced out a laugh, "Do you not remember the whole Spike has major crush on Buffy thing?"

"After spending over 5 hours with you, I know that he has to be at *least* somewhat interested. You can be a very charming person Will, even if you don't know it."

"And of course you choose *now* of all times to tell me this."

"You like him, don't you?" Buffy asked with a huge grin on her face.

"Drop it Buffy. Nothing's gonna happen- he likes *you*. Why do you keep on overlooking that little matter?" the sarcasm was heavy in her voice.

"Because it's just that- a *little* matter."

"Buffy, I was going for the sarcasm there if you didn't notice."

"Why won't you answer my question?" the blonde asked, trying another tactic.

"What are you talking about?"

"Why won't you answer if you like him or not?"

"I told you already. Buffy, just drop it."

"Ah hah!" Buffy pointed a finger at Willow, "I caught ya! You *do* like him and cuz you can't lie to me you're trying to avoid it- ooooh.. I'm onto you Rosenberg!"

"Can you see me trembling in fear?" the redhead dead panned.

"Oh- come on Will- just say it!"

Willow threw up her hands, "Alright Alright- I like him! Happy now?"

"Very."

She looked at her best friend curiously, "Ok, why are you not freaking out here?"

"I may not like him very much, but I think you guys actually fit in some odd and twisted way. Plus, it gets him off my back."

"Am I supposed to find that comforting?" Willow then added, "Because it's not."

"Ok- that came out wrong. I just meant that he seems to get along with you more then he does with me. I could never *ever* see myself having a 5 hour conversation with him. In fact, I'm having a hard time believing anybody except you could."

"So- you're not mad?"

"No, why would I be mad?"

"Well, you're a slayer" she paused for a second, "Wait- what am I doing? I don't want to get you mad."

"My point exactly."

"But I don't know what he feels towards me. For all I know, he probably is and still will be obsessed with you."

"Yeah, right- not after 5 hours with you, Will."

"You should've seen him last night Buffy. Every time he talked about the upcoming date his eyes would light up. It was really sweet."

"And it would be if I could actually stand him."

Willow let out a sigh, "So- what exactly am I supposed to do now?"

"Well, I think you should go for it"

"Have you not been hearing *any* of the things I've been saying? He likes *you* Buffy, a lot."

"And things change. Look, all I'm saying is just spend more time with him, which you have an excuse for by the way, and see where it all leads you." Buffy shrugged, "If you don't get a boyfriend out of it, at least you'll get a new great friend." She cringed a little, "I can't believe I just encouraged you to befriend Spike or go out with him."

"I am also in shock, equally if not more"

"Oh- you're hilarious." Buffy commented dryly. "Will you actually take my advice this time?"

"Yeah, I think I will," Willow giggled as she continued on, "And if it doesn't work, I have someone to push the blame to."

"Oh- feeling the love here!"

Willow walked over to Buffy and embraced the blonde in a tight hug, "Thanks Buffy- really."

The slayer merely grinned, "I should be thanking you too- and I am."

~^~**~^~

"Ok- so what movie are you guys seeing?" Willow asked as she took the items out of the brown paper bags.

"Final Destination 2."

"Ahh.. good one. Michael Landes for the gawk factor and it's a horror movie so she'll definitely like it." Willow couldn't help but feel a sinking feeling as the words came out of her mouth but, determined not to show it, she kept the fake smile plastered onto her face as she continued on, "Alright- so where do you want me to start? You're helping me, you know this"

"I know- I know. You've told me more then once, pet. Besides I wouldn't want you to go and curse me." Spike brought a bottle of Windex and paper towels with him as he walked over to the windows, ready to start cleaning. "I can't believe you have me doing housework. This gets out to anybody and you're in for some torturing, chip or no chip."

"Got it Spike- I know- you have a reputation to maintain." She grabbed a broom and began to sweep, trying to keep her thoughts focused on helping Spike get Buffy- and *nothing* else. "Do you have any music, Spike?" She was getting tired of the silence, her mind was just *not* listening to her today and the bad, bad, *bad* thoughts just wouldn't stop coming.

"I've only got a Walkman. Damn crypt doesn't get electricity."

Willow nodded and opened the CD player, surprised to find Hybrid Theory in it instead of some rock group. She looked up surprised and asked, "You listen to alternative?"

"I've got a wide range of musical tastes, luv." He defended.

She smiled a sweet smile and closed her eyes, nodding her head to the music. Soon, her problems were pushed to the back of her mind and all that she had going through her head were the lyrics and the music.

~^~**~^~

"Promise me you'll be nice." Willow sat on the bed and watched as Buffy got ready for her date. Seeing the look on Buffy's face, Willow stopped her with a look, "No whining- just promise!"

The Slayer gave her best friend a pout and then huffed out, "Fine! I promise to be nice!" After Buffy put the finishing touches that completed her look she turned back around to face Willow, who was staring out the window, a wistful look on her face. The blonde looked worriedly at her and asked, "Are you sure you want me togo through with this, Will?"

"What?" Willow asked, confused. Buffy's voice had snapped her out of her reverie.

"Do you want me to go through with this?" The Slayer repeated.

"Yeah, of course- why wouldn't you?"

"You."

Willow let out a nervous laugh, "What do I have to do with it? This is between you and Spike, Buff. He likes you," then added quietly, "not me."

The Slayer let out a sigh and moved to the bed to give her best friend a much needed hug, "Like I said, sweetie- this is exactly why. I do not want to put you through this. Why don't you go on
this date instead of me?"

"I don't think that's gonna work out real well, Buffy. You know, considering how he likes *you*." The redhead turned towards Buffy, "You don't seem to be getting that."

The blonde sighed, "I really don't want to do this, for many reasons that I'm not even going to go into." She let out another sigh, "But for you, Will. I will."

"Try to have to have some fun and try not to kill him- ok?" The redhead asked pleadingly.

Buffy grinned and then replied, "Yes, mother dearest."

~^~**~^~

The silence and tension grew thicker and thicker as the two blondes walked down the street. Neither had spoken a word since the beginning of the movie and the only words exchanged before that was a simple greeting. As they neared the crypt, Buffy had finally given up. She turned to Spike, irritated, and asked, "Are you even interested in me? Because honestly, you're not acting like it."

Spike, a bit thrown from the bluntly stated question, quickly recovered and retorted, "Of course, I am. All the vamps are head over bloody heels in love with you."

"See, this is what I'm talking about. Something else is bothering you. I don't like you but I can still feel it." She stood on her toes and leaned up towards him, "You like her don't you?"

"What the bloody hell are you squawking about now?"

"Ah hah!" She pointed a finger at him triumphantly, "You like her! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!"

He rolled his eyes dramatically and mumbled under his non-existent breath, "Peachy- the bloody slayer, stupid bint that she is, figured it all out."

"I heard that Fangless. I'm not deaf."

"Great, Slayer. Nice to know you still have *some* skills."

"Look, Blondie- you want her? I can help you get her."

He looked at her incredulously, "Why would you want to help me?"

"Cuz I'm her best friend and I'm willing to put aside my extreme hatred for you to make her happy. For some very odd reason, which I will never understand, she seems to have a thing for you." She shuddered as the words came out of her mouth.

"You're willing to help me.. to get her?" He repeated, ignoring her jab.

"Yes, Spike. I am. Besides, it'll be fun- like a little project almost."

He visibly cringed, "A project? I'm not going to like this, am I Slayer?"

"Shut up, Spike. You want my help or no?"

Hesitantly, he nodded.

~^~**~^~

"Ok, first step is of course to be charming. Think you can handle that much, Blondie?"

"I'll have you know I am quite a charming bloke, Slayer." Spike defended.

She didn't look convinced, "Uh huh- right. Egotistical much? Anyhow, you know that Will is the shy type so you have to make the first move. Also, don't give up with her. She's really stubborn and oblivious when it comes to these types of things, oddly enough. She's definitely interested in you, that much I can tell you, but you're gonna have to work for her."

"Why's that?"

"Because she still thinks that you have this huge crush on me, which you don't." Then added underneath her breath, "thank god," She pasted a smile on her face before looking up and,
purposely ignoring the glare that the vampire shot her, he continued on, "And so she'll most likely think that she's a back up, which she's *not*." Buffy turned to him and gave him a suspicious look, "*Right*?"

"Slayer, do you always have to ask the bloody stupid questions? Of course, she's not second place, daft bint."

"Just a question out of curiosity. Why *did* you act like you had a crush or thing or whatever for me then?"

"It's this chip," Spike pointed to his head, "Messes with my mind."

"Right, ok- now give me an actual legitimate excuse this time."

"Honestly," he shrugged, "I don't know. You're one of those `look but don't touch' type of people. I always did like a challenge- attain the unattainable."

"Why Spike, did you just give me a compliment?"

"I'm not amused, Slayer."

She rolled her eyes, "Alright, enough of this small talk. We have to get down to it cuz, by this time next week, you're gonna be hooked up." Her grin grew as the next words came out of her mouth, "This is gonna be *so* much fun."

The look on Spike's face was one of pure terror.

~^~**~^~

"She's not gonna fall for this."

"Yes, she will."

"Slayer- Red is a smart chit- she's going to figure this out."

"Ok, the story isn't *that* unbelievable."

"It's not *that*! You're going to have me acting like a bloody poof."

Buffy rose an eyebrow, "Do you want her or not?" That quieted him down, "That's what I thought- so stop complaining! She'll fall head over heels for you after this."

He let out an unneeded sigh, "She better- or else I'm going to have to kill my third Slayer- with or without this bloody chip."

"I'm oh so frightened. Can you just see the fear in my eyes?" She dead panned as she finished the rest of the preparations. A couple minutes later, after everything was set up, the blonde
turned to the bleached blonde demon with a smile, "Ok- everything's ready. Now, I'll get her the note and you know where to go from there, right?"

He nodded with a skeptical look on his face.

~^~**~^~

"Dinner in the park, 6:00," Willow read aloud. "What the hell?"

"He asked me to give it to you." Buffy shrugged and placed what she hoped was an innocent look on her face.

The redhead raised an eyebrow and looked at her best friend suspiciously, "You're not telling me something. You have that look on your face!"

"Shit!" Buffy swore under breath but when she looked up she was smiling, "Will, you're paranoid!"

"What do you know?"

"Alright- what's with the attacking of the best friend here? Don't kill the messenger! If you really want to know then just go to that damn dinner and you'll find out!"

"With Spike?" Willow shrieked, "Why do you want me to go so bad? I mean, shouldn't you be preventing me from going? I thought you hated him. This is all so confusing. This is a trick, isn't it? If it is, I swear Buffy Anne Summers, I will hurt you. I don't care- slayer power or not, there will be some slapping going on!"

"Will," Buffy interrupted, "Shut up! You're paranoid. Go get dressed and ramble later!"

The redhead shot her a scowl and headed off to her bedroom.

~^~**~^~

Willow walked through the grass, stumbling slightly. She mentally cursed Buffy for making her wear heels. "Oh Will, your outfit would be incomplete without it!" She mimicked. "Incomplete, my ass. I'll probably end up falling on my ass."

"And what a gorgeous ass it is."

"Spike!?"

"One and only, pet."

She looked him over. He was wearing a light blue button up shirt that brought out his eyes and a pair of clean khakis.

"You look beautiful, luv." His sexy tone brought her out of her thoughts.

Willow looked down at herself. She was wearing a pair of dark blue jeans paired with a white flowy shirt. Buffy had assured her that she looked comfortable yet sexy as hell. "Oh, thanks."

After a few moments of silence, Willow finally broke it, "Why are you doing this?"

"I like you, quite a lot actually."

"But, what about Buffy?"

"It was the chip." Spike tried again to blame the electronic contraption.

Willow raised an eyebrow, "Right, you mean you never really liked her?" At Spike's nod she asked, "Then why did you go through with the whole set up thing for that date?"

"I realized in the middle of everything that I had no interest in her but I was also falling for someone else and by then it was too late for me to back out."

"Someone else," Willow repeated cautiously.

"Yes, luv, it's you." The blonde vampire smiled slightly.

"I'm yours. If you'll have me."

The redhead let out a small smile, "I'll have you."

~^~**~^~

The night passed away so quickly. It was so dreamlike. Everything was going so right. Spike looked down at the drowsy redhead that was leaning against him, using him as a pillow. She had a serene and innocent look on her face, one of complete trust. It was then, that he knew. He removed his wristwatch and held it up so both of them could see it clearly. "9:37" He announced clearly.

He sat up and slammed the watch down on a rock, with enough force to break the glass covering but not the actual watch. Willow gasped at the sudden movement and watched confused as Spike went through the movements. Finally she managed a few words, "What are you doing?"

Spike grabbed Willow's hands and opened them gently, then placed the broken timepiece in her open palms, then closing them slowly, he said, "9:37, the exact time when I realized I love you."

With teary eyes she met his gaze. For the first time in awhile, she was speechless.

"Shhhh," Spike placed a finger on her soft lips,"Don't say anything. Just feel."

Their lips met in a passionate kiss and for the very first time in her entire life, she felt a sense of fulfillment. This was where she belonged. In his arms, loved, cherished, but most of all understood.

~^~**~^~

 

http://nearheralways.com/

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Wildcherry45.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.