Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
749
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
724

THANK YOU

Summary:

Jack and Daniel reminisce, and make two new friends.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Category: Future-fic (long after the series ... probably around 2027 or so)
Spoilers: None really, except maybe the entire series!
Disclaimer: I don't own anything related to "Stargate" - MGM and a bunch of other suits do. It's a shame really. The things I could do with the boys! All original characters and the story idea are mine.
Archive: If you want it, sure thing. Just let me know where it's going.
Summary: An incident on a plane inspired this. I was traveling to Chicago on business and saw a soldier sitting alone in first class. Read this please, and I think you'll understand how I felt.
Author's Note: Many, many thanks to the awesome and talented Orrymain (Marcia) for the quick beta and suggestions. Girl, you rock!!!

 

As the two older gentlemen watched aircraft land and take off, the business at Colorado Springs Interdimensional Airport went on as usual. No one seemed to notice, nor care for that matter, that the men held hands and whispered to each other now and then.

Jack looked at his husband and smiled, almost apologetically. "Thank you for coming out here with me, Danny. I guess I miss flying more than I care to admit."

Daniel smiled. "It's always my pleasure to be with you, love. No thanks necessary."

After a moment or two of silence, Jack sighed. "Ah, Danny," Jack said, his voice weary. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"What's that?"

Jack motioned to the viewing windows with his free hand. "This. All of this."

Daniel raised his husband's hand to his lips and kissed it gently. "Yes, yes, it is, Jack. That it is."

Jack sighed again. "I'm tired, Danny, so tired."

"I know, Jack."

A solitary tear found its way down the time-weathered skin of the former military man. "Was it worth it?" Jack whispered.

"What do you mean?"

Jack turned to his soulmate and stared into eyes that were still as blue as the ocean. "Was it worth it, Danny? Everything we did, what we had to go through? The friends we lost? Was it really worth it?"

"Of course it was, love," Daniel responded. "You know that as well as I do."

Jack smiled, the tiny lines at his eyes crinkling in the way that still made Daniel's heart skip a beat. "I love you, Doctor Jackson."

"I love you, too, General O'Neill."

The lovers leaned in toward each other for a brief kiss. As their lips parted, Jack saw something out of the corner of his eye that made him turn. Two young soldiers, not much older than twenty or twenty-one, were walking down the corridor. He couldn't help but overhear their conversation.

"... psyched that I got assigned to the O'Neill Base on Tauri Four," one of the soldiers said. "I hear that Master Teal'c is still there teaching reconnaissance."

"Man, what an iced gig," his friend responded. "But you deserve it, Evan, no doubt about it."

"I wouldn't go that far."

"Are you kidding me?" Evan's friend responded. "If it weren't for you, none of us would've made it off that satellite and you know it. Don't be so modest, man!"

Evan shrugged. "Just doing my job, man."

As the soldiers started to pass by, Jack gently touched Evan on the shoulder. "Excuse me, young man."

The soldiers stopped. "Yes sir?" Evan asked.

Jack took each of their hands in his own, and squeezed gently. "I just wanted to say thank you."

Both soldiers smiled and squeezed Jack's hand back. "You're welcome, sir."

As the young men started to walk away, Daniel caressed his husband's cheek. "That was a nice thing you did, Jack."

A few feet away, Evan stopped. He whispered to his friend, "Matt, do you know who that was?"

Matt looked back at the gentlemen. "No. Should I?"

"That's General Jack O'Neill and Doctor Daniel Jackson!"

Matt's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah! I read a blip on them not too long ago. Had pictures. It's them alright."

Both young men turned toward Jack and Daniel. "General O'Neill?" they both asked in tandem.

Jack turned toward the voices, surprised to hear his name called. The soldiers quickly came to attention and saluted the General. Jack smiled and, as his eyes shone with pride, saluted them back.

"Carry on, men," he said, holding the salute.

"Yes sir!" As the young soldiers turned and went along their way, Daniel leaned in and kissed Jack once again.

"Yes, Jack. It was definitely worth it."

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Zadi.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.