Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,488
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,054

Conversation 3 : Chinese for Three

Summary:

Cont. of "Watering Hole"

Work Text:

Conversation 3: Chinese for Three
by S

Vanessa Mallard sat staring at the three strips of papers which she had removed from the fortune cookies. Looking up at her son and his guest, she asked, "Which would you choose: 'You will meet a tall, dark stranger.' Or 'You will receive a great deal of money.' Or this one?" Mrs. Mallard showed the third strip to the two men.

Ducky glanced over at Tim McGee whose eyes narrowed as he carefully read the small print of the message.

Clearing his throat, McGee commented, "Actually, I think I'd take the third."

Vanessa Mallard's lined face broke into a smile. "Very good, young man. Why would I want to meet a tall, dark stranger at my age? And I have enough money. I wouldn't want Donald to be tempted to bump me off as they say." The old woman glanced over at her son who rolled his eyes at her comment. "But having a good night's sleep is priceless so that is the one I will choose. I will let you two fight over the other two."

Mrs. Mallard rose to her feet. "I'm a bit tired tonight, dear so I think I will go to my room now. I'm sure you and Agent McNee will be able to clean up. It was so nice of you to stop by, Tom, and to bring the General Tso's Chicken. Donald always seems to insist I have something bland. He inherited his sensitive stomach from his father, poor man!"

"Goodnight, Mrs. Mallard. I hope you don't mind if I stop by again sometime?"

"Please do so. I like you. Jethro was wrong about you I'm glad to say, but then he frequently is." Mrs. Mallard grasped her fortune cookie message tightly in one hand and walked off, followed closely by the Corgis.

McGee waited for only a minute before asking, "Did Gibbs say something about me?"

Ducky sighed. "She's a little confused. Jethro stopped by here one night after the incident when I was kidnapped. Mother let him know that she wasn't pleased. She told him that he needed to hire agents who weren't gigolos or geeks. That is the word, isn't it?"

McGee nodded. "Guess that's how most people see me. I'm not sure Gibbs will ever trust me on the streets."

"Jethro did say you were trying," Ducky explained.

"Trying? I'm sick of that word!" McGee stood up. "I even get a tattoo to impress Abby and does it do any good?"

"Ah yes, dear boy, I've been meaning to ask you about that. As I recall, Abby said your mother accompanied you to get the "tat", but you just told me...."

"Sorry. It's true my parents died while I was at MIT. The woman who went with me that day was, well, she was my first...lover."

Ducky's eyes opened wide. "What?"

"I was a late bloomer in the sex department," Tim admitted. "This woman was a younger friend of my mother's and came to my graduation since she wanted me to have someone there who cared, besides Aunt Gwendolyn of course. I...I got maudlin that night thinking of... them. Anyway, I went back to her hotel with her. She was very kind and we... I slept with her. It was only that once, but we stayed friends. When I went to get the tat, she insisted on going with me. Frankly, I don't think she believed I would do it!" McGee smirked.

"And naturally you couldn't say that to Abby?"

"She already feels sorry for me, but I guess saying my mother went with me wasn't much better."

Ducky watched the young man carefully. "I know this past year has been difficult for you. It's never easy to step into a team situation as the newest person. If you'll remember Kate had her difficulties too and she was a trained Secret Service Agent. When I lost Gerald, I was bereft and angry. He was a fine assistant, but Mr. Palmer is beginning to grow on me. He handled himself quite well when I was kidnapped. I have learned to have patience with him and he has started to learn patience with me."

"Do you think Gibbs will ever learn to have patience with meâ€"that I'm not him and don't think I could ever be?" McGee clenched his hands together.

"I hope so. Gibbs doesn't have much patience for anyone, least of all himself. It's one of his greatest weaknesses. You see, I know he tolerates my idiosyncrasies because we are friends, but only barely. He is a good, caring man, but he lives by his own rules and you either adjust to his way or hang on the fringes. I've chosen to be there when he needs a friend, and I know that in return he would protect me, just as he did when those insane people took revenge on me and the justice system."

"Is that all?"

"Dear Boy, when you get to be my age, you accept that you can't control how people feel or how they act. You can only be responsible for yourself. I think you will be a fine agent. Work hard and learn as much as you can. If you try only to please Jethro as Tony seems to be so intent on doing then you'll never achieve your own potential. There is a world outside NCIS."

"I...Thanks. I think there's room for men like Gibbs and me in NCIS."

"Certainly and right now he's going to need all the support he can get. I...I can't deny that I'm worried. Ari is a formidable enemy. Jethro underestimated him twice and I...."

Just then the phone rang. Ducky went to answer it in the other room, returning a few moments later.

"That was Jethro. He called to apologize for not meeting me. I told him that you had delivered the message and then treated Mother and me to dinner."

"Did he say anything about what the Director wanted?" McGee asked eagerly.

"I believe that Mossad has been in contact with the Director. Naturally, they aren't too pleased about this development either. In fact, I think Ari is going to be at the top of many Most Wanted lists."

McGee nodded. He couldn't deny that. "Shall we do the dishes now?"

"Oh, there aren't many to do. You go along. It's still early. Why don't you call Abby and see if she's doing anything?"

"Maybe I will. I know she misses Kate a lot. She might need some company."

"Good idea. I think that after I put the plates in the dishwasher, I'll catch up on some of the articles that I've been meaning to
read. A medical examiner's work is never done!"

"Night, Ducky. See you tomorrow." McGee opened the door of the house and prepared to leave. "Thanks again. Please tell your mother good night for me."

"I will. I'll see you at headquarters."

Dr. Mallard carefully locked up behind the young man then walked into the kitchen. There were only a few dishes to do so he was soon able to put out the lights. Before climbing the stairs, he stopped by his mother's room.

"Is he gone, Donald?" the older woman asked sleepily.

"Yes, Mother."

"He seems a nice boy. I don't think he's a Greek at all."

"Geek, Mother."

"What difference does it make? He reminds me of Jethro many years ago before he developed that shell he wears with such care."

"Really? Jethro has always seemed so self-assured to me, even when I first knew him."

The woman wearily opened her eyes. "Donald, I know you love him, but surely you are not blind to how he has changed?"

"Mother, I'd prefer not to discuss this right now. The past weeks have been difficult for all of us. Jethro has to do what he feels is right. He wouldn't be the man he is otherwise."

"And so you'll step back once again, allowing him to go his own way?"

"As you say, I love him and right now, he needs to find Ari more than he needs to be with me. When this is over, I'll talk to him."

"Ah very well, it is your heart after all and not even a Mother can tell her son whom to love. Goodnight, dear."

"Goodnight, Mother. Sleep well."

"Don't worry, I have the slip from the fortune cookie under my pillow."

Ducky smiled and then climbed the stairs to where his medical journals waited.

THE END