Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-08-08
Words:
4,140
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,971

Come What May

Summary:

Andromeda is called to the planet Anova to help prevent civil war. when Harper and the queen meet the situation becomes much more complicated.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Author(s): Cee
Rating: R
Disclaimer: I do not own any recognizable characters from Andromeda, I just like to write about them. However, any original characters, belong to me. Please do not use them without my permission.
Pairing: Harper/OFC
Feedback: Love it, thrive on it. It's the only payment I receive for these.
Archiving: Only with the Author's permission
Summary: Andromeda is called to the planet Anova to help prevent cicl war. when Harper and the queen meet the situation becomes much more complicated.

This is my first attempt at Andromeda fanfiction, so please be kind. I would also like to mention that the love interest is an OFC, while some may differ with this, I have not chosen to put Mary sue in the warning as OFC does not automatically equal MS.

Come What May

Chapter 1

Nothing in the silver skyline of Anova's capitol city, Ardria, would indicate that the planet stood on the verge of civil war.

Queen Allena Torayen was staring out from the balcony of her official palace, achingly searching for the peace she had once known. Today as with so many others of late, her heart was heavy. At the young age of eighteen, she had just inherited the throne to a crumbling kingdom. Her people were starving and riots were becoming a daily occurrence. She was already at her wits end, but this morning's events had pushed her to desperation.

The day had started like any other. She met with the council and then went for a walk through Ardria's streets. As she and her royal guard turned the corner of a building, a single shot rang through the air filling it with the acrid smell of a charge blast.

Her bodyguards had thrown her to the ground immediately and formed a perimeter around her as chaos broke loose in the square.

The sniper continued to fire rounds into the crowd causing a panic.

The guards fired back, fanning out and moving from building to building in search of the assassin.

Even after she had been smuggled out of the area and back to the palace, the gunfire continued. It had taken only moments for the assassination attempt to turn into a full out street battle. The local people hadn't hesitated to join the fight with whatever weapons they could find.

The gentle hiss of her chamber doors opening stirred Allena from her memories. From the sound of the oncoming footsteps, she knew without looking who it was that disturbed her. She inhaled slowly and schooled her features into a solemn mask to greet her prime minister.

"Milady, the culprit of this morning's attack has been apprehended," the aging man reported as he made a small bow. His shoulder length silver hair fell past the ear it was tucked behind.

"Prime Minister Krales, have there been any indications as to the reason for the attack?" Allena asked quietly as she continued to stare blankly into the horizon. " Do you think they have anything to do with the faction that killed my parents?"

Lenin Krales eyed the young queen, assessing her for a moment before answering. "Milady, your parents were killed over seventeen years ago. It is unlikely that these criminals have anything to do with the monsters that killed your family. My
advice would be not to concern yourself with it. Every government has its malcontents. Most of your people are happier than they have ever been."

Allena turned from the windows; her proud stance evaporating into one of extreme fatigue. Of all the people she had grown up with, Lenen Krales was the only one she would allow to see her in such an informal state. He was the only one who had been there through her entire youth. Krales was the nearest thing she had to a father. "I wonder where it is you hear of these happy people, for all the reports that I receive say otherwise."

"Dear Child, you are new to the world of politics. The people are like children and often children do not like what is best for them. In a few weeks all of this silly business will be resolved." The prime minister crossed the room and laid a reassuring hand on the young woman's shoulder. "I myself felt overwhelmed when your parents died and left me to act as regent in your name."

"It is not fear of ruling that cause this anxiety. I have been groomed for the throne since I was able to walk." She shook Lenen's hands away. "These problems will not go away on their own. We must try to contact the rebel leaders. Perhaps a peace treaty can be..."

"Allena, these rebels are not as other people. They crave bloodshed and will not rest until they have seen the end of your line." Lenen stared out the window for a moment before beginning to pace. "Now that you are of age, you must marry. If an heir can be produced, it makes their arguments for reform irrelevant."

"I doubt that my marrying and having children is the answer. Besides whom would I wed? Such things do not happen overnight."

"There is a plan written in the Anovian charter for such times as these, but I..." Lenin stopped and turned from the queen, his face lined with worry.

She returned to the old man's side. "But what, Lenen?"

"But I do not think you would agree to it."

"Tell me at least. I will do whatever is best for my people."

"Well, in the event that a suitable husband cannot be found, the queen shall marry the highest ranking noble." He paused, letting the silence lend his next statement a dramatic effect. "In this instance, the highest ranking noble would be...myself."

Allena stared at him in shock. A heavy silence weighted between them. Slowly the shock on her face gave way to an incredulous smile. "Don't worry, Lenen, I think we have another option." Gently Allena pat his shoulder. "This morning I
received word that the ship Andromeda is nearing this system. Perhaps with the Andromeda's aid we can find a solution to all of this. That law is meant to be a final option. As of yet, we have not played all our cards."

For a moment the calm facade of Lenen's face shadowed. Then as quickly as the frown had appeared, it was once again concealed behind the enigmatic mask of his person. "But, Milady, it would be inappropriate to bring an outside party into this. It may only serve to further aggravate the rebels."

"On the contrary, I think a neutral party is exactly what we need." The young queen squared her shoulders and waited for the argument she knew would come.

"Your Majesty, I must protest..." Lenen began, before being cut off by a raised hand from Allena.

"I have already ordered it in council." Allena said as she looked defiantly into her prime minister's eyes. "I am queen now. I appreciate all that you have done for this kingdom," she paused and her _expression softened, "and all that you have done for me, but now I must be allowed to run this government as I see fit."

Lenen's eyes narrowed imperceptibly and the corner of his mouth twitched.

Allena could see the conflict within him. She knew that it had been difficult for him to give up his position as regent, after all he'd spent the last eighteen years as ruler of Anova. The fact that the planet was in a state of extreme unrest had no doubt added to his concerns. Even now he was still trying to protect her from the harsh realities of their world. "You have been a faithful servant and friend for many years, now you must allow someone to care for you."

With those words Lenen seemed to relax. "As always, My Queen, you have shown that you are as wise as you are beautiful. I will go prepare for Andromeda's arrival." After a quick bow Lenen turned and left the room.

Allena watched as the doors closed behind him. She had been worried about this confrontation. With everything else going on, she knew that she needed Prime Minister Krale's support. He was after all one of the most influential members of the court and his followers were fiercely loyal. Without him, her dynasty would crumple from the inside out.

***************

"Captain we are receiving a message from one of the nearby planets." The Andromeda's AI reported on one of the many screens that were located in Dylan's office.

Captain Dylan Hunt turned from the book he had been reading to look at the screen where Andromeda waited for his answer. After weighing the idea of taking the message on the bridge he sat his book down and straightened his shirt. "I'll take the message in Command." With that, Dylan stood and hurried to the bridge.

Even before he reached the command deck Dylan could hear Harper and Rhade bickering. Occasionally, Beka's voice would ring out over threatening various forms of bodily harm if they didn't stop.

"Whatever, Ûber, why don't you just go..?" Harper was cut off by Dylan

"Enough, Harper, Rommie on screen." Dylan ignored the two crew members who were currently starting daggers at each other and instead focused on the screen in front of him. A moment later, the image of a young woman with auburn hair, pinned up in an elaborate series of loops and coils, and wearing ornate blue robes appeared on the screen. From her dignified air, Dylan could tell that he was speaking with someone of great importance.

"Captain Hunt, I am Queen Allena Torayen of the planet Anova. I am contacting you under the most urgent of circumstances."

"Wow! What a hottie!" Harper whispered from where he stood gaping at the screen.

"Please, Queen Torayen, what are the circumstances?" Dylan asked before turning to give his crew member in annoyance. "Mr. Harper, is there something of importance you wish to address?" Harper snapped his half-open mouth shut, shaking his head.

The queen smiled slightly and nodded, her face revealing her relief at his willingness to hear her out. "Captain, my planet is on the brink of civil war. Assassins try daily for my life. I am afraid that without your help, our government will fall."

"I sympathize with your predicament but how can the Andromeda help?" Dylan asked, frowning slightly. He feared that her answer would be one asking him to use the Andromeda's weapons on the rebel factions. He didn't want to entangle himself in a civil war.

"I believe that is neutral territory could be found the rebels would be willing to meet and discuss terms to end all of this." The young woman paused and looked pleadingly at him. "Please, Captain, I understand your concern, but I assure you, my only wish is to avoid war."

Dylan smiled slightly in an attempt to comfort the young woman whose desperation was almost tangible. If as she said her only wish was to avoid war, then he was more than willing to aid her. But so many times, those who seemed innocent were more devious underneath. "Give me one hour to discuss this with my crew."

"Take your time, Captain." the queen nodded graciously, though her voice betrayed her impatience. "We will remain in contact." With that the screen went blank.

Dylan turned from the view screen slightly taken back by the abrupt end to the conversation. Still if the situation was as dire as the young queen had stressed, he wasn't surprised that she had forgone the niceties of conversation. Without further thought, he turned to address the crew. "Rommie, what can you tell me about Anovia?"

"It's one of the top agricultural planets in this sector, as well as being known for its high yield in precious metals. Despite many attempts, Anovia has never agreed to join the Commonwealth."

"Blah, blah, blah!" Harper interrupted. "Who cares if they have nice gardens and can produce perfect metal? Anovia's true claim to fame comes from being one of the best vacation spots in the known galaxy. Not to mention all the babes."

After a disgusted glance from Rhade and several other members of the crew, Harper shut up.

"I seriously doubt we'll have vacation time," Rhade commented, still looking at Harper as if he were a bug to be squashed.

"Enough, both of you. Do we know how trustworthy the Anovians are?" Dylan directed at Beka hoping to get the conversation back on track.

"The Anovians are usually a very peaceful people." Trance entered the bridge, not missing a beat as she crossed to where Dylan stood. "If the queen says she want peace, then I believe we can trust her."

Dylan looked intently at Trance for a moment. Over the past years, he had come to learn, sometimes the hard way, that when Trance recommended something, it was best to listen. "Trance, why do I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye?"

"Captain, you know I can't tell you that." She looked at Dylan with the candid yet urgent expression that she used so often. She stepped closer to Dylan as Harper and Rhade began to argue again. "All I can say is that this mission will change some of us forever." Her glance strayed to the arguing duo.

After weighing his options, Dylan looked up. If there was something that could possibly get Rhade and Harper to give it a rest that he was not going to turn it up. Besides it was rare for Trance to be so revealing, obviously she felt strongly about this. "Beka, set a course for Anova. Rommie, open a channel to the queen."

 

TBC