Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-10-30
Words:
7,240
Chapters:
7/7
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
3,236

Kaleyn Magera

Summary:

Kaleyn is a low-level telepath (empath) who does business mediation. Oh, set in the year 2043, too.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: One

Chapter Text

Title: Kaleyn Magera
Author: Bekah
Fandom: Kind of Charmed, Kind of Babylon 5
Characters: Kaleyn Magera (mine), Barbas (canon)
Status: First Draft
Archive: Yes, please
Feedback: Yes, please
E-Mail: wa_bekah@yahoo.com
Series/Sequel: None at this time, but possibilities exsist
Other Websites: None
Disclaimers: Canon chars belong to Aaron Spelling (or whoever owns Charmed). Basic telepath future-history partly borrowed from J. Michael Straczynski.
Notes: First draft, first attempt at creating a Universe.
***
I stood before my altar, feeling the peace as my frusterations seeped away and joined the smoke curling up toward the ceiling.
After grounding and centering myself back in the moment, I opened my eyes.
"I release you with my thanks," I murmured as I blew out the candles. I closed the cupboard doors and clicked the padlock in place.
Looking at the clock, I realized I had to catch the next bus to get to the negotiation I was overlooking. As a fairly low-rated telepath, more rightly called an empath, I was usually relegated to business negotiations. Tedious work, to be sure, but it kept food on the table and my operating license paid.
I checked myself in the mirror to make certain no one could easily see the small Greek letter tatooed on the back of my neck. All telepaths of working ability went through the training and were licensed, even if they never did anything directly with thier abilities. At least, with the newest set of Regulations, telepaths couldn't be denied regular work because of their rating. Still, there were reports of hate crimes, businesses being torched because they employed 'teeps', as the rest of the population referred to us.
As I got on the bus, I thought about the training programs. They were hard, mostly because I had never been away from my family before. The first few days were spent in basic seculusion, to see how far I could reach with telepathy. When it was determined I was more of an empath, a 'reciever', they put me in business and legal transaction training. There, I was taught how to tell lies from the truth, how to block background noise made by a crowded room and how to dig through basic blocks, whic, surprisingly, most people without Meta Sensory Perception have.
The Meta Sensory Authority got most of its funding and backing from the Catholic Church, so it was expected that all telepaths licensed with MSA become active Catholics. The rare child found with MSP was schooled through the Church. The Church doesn't approve of other religions, but allows the practice of Judiasm, Muslim and most other monotheistic religions. My family, however, has been practitioners of the Old Ways since my maternal grandmother found her path. I was told that my talent is a gift from the gods and not to abandon them. Grandmother Arika told me stories of others of our faith who had to go underground to avoid persecution and to keep the Old Ways alive.
I arrived at my stop and looked up at the building. It had been built in the late 2000's, when they still used steel and concrete. I kept this in mind as I entered the building.
I pushed open the plasti-glass doors and was hit by a wall of sound, both physical and emotional. Cursing myself, I snapped up my guards. Reminiscing usually distracted me.
Walking up to the desk, I placed my ID and MSA license on the top and announced myself.
"Kaleyn Magera, MSA. I'm supposed to meet Timothy Sen and Andrew Jaleni for business mediation. Could you tell me if they have arrived?" I brushed my long dark blond hair behind my right ear as I spoke.
"They are on Floor 5, waiting for your arrival," the middle-aged man handed back my ID and license without taking his cold grey eyes off the screen in front of him. Judgin my his apparent age, he must have been in his early 20's when the first of the MSA Regulations went through.
I mentally shrugged as I walked to the bank of elevators. In the 30 years since the building had been built, many changes had taken place. 20 years ago, the MSA was created. It had been t years since the telepaths had been 'discovered', and at first we had been feared and horribly mistreated. The only group who treated the early telepaths with any sense of decency were the Indians. They had believed that we were the signal that our species was evolving. The world teetered on the edge of a third world war in 2018, when it was discovered that India was allowing telepaths in without any regulations. Also adding to the tension was the discovery of many 'camps' where telepaths were, at best, mistreated. At worst, there were experiments performed to see how exactly telepathy worked. Many historians spoke against it, calling it a 'New Holocaust', yet most people stopped at words. It wasn't until India took a stance and said they would let as many telepaths in their borders as possible, and when inside, no one else could touch them that many of the other nations stood aside India or against it.
After the creation of the MSA in 2022, most of the blatant horrors had stopped. Even now, in 2043, there are occasional reports of telepaths being beaten to a nearly unrecognizable point. Luckily, no one I had trained with had been beaten.