Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,174
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,320

Duty Bound

Summary:

Great Escape slash -- more Roger/Mac, sequel to "Something to Look Forward To"

Work Text:

Unfortunately, the third time wasn't the charm. Neither was the fourth, fifth, or sixth and Roger was back in another stinking German prison camp. He heard from a couple other prisoners that Mac was involved in a few more escape attempts but recaptured each time.

Again, Roger channeled all of his energy into escape. He needed to get out. He needed to create hell for the Germans. That was his purpose in the war and he was damn good at it.

Roger's drive, amazing sense of purpose, and talent for mayhem brought him to the attention of the senior British officer in camp, Group Captain Rupert Ramsey. Ramsey proposed to further organize the varied escape attempts, to pool resources, and achieve better chances of success for everyone. He named the group, the X Organization, and put Roger in charge, making Roger "Big X".

"The commandant informed me that fifteen new prisoners will be arriving today," Ramsey told Roger late one morning.

The two of them were taking a walk around the compound. Roger glanced up at the guard staring down at them from the nearest tower. He touched Ramsey's elbow and they changed directions, moving back into the cluster of buildings. He clasped his hands behind his back. "Anyone that we can use?"

"Most of them are new prisoners so we'll have to see what they can do." Ramsey paused. "I remember you telling me about a Lieutenant MacDonald."

Roger kept his voice neutral. "Yes."

"Sandy MacDonald?"

"That's the one."

Ramsey stopped and faced Roger. "He's one of the fifteen," he said in a nonchalant manner and watched Roger's reaction closely.

That news lifted Roger's spirits higher than they'd been since he last saw Mac. However, Roger's mouth only twitched, that being the closest he let himself get to a smile. It would not do to show too much emotion. "He would be a great asset to the organization as an intelligence officer."

Ramsey nodded. "I thought you would say so. There's just one thing."

Ramsey let his statement hang in the air until Roger prompted him. "And what's that, Sir?"

Ramsey started walking again. "He'll be in the infirmary."

Roger froze for a moment before falling into step beside Ramsey. "What?"

"After his last capture, he had the misfortune of being a guest of the Gestapo. Apparently, they wanted some information from him that he was not willing to give. I gather from the commandant that they gave him quite a going over."

Roger's hand curled into a fist and he hit his thigh. "Damn them," he growled venomously.

Ramsey's demeanor remained calm and collected. "I arranged for you to volunteer in the infirmary, mopping up and doing other such chores."

Roger wanted to see Mac but he had a responsibility supervising current escape operations. They were almost done with the tunnel and had most of their clothes and fake documents already prepared. He had to keep his focus on the job. "Is that such a good idea, Sir?"

"I think it's a splendid idea," Ramsey answered easily. "It would only be a couple times a week until we go. There's no telling what kind of information you could pick up there."

That may have been true, bur Roger had to wonder if Ramsey had any suspicions that he cared for Mac as more than just a friend. He knew that he'd spoken of Mac to Ramsey, but he was careful not to say anything out of line. "That may be --" he began.

Ramsey cut him off. "Good. I'm glad that we're in agreement. Report to the infirmary at 1400."

"Yes, Sir."

Roger usually participated in what Ramsey called the initial going over of any new personal. It was an informal interview, designed to see what kind of men the organization was dealing with and where their talents might lay. This time, he reported to the infirmary as ordered.

Roger stood at attention in front of the doctor's desk. The doctor wore a white coat over his uniform and he had his head down, pouring over a file. Roger cleared his throat. "Herr, Doktor."

Said doctor was Captain Gerhard Klein. He was a disheveled man in his late forties, the exact opposite of almost every clean-cut, tidy German officer Roger had met. He wore wire rimmed spectacles and had dark blonde hair going gray at the temples.

Klein stood and Roger could see that he wore a minimum of insignia on his uniform. "Please, use English. I need the practice," he said with a better accent than many other Germans in the camp. "I am Dr. Klein. You are Bartlett."

"Yes."

Klein pulled a cigarette case from his pocket and removed one. He offered to Roger. "I require a man to clean up and run such errands for me as are required."

Roger took a cigarette. "Thank you."

Klein lit his and then Roger's with his silver cigarette lighter. "The commandant has warned me about you, that you are not to be trusted."

Roger inhaled and exhaled smoke through his nose. "Should any prisoners really be trusted?"

Klein took a drag of his own cigarette. "No. You have as much a duty to escape as we have to keep you here. From what I have heard, you have been very active in making us hunt for you."

Roger wasn't going to bother denying that. They both knew he would be lying. He smirked. "I've done my utmost to make myself the biggest pain in Hitler's backside." He didn't know what possessed him to say that last bit because he was usually more circumspect than that. He couldn't see Mac or do anything else if he was serving time in the cooler.

Klein snorted but in an amused, surprised way. "You would do well not to say such things in public." He stabbed his cigarette out in the tray on his desk. "Come. I will put you to work before your mouth can get you into more trouble."

Roger mopped the floor in the ward. There were twenty-five cots lining both sides of the room. They were all empty except for one.

Mac lay in the one closest to the door. His face was bruised and one arm was strapped across his chest to keep it immobile. He slept deeply and hardly moved, the result of exhaustion and pain killers.

Klein was talking to the commandant in his office and the nurse just left the room. Roger propped the mop against the wall. Then he crouched at Mac's side and touched Mac's good hand. He didn't want to imagine the injuries that he couldn't see. "Mac," he whispered. "It's Roger."

Roger wished Mac would wake up and answer him. He held Mac's hand and kissed the palm. He heard Klein's voice in the hall and hurried back to what he was doing.

Roger didn't get back to the infirmary for three days. He was anxious for Mac but put those personal considerations aside. The prisoners were almost ready for the next break-out and he had to recheck everything to make sure they were as prepared as possible.

The next time Roger saw him, Mac was awake. Klein was in the room with them so neither said anything. "Feeling better, Lieutenant?" Klein asked.

"I don't think I'm up for running a marathon but I don't feel like I've just been run over by a truck either," Mac offered wryly.

Klein chuckled. "That is progress. The deep bruises on your chest and legs and your broken ribs are healing well and your shoulder is progressing as well as can be expected. At least the Gestapo bothered to remove the bullet before sending you to me."

Roger stiffened. Mac had been shot. Something else the Gestapo had to pay for.

"You are fortunate there has been no infection," Klein continued.

Mac may have been far from one hundred percent but his lively spirit was still very much intact. He briefly made eye contact with Roger over Klein's shoulder. "Aye. Just lucky I guess."

"Let us hope that your luck holds. We shall leave you to rest." With that Klein turned to walk away and Roger had no choice but to follow.

Even though he didn't get to talk to Mac, Roger felt better in that Mac was improving. He said as much to Ramsey when he reported to Ramsey's room after Klein let him go. "Mac's injuries were worse than I thought. He was shot in the shoulder along with everything else, but the doctor said he's coming along fine."

Ramsey poured some hot water to make tea. "That is good to hear."

Roger sat across the table from Ramsey. "But I'm afraid I haven't got much else to report."

Ramsey filled Roger's cup. "Well, I do."

Roger curled his fingers around to cup, the warmth in his fingers a small comfort. "What's that, Sir?"

"Danny says they'll be done tonight."

Roger looked up sharply. "Two days ahead of schedule."

"The boys have been working like mad men day and night. We could conceivably go tomorrow night."

Roger was silent. He knew that they should move as soon as possible. The longer they stayed, the more chance that the Germans would discover what they were doing, but his thoughts turned to Mac. How could he go without a word?

Ramsey read Roger's mind. "You know that he'd understand."

"Who?" Roger almost squeaked.

Ramsey smiled knowingly. "MacDonald. You care for him very much, don't you?"

Roger bit his lip. He didn't want to admit to anything that would land him and Mac into deeper trouble than they already were. But there was nothing hostile in Ramsey's manner or voice. Could he trust his superior with this secret? Wouldn't it be Ramsey's duty to expose and punish him?

Ramsey leaned back in his seat. "It's okay, Roger. You don't have to answer. I can see it in your face."

Roger stared down at his tea. "Am I that transparent?"

Ramsey shook his head. "No. Rather, I recognized the look."

Roger still didn't hear any hostility. He chanced to looked up at Ramsey. "The look?"

"Yes, I've seen it before but most people don't notice it." Ramsey took a sip of his tea. "I know one of your secrets, Roger. Perhaps, it's a fair trade-off for you to know one of mine." He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. "My brother, Ethan, was of your ilk."

Roger heard stories of Ramsey's heroic younger brother, who was a fighter pilot. Ethan flew escort duty for heavy bombers and died when his plane was shot down over France. "Really?"

Ramsey's smile was tinged with sadness and regret. "Yes. Only I and his best friend knew. And when I saw them together, I knew that it couldn't possibly be wrong." He held Roger's gaze with a quiet, intense one of his own. "Your secret's safe with me."

Roger sighed in relief. "Thank you, Sir."

Roger knew that Mac would understand, but Roger just couldn't do it. He couldn't just leave without giving Mac a warning. Danny's prediction was correct and the tunnel was finished late that night and Roger snuck into the infirmary to see Mac.

Roger crept past two bored guards, who were busy chatting amongst themselves. He let himself into the ward and silently walked over to Mac's cot. He put a hand over Mac's mouth and whispered urgently into Mac's ear. "Mac."

Mac woke with a start but immediately calmed when he saw Roger's face so close to him in the dim light. He nodded slightly and Roger's hand dropped to cover Mac's free one. "Roger, what are you doing here?"

"I came to tell you that we're breaking out tomorrow."

"How many attempts is this then?"

Roger rubbed Mac's fingers. "Seventh."

Mac gently squeezed Roger's hand. "Let's hope that's the charm."

"I'm sorry. I--"

"Don't," Mac interrupted. "You should go while you have the chance. We both know that and there's no use feeling any guilt about it."

Roger took a deep breath and nodded. "I know that as soon as you're back on your feet, you'll be scheming to be out, too. Don't forget our date."

Mac laughed quietly but winced at the pain in his chest. He hissed and squeezed his eyes shut. "I haven't forgotten. It's just been postponed." He opened his eyes again. "Now, get out of here before you're caught."

Roger brought Mac's palm to his lips. "Wish me luck."

Mac briefly ran his fingers along Roger's cheek. "Good luck. Now, out."

Roger successfully snuck out and back to his cabin. Ramsey was still up and beckoned him to his room. "In here, Roger." He shut the door behind them. "That was a foolish risk."

Roger shrugged but met Ramsey's eyes. "I know but I couldn't leave without a word."

Ramsey rubbed his chin thoughtfully and then patted Roger's shoulder. "I know. No harm done. Now we should both get some sleep. We're going to have a busy day ahead of us."