Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
236
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,005

Five Words

Summary:

Five words can change everything

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Five Words
by kyrdwyn
**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**~~~**

 

Five words. That's all it took to shatter years of trust. Shatter a friendship.

Hell, how many times had I said them over the past four years? How many times had others said them? We didn't mean anything by them, except the truth.

This last time, though, they hadn't been the truth.

Staring out of the balcony windows of the loft, I silently thanked God that no one else had been around to hear the lie of those five words. No one else had seen the shock, betrayal, and hurt that had crossed his face. Emotions he'd hidden when others were around. But the words echoed between us. Something only the two of us could hear.

He left work before I did. He was gone when I got home. A note said he needed time to process. Simon called an hour later to tell me Blair had taken a leave of absence. Simon was livid, but I couldn't tell him what happened. I was too ashamed.

Blair had given up everything for me. His dream of getting his Ph.D., his teaching career, hell, even his life once. How do I repay him for that kind of friendship?

Not with those five words.

I leaned my forehead against the cool glass. Softly I whispered five other words; ones I hoped would bring my friend, my Guide, back.

"You -are- a cop, Sandburg."
=====

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Kyrdwyn.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.