Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
837
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,406

Subterfuge

Summary:

Flash is on a hunt for J’onn J’onzz’s Oreos. But Batman keeps getting in his way. What’s a speedster to do? What he does second-best, of course: annoy the Bat!

Work Text:

Subterfuge

Peering nervously around the edge of the door into the Watchtower's monitoring station, Flash pointedly ignored Batman's glare. Batman was the only person he knew - aside from his Uncle Barry - that could make his displeasure felt from across a room. Uncle Barry had only ever done it when he'd tried to sneak cookies as a kid. Batman did it whenever Flash breathed wrong. The aforementioned Dark Knight literally stalked across the hallway from the cafeteria (not that Batman ever got hungry, of course not)."What are you doing?" he growled, once he was close enough to do so under his breath with Flash still able to hear him Once again pointedly ignoring how the un-superpowered superhero was looming over him - and trying (and failing) to intimidate him - Flash said, "I'm trying to figure out where J'onn J'onzz hid the Oreos." He stroked a hand over his chin in a gesture of mock-thoughtfulness and eyed the aforementioned Martian with his best expression of inscrutability. Batman was so surprised by this answer that he actually twitched. On anyone else it would have been confused blink. Flash felt completely secure in his smugness at bending Batman's brain, if not outright breaking it. No one got Bats to show actual expression like Flash did. Unless what Hawkgirl had told him about Diana was true... Not going there. "By spying on him?" Batman demanded, obviously choosing to forgo questioning Flash's sanity - for once - in favor of simply...questioning his methods. He'd helped save the world a handful of times, and Batman still treated him like a kid. There was no justice in the League. "His hiding places match his moods." Flash shrugged the inquiry off and kept his eyes on the Martian currently absorbed in the screen in front of him. He had to keep up a running mental commentary of 'perfectly ordinary thoughts, nothing to eavesdrop on here, move along' to make sure J'onn J'onzz didn't know he was being spied upon, but that was surprisingly easy thanks to being faster than sound, faster than light, faster than...pretty much everything and everyone else around him. It was said that genius was the ability to be able to hold two opposing thoughts in your mind at the same time. Flash was able to keep three different trains of thoughts running, in completely opposite directions, all while holding a coherent verbal conversation. He so ruled. "Wouldn't it be easier to gauge the Manhunter's mood by actually talking to him?" Bruce glowered down at him, blue eyes narrowed behind his cowl. The glower and accompanying anger were covering his confusion, Flash knew. And Batman had actually asked an unnecessary and personal question. Batman normally would have just stalked off once it was obvious that Flash wasn't up to any malevolent mischief. And Batman did not do personal - unless what Hawkgirl had told him about Diana was true... He so was not going there. "If I talk to him then he'll figure out that I'm looking for the Oreos," Flash said, putting just enough exasperation in his tone to imply the, 'Duh!' but not enough to make Batman try to hurt him. Much. "He can read your mind when you're on Earth, Flash," Batman pointed out. "You're only nineteen yards away from him now." Bats was getting testy. Time for the grand finale, Flash decided. "Yeah, but right now he's too busy watching Passions to notice anything short of an alien invasion," he said with blithe innocence. Oh. My. Unidentifiable Deity. Batman actually looked...kerfuffled. Before he could move through bemused, confused and into perplexed, the Dark Knight glared at him, whirled on his booted heel and stalked off. Well. Chaos, confusion, disorder. Flash's work here was done. Now, to go and snatch the Oreos from their real hiding place. J'onn J'onzz was completely absorbed in his television show, which meant that someone else was monitoring the Watchtower from the secondary station - and Flash knew just who the Martian switched monitor duty with on a regular basis. Whistling softly under his breath to keep J'onn J'onzz from reading his mind - the Martian couldn't stand show tunes for some reason, which was why he'd started singing them in the shower (he so did not need an audience, however physically absent, when he jerked off) - Flash headed at a sedate pace - for a speedster, at any rate - towards the Green Lantern's room. Flash's favorite pastime was Bat-baiting, and the rest of the Justice League was under the impression that just the thought of what the ring-powered former Marine might do to him was enough to keep him out of his room? Shyeah, right.