Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
17,979
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
29
Hits:
2,634

Chronicles of Wanderer - Slayer Run Trilogy - Libyan Assault/War of the Sections -

Summary:

A group of terrorist, lead by an demon disguised as a human plot the death of humanity - Mega Crossover includes BtVS, HL, XF, the Pretender, and various others.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Chronicles of Wanderer
Prologue
Trains, Planes and Automobiles

(This Sure Isn’t a Steve Martin/John Candy Flick)
by Steve Pantovich

 

Bureau 13 Headquarters - July 14th 8:00 am
(One day after Calling Out the Clan)

Horace Gordon looks up from his reports and grimaces as he notices that Merlin was waiting for him. /What now?/ Gordon quickly gets up, his six and half feet, towering over the smaller wizard. "What do you want now Merlin?"

Merlin grins. "Just wanted to tell you that the Council of Black Mages has been destroyed." The entire room goes silent as various Bureau 13 Agents literally drop their jaws in astonishment.

"What about Morgan La Fey?" Gordon asks in awe.

"She’s dead. I killed her personally." Merlin replies with a sad note in his voice. The entire control room erupts in cheers as the Agents cry out in joy at the fall of one of humanity’s greatest foes.

"How did you do it?" Horace asks in awe. Merlin gives him a complete report. As he finishes, the room again erupts in cheers.

Horace looks into his father’s eyes and sees the sadness, asks. "How many did you lose?"

"Surprisingly few, but every life counts. Fourteen Knights and a hundred and three Squires died when we took the Black Council’s headquarters. But we managed to kill the entire Council, a hundred twenty five Black Mages and several hundred apprentices. We also rescued almost three thousand innocent people."

Gordon shakes his head in awe. "Why are you here now and not celebrating?"

"I need help for the people we rescued. Most of them were seriously hurt by the Black Mages and their apprentices before we could pull them out of that hell hole. We don’t have enough healers and healing potions to save a lot of them. I came here to ask for your help."

Gordon’s eyes mist up as he orders. "I want every healer here as soon as possible. Break out the reserves of healing potion. Anyone who wants to volunteer, can. Team Angel is on standby for any emergencies." He then turns to Dimitri. "Dimitri contact the Sons of Van Helsing, Spooky’s Club House and every other agency that we’re allied with and get them to help." Dimitri rushes off to communications and Gordon turns back to Merlin and asks. "Anything else you need?"

"I haven’t had a chance to check in on Steve and his friends. Are they all right?"

Gordon gives his father a warm smile. "They did all right, Father. No one died but the vampires and their demon allies."

"Good." Merlin replies with a small grin. "I was worried that he wouldn’t have enough help."

"Oh, he had help all right. In fact I want to ask you who the Hell Section Seven is and what do they have to do with Steve?"

"I don’t know anything about them. Maybe Steve got in touch with some of his covert operations friends?"

"Maybe. But that doesn’t explain the incredible number of people there and the weapons that they brought to the fight."

"Weapons? What sort of weapons?"

"An advanced combat helicopter of unknown type and design. According to my agent in the field it has supersonic capabilities and a weapons package in the possible nuclear range. He also observed another aircraft that also had supersonic capabilities and laser weapons."

Merlin whistles in appreciation and asks. "Is that all or was there more?"

"About twenty men armed with laser rifles and pistols, a Gargoyle, a Werewolf and the Avatar of Shiva, just to name a few."

Merlin grins. "Damn, Steve certainly pulled this one off. I think that I should pay him a visit and ask how he did it."

"Mind if I join you?"

"Why?"

"Because I want to find out if he’s willing to work for me once in a while."

"I’m sure something can be worked out." Merlin replies with a grin. "But first, let’s get those medical supplies and healers to the Knights’ headquarters."

*****

LAX - July 31st 9:00 am - PST
(Three weeks after Calling Out the Clan)

Owen Marshall and his fellow Watchers exit the plane and quickly move towards customs. He looks over to his superior, Mr. Quinton Travers and wonders about the report that Samuel Zabuto had recently given to the Council. He quietly waits in line as his fellow Watchers go through customs. After they clear customs, Owen moves forward and asks. "Where to now Sir?"

"Sunnydale." Travers replies as he gets into the rental car with his three colleagues.

*****

Continental Flight 101 - July 31st 8:00 am
Somewhere over the Rockies

Mulder looks out of the window on the plane as it flies over the Rockies. He reaches out and gently squeezes his wife’s hand. She returns the squeeze and asks. "Mulder, Skinner was pretty easy about giving us this two week vacation. Do you think Bill had anything to do with it?"

"Of course he did. The Consortium loves it when we’re on vacation. This way they know that we’re not interfering with any of their carefully laid plans."

Scully grins. "I’ll bet that Steve and Buffy will be surprised to see us this soon."

"I know." Mulder grins. "That’s why I didn’t bother to call them."

Scully just shakes her head in silent amusement.

Part 1 - Meetings

Society of Watchers Meeting - July 28th 5:00 pm
Trial of Joe Dawson

Joe Dawson stands before the reconvened Council of the Society of Watchers and waits for their decision. The Council rises as they give Joe their decision. Arthur Cambridge speaks for the Council. "Joe Dawson, you are here on charges of Treason and Interference. The Council has met in closed doors and has rendered a decision."

Joe continues to stand, hands clasped around the head of his cane, waiting for what was probably his death sentence. He stands there and unflinchingly stares into the Council member’s eyes. Cambridge continues. "The evidence speaks for itself and neither do you deny the charges. In times past the sentence for such transgressions as yours would earn a Watcher the death penalty."

Cambridge takes a dramatic pause as the assembled Watchers grow restless, several calling out for mercy. As they quiet down, he continues. "So be grateful these aren’t those times, Dawson. The Council votes to retain you as the head of the North American branch of the Society of Watchers. The evidence recently uncovered and witnessed shows that you did the right thing in saving the lives of the Immortals and putting an end to the ‘Game’." The crowd breaks into cheers and Joe looks around himself and grins. Buster O’Hara and Bill Davis shake his hand as a large number of well wishers surround him and congratulate him.

Cambridge slams his gavel and calls out. "Please be seated. The meeting is not over yet. Joe, please stay where you are. The Council has some questions for you."

"What’re the questions Arthur?"

"Since we now know what the Immortal’s purpose is. What do we do?"

"Simple. We continue to be Watchers. Those Immortals that don’t fight, we continue to watch them and record their lives as we did before."

"What about those Immortals who chose to fight?" Anthony Watkins asks.

"We give them whatever support we can. Even if it means our lives. You’ve all seen the horrors that those things were capable of. We just got a taste of their evil and we had to bury one hundred twenty seven of our friends and fellow Watchers. I want revenge and by supporting the Immortals in their fight, we get the revenge that is our due."

The Society of Watchers erupts into cheers as Joe finishes his speech. Cambridge waits for the shouting to die down before he bags his gavel and pronounces. "So motioned, so approved." The Society members raise their voices again and the meeting breaks apart and a new era in the Society of Watchers begins.

*****

July 31st 11:15 am - PST
Apartment of Rupert Giles and Jenny Calendar

Quinton Travers quietly knocks on Rupert Giles’ apartment door, but no one answers. He looks at his three colleagues who just stand there, waiting for his next order. "Let’s go to the high school library. Maybe he’s there."

The four quickly get back into their car and go to the library to find it locked up tight. As they look around, a small, nasty man approaches them and demands. "What are you people doing here?"

Since it was still daylight, the four Watchers relax as Quinton asks. "Where can we find Mr. Giles?"

"Not where he should be." Snyder snaps and leaves. The four Watchers watch as Snyder leaves them standing and scratching their heads.

A large young man, wearing a sweat suit over his muscular body, walks over. Over hearing Travers’ question and Snider’s rude reply, the young man tells them. "He was headed out to his friend’s place on Bryant Terrace."

"Would you happen to know the address?"

"No. But it’s the fourth house from the corner of Garden Lane. If you go there, you’ll see Mr. Giles’ car parked in front."

"Thank you, young sir." Quinton replies as they leave.

Larry watches the four leave and feels a warmth in his groin as he watches a dark haired man, not much older than him walks away with a tantalizing sway to his hip. /Oh God! But he’s got a great ass./

*****

Wesley Wyndham-Price glaces back and uncomfortably watches as the young man watched him with predatory gaze. "My God! The way that young man was looking at me, you’d think I was a piece of beef in the butcher’s window."

Travers turns around and glares at his young associate. "What was that, Wyndham-Price?"

"Nothing, Sir." Wesley nervously stutters out.

*****

A few minutes later, Owen spots Giles’ ancient Citroen and Taylor Raleigh stops the car behind it. All four men get out and approach the front door.

*****

July 31st 11:25 am - PST
Residence of Steve St. Wolf

A sweating and tired Willow reaches for several cans of soda as the front doorbell rings. She curses softly as she puts the sodas back in the refrigerator and calmly walks over to the front door. As she approaches it, she loosens her handgun from its holster and looks through the peephole. She sees four strangers dressed in tweed business suits and opens the door, her gun behind her leg, ready. "May I help you?"

"Yes, young lady. We’re looking for Mr. Rupert Giles. Would he be here at this time?"

"May I ask who you are?"

"Certainly, Miss. Tell him that Quinton Travers is here from London."

Willow’s face quickly loses its warmth. "Please wait out here. Mr. Giles will be with you in a moment." She quickly closes and locks the door.

Quinton turns to his companions and mutters. "Absolutely no manners." His companions silently nod their heads in agreement.

*****

Willow quickly runs into the gym and walks over to Giles. "Giles, there’s some Travers guy outside. Is he from the Council?"

Giles stiffens and Jenny looks over to Willow and asks. "Is he alone?"

"No. He’s got three more guys with him."

"Bring them into the house and escort them here." Steve tells Willow.

"Why bring them here?" Giles asks.

"Have you ever tried to get blood out of a carpet?" Steve replies with an evil grin.

"Steve I hope you're not planning on doing them any harm." Giles asks.

"Only if they try to cause any problems."

*****

Willow and Jenny grin as they leave the gym and quickly walk to the front door. Jenny opens the door and asks. "Will you gentlemen please follow me?"

The four Watchers quietly enter the house and Willow closes the door behind the last of them. Jenny, her gun hidden in her sweat pants, escorts them to the gym and grins at their reaction to the group waiting for them.

Quinton Travers looks around him and can't believe his eyes. A rough and fit Giles looks at him from the weight bench that he's sitting on and grins. Quinton looks around the gym and sees a large number of young people looking back at him. He clears his throat and asks Giles. "Rupert, this is not the place or company to discuss our business."

"Why shouldn't it be? Everyone here knows about the Slayers and the Council of Watchers."

Quinton looks around, noticing the youth of the group standing in front of him. When he spots Brian, he quickly loses his temper as he angrily demands. "Have you lost your mind? What on Earth could have made you tell all these children about us?"

"Because they deserve to know who they are fighting beside. I will hide no secrets from my friends."

Quinton does a double take and then it hits him. This place, the weapons spread across the room, the young men and women standing there in their wet sweats. "My God, Rupert. Don't tell me you're training these children to fight? How could you involve them in Council business?"

"Giles is not the one doing the training here." Steve tells Quinton. "Sonja, Gabrielle and I are."

Quinton looks over to the young man who has just spoke and the two women standing near him. He snorts back a laugh and snidely tells him. "Young man, you and these two ‘women’ certainly do not have the skills to train a Slayer."

"Their credentials speak for themselves Quinton. They are more than able to teach Buffy how to fight."

"Oh and what sort of skill could this young people teach? And as for credentials, I seriously doubt that they have any." < Other than the man being a toy for the Slayer's pleasure. > Quinton remarks to himself as he notices how close the Slayer was standing next to the young man.

"I wouldn't piss my honey off." Buffy warns Quinton. "He's liable to kill you on the spot."

"I wouldn't doubt it for a second. He looks the type." Wesley snidely replies, not liking all of the obviously fit men standing around the room.

Steve glares at the older man and tells him. "When I first met Giles I thought he was the typical Watcher. Then Zabuto tries to kill Kendra and I thought that he was an aberration, but I see now that he was the typical Watcher and Giles is the aberration."

"Aberration is a good way to put it." Quinton angrily replies. "Rupert Giles, consider yourself discharged from the Watchers. Your Slayer and Kendra will be given to new Watchers."

"Like Hell I will!" Buffy angrily tells Quinton. "You do NOT have the right to order me around."

"We are your Watchers young lady. You will do whatever we say or the consequences will be most dire." Quinton snaps out.

"Oh? And what, pray tell, might they be?" Steve softly asks with a hard edge.

"Recalcitrant Slayers have been known to have short careers. Very short ones." Quinton threatens.

Everyone glares as Cordelia angrily stalks forward. "I *DIDN'T* just hear you threaten Buffy's life."

Quinton glares at the young dark haired woman dressed in a tight, form fitting exercise outfit, in distaste. "This is none of your concern Miss. So don't get involved."

Cordelia then hauls off with a right cross and decks Travers to the ground. She looks down on Travers and orders. "Get back up you piece of shit. I want to hit you again."

Before Quinton could comply, Xander takes Cordelia by the arm and escorts her away from the downed Watcher. Quinton gets up, rubbing his jaw. < My God! She hits as hard as a Slayer. Could she be? No, she couldn’t be. > He gives a grinning Giles a glare. "Think that was funny Rupert? Then laugh at this. The Council will revoke your status as a Watcher and we will have all of your teaching credentials lifted as well. The Royal Museum will disavow you and blacklist you. You will never find work again. And if your Slayer knows what's good for her, she will pack up her belongings and leave with us."

"For a supposedly intelligent man, you are seriously stupid." An angry voice replies from behind the Watchers.

Quinton turns around and mutters. "Who the Bloody He. . ." Just as an armored hand smashes into his face. Travers reels back and the three other Watchers move into and off to the side of the door as a man in black armor walks into the gym.

Marc Le Chevalier, his full 6'6" armored height filling in the doorway, softly orders the three Watchers. "Pick that piece of shit up." The three hastily comply and move back to the side. Marc moves into the gym and wryly tells Steve. "I can't leave you alone for a minute, can I?"

Steve gives his old friend a warm grin. "What's up Marc? Why are you here?"

"Wanting to visit an old friend isn't reason enough?"

"Marc, you're the Knight General of the Order of the Grail, you don't just visit anyone."

*****

Wesley looks over to his friend Owen and quietly asks. "Knight General of the Order of the Grail? It can't be. The Order's only a legend."

"It looks like the legends are true." Owen replies as another half dozen Knights enter the gym, seriously crowding it, Owen looks on in awe as each man proudly displays the image of the Grail in gold relief on their breastplates.

Wesley helps Quinton Travers up and easily resets his nose. Quinton glares at the younger Watcher and angrily turns to face the so-called Knight General, but he suddenly finds himself surrounded by six Knights and meekly follows everyone else out to the living room.

*****

Steve's friends look on in shock as six more knights enter the gym and spread themselves out around the Watchers. Steve looks around at the tight packed quarters and quietly asks. "Marc, let's take this to the living room. This place was never built for so many people in mind."

"Good thinking. I don't think Merlin would find it comfortable to be sitting on a weight bench." Marc replies with a grin.

"Merlin's here? What for?" Steve asks.

"He wants to ask about the mission he sent you on. Merlin said your report was some what lacking in details and he has some questions about the people you called in to help." Marc replies as they leave the gym. He looks over to one of the Knights and orders. "Bring those four as well. Merlin doesn't take kindly to people who threaten his friends." The four Watchers are quickly grabbed up by four of the Knights and escorted into the living room where Merlin, dressed in a pair of comfortable jeans, work shirt, hiking boots and six foot gold and crystal wizards staff was waiting with a grey haired man were waiting for them.

*****

Steve looks at the pair sitting down on one of his couches and quietly asks the elder of the two. "What's going on Merlin? You didn't get my report concerning the mission that you sent us on?"

"Yes I did. So why is it that I have to find out from other sources that you took out over 700 vampires?" Merlin replies as he glares at Steve.

The four Watchers stare in shock. Owen speaks up and asks politely. "Pardon me, Sir. Did you say that this group of young people were responsible for killing 700 vampires?"

"And twenty demons." Giles adds with a grin as he watches the Watcher's faces turn white.

"How could you do all of that? No Watcher or Slayer should have been capable of doing that." Quinton Travers replies in disbelief.

"That is exactly what we're here to find out." Merlin angrily barks out. "If you open your mouth once more, Sir. I will shut it up permanently." The four Watchers cringe back and just watch in awe as a living legend stands up and approaches the Slayer and her male companion. Merlin holds up a single sheet of paper and barks out. "You call this a report?"

Steve takes the paper, reads it and hands it back. "Yep."

Merlin balls the paper up and throws it into a waste basket. Xander chooses that moment to be flippant. "Merlin shoots, he scores and the crowd roars." Several people chuckle and Merlin glares at Xander, who gives him a grin.

Merlin just shakes his head in disbelief < Damn kids. > and turns to Steve. "Steve, a report should have more than the single sentence saying, ‘We won' on it."

"Sorry, I had something else to do at the time." Steve replies evenly, though he blushes, slightly.

Buffy turns to Steve and asks. "Was that what you were trying to do when we. . ." Buffy leaves the rest hanging, but turns a pretty shade of pink. Steve wraps his arm around her and holds her closer, reassuring her.

Merlin turns to her with a wide grin and tells her. "Young lady, you should allow your paramour a few minutes to correctly do his reports. If he had given me a complete report, then I wouldn't have to have come out here and get it first hand."

"You should have just asked me to expand on it. I would've gotten to it, sooner or later." Steve replies.

"Probably much later." Merlin mutters under his grin. < It's good to see Steve enjoying life. > "Back to business. What are those four doing here?" Merlin asks, pointing to the four Watchers.

"They have a problem with Giles and Buffy. Giles can explain it better than I can." Steve replies as Buffy snuggles into the crook of his arm.

Merlin turns to Giles and asks. "Mr. Giles would you care to enlighten me?"

"Yes, Sir." Giles replies respectfully just before he goes into detail what happened between him, Zabuto and the Council.

After Giles finishes, Marc asks Steve. "Is this the girl that you requested a rotating guard for?"

"Yes."

"You’ll have it." Marc angrily replies, then stalks over to the four Watchers and coldly tells Travers. "Understand this. That girl in the hospital, Mr. Giles, Ms. Summers and their families and friends are under my protection. Try and harm any of them and I will consider it an attack against the Order of the Grail as a whole and as a personal attack against myself."

"And I will also consider it a personal attack." Merlin adds darkly. "Steve has served me for the last thirteen years and I’ll not take any action against him or his loved ones lightly."

The four Watchers can only nod their heads in agreement. Merlin shakes his head in disgust and asks Steve. "Give me that report now."

"All right Merlin." Steve replies as he launches into a detailed report on the assaults and their various aftermaths. Merlin, Marc and their companion grin as they hear about the numbers of destroyed vampires and demons. The four Watchers listen in muted awe.

As Steve finishes, Merlin asks. "Who came to help Steve. I want a complete list and how to contact them."

"Sorry Merlin, but I’m not giving it to either you or Marc. Those people are friends of mine and I won’t take advantage of their good intentions by handing them over to you."

"Mr. St. Wolf." The grey haired stranger begins. "Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Horace Gordon and I’m the director of Bureau 13."

"What are you doing here Gordon?" Steve asks, suddenly suspicious.

"I’m here to over see the interests of the United States of America." Steve begins to look up at the ceiling in disgust. "Mr. St. Wolf, I’ll make this short and to the point. I want you and your friends to help us fight the Darkness. I’m not asking you or any of your friends to become Bureau 13 Agents. The only thing that I’m asking for, is that they be asked if they would continue to help."

"I’ll ask them. If they say yes, then I’ll provide their names and phone numbers. If any of them say no, then you won’t get anything on them. Is the good enough?"

"Good enough Mr. St. Wolf. We don’t force people to help us. If you ever need our help, please call this number." Horace gives Steve a business card. "Please pass the number to your friends who do volunteer to help and we’ll give them whatever support they need."

"Thank you, Mr. Gordon. I’m sure most of us here appreciate the help." Steve replies as he stares directly at the four Watchers.

Gordon, seeing where Steve is looking, gets up and walks over to the Watchers. "I’m sure that Merlin and the Knight General’s promises are still fresh in you memory. Well add this statement of fact: Hurt anyone here, their families or their friends and I will make it my mission in life to hunt you down and kill you."

Gordon’s promise is too much for Travers as he cries out in anger. "But the Slayer has been the property of the Council of Watchers since the beginning. You can’t just walk in and take them from us."

"And they’ve been used as nothing more than tools. They’re taken from their families and friends at an young age and expected to become perfect fighting machines. Well it’s about time that changed!" Giles angrily tells the four Watchers.

"That is against all tradition. The Watchers have guided and aided the Slayers and we know what’s best for her."

"Oh yes, you’ve guided them all right. Right into early graves. The average life-span of a Slayer is little less than a year and many of those poor girls die horribly. And what does the Council do? They go out and find another sacrifice to their all mighty pride. Well it ends here and now! Buffy and Kendra are staying with me and I won’t let you and your pride kill them."

"You have no right to do this Giles. The Council will take measures to stop you." Travers barks out, not realizing his mistake.

"I warned you and I only give one warning." Merlin quietly states as he gets up and points a finger at Travers. A beam of force leaves it and changes him where he stands. The three other Watchers look on in horror as Quinton Travers is turned into a grey feathered duck, flapping his wings in muted anger. Merlin glares at the three young Watchers as lightning bolts literally shoot out of his eyes. His voice, quiet, but the anger clearly heard orders. "Take that piece of shit and leave now and never come back. Tell the so-called Council of Watchers what happened here and tell them that next time I will destroy anyone who threatens those under my protection." Several of the Knights grab the duck, the remaining three Watchers and hustle them to the door, where they are unceremoniously dumped outside.

Owen grabs up the grey feathered duck and he quickly follows his two friends to their waiting car. The three quickly drive off in a cloud of burnt rubber. As they drive off, a laughing Steve asks Merlin. "Was that really necessary?"

"Yes it was. That bastard didn’t believe that I was the real Merlin. He thought that Giles was setting him up with some actors, so he could save Buffy and Kendra. I could read it in his thoughts."

Steve grins. "Then please explain it to Giles and the rest. I don’t want them thinking that the man I consider my mentor and father is capricious and insane."

Merlin gives Steve’s shoulder a squeeze and they both walk back to face Steve’s friends.

*****

Owen Marshall looks back from the rear seat of the car and tells his friends. "They’re not following us. Where are we going?"

"To Los Angeles. I’m going to find a hotel, then we’re going to call the Council." Wesley replies in fear.

"After that?"

"I’m getting drunk."

"Good idea." Owen replies.

*****

Giles is pacing the floor as Merlin and Steve return. He turns to Merlin and demands. "I want to know why you did that?"

"Because he thought I was an actor hired by you to protect your charge. He was planning on murdering you and taking both girls back to England." Merlin tells Giles.

"How could you know that?"

"Because I can read minds Mr. Giles. His surface thoughts were very clear concerning you, Miss Summers and Kendra."

"Very well then Sir. What am I thinking, right now?"

"A recipe for your mother’s tea cakes. Quite good actually. Would you mind terribly if I gave the recipe to my cook?"

Giles sits down and mutters. "No, that’s quite all right." He then looks around him and asks. "Quinton was really planning on murdering me and kidnaping Buffy and Kendra? Can he be so blind?"

"I’m afraid so. The man is a fanatic of the worst kind." Merlin replies softly.

"So what happens now? Does he remain a duck forever?" Giles asks.

Merlin smiles. "Don’t worry, he’ll change back in a day. I’m not as evil as my biographers make me."

"No. He’s worse." Steve replies with a laugh. Merlin glares at him, but his mouth splits into a grin.

"Just be glad that Niume likes you so much, punk."

Steve laughs. "Of course she does. Who else is going to take the bullshit you throw around, old man?"

Merlin just shakes his head, grinning, while he mutters. "Damn punk. No respect for his betters."

"What about the Council? What do we do if they attempt to force the issue" Giles asks.

"Nothing. If the Council is smart, they won’t interfere with how you and your Slayers work. If they do, then we’ll blow up that bridge when we come to it." Merlin replies as he looks around. "Now, I’ve been here for thirty minutes and no one’s gotten me a beer."

Everyone has a quick laugh as Xander walks over to the refrigerator and begins to hand out the sodas and beers.

Part 2
Old Friends Come Calling
(Damn. We’re Having A Party And I Forgot the Togas)
(What Would Bluto Say?)

July 30th - 11:45 am PST
Oak Street - Sunnydale, California

Mulder suddenly jerks the rental car and screams. "Watch where you’re going you idiots!" As another car narrowly misses them. He turns to Scully and comments in anger. "Idiot was driving on the wrong side of the road."

"Must be British." Scully replies with a grin.

"Just because some idiot’s driving on the wrong side of the road does not make them British." Mulder counters.

"You drove on the wrong side of the road in London once. What did that cabbie call you? Oh yeah, ‘Crazy Yank’?"

Mulder grimaces and parks the car in front of Steve’s house. They both get out with their travel bags, walk up to the front door, and knock.

Willow opens the door and immediately gives Scully a hug, while asking. "What are you two doing back here this soon?"

"We need to talk to Steve about his friend Merlin. Is everyone here?" Mulder asks.

"Yeah." Willow replies with a giggle as she lets the two FBI Agents in. /Boy, are they going to be surprised./

As Mulder and Scully walk in, Mulder, seeing Xander with a can of soda, announces with an evil grin. "Everybody freeze. This is the FBI and I demand access to the beer in the fridge. Anyone who gets in the way. . ." Any further comment is lost on his lips as he surveys the living room and sees the Knights in full armor. He stops short and asks. "So Steve, what’s the party for?"

Steve glares up from his seat and gives him a weak grin. "Merlin is paying me a visit. He feels that my report to him concerning that little donnybrook we had three weeks ago was not detailed enough."

"Oh? Can I see what you wrote? Maybe I can give you a few pointers." Mulder replies with a wide grin.

Before Steve can reply, Xander reaches into the garbage can and tosses the report to Mulder. "Here you go Mulder, point away."

Mulder grins as he straightens up the report and he and Scully review it for a couple of seconds, seriously studying it. Scully looks up from the report and seriously comments. "I can see how Merlin can feel that this report is not detailed enough." Just before they both start to laugh. "Oh God. Mulder, could you imagine Skinner’s face if you ever handed in a report like that?"

"Skinner would move my office to the lowest basement he could find and then pour in enough concrete to bury me in it." Mulder replies between laughs. "Steve, how could you write a report like this?"

"I had something better to do at the time." Steve replies through clenched teeth.

Mulder looks at Steve’s slightly red face and Buffy’s pink face and grins. "Ahh, young love. Too bad its no good for writing reports."

"Up your’s Mulder." Steve tells him. "What are you two doing back here? I thought your boss would have another case for you?"

"We had a long talk with a new friend. He told us some interesting things about your friend Merlin and we wanted to go over them with you. Since Merlin is already here, why don’t we ask him directly?"

"May I ask who your new friend is?" Merlin asks.

"Does the name Chaos sound familiar?" Mulder replies.

Merlin takes a deep breath and looks at Horace. "Now I can see why you consider them to be such pains in the ass."

"Who’s the guy sitting next to Merlin?" Mulder asks Steve.

"Horace Gordon. He’s the Director of Bureau 13."

Mulder and Scully sit up and look at each other and just shake their heads in awe. "Steve, you have got to stop having parties like this."

Steve gives them a glare and asks. "You said you had some information?"

"Did you know that Merlin, Methos and various others lead a secret group called the Illuminati?" Mulder asks.

Steve sits up. "You have my attention Mulder. Go on." Horace Gordon also looks on in interest.

"The Illuminati has supposedly been around for the last four thousand years. Their stated goal, according to our new friend, is the protection of humanity and its history. Merlin and Methos are on the managing council. In fact Methos was supposed to have helped form the group." Mulder then looks at Merlin and asks. "Did we leave anything out?"

"No, that was quite accurate and should never be repeated again." Merlin replies as he leans threateningly forward. "Or the consequences will be most dire."

Mulder and Scully each take a deep gulp and nod their heads in agreement. Steve looks at his old mentor and angrily tells him. "Don’t threaten my friends Merlin. You don’t want to make me choose sides."

"Sorry Steve, but your two friends are sticking their noses into areas that shouldn’t concern them. May I ask how you and Chaos came to meet on good terms, I thought you both hated him."

"Chaos tends to be rather nosy himself. Did you know that he had the entire situation here under surveillance?"

"No I didn’t." Merlin replies. < But I definitely will have a talk with him about it. > "But do go on."

"Well he put two and two together and discovered that we were keeping secret various things that we, Buffy and Steve were doing in Sunnydale. He suddenly found out that we were playing by the same rules that he was. Since we were playing by his rules, Chaos felt that we could trusted to learn a few things. We, in turn agreed to continue and escalate our fight against the Consortium."

"Who’s the Consortium?" Horace Gordon asks.

"They’re a group that runs a shadow government within our own and various others. They’re responsible for hiding all of the evidence of UFO’s and aliens that you read in the tabloids. They also try to run various experiments on humanity to create some sort of hybrid with the Grays. After the hybrids are perfected the Grays want to invade and take over the planet and use the hybrids as a slave labor force. The rest of humanity is to be destroyed." Mulder tells a shocked and horrified Horace Gordon.

Gordon turns to Merlin and angrily demands. "Why wasn’t I informed about this group? Bureau 13 could destroy them overnight."

"Because then the invasion would immediately start and then we’d all lose. Chaos’ role and his predecessor’s is to buy the Earth more time to prepare for that invasion and he’s done an excellent job. We’ve had forty years to prepare weapons and technology to rival the Grays and we’ve not wasted them. We’ll be ready for them in another fifteen years." Merlin explains.

"Don’t we have any aliens willing to help us?" Horace asks.

Merlin sadly shakes his head. "No. All of them are too afraid of the Grays."

"I wouldn’t make book on that." Steve mutters.

Merlin’s head snaps up and he demands. "Cough it up Steve. I know that face. Last time you had that look, you were holding a royal flush and it cost me quite a bit of money. What do you have up your sleeve?"

"Oh, nothing much really. We have a friend who could help us, if he wants to." Steve replies with an evil grin.

Merlin chuckles. "I know that grin. It’s the same one that you have when you’re about to spoil someone’s carefully laid out plans, just as they’re about to come together. BAM! You wreck them, leaving them with less than nothing. So spill it. What’s the secret weapon?"

"Its not a what, but a who." Steve replies with a smile.

Merlin’s mouth splits into a grin. "Steve, the good Doctor is well meaning and a great asset as well as being a good friend. But even he couldn’t stop an invasion like the one that the Grays are planning."

Mulder and Scully share confused glances with Buffy and Steve. Merlin sees the confusion on their faces and apologizes. "Sorry, thought you meant an old friend of mine. Never mind."

Steve shrugs his shoulders and mutters. "And I thought that I had a Christmas card problem."

"Who is this man?" Merlin demands.

"I’m sorry Merlin, but I gave my word that I would protect his privacy." Steve explains.

Merlin’s face goes blank and he mutters in awe. "But they’re only legend. How could you and your friends befriend someone like him. This being calling itself Quinn could be the greatest hope that humanity has to survive the Grays and their allies."

Mulder and Scully look at each and asks. "How does he know?"

Steve glares at his mentor and grinds out. "Merlin can read minds. He probably took it from one of you."

"Why couldn’t he get the information from you Steve?" Mulder asks.

"Because he has such a thick skull. It’s like trying break open a safe with an ice pick." Merlin replies with a grin. "So tell me, will this Quinn person help humanity?"

Mulder thinks for a moment, then looks over to Steve, who nods his head in agreement. "Only if we help ourselves."

"What does that mean?" Horace Gordon asks.

"He’ll be there to give us sound advice and a helping hand. But he won’t protect humanity. He feels that’s humanity’s responsibility, not his." Steve replies. Steve then gives Merlin a complete report on Quinn’s activities during their last mission, including how he saved the lives of two police officers and Kendra.

Merlin and Horace sit back in awe and wonder. Marc quietly mutters. "Now this is a truly superior being. He understands that if humanity is going to be worth anything, then we must earn our position in the scheme of things. But he also understands that we may need guidance from time to time and he is willing to freely offer it."

Merlin sits up and quietly apologizes. "I’m sorry that I read your minds without permission. But I’m charged with the safety of the human race and I sometimes overstep myself."

"Apology accepted. So what’s our next step?" Steve asks.

"Simple. Tell us who the hell Section Seven is." Horace Gordon asks as the entire room cracks up in laughter. Horace, Merlin, Marc and the Knights look at each other, wondering what the joke was.

Steve looks at Mulder and gasps out between laughs. "Mulder, Merlin wants to know who Section Seven is. Would you please tell him?" Then Steve begins to laugh again. Merlin and his companions look at each other and patiently wait for the laughter to die down. A few minutes later, Mulder gains enough control to tell them the entire story and they join in the renewed laughter.

A few minutes later, everyone stops laughing and Merlin looks directly at Buffy, Steve and their friends. "I hope you know that Section Seven is now an active group. Steve, you and your friends will make up the core. You’ll have access to assets from various groups and I’ll make sure you get proper funding from the Illuminati."

Steve looks up in shock. "You can’t mean it Merlin. Section Seven was just a joke that the Lone Gunmen played on the NRO. You can’t form a covert operations group like this."

"I didn’t." Merlin replies with a roguish grin. "You did. Now you have the responsibility of running it. So enjoy."

Horace looks at his father with awe in his eyes and offers up. "If you want, I’ll help you set up a headquarters. My Technical Services people will be glad for the work."

Steve turns to Mulder and asks. "Mulder, what the hell did we do to deserve this?"

"What’s this ‘We’ Paleface? Merlin was talking to you and your little band of Slayers and Slayerettes. Scully and I are already working for the FBI full time and I don’t think that she wants another job."

Steve, the anger clearly showing on his face, demands. "Who started the Section Seven story?"

"That was Frohike. Blame him." Mulder replies with a grin.

"Who told those hostages in the supermarket who we were?" Steve asks. Mulder looks down on the floor and squirms in his seat. "Who was it?" Steve prompts.

"It was me." Mulder quietly replies. "But that doesn’t make me and Scully responsible for your little group. You were the one who told your friend Jack Gerber about Section Seven."

"Who’s Jack Gerber?" Horace Gordon asks.

Everybody looks at him as Steve replies. "Jack’s an old friend of mine who’s now in charge of an Alien Retrieval and Termination Unit or ART Unit as they’re called at Area 51."

"What the hell was an ART Unit doing here?" Horace Gordon demands, not believing that he was asking that question.

"They were lending us a hand." Steve replies with a weak grin. "Besides, it was good to see my old friends Jack, Chavez and Bushido again."

"I don’t believe this." Horace mutters. "Next thing you’re going to be telling me that you had King Arthur on your side during the battle." Horace looks around him as everyone stares at him. He just shakes his head and mutters. "Please tell me that King Arthur wasn’t with you."

"I can’t lie to you Horace." Steve replies with an evil grin. "He was there, helping us, as were four former Knights of his Round Table."

"Oh damn. What are you people trying to do to me? Give me a coronary?" Horace mutters. "Did Arthur try to take command?"

"He tried, but when Steve told him off, Arthur tried to challenge him and everybody there pointed their weapons at him. He got the message real fast after that." Scully replies with a giggle. "God, you should have seen his face when sixty rifles, shotguns and various handguns, including those of his former knights, were pointed at him."

Merlin chuckles evilly. "Good, that’ll teach him some humility. The Gods’ above know that he needs some."

"He learned his lesson." Steve replies with a grin. Merlin snickers. "After that little scene he quieted down real fast."

"Actually I think it was Lieutenant Rodgers’ threats that helped in that regard." Giles replies with a grin.

"Someone threatened Arthur?" Merlin asks in disbelief.

"LAPD SWAT Lieutenant Cody Rodgers threatened to, quote him ‘Blow Arthur’s brains out if he tried to pull another stunt like that again’."

"Gods above, I wish I could have seen his face." Merlin replies with a snicker. "I always tried to teach that boy humility, glad to see he’s finally learning it."

"Let’s get back to the topic at hand." Steve replies. "Mulder why don’t you and Scully want to help us on a full time basis? I can pay you a lot more than the FBI ever could and I don’t care if you’re married."

Mulder looks to Scully and she nods her head in agreement, Mulder turns back to Steve and tells him. "We can’t do it Steve. Not yet at least. Chaos needs us to run interference for him with the Consortium. Every time that we screw them over, we save innocent lives. If we leave, then those bastards will be able to do what they want, when they want."

"You know that we’ll be here for you, if you ever need us." Steve replies quietly as Buffy squeezes his hand in support.

"We know. The same applies for us as well. Chaos also promised to help as he can by keeping the Consortium off your backs." Mulder replies.

"Now that that’s settled, how are we going to set up an entire organization and keep our group’s location quiet?"

"That’s easy. Let’s buy the Cybertonics building and use it as a base. It’s just out of town and for sale." Xander replies.

"What’s going to be your cover business?" Horace asks.

"How about a PI firm? I used to be a pretty good private detective." Steve replies with a grin. "Plus it would be a good cover for anything that we do."

"Not a bad idea. I have several agents who run PI firms as their covers and it works." Horace replies.

"Very good then, I’ll make arrangements to purchase the building and you’ll begin your PI business in a couple of months from now." Merlin replies and gets up. "Now, I’m thirsty. Have you got anything decent to drink around here?"

Part 3
Other Battles Fought I
(How Do You Give Stockwell A Heart Attack?
Tell Him That The A-Team Is Back In Business.)

July 30th - 12:00 pm - PST
Long Neck Saloon, Yuma, AZ

The young woman looks over her shoulder and gulps as she sees two arabic men duck behind a building. /Damn. They’re still following me./ She nervously looks around and finds the Long Neck Saloon. She quickly enters it and makes her way to the bar. She quickly gets the attention of the bartender and asks. "Mr. Lee sent me. Where can I find the A-Team?"

The barkeep looks up and behind her. "The A-Team don’t like traps little lady."

The woman looks back. "Oh God. They found me. I’m dead." She cries out as both men quickly move to apprehend her. They quickly open up an area around themselves with their guns as the bar patrons quickly move away to avoid being shot.

The girl doesn’t resist as one of the men places a gun to her head and utters. "In the name of the Swords of Allah. Die traitorous bitch!!"

Before the man could pull the trigger, a whiskey bottle smashes against his head and the man slumps to the floor. His partner points his gun at the barkeep. Before he can press the trigger, a large, dark skinned man with a Mohawk haircut smashes him head first into the bar. The gun goes flying behind the bar.

The barkeep mutters. "Scumbags." Then he orders. "Tie them up BA, we’re taking them with us. Miss Armari." The woman turns back to the barkeep, who’s now removing his mustache and hair piece. "You’ve just found the A-Team."

Two more men quickly move in and manhandle the pair of would be assassins into a dark van. Everyone quickly follows them inside and the van roars away in a cloud of dust.

*****

A middle aged man, dressed in jeans and a sport coat stares at the flying dust and silently curses as he raises his communicator. "Headquarters, this is Cheshire."

"Cheshire, this is headquarters. What’s the situation?"

"Gone to shit, Birkoff. The Armari woman got in contact with some people who are now protecting her. They grabbed the two assassins that Corvo sent after her."

After Cheshire finishes, a new voice barks out. "Do you have an ID on the group that grabbed the terrorists and are helping the Armari woman?"

"No Sir. But I did hear her refer to the men as the A-Team."

*****

Silence is heard over the communicator as Operations stares down at it. /It can’t be. They’re dead or too old for something like this. But something like this was exactly Smith’s style. Damn./ He looks at Birkoff, who’s busy studying the communication board in front of himself. Operations turns back to the communicator and orders. "Find those men and collect them as new material, if you can capture them alive and reasonably whole."

"Understood Sir. Cheshire out."

Operations looks across the floor of Section One and nods to Madeline and she silently nods back. Both of them head back to Operations’ office and close the door behind them.

A young, blond haired woman with an Australian accent approaches Birkoff with a smile. When she looks at Birkoff’s face, she asks. "What happened Birkoff?"

"One of the targets being chased down by a pair of Sword of Allah assassins got herself some competent protection. They managed to capture the assassins and get the girl and the assassins away from our tracking teams."

"Who were they?" Nikita asks in awe. No one should have been able to do that. No one.

"Cheshire reported that they called themselves the A-Team. I’ve never heard of them. Have you?" Birkoff asks as Nikita’s face registers shock.

"They’re all supposed to be dead." Nikita softly replies as she turns around and quickly leaves. Birkoff watches her leave and sadly shakes his head. He watches as Michael walks up to her and tries to talk to her, but she rebuffs him. Michael’s face register’s worry for a second before it goes back to its normal blank expression.

He notices Birkoff watching them and quickly walks over to Birkoff and quietly demands. "What the Hell did you tell her?"

Birkoff tells Michael about Cheshire’s report and how the mention of the A-Team affected both Nikita and Operations. Michael leans over and asks. "Can you look up this A-Team on your computer?"

"Sure. Just give me a second." Birkoff replies as he begins a search for the name A-Team. He quickly finds it. Birkoff quickly peels off the garbage and pulls up the A-Team’s classified files. He and Michael skim through them and Birkoff whistles in admiration. "These four guys were incredible. No wonder Operations is in an uproar, these guys have screwed up more Section One business than anyone else and lived to talk about it."

"So what do these four men have to do with Nikita?" Michael quietly asks.

*****

Operations storms into his office and nervously paces it, waiting for Madeline. When she comes in, Operations nods to the door and she shuts it. Operations walks over to his desk and calls his superior. Madeline watches as emotions play across his normally neutral face and wonders what could have caused this. The screen opens up and Operations begins without preamble and gives him the latest intel on the Armari operation and finishes with. "George, I think that the A-Team is still alive."

General George Stockwell stares back at his best operative. "Are you sure?"

"Not yet, but it doesn’t look good. The rescue operation was a classic Hannibal Smith op."

"Keep me posted." Stockwell orders and the screen goes blank.

Operations looks over to Madeline and quietly mutters. "I don’t know how they did it, but they’re back from the dead."

"Hannibal always had something up his sleeve, Peter. What do think his next move’s going to be?"

Operations openly grins for the first time in years. "Take down the Swords of Allah. What else?"

"I agree. Especially if he’s on ‘The Jazz’." Madeline replies with a small smile. "What’s our next step?"

"We take out the Swords of Allah before he does and then trap him and his team when they get there to rescue the Armari family." Operations replies with a feral grin across his face.

Madeline returns the same grin. "Can I have them for a while, this time?"

"We’ll see." Operations replies as Madeline pouts.

Part 4
Old Friends
(I’ve Been Cursed. Cursed, I Tell You)

Jack Ryan sits back in his chair after he hangs up on Webb and looks over the three men standing in front of his desk. "That was one of my operatives. He just got confirmation from two NSA operatives who were in Los Angeles that our old friend was leading Section Seven."

"Are you going to tell us how to get in touch with Carson?" Lieutenant Colonel John Franklin asks.

"Sorry Bull, but like I told you a couple of days ago, I can’t give you that information."

"Bullshit! Why don’t you just call him and ask him if he is Carson Jamieson?"

"Because Carson Jamieson is still wanted for six counts of murder in Texas. If I ask him and he confirms that he is Jamieson, then I’m obligated to report his whereabouts to the Texas authorities. Until that pardon comes through, I’m not going to contact him."

"That’s a mighty thin line Jack." Franklin replies with a grin.

"It’s a line that I can morally stand on, Bull."

"Nice to see that you still have your morals Jack." Major Kevin ‘Tex’ Ritter comments.

"Hard not to when I associate with a lot of moral, decent people." Jack replies with a grin as several agents in his office openly grin back at him.

"What have you been smoking, Jack?" Ritter asks.

"Nothing, why?"

"Just curious. That’s first time that I’ve ever heard that the CIA has morals and decent people working in it." Ritter replies.

Jack glares at Tex as Bull asks. "So what do we do?"

"If Governor Bush signs the pardon today, then we’re going to pay our friend a little visit." Jack replies as his secretary hands him a fax from the Texas Governor’s office. He quickly looks it over and grins. "Are you three doing anything tomorrow?"

"Nope." Bull replies with a grin.

"Then pack your bags, we’re going to Los Angeles."

*****

Hannibal looks over the pair of would be assassins and demands. "Tell me scumbags. Do you always kill innocent women or does someone tell you to?"

One of the terrorists spits at Hannibal and barks out. "We’re the Swords of Allah, Infidel. Cower in your shoes foolish one, because you are a dead man."

Hannibal grins and lights up a cigar. He takes a puff and blows the smoke into the loud mouthed terrorist. "I’m really quaking in my boots asshole. Now tell me where I can find the Armari family."

Both men grin. "They are in our Libyan installation. Her family is being held there so her father will work for our leader, the mighty Corvo."

"And you’re telling us this for what reason?" Hannibal asks.

"So that you may go there and die." The other laughs.

"We won’t be the ones doing the dying. Your friends will." Wally tells them.

"What good are you five against two hundred?" The loud mouth asks sarcastically.

"Who says that we’re going in there by ourselves?" Face asks.

"Because you foolish Americans will never be able to stop Corvo before he can release the plague."

"When will he do that?" Hannibal asks.

"We missed our check in time." The loud mouth begins. "Corvo’s orders were that we check in every 24 hours or he would release the plague within another 72 hours."

Hannibal looks at his men and quietly reaches for his cell phone. "Hello Amy? It’s Hannibal. I’m fine. Do you have the Wanderer’s phone number by any chance?" Hannibal asks as both assassins’ faces turn a pasty complexion. Hannibal looks at them and asks. "Did anything I say scare you?"

"You know the Wanderer?" The loud mouthed terrorist asks in awe and fear.

The A-Team chuckles as Wally comments. "It looks like Wanderer’s reputation precedes him, again."

Karen Armari watches the members of the A-Team grin and chuckle at the obvious discomfort of the terrorists. "Who is this Wanderer person?"

"The Devil incarnate." The loud mouth terrorist barks out.

"A true Demon of Hell." The other mutters.

Karen looks on in wonder as Hannibal tells her. "Wanderer is the leader of a covert operations group called Section Seven. It looks like he’s already made the acquaintance of our little playmates here."

"That foul murder is responsible for the death of many of our brothers in arms." The loud mouth replies. "He’s responsible for stopping many of our just causes."

Hannibal and the rest of the A-Team just grin as Wally comments. "Steve sure gets around."

Hannibal continues to grin as he calls Steve. Buffy picks up the phone. "St. Wolf residence. Can I help you?"

"Sure can sweetheart. Is St. Wolf around?"

"Depends on who’s calling." Buffy replies stiffly. /Who is this asshole?/

"Tell him its Colonel Hannibal Smith from the A-Team. I have a major situation that I need help with."

"Give me a minute Colonel Smith." Buffy replies < Oops. > as she waves Steve over to the phone.

"Who is it Buffy?" Steve asks from across the room.

"It’s Colonel Smith from the A-Team. He has a situation that he needs help with."

*****

Horace Gordon just stares as Steve takes the call from the legendary Hannibal Smith. He turns to Merlin. "Father, I thought Smith and his team were dead."

"Looks like they got better." Merlin replies with a grin. He turns back as he hears the phone slam down and Steve shout "Damn it!"

*****

"What can I do for you Colonel Smith." Steve asks as he gets on the phone.

Hannibal gives him a quick run down on their mission. "Steve, we were recently hired by an old friend to rescue his sister and her family from a terrorist group called the Swords of Allah. You know anything about them?"

"I’ve run into them a few times in the last twelve years, Colonel. Let’s just say that there’s no love lost here. What’s the situation?"

"We were able to capture two of their assassins as they tried to kill the girl we were hired to protect. They told us that they’re holding the rest of the family in some facility they have in Libya. They also told us that the girl’s Father is being forced to work for them."

"What does the girl’s Father do?"

"He’s a virologist specializing in infectious diseases. You don’t have to have a PhD to figure out what he’s doing."

"Damn." Steve mutters. "What else?"

"The assassins just admitted that their leader is going to release some kind of disease in less than seventy two hours. Can you help us take these scumbags out?"

"You got it, Colonel. Where are you and your team?"

"Outside of Yuma Arizona."

"That’s do-able." Steve replies as he looks at his watch. "It’s now one o’clock, PST. Can you get to the Yuma International Airport by four o’clock?"

"Not a problem. Why?"

"Go to Iverson Air Freight. They’re located in the cargo section of the airport. Go to the operations manager and tell him that Steve St. Wolf sent you and that you have to get to Sunnydale Airport, ASAP. The operations manager will handle things from there."

"What about our weapons and prisoners?"

"Let’s just say that the operations manager and the crew at Iverson Air tend to have blind spots when it come to certain people and items."

"Sounds like my kind of freight company." Hannibal replies with a grin.

"Just don’t let anyone follow you. Those people are good friends and I don’t want anything happening to them."

"We’ll protect them like they’re our own." Hannibal promises as he hangs up.

*****

"Damn It!!!" Steve utters as he hangs up the phone. Everyone in the room turns to him as he walks over to the couch and takes a long pull of his beer. He looks around him at the expectant faces and gives them a rundown on what Hannibal Smith just told him. He then turns to Marc Le Chevalier. "Marc, I’ll need to use about two hundred Knights."

"You’ll have them. I’ll set up the rendevous in Chad, twelve hours from now."

"Good, that’ll give me enough time to get some specialists together to make sure whatever poison they’re cooking up gets completely destroyed."

"Giles." Steve turns to Giles. "Contact Joe Dawson and see if he knows anyone who has the proper training."

"Will do." Giles replies and goes to the office to make the call.

"So when do we leave?" Buffy asks.

"I leave, you and the rest stay behind." Steve orders.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Buffy demands as the rest look on, hurt registering on their faces. "We’re a team. You don’t leave your team behind when you’re going into a major battle."

"I’m not going to kill some monsters, Buffy." Steve softly replies. "I’m going to kill a lot of very nasty people. These people may be mass murders, but they’re still human beings. I don’t think you and the rest are ready for something like this." Steve tells them. < And I hope to God, you never are. They look back, grim determination in their eyes. "Buffy, please don’t think that I’m belittling you and the rest of our friends. This mission is going to be hard enough that I don’t want to worry about you and our friends."

"Like hell you are. Give me one good reason why you don’t want us to come with you."

"Because the Knights are spell warded against all manner of diseases and we don’t have the time do it correctly for our friends. When we attack, chances are that Corvo is going to release whatever disease he’s had cooked up in an attempt to take us all to hell with him."

"What about Colonel Smith and the A-Team?" Xander asks.

"Colonel Smith and his people are protected by the water that they drank. It’s magic will protect them from any disease."

"Steve, where did Smith get that water from?" Merlin asks.

"A friend of mine provided it to them."

"Oberon’s going to have a shit fit if he finds out that someone stole water from the fountain of youth." Merlin comments.

"Coyote’s a big boy Merlin. He can take care of himself."

"One of Oberon’s own children gave them the water?" Merlin chuckles. "Oh that’s funny. I wonder what Oberon’s going to say about it?"

"Don’t know. Don’t care until it happens." Steve replies with a grin.

"I’m still coming with you." Buffy tells Steve.

Steve turns and asks. "Do you think you’re capable of taking a human life?"

"I killed a member of the Order of Teraka with a skate blade last year. He was human." Buffy tells Steve.

Steve sees that she’s serious about going with him, relents. "All right. You can come, but no one else. Am I clear?"

"What about us?" Sonja asks pointing to herself and Gabrielle.

"You two are welcome to join in as are Mulder and Scully." Steve replies.

"What about me?" Randi asks.

"Sorry Randi, but you just don’t have the training. You stay and patrol Sunnydale with the rest of our friends.

"So much for our vacation." Mulder mutters as he takes out his gun and begins to break it down.

Everybody stares for a minute and then Steve orders. "Xander, Oz, break out six H&K G3 assault rifles, enough armor piercing ammunition for twenty magazines per rifle, body armor, grenades and anything else you can think of."

"Damn. I don’t know whether I should feel pity for those terrorists or be pissed off that I have to carry that much weight around." Mulder laments. Scully promptly glares at him and Mulder shuts up.

****

Hannibal turns back to his friends and gives them a quick run down on his conversation with Steve. BA looks troubled but he keeps quiet. Hannibal, seeing the worried look on his face, asks. "BA, what’s wrong?"

"I hate flying Hannibal, but I know that time matters here, so I won’t argue about it."

Hannibal claps BA on the shoulder and grins. "Good man BA. I’m sure the ride won’t be bad."

BA returns his grin. "So long as the fool’s not flying the plane I can take it."

"Hey I resent that." Murdock cries out and the team has a good laugh. The two terrorists and Karen look on, wondering what was so funny.

*****

Joe’s Blues Bar
Seacover, WA

Joe Dawson puts down his guitar and glares as he looks down at his phone. < Damn, why does this thing have to ring when I’m enjoying myself? > He reaches down and picks up the phone. "Joe’s Blues Bar. Can I help you?"

"Hello Joe. This is Rupert Giles. Do you have some time?"

"Are you giving me an advance on your weekly report?"

"No. I need to find an Immortal who has a working knowledge of biological warfare. Can you check the Watcher Database and find one?"

A shiver runs up Joe’s spine and his mouth is suddenly dry. "Did the vampires get their hands on some kind of bio-weapon?"

"No, Joe." Giles replies and gives him a complete rundown on the situation.

Joe leans back in his chair and just sadly shakes his head. < The Society’s never gonna believe that we have to act this soon. > He reaches down and begins to type on his computer. Several names pop up and Joe gets back to Giles. "All right Giles, I have several names and as luck would have it, one of them is a friend of Duncan’s who lives nearby. Do you want me to ask him to contact him and explain the situation?"

"If you could, please. I’m sure that he wouldn’t mind." Giles replies as he hangs up.

Joe silently gets up and heads to the door. As he exits, he calls over to his bartender. "Mike, I’m going over to Duncan’s place. If you need me call me on my cell."

The bartender nods and continues to clean the bar glasses.

*****

Fifteen minutes later Joe enters DeSalvo’s Gym and finds seven Immortals going through their daily routines. He quietly sits down and watches as six of the Immortals pair off under the critical eye of Duncan Macleod and enter into a rotating sparring session. Joe notices that the two newest Immortals, Jarod and Andrea were advancing a lot faster than Justin. < Must be their background. > Duncan notices Joe quietly sitting off to the side and gives him a grin as he walks over.

"Joe, what brings you here?"

"Rupert Giles just called. Steve needs some help on a mission that just came up." Joe then gives Duncan a complete rundown.

Duncan’s mouth sets into a grim line. "I’ll call Henry right now. I hope he’ll want to join in on this." As Duncan gets up to leave he asks. "Do you think that Steve would mind some extra backup on this?"

Joe grins. "I’m sure he wouldn’t mind the company."

"Good. Because I happen to like doing this type of work."

*****

Jarod looks over Andrea’s shoulder as he spars with her. "Looks like Joe Dawson has something important for Duncan."

"What makes you say that?"

"He’s here far too early for it to be a social call. I wonder what it is?"

"Curiosity killed the cat, Jarod."

Jarod’s face blanks for a second and he stops fighting. "It did? When? I just saw Patches a few minutes ago?"

Andrea knocks his sword to the side and then grabs him by his shirt front and pulls him in for a long kiss. Jarod wraps his arms around her waist and Andrea just melts into him. Richie, Amanda, Justin and Methos stop sparring and watch the pair. "Someone throw a bucket of cold water on those two. That is disgusting." Methos complains with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Oh shut up old man. They’re young and in love. Let them have their happiness." Amanda replies with a grin. /Damn, I wish Duncan acted like that more often./

Justin and Richie look at each other and just shake their heads. "Those two act like teenagers. Next time Methos or Duncan complain about us, I’ll remind them about these two." Richie comments.

"That’s enough everybody." Duncan calls out. When he has everyone’s attention, he gives them a run down on the mission as Joe gave it to him.

Jarod and Andrea immediately step forward. "Duncan, Andrea and I have a working knowledge of those types of laboratories. Can we lend a hand?"

"Of course you can. You two handled yourselves well three weeks ago. So I don’t see any problems with you two coming along." Duncan replies, then turns to the rest of the Immortals. "Anyone else interested?"

"Duncan, darling, are you trying to ask us to come along on this little jaunt?" Amanda replies as she wraps herself around the Highlander.

Duncan grins as he takes her into his arms and looks deeply into her eyes. "You know me too well, Amanda."

As they gaze deeply into each other, Methos goes. "Harumph." Duncan and Amanda reluctantly break up as Richie asks. "Is this a trip for couples only or can us single guys join in the fun?"

"Who else is going to carry our luggage?" Amanda quips as she and Andrea share a mutual grin. Duncan and Jarod just shake their heads in respect as the sparring session breaks apart and everyone goes to make preparations.

****

Duncan goes into his office and calls his old friend, Henry Stamos. "Henry this is Duncan. Can we talk?"

"Certainly Duncan. What can I do for you?"

Duncan then explains the mission and what he was needed for. Henry Stamos listens intently and finally asks. "Duncan, can these people be trusted? I’ve worked with covert units before and I’ve never liked them."

"Yes Henry, they can be trusted." Then Duncan tells him what happened three weeks earlier in Los Angeles and its outcome.

Henry sits back and quietly asks. "Do you believe it? That we’re fated to become the Champions of Humanity?"

"I believe it more than I believe the ‘Game’ was our fate. Will you help?"

Henry stares at the pictures of his mortal wife and their adopted children, then he imagines them dying of an unknown disease and him going on without them. "Yes, I’ll help. Where do we meet?"

Duncan gives him the Iverson Air Freight address in Seattle and they agree to meet there in three hours. "Duncan, just one more thing. This Steve St. Wolf, does he use the name Wanderer on occasion?"

Duncan’s mouth splits into a grin. "Yes, he does. Have you heard of him?"

"Yes I have. The man’s reputation is one of the best in the intelligence world."

"Does it make a difference?"

"Yes it does. I like knowing with whom I’m dealing with." Henry replies as he hangs up his phone.

Duncan looks down at the phone and grins.

Part 5
Telephone Conversations
(Tweed In An Uproar)

Owen Marshall stares down at the phone in front of him and nervously picks it up. His two companions, Wesley and Raleigh both watch as he dials the phone number to the Watcher’s Council in Britain. The phone is picked up and Owen repeats the daily password. "Trafalgar." He is immediately put through to the Council chambers and one of the Council members picks up the phone. "This Owen Marshall, I need to speak to the Council."

"Where’s Mr. Travers?" The voice asks.

"Not able to speak at present."

"I’m putting you on speaker. Please speak clearly and report."

Owen waits for the voice to speak, sounding slightly distant. "You’re on speaker now Watcher Marshall."

"Thank you Sir." Owen replies before continuing. He gives them a complete report on what happened in Sunnydale. The phone is silent for several long minutes.

The three young Watchers wait and listen as a voice tells them. "Call back in three hours. We’ll have orders for you then."

The three stare at each and wonder what their orders would be.

*****

Council of Watchers Headquarters - Somewhere in Britain.

The Council members look at each other in pure disbelief. Lord Tanner looks over to Owen’s father and asks. "Is your son drunk, Carter?"

Carter Marshall glares at Lord Tanner and replies through clenched jaw. "My son doesn’t drink, Lord Tanner. He sounded very fearful and can you fault him? Merlin turns his mentor into a duck and you expect him to be calm about it?"

Before Tanner can reply, the head of the Council, Sir William Appleby calls it to order. "Marshall! Tanner! Stop this bickering at once." Both men shut up and turn back to the Council. Appleby clears his throat and asks. "What do we do now?"

"It’s obviously a hoax of some kind by Rupert Giles." Antonio Carpelli replies. "Merlin? He’s just a legend. The Knights of the Grail? Another legend. This Bureau 13 claptrap? Another fabrication by Rupert Giles to protect that Summers girl. I told you last year that he was too close to her and that we should have replaced him then. Now he’s creating his own organization and taking our Slayers for himself."

Several of the members also agree with this spin on the events and call for an assault group to be sent to apprehend the rogue Watcher and his Slayer. Appleby calls for order and the Council subsides. "We can not have a pitched battle in the middle of an American city."

"Let’s use the Order of Teraka to get rid of our problem. We’ve done it before." One Watcher recommends. Several second this idea and the Council quickly votes to send the Order against them. Sir William calls his contact in the order and the phone is answered by a voice with a hissing quality to it. Several of the Council members look on disapprovingly at this turn of events but remain quiet.

"What do you Watchers want?" The voice asks.

"We wish to remove a rogue Watcher and his Slayer." Appleby replies.

"Who are they?"

"Rupert Giles and the Slayer called Buffy Summers."

The voice loudly hisses. "You are fools. The Order of Teraka does not take on suicide missions."

The Council members look at each other in disbelief. The Order was afraid of a single Watcher and Slayer? "What do you mean?" Appleby asks.

The voice now laughs. "The girl and her Watcher are protected by forces that even we fear, old man."

Appleby look around the Council and sees that many of the faces share his confusion. "What sort of forces protect them?"

"The information will cost you."

"How much?"

"One hundred thousand pounds."

"If the information is accurate and applicable, we’ll pay it." Appleby replies. Several of the Council members grit their teeth at the cost, but remain silent.

"The Watcher Giles and his Slayer have joined forces with the demon hunter called the Wanderer."

"What?" Appleby cries out. "That being is only a legend, no Watcher has ever seen him."

"He exists. He’s responsible for the death of twenty three members of the Order." The voice angrily hisses out. The jaws of several Council members drop, but no sound comes out. "He also carries the Sword of Destiny called Demon Slayer."

Several Council members stare in disbelief as Appleby asks. "And his interest in the Slayer Buffy Summers and her Watcher Rupert Giles?"

The voices laughs. "She has become his student and lover. Your Watcher has become his Watcher now." The voice cryptically adds.

/What does that mean?/ Appleby and several Council members wonder. "What else is there?"

"The Wanderer serves but one being and is friend to many more. Attempt to harm him and they will destroy you."

"Who are they?"

"He is oathed in service to Merlin and his wife Niume as their personal champion." The Council members gasp in shock. "He can also call upon the aid of the Knights of the Order of the Grail, several of Oberon’s Children, the Council of Dragons, the American CIA, the British Secret Service and the French Security Service, just to name a few."

The Council members are in shock at this turn of events, but Appleby presses on. "I have one more question. What is Bureau 13?"

"How do you know of them?"

"The Watcher Giles and the Slayer Summers also have their protection. What are they?"

"There are stories of a covert group that works for the United States Government. They are supposedly equipped with powerful magic and weapons. They hunt down paranormal threats to that country’s safety. It is said that anyone who stands against them falls. Members of our Order who have faced them have never reported back."

A shaken Appleby looks around the Council and sees that the meeting was going to be a long one. "Thank you for the information. Your money will be deposited in the usual account by the end of the week."

"Some free advice, for valued customers." The voice hisses out.

"If you would, please."

"Cut your loses and leave them alone or your Council will be dust in the wind." The voice replies as it cuts off the connection.

Appleby looks at the rest of the Council and asks. "Anyone else have a better suggestion?"

The Council members look around at themselves and nod their heads in defeat. As Appleby is about to call the meeting to an end, a young man approaches from a side door. Appleby sees him and asks. "What is Smithers?"

The man looks up at the stoic faces of the Council and tells them. "A new Slayer has been found in the city of Boston. Our local Watcher, Miss Linda Pryce, has contacted her and taken her under her wing."

Appleby just stares at the young man for a full minute, until he gets his voice back. "Is she sure that the girl’s a Slayer?"

"Yes sir. She ran all of the tests and it’s confirmed." Smithers replies.

"Thank you Smithers. You can go now." Smithers quickly leaves the room and Appleby turns to the Council. "I vote to cut our losses and leave Giles and his Slayers alone." The Council hurriedly agrees.

Lord Tanner adds. "We’ll also never tell this new Slayer about the other two Slayers." The motion is also quickly approved.

Appleby turns to his assistant and orders. "When young Marshall calls back have him come back immediately."

*****

Two hours later, Owen Marshall calls in and receives the return order. He turns to his two companions and tells them. "We’re going home. The Council wants us back." The other two relax and reach for the room service menu and order in. Their flight back home was leaving the next morning.

Part 6
Q & A
(Nothing Gets a Mouth Moving Like Magic)

Hannibal watches the rear of the van as they enter the Iverson Air facility in Yuma. As BA parks the van, a man wearing an Iverson Air jacket walks out of the hanger. He gives them a friendly grin and promptly asks. "What can I do for you folks?"

BA nods to Hannibal. The man walks to the other side of the van and approaches Hannibal. "Are you the operations manager?"

"Yes Sir. I am. My names Tom Coventry."

Hannibal grins. "Steve St. Wolf told us you could get us and our cargo to Sunnydale ASAP."

Coventry’s face loses his wide open grin and immediately becomes pure business. "Get the van in the hanger. Your plane is waiting for you." He then leads the van into the hanger. As the A-Team gets off with its ‘cargo’, Coventry gives them their flight schedule. "You’ll take off from here and travel due east for thirty minutes. Then the pilot will cross paths with another Iverson jet going west. When they reach that point, both planes will drop below radar and turn 180 degrees. You’ll then proceed straight to Sunnydale. The other plane will continue on your old course. Any questions?"

Hannibal grins. < Damn, these guys are pros. > "Nope. Just let us get our ‘cargo’ aboard and we’ll be on our way."

"Good luck, Sir." Coventry replies as he snaps a salute.

Hannibal returns it and asks. "Why the salute?"

"You may not remember me, Colonel Smith, but you pulled my unit out of a tight spot in the Delta, back in 72."

/Damn, this kid couldn’t be old enough?/ Then it hits him. "You’re like Steve, aren’t you?"

Coventry grins. "Yes Sir."

"Thanks." Hannibal replies as he boards the jet. Coventry waves them off and the plane rolls out of the hanger and immediately gets clearance to take off. When the plane levels out, Hannibal walks to the cabin and asks the pilot. "How’d we get clearance so quickly?"

"Told the tower that we had an organ delivery. That gives us a priority take off."

Hannibal grins as he goes back to his seat and relaxes as the plane begins its near supersonic flight east. < Damn. I could get used to this. > He looks over and sees BA holding on for dear life. < Poor BA. Still can’t get used to flying. >

****

Cheshire rubs his neck as he reaches for his communicator. "Birkhoff, this is Cheshire. Put me through to Operations." Birkhoff quickly puts him through to Operations.

Operations quickly picks up the communicator in his office and demands. "Did you find them?"

Cheshire nervously looks around himself. "No Sir. It’s like they disappeared off the face of the Earth. We found their hideout, but they were already gone."

Operations looks at the wall and slowly counts to ten. He then orders. "Check every airport and train station. Have your units keep and eye on the main roads leading out of Yuma. Check everything that’s going to California. Especially Los Angeles and the surrounding suburbs. The A-Team will try to bury themselves in their home territory."

"Understood Sir. Anything else?"

"Just don’t fail me." Operations rasps out and cuts off.

Cheshire looks at his shaking hand and suddenly feels like someone had started to dig his grave. < Damn it! Why me? A few more months and I would have retired to the office. Now I’m a dead man. Damn it! >

*****

Buffy, Steve and the rest of their friends walk into the hanger that houses the Sunnydale branch of Iverson Air. The operations manager, seeing the grim set of their features, quickly walks over. "Mr. St. Wolf, sir. I’ve prepared everything as per your orders. Do you need anything else?"

"Leave the facility when the plane comes in. None of you need to be around when the package arrives."

The ops manager salutes and leaves the area, quickly followed by his crew. Mulder quietly whistles in appreciation. "I take it that they’ve worked with you before?"

Steve gives him an evil grin. "The grape vine at Iverson Air has some ‘very’ interesting stories about me. Most of the people here tend to believe them."

Mulder just shakes his head in awe. Scully chuckles evilly. "Fox, honey. Don’t forget about YOUR reputation in the Bureau. How many Agents and Assistant Directors have you scared with it?"

Mulder begins to protest, but Steve cuts him off. "Face it Mulder, you’ll never win an argument with Dana."

Mulder turns to face Steve. "I don’t exactly see *you* arguing with Buffy."

"That’s because I know better." Steve replies with a grin.

"Don’t play that game honey." Buffy tells Steve with a wicked smile. "I know it and you know it. You hate to sleep alone."

"Which you will be doing in the near future." Scully tells a flabbergasted Mulder. "If you don’t watch it."

"But Dana, honey, can’t I have at least one shred of my manhood?" Mulder whines out with a grin.

Dana grins back, evilly. "Of course not."

Merlin just shakes his head and mutters to Steve. "I don’t know how you stand it. If I had to work with this bunch for any length of time, I’d go nuts."

"I have a very good reason to work with them." Steve replies as he watches Dana and Buffy harass Mulder. "Besides, it’s kinda fun watching Mulder get it."

"He does tend to put his foot in his mouth." Horace replies with a grin.

"Better him than us." Giles replies with a grin.

"Yep." Steve replies as the rest of his group walks in. Xander and Cordelia were already at it and Oz, Willow and Amy were grinning at their antics. The show immediately breaks up as Connors re-enters the hanger and reports. "The plane has landed and it’ll taxi here in about three minutes. Do you need anything else?"

"Make sure that we have that plane ready for Chad." Steve replies. "When Duncan and his group gets here, we’ll leave."

A faint "Will do." is heard from Connors as he walks out of the hanger. Everybody watches as the hanger doors open up and the Lear jet rolls in. The pilots park it in the middle and quickly exit the plane, exchanging greetings with Steve as they leave.

Buffy turns to Steve. "I take it they also know about your rep?"

Steve gives her his devil may care grin. "Of course they do."

*****

The A-Team watches as the pilots quickly park the plane and shut her down. Hannibal and the rest of his team grin as the pilots tell them. "We’ll be leaving now, Colonel." The pilot gives the two Sword of Allah assassins a look of pity and quickly leaves.

The two assassins look out the window and see a small group of people waiting for them. Both take a deep gulp and the loud one asks. "Is that devil out there?"

Hannibal leans over, looks out the window and grins. "Sure is." And then he grabs up the loud mouth and leads him from the plane.

As Hannibal deplanes, Steve turns back to Jenny, Willow and Amy. "Begin setting up your stuff."

"Give us about ten minutes and we’ll be ready for them." Jenny replies as she begins to draw a circle on the ground.

"Very good. We’ll keep our guests ‘entertained’." Steve replies with an evil grin as the A-Team approaches him with the assassins. Steve turns and faces the pair. They cringe back under his glare.

Hannibal looks around and sees Merlin, Horace Gordon and the Knights. "Who are the new guys, Steve?"

Steve, still glaring at the assassins, introduces his guests. "My apologizes Hannibal. The bearded gentleman next to me is my boss, Merlin." The A-Team nod their heads in respect. "The rather large man in the black armor is Marc Le Chevalier, the Knight General of the Order of the Grail and six of his Knights." Hannibal extends his hand and Marc takes it. "The other gentleman is Horace Gordon. He’s in charge of another agency similar to ours."

Horace extends his hand and Hannibal takes it. "Your reputation precedes you Colonel Smith. When this is over, maybe we can talk about you working for us, once in a while?"

Hannibal grins. "If Steve vouches for you, then we can talk."

"Good. I can always use good men. There are never enough to go around." Horace replies with respect. Then he turns to the two assassins. "I hope you enjoy your last hours of freedom."

"We fear nothing, infidel." Loud mouth yells out at Gordon.

Gordon gives him a merciless grin. "You’re fools then."

"We fear no torture that you weak willed American pigs can devise." Loud mouth snidely replies.

Horace looks over to where Jenny, Willow and Amy were setting up and grins. "I won’t worry about torture. The ladies are going to make you talk."

Loud mouth looks around him and grins. "These whores are only fit to accept the seeds of dogs such as yourselves. Our seed would purify them and make them true women."

Cordelia quickly snaps out a fist and slams Loud mouth’s head back. He shakes his head and glares at the girl. "Bitch! You wouldn’t do that if I wasn’t tied up."

Cordelia looks back to Steve, who tells her. "I want him alive and able to answer questions. Anything else is fair game."

Cordelia grins and nods to Gabrielle, who cuts the assassin’s bonds with a knife. The loud mouthed assassin, suddenly wonders why everyone was watching him. The assassin glares over to Steve and rasps out. "You let women do your fighting for you? Infidel pig. Watch as I teach this whore a lesson in humility." He carefully moves forward and suddenly throws a punch at Cordelia’s face. Cordelia sidesteps and his fist goes over her shoulder. She quickly steps in and lands several devastating punches into his stomach and upper groin. The loud mouthed assassin grunts and falls back. Cordelia watches him go and waits for him to recover. He glares at her and thinking that her hesitancy was weakness, the loud mouthed assassin charges and suddenly finds himself on the floor.

"What happened?" He croaks out in pain from the floor.

"The woman beat you down." The other assassin tells him.

"That is not possible."

"It is, when you fight an Amazon." Gabrielle tells the pair in pure Arabic.

They both look at her and the quiet assassin mutters. "That is impossible. The Amazons race died out over two thousand years ago. Their last queen, Gabrielle, disbanded the tribe herself." He then stares at Gabrielle and suddenly remembers several images he had seen at an archeological dig several years before. "You can’t be her. That would make you over two thousand years old."

"Yousef. What are you talking about?" The loud mouthed assassin demands.

Yousef continues to watch Gabrielle as he stands there shaking. "She’s the last queen of the Amazons. I don’t know how, but she’s still alive."

"Fool. You’ve been tricked by these infidels. She’s no queen and I’ll prove it to you." The loud mouthed assassin screams and attacks Gabrielle. Before he can land the first punch, Gabrielle has managed to kick him four times in the face and chest. He falls back down and doesn’t even try to get up.

"I hope you didn’t damage him too badly." Steve replies. "We still need him to talk."

"We’ll never talk. No matter what tortures you try on us." Yousef replies with a fanatical gleam in his eye.

Torture is for barbarians." Steve replies with a grin.

"Then what are you going to do?" Yousef asks, suddenly scared.

"Only showing you your future, that’s all." Steve replies with a grin.

"That is impossible."

"Nothing is impossible, only difficult." Steve replies as he turns and asks. "Jenny are you ready?"

Jenny looks up from her work and cheerfully replies. "We are. Bring them on."

The two assassins are brought forward and tied down in a mystical circle. After they’re tied down, Jenny begins to cast a spell and both men watch as a demon appears inside the circle with them.

The demon looks down at the pair and opens it’s mouth, revealing three rows of razor sharp teeth. The assassins scream in fear as the demon looks them over and begins to move towards them. The assassins scream even louder as the demon licks their exposed skin. Jenny taps her staff on the floor and the demon looks back at her and asks in a high pitched voice. "For me?"

"Only if they lie or refuse to answer any of our questions." Jenny replies.

The demon turns back to the pair. "Please lie. Please lie."

The two assassins look on the demon in open horror, their voices horse from the earlier screaming. Yousef looks around him and demands. "What does the creature demand?"

"Its very simple, really." Steve replies. "We’re going to question you. If you lie or refuse to answer during that questioning, our little friend there will take a bite out of you."

"You are truly the demon that Corvo said you were." Yousef angrily replies.

"Too bad for you." Steve replies as he begins the questioning. "Where are the Armaris being held?"

"In an oil refinery north of the town of Ma’tan as Sarah in southern Libya." Yousef replies.

"How many men does he have?"

"Two hundred."

"Do you know the patrol patterns for the guards?"

"No. ARRRGGGGHHHH" Yousef screams out as the demon takes a bite out of him.

"Again. Do you know the patrol patterns?"

"I won’t tell you." Yousef replies as the demon bites down again. He screams louder this time.

"The guards patrol in three perimeters. Their schedules are changed daily by Corvo or his security chief." The loud mouthed assassin sings out as the demon looks down at him expectantly.

Steve almost laughs as the demon turns and gives him a disappointed look on its ugly face. "When is Corvo set to release the plague?"

"In 60 hours." The loud mouth replies quickly.

Steve looks over at Yousef and asks the same question. "Is the plague going to be released in less than 60 hours."

Yousef remains quiet and the demon begins to bite him. After the third bite, Yousef screams out. "YES! Corvo plans on releasing the plague in less than 36 hours." The demon finally stops biting and Yousef slumps in his bonds.

"How is he going to do it?" Demands Steve.

Yousef looks at the demons blood soaked mouth and shudders. "By infecting the stewardesses in various airports in Europe. Those whores will carry the plague world wide and destroy all of our enemies."

"One more question. Is there a cure?

"Only Corvo has it. He will give it to us when the time is right." Yousef tells Steve.

Steve just shakes his head in disgust. "Gods Above. How can you be so stupid?" The two assassins look at him in disbelief. "Corvo is planning on killing everyone. This bastard’s going to die." Steve swears. "I have enough Jenny, send our little friend away." Jenny nods and quickly utters an incantation and the demon disappears with a wail. Yousef and his companion look on in wonder as their flesh is healed back up. Steve looks down on them and grins. "People make up their own worst tortures." As the pair continue to stare dumbly at their limbs, Steve turns to Marc. "Marc have the Knights meet us near the Libyan border in Chad."

"It will be done." Marc replies as he pulls out his communicator and walks away giving his subordinates orders.

Steve then pulls out his cell phone and hits a speed dial button.

The phone rings twice and its quickly picked up by Captain John Randall, LAPD Major Cases Unit. "Randall here. This had better be important."

"Hello John. It’s Steve St. Wolf. Got a minute?"

****

John Randall’s face freezes and he lets out a calming breathe. < Oh God. It’s only been three weeks. Doesn’t this guy ever take a vacation? > "What’s going on Steve?"

"I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I have two men wanted by the Israelis in custody. I need you to turn them over to the proper authorities. Can you handle it?"

"Who are these two men?"

"They’re members of the terrorist group known as the Swords of Allah."

John takes a deep gulp and quietly asks. "What are they planning on doing that its gotten you involved?" /Please don’t let it be another demon./

Steve gives him a run down on what the Swords of Allah were planning on doing. He closes with. "I’m leaving to take care of the situation in Libya. I want these two processed and turned over to the Israelis. Is that a problem?"

/At least its not another demon. But it just as well could be./ I’ll have the Rangers at your place in two hours. Anything else?"

"Send the Rangers in tomorrow. I want these two kept under tight security until we hit their home base."

"You got it. And Steve, good luck and good hunting." John replies in a soft voice.

"Thanks, John. I’ll see you when we get back." Steve replies and hangs up.

John sits back in his chair and looks out the window and silently offers up. /Dear God. Let them succeed and stop this madness./

As John is looking out his window, Tracy Vetter walks in. "Are you ready for dinner John?" She looks at his slightly off color skin tone and asks. "Are you all right?"

"I just spoke with our friend Steve St. Wolf."

Tracy takes a deep gulp. "Is something up?"

"Yeah. But Steve’s taking care of it." John replies as he turns back to the window and makes a decision. < God, she’s beautiful. > "Tracy, in the past three weeks, I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff and I’ve come to a decision."

"I hope you’re not quitting?"

John continues to stare out the window. "No. But I’ve realized that I shouldn’t put things off and that I should tell you that I love you."

Tracy takes a step back. < He loves me? Oh God. Yes. >

John, misinterpreting, Tracy’s step back, hangs his head in shame. < Oh God. What have I done? Have I ruined our friendship as well? >

John’s thoughts are interrupted by Tracy asking. "Pardon me John, but is your lap taken?" John looks up and sees a smiling Tracy. He looks into her blue eyes as she maneuvers herself into his lap and wraps her good arm around his neck and pulls him in for a deep kiss. After she breaks the kiss, she asks. "What took you so long to tell me?"

"I was being a stubborn fool?" John prompts as he leans back in and kisses her again.

*****

Steve hangs up his phone and turns to his friends and orders. "Giles, you, Xander, Cordelia, Jenny, Amy and Oz will guard these two at my place. Cody and the Rangers will pick them up tomorrow."

"Not a problem Steve. I’m sure that Cordy won’t mind beating them senseless a few more times." Xander quips.

As the two terrorists are being tied up, Connors enters the room and reports. "The flight from Seattle is in. Your friends are already boarding the plane for Chad."

"Good, Buffy, Mulder, Scully, Gabrielle, Sonja." Steve calls out. "Our ride’s ready."

*****

"Is he available?" Horace Gordon asks his assistant, Dimitri.

"He says he is. Where do you want him?"

"Have him come here to my coordinates." Gordon orders. Before he finishes the sentence, a man appears next to him. The man wears dark brown clothing with an oversized hat, with only his icy blue eyes showing. He looks Gordon up and down and waits for Gordon to talk to him. Gordon turns to the man and asks. "J.P. I know this is short notice, but I would like you to go on this mission with these people."

"Not a problem. Just so long as I can kill something evil." J.P. replies, his lips barely moving, his voice a hollow rasp.

Gordon takes a deep gulp, then asks politely. "Do you have any questions?"

"Who are they?"

"The people you’ll be working with are from a group called Section Seven. They’re a lot like the Bureau."

"Not them. Couldn’t care less about them. Who am I going to kill?"

Horace shudders. "A terrorist group called the Swords of Allah."

"Why am I doing it?"

"They are planning on releasing an engineered disease that’ll wipe out most of humanity. They have to be stopped at any cost."

"Good." J.P. mutters and walks over to Sonja and Gabrielle. "Still hanging around together I see."

Both women stare back at the man who has walked up to them without their noticing his presence. "What the hell are you doing here?" Sonja asks with a trace of fear in her voice. Gabrielle just stares, too afraid to say anything.

J.P. shoots a thumb back at Gordon. "I work for him and his Bureau. Nice to see the two of you still doing some good in the world."

Steve, noticing the stranger, walks up behind him and asks. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

J.P. turns and glares at Steve. Steve glares back and doesn’t back down. Horace Gordon watches the staring match in amazement. /Damn. Steve’s not scared of J.P. and J.P. knows it. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss./

"I work for Gordon. He called and I came. He wants me to help you on this mission." J.P. replies, a small smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. /Punk has balls. This could be fun./

Steve turns to Gordon. "Mr. Gordon. I don’t want one of your Agents on this mission. If he becomes exposed to the disease, he could die."

"J.P.’s an immortal." Gordon replies. Steve raises his left eyebrow in disbelief.

"It’s true Steve." Sonja replies, with a hint of fear in her voice. "I’ve known this ‘man’ for close to nine thousand years. He’ll stand by us. He never could refuse a good fight."

Steve sighs and relents. "Ah well, the more the merrier." And he picks up his bag and heads to the door and the waiting plane. At the door, he turns around and glares at everyone. "Well, what are you people waiting for? An engraved invitation?"

J.P. grins and chuckles. "This mission looks like its going to be fun."

Horace Gordon looks on in horror and softly mutters. "Now we’re in deep shit. J.P. Withers has just cracked a joke." He turns to Merlin. "Do you think that the world is going to end?"

Merlin grins. "Not if that bunch has any say in the matter." He watches as the seven Immortals board the waiting plane and leave.

*****

Steve walks out of the hanger towards the waiting plane. The pilot, standing near the hanger door, rushes over and matches his pace. Steve looks at the man, noticing the military haircut, the sharply creased clothing and military bearing and asks. "How long were you in the military?" The Captain snaps a salute, Steve returns it.

"Twenty years, Sir." Captain Craig Matthews replies, breaking the salute.

"You’re not in the military anymore Captain. Don’t salute. It could give the wrong people ideas."

"Understood Sir."

"What’s our itinerary?"

"Sir, our trip should take approximately six hours at Mach 1.7. We should reach the target area by 8:00 am local time."

"Are the chutes here?"

"Yes Sir. We have twenty chutes ready for you and your people. May I ask what the mission is?"

"No you may not Captain." Steve replies as he approaches the plane and feels the ‘Buzz’ of multiple Immortals. He grins and climbs aboard. He looks around and sees Duncan standing there with a grin. Steve reaches out and grabs him up in a hug. "It’s good to see your scrawny Scottish butt here Duncan."

"Couldn’t resist after all of the fun we had at your last party." The dark haired Scotsman replies with a grin. "Let me introduce you to Henry Stamos. He’s the man that you requested join us."

Steve reaches out and shakes Stamos’ hand. "I’m glad that you joined us Doctor Stamos. I’ve heard about your work in fighting the AIDS virus."

"The pleasure is all mine." Henry Stamos replies with a genuine smile. "When Duncan told me about your mission, I couldn’t refuse. My wife and adopted children are mortal and I don’t want them to die because of these monsters."

"We’ll stop them, Doctor. I can practically guarantee it."

"Practically?" Henry Stamos asks with a raised eyebrow.

"There are no guarantees in life Doctor." Steve replies with a grin. "We can only hope to stack the deck in our favor, the best that we can."

"How well did you stack this deck?" Stamos asks with a grin.

"A dozen aces, several hundred Jacks and six wild cards."

"A well stacked deck indeed." Stamos replies with a wide grin.

*****

Methos watches as Steve St. Wolf greets his old teacher and Henry Stamos. /Duncan did well in teaching this youngster./ He smiles as he sees Buffy, Sonja, Gabrielle, Mulder and Scully climb aboard. /Damn the gangs all here./ Methos grins to himself. He loses his grin as the last passenger boards. /Gods above. It can’t be him./ Methos gives the stranger a glare and watches as he turns around and faces him and his mouth splits into a grin. /Dear Gods preserve me. It is him. How the hell did Steve get him involved in this?/

*****

J.P. Withers watches the group get together on the plane and smiles to himself. /Looks like I won’t be too lonely in the coming years./ He thinks to himself as he watches the Immortal men and women meet. He looks over every face and grins to himself. /Even Death’s at this little party. Damn, but I’m glad that I didn’t kill him 2,500 years ago./ J.P. picks up his suitcase and walks down the aisle and stands in front of Justin and tells him. "Get out of the chair son. Me and your friend there have to talk."

Justin glares up at the man, but Methos’ hand on his shoulder stops his retort. "Justin, find another chair. Aderron and I need to talk."

"You know this guy?" Justin asks.

"We’re old friends." Justin looks back at Methos. "Very old friends." Justin nods his head and leaves, going to sit by Richie.

J.P. sits down and gives Methos a grin. "Glad to see you learned your lesson Methos."

"What are you doing here?" Methos demands.

J.P. lights up his cigarette by puffing on it. He takes it out and blows out a smoke ring. "Lending a hand. I work for your sister agency, Bureau 13."

"Sister agency. Who the hell do you think I work for?"

J.P. grins. "Section Seven of course. My boss Horace Gordon confirmed that." J.P. point to St. Wolf. "That guy was running the show in Section Seven and his boss, Merlin also confirmed it."

"Damnit! What the hell have those boy and girl scouts done now?" Methos mutters as the shock sinks in.

J.P. chuckles evilly. "So, you got dragged into this little mission by your friends?"

"No." Methos replies as he holds his aching head. "I actually volunteered for it. I definitely have to get away from these people."

"Why Methos, I do believe that you have actually gained a sense of responsibility. Hell must have truly frozen over." J.P. replies with a low chuckle.

"Don’t give me that sanctimonious crap old man. I don’t want to hear it."

"Good, then you won’t." J.P. replies quietly as he leans back and waits for the plane to take off. Methos looks at the ancient immortal and shudders. /I don’t believe that he’s actually here. What could we be facing that would require the help of this ancient demon hunter?/

=30=

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Steve Pantovich.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.