Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
7,405
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
26
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,776

Panther & Wolf

Summary:

Archive: Yes.
Fandom: The Sentinel
Pairing: Jim/Blair (slash)
Rating: FRT
Series: Panther & Wolf
Status: complete
Disclaimers: All things Sentinel belong to Pet Fly Productions and the Sci-Fi Channel. I do not mean to infringe, nor do I make any money from this.
Warnings: Read Preface, or this might not make too much sense.
This story is an AU arc. The characters are all from the Sentinel Canon Universe and they have the same jobs at Major Crimes and the technology level is still the same. What makes this world so different is that it assumes that many of our myths/legends/supernatural happenings as fact. These things are common, simply how life is.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

There are three races of humanity in this AU:

Shapeshifters
They are all born with an animal spirit guide and they take on the ability to physically transform into that animal shape during puberty. They then settle into a cycle of shifting that is subject to the 13 lunar months of the year and automatically shift for an adverage of 2 days. Of course, they also can shift at will, or can be frightened into shifting as a defense mechanisim. All shapeshifters must be registered and carry "dog tags" to identify them while shifted.

There are two classes of Shapeshifters, Predators and Herd Animals. All predators tend to be either a natural born Sentinel or a Guide. No other type of Shapeshifter or race of man can be a Sentinel or Guide. As such, predators are *very* rare and often feared.

Psionicists
They tend to have one or two mental powers in the area of telepathy, empathy, clairvoyance, etc... While it is normal for them to undergo extreme training and social conditioning, there is still great debate over the construction of devises that can limit or control these natural abilities. They are often feared or revered, depending on the area or the person.

Elementals
The most common of the three races, they each have a limited control over and compulsion to be near one of the four alchemical elements: fire, air, water or earth. While an elemental can not create thier element in a place where it does not exist, they can shape it and move it with thier thougts alone.

List of Characters:
Jim Ellison: (Sentinel) Shapeshifter - black panther
Blair Sandburg: (Guide) Shapeshifter - wolf
Simon Banks: Psionicist - telepath
Brian Rafe: Elemental - water
Henri Brown: Psionicist - empath
Megan Conner: Psionicist - telekenisis
Joel Taggart: Psionicist - illusionist

Panther and Wolf
by Scorpio

Simon Banks hung up the phone and rubbed his fingertips in circular motions against his temples. His continual headache was evolving into a migraine. He sighed deeply and rolled his shoulders in an effort to ease the stress cramped muscles.

Focusing his concentration inward, the tired telepath slightly relaxed the mental shields he kept in place around his mind at all times. Careful not to drop all of his shields at once, he released them one at a time, like peeling an onion. One layer after another.

As each successive shield fell away, so did the mental strain of maintaining it. The tension began to drain away from him, even as the low murmur of thoughts grew stronger and stronger. Surrounded by the many minds in the Cascade P.D. Headquarters, the sound of all those thoughts was like the dim roar of the crowd at a Jags game. Simon was careful not to focus on any one mind or any one thought. He just allowed the background murmur to wash over him in soothing waves. The tension lessened even more, until his headache was no longer in danger of becoming a migraine.

Just as slowly, the telepath raised his mental shields once more. One by one, layer by layer. The drone of busy minds faded away once again. Mentally centered, Simon picked up the receiver of his phone. With a deep sigh, he dialed the home number to his best detective team. The Sentinel and the Guide.

~~~

Blair sat in the corner of the couch, leaning comfortably against the armrest while reading over a test, red marker poised in one hand. Jim lay stretched out along the remaining length of the couch with his big furry head resting in Blair's lap. Blair enjoyed the solid weight of his mates head pressing down on his legs, and the loud rumbling purr was one of the most wonderful sounds he could ever hear. He was finding it difficult to concentrate on the paper he was grading.

The test wasn't as complex as those he'd given when he had been teaching undergraduate Anthropology while he was working on his P.H.D., but it required some degree of concentration to teach at the Police Academy. Even if it was only one class to cover an officer on medical sabbatical, it was still worth it to Blair.

After Blair had received his P.H.D. in Anthropology he had immediately entered the Police Academy so that he could be at his Sentinel's side, like a Guide should. While he truly enjoyed being a Detective in Major Crimes as Jim's permanent partner, he had really missed teaching. It felt good to be Detective Sandburg and Doctor Sandburg at the same time.

With a gentle smile tugging at the corners of his mouth, Blair began to read the test paper again. Almost absently, his one hand dropped to trail lightly along Jim's strong jaw and soft furred cheek. The big cat purred even louder.

The comfortable silence was suddenly disrupted by the ringing telephone. Blair's head shot up and the tip of Jim's long sleek tail began to twitch in mild annoyance. For a second, Blair contemplated letting the machine pick up, but discarded the idea quickly. It could be important.

With a soft sigh, Blair rubbed the black panthers soft fur. "Let me up Big Guy."

With fluid grace, Jim lifted himself off of Blair and rose to his paws on the couch. Blair watched his lover indulge in a full body stretch as he walked over to answer the phone. Fur covered muscles bunched and then lengthened as Jim extended his forelegs out straight before him. With a flex of tendon his claws emerged from their sheaths and then just as quickly retracted. Shifting his considerable weight forward, he stretched out his hind legs and gave vent to a fang baring yawn. Circling the cushions once to find the sunniest spot, Jim flopped down once more. Blair couldn't help but admire the majestic beauty so easily contained in such a deadly form. His fingers ached to stroke the midnight fur once more.

"Sandburg." His voice was slightly distracted.

"I know this is your day off."

"Oh, hey Simon." Blair interrupted.

Jim looked up and over towards Blair at the name. His ears perked forward to listen in on both sides of the conversation.

"Look, I need you two to come down to the First National Savings and Loan over on 134th and Jefferson."

"Oh, Simon," Blair said doubtfully, "um,... Jim's, well,... he's shifted. Full panther mode man." Blair paused to glance over his shoulder to the clock on the wall. "He still has almost thirty hours left of his lunar cycle before he can shift back to human form."

"Damn,... What about you Sandburg? When are you due to shift?"

"Not till the tail end of next week. Why?"

"Good. Then you can drive. No danger of shifting behind the wheel. Get Jim over there as soon as you can. I want you two to do your Sentinel/Guide thing. These bank robbers have to be caught. This is the third hit in as many weeks and the Chief is not amused by our lack of arrests."

"Okay Simon. But I can tell you now, not too many people are going to be thrilled about Jim being out in public while shifted. He's a large predator man, and that makes people real nervous."

"I know, I know. It can't be helped. We need his special,... talents on this one. So get going. Clear?" It wasn't exactly a question.

"Yes, Simon. We're leaving now."

Blair hung up the phone and sat down to put on his shoes. He watched Jim get up off the couch and lope upstairs. By the time Jim came back down, Blair had his shoulder holster and jacket on. Jim padded over to him and dropped his collar into Blair's outstretched hand. It was a wide black leather collar that held two metal tags on it. One was engraved with his full name and his Shapeshifter Registration Number on it. The other was an exact duplicate of his Detective's Badge. Blair knelt down and gently clasped the collar around his lovers neck. It would identify him as a registered Shapeshifter and a Detective with the Cascade P.D. instead of a wild animal escaped from the Temple of the Cats at the local Zoological Shrine.

With one last lingering touch against the thick black fur, Blair stood and grabbed the keys from the basket. He opened the door for Jim and they were on their way.

 

chapter 2

The scene outside the First National Savings and Loan was the barely contained chaos that Blair had been expecting. Crowds of spectators vied with media crews for space along the edges of the police barrier. Uniformed officers worked at crowd control and traffic, while plain clothes Detectives and Forensics went over the crimes scene with the proverbial "fine tooth comb".

Blair parked in the nearest free spot and the two Detectives walked over. Jim paced in a zigzag pattern around Blair as they steadily moved towards the bank. He knew Jim was worried about being in public while shifted by the agitated flicks of his long tail and by the nervous pacing back and forth.

As they moved closer to the bank, Blair could hear people mutter about the black panther. The words were spoken in harsh whispers that were clearly audible. The crowd parted, opening a wide swath of space for Jim.

A uniformed officer manning the barricade allowed them to pass when Blair flashed his badge and pointed out Jim's hanging from his thick leather collar. As they walked across the open space directly in front of the bank, Blair could almost feel the media cameras trained on him and his partner. It was an eerie and uncomfortable sensation, almost like being watched through a rifle scope. With an almost physical sense of relief, Blair walked into the building and out of the view from the crowds.

"Blair! Jim!"

Blair turned at the sound of his name. He smiled when he saw Janice Miller walking towards them. The petite blonde shapeshifter was new to Forensics, having transferred here from Chicago. Blair liked her. A lot. He had no siblings, but if he could have chosen a sister, Janice Miller would have made the top five list.

Janice brushed one hand from Blairs shoulder down his arm softly, only to shift it over and trail her fingers lightly through Jim's silky fur. An unconscious gesture from someone who knew how good it felt to be petted.

"I think you guys should check out the vault. They burned through the time lock." She pointed to an area behind the tellers counter that had a set of stairs leading down. "It was done very fast, yet very cleanly. No explosives."

Blair exchanged a quick look with his partner. "Lead the way."

...o0O0o...

An hour later, they were stepping out of the elevator and heading towards the doors to Major Crimes. Even the people here, officers that knew them, had worked with them for years, gave the big panther and his partner a wide berth. Blair stifled a sigh. At least in Major Crimes their co- workers treated them the same, whether they were shifted or not.

Pushing the door open, Blair allowed himself the pleasure of admiring Jim's sleek and graceful form. The large feline rubbed up against his leg with a rumbling purr on his way through the open door. Blair's electric smile could have powered the whole building.

"Hey Hairboy! S'up Furball?"

"Ya know H, one of these days, you're going to call him that, and he's going to bite you." Rafe predicted.

"Yeah, and I won't stop him, either." Blair added with a smirk.

"Hey! I earned the right to call him that. Last time he shifted, he coughed up a furball the size of a small country on my kitchen floor!"

Henri had a look of hurt dignity as all of Major Crimes burst into fits of laughter. Jim's tail began to twitch in irritation.

"Jim man, it's cool." Blair said soothingly, while running his fingers in a soft caress along Jim's cheek. "Everyone has to deal with something unpleasant every once in a while."

Jim leaned his big head into Blairs touch, but his tail continued to twitch slightly. Most of the guys in Major Crimes got a huge kick out of the quirks Jim and Blair displayed while shifted. Jim had a more difficult time dealing with a bruised ego and battered dignity than Blair, but they both understood. Shapershifters were uncommon, and predators were down right rare,... so the guys enjoyed the novelty of it. Even though it was good natured joking and friendly comments, Blair still shuddered at the memory of getting caught chasing his own tail by Joel Taggart.

"Ellison! Sandburg!" Simon's voice echoed throughout the bullpen.

"Saved by the bellow." Blair muttered Sentinel soft.

~~~

Simon sat at his desk signing the last of his paperwork. His head was pounding a steady rhythm of pain, stress, and a poor diet. All he wanted was a hot shower, a filling meal, and lots of uninterrupted sleep.

He wasn't the strongest telepath on the force, but he did have one talent. He could mind speak with shapeshifters while they were in animal form. It gave him an edge and the only side effects were a knock-down, drag-out, killer-mutant migraine. Forty-five minutes of questioning Jim about the bank robbery had left him in bad shape. He needed to get home. He hurriedly set about straightening his desk in preparation to getting out of the station.

"Finally." He muttered as he reached over to turn off his desk lamp.

Gathering his keys and a few file folders, he headed for his office door. Walking into the bullpen, he noticed that Henri Brown and Brian Rafe were still there, heads tucked together, talking over a stack of papers spread out across the desk.

Rafe held a glass of water in one hand. The glass was being held rock steady, but the water was swirling in a miniature whirlpool, a sure sign that the Water Elemental was agitated.

It took Simon a half minute to recall that the two men were working on the rash of kidnappings. A bizarre case. Important figures would disappear for several days and then turn up again intact. Well, not entirely. Thier minds were wiped clean, with no recollection of who took them, where they had been, or even how long they had been gone. They're memories were complete blanks.

Simon walked over to his two detectives. Slowly, so as not to startle the Water Elemental, Simon placed his hand over Rafe's on the glass of water. The young detective glanced at the small whirlpool inside the glass and blushed slightly. He hadn't even been aware that he was doing it again. Slowly, the churning water stilled.

"Sorry Captain."

"Don't worry about it. Why don't you two go home. Get some rest."

"Sure Captain." Henri answered. "We'll get going soon. Just straighten up a bit first. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

Simon didn't want to argue. His head hurt way too much. Without another word, he turned and strode towards the door.

"Fuck!"

"Captain?" Two voices called in unison.

"Wha? Oh, sorry. I just remembered I have to stop over at Daryl's apartment and feed his cat. He's on some trip with the University."

Simon turned to grin back at the two detectives.

"You'd think with Jim walking around here all day being his furry self, I'd have remembered."

Simon left the bullpen to the sounds of laughter.

 

chapter 3

Jim lounged on the couch with his body stretched out along the cushions, t.v. remote nestled between his crossed forepaws. He found his attention being divided between the pre-game show and the amazing smells coming from the kitchen. Blair was making poached Salmon, and Jim's stomach growled it's appreciation.

Blairs laughter floated out to him, "I heard that Big Guy. Don't worry, dinner will be ready soon."

Jim's returning laughter was a rumbling purr. He turned his head towards the kitchen and watched as Blair started making a salad. Vegetables were diced and tossed with an efficient skill and noodles simmered in a sauce that was gently spiced. The heavenly scents encouraged the purr to grow louder. Yes, his Blair was one hell of a good cook.

An expected sound caught Jim's ear. He cocked his big head and pivoted his ears forward. Yep, Brian Rafe had just pulled up outside the building.

Ever since Rafe's parents had died in a horrible car crash caused by a drunk driver six months ago, his friends in Major Crimes had been taking turns spending time with him. Not baby-sitting, per say, but just being there for him when he had needed them the most. Now, it had become a habit of sorts. Every other Tuesday, case loads permitting, Brian Rafe ate dinner over at the Ellison/Sandburg residence. All three of them enjoyed the set-up.

Jim sat there, guarding the t.v. remote and listening to the sounds of Rafe walking up the three flights of stairs. The rumbling growl that was his laughter purred out of him again as he heard his friend complaining loudly about the fact that the elevator was broken,... again.

When Rafe knocked on the door, Blair wandered over to answer it with a sauce covered spoon in one hand. Jim tracked a single drop of the creamy alfredo as it dripped down the spoon and onto his Guides hand. It was with considerable restraint that he didn't get up, knock Blair onto the floor, and lick his hand and the spoon clean. Blair would have been amused, but Rafe would probably suffer a case of the creeping willies.

Blair opened the door and Brian walked in. He had a six pack of beer in one hand and a bag with strawberry ice-cream in the other.

"Hey guys. Dessert is here."

Blair giggled. "Hey man. You shouldn't announce yourself as dessert to a cat that literally can eat you. He might think you were making a serious offer to be B.B.Q'd."

"Ha! Very funny."

Rafe handed over the bag with the tub of ice-cream to Blair.

"That's the dessert. Not me. Besides, I know for a fact that Jim would rather eat you."

Jim watched, silently amused at the bright and deep blush that bloomed across Blairs face. If he could, he would have blushed himself, especially since he had just been contemplating licking Blair to within an inch of his life.

After putting away the ice-cream, Blair handed Rafe one of the beers and shooed him out of the kitchen.

"Go keep the cat company. Just don't come crying to me if he takes a chunk out of you."

Rafe walked into the living room and sat down on the other couch. Settling himself, he popped open the beer and looked at the t.v.

"Cool, the pre-game. Hey Jim, turn up the volume, huh?"

Jim looked at the remote lying between his paws. Concentrating, he flexed the tendons in his right foreleg and extended the claw of one toe out of it's protective sheath. Taking careful aim, Jim held down the `volume-up' button. Satisfied with the volume change, he relaxed his muscles and tendons allowing the claw to retract once more.

"Thanks buddy."

Jim gave him the huge "I'm bored, how can you be impressed with such a simple thing." kind of yawn that all cats are so good at. It had a little bit of a different effect than watching a common house cat do that maneuver. A house cat didn't have inch and a half long razor sharp fangs. Rafe, however, was unimpressed.

With a snort, Jim turned his attention back to his beloved Guide and the delicious smells wafting out of the kitchen. Blair was setting the table now, and the Salmon was calling Jim's name in several languages at once. He sniffed at the air and his stomach rumbled loudly once again. Blair heard it and giggled.

Rafe just raised one eyebrow, "Hungry?"

Loftily ignoring that last remark, Jim rose from the couch with a sensuous grace that belied his two hundred plus pounds. Making his way over to the dinner table, he circled Blair once, rubbing his length against his lover, a loud purr in his throat.

"I love you too, Kitten." Blair smiled.

Padding over to the covered bench set in front of his spot at the table, Jim gave a small leap and landed on the soft cushion. It had taken awhile to find the bench, but it had been worth the look. It was the perfect height to sit on and be able to reach the table. A lot of people thought that he and Blair were strange to do it this way, but neither one of them liked to eat out of bowls off of the floor if they didn't have to.

Just as Rafe was about to sit down at his spot, Jim heard someone running up the steps. The unknown persons heart was beating fast, and the stench of fear was getting stronger. He turned his head towards the door and let loose a snarl that would have made anyone who didn't know him wet themselves in fear.

With a single leap, Jim positioned himself in front of the door. The fur along the ruff of his neck was standing up on end, and a deep warning growl rumbled out of his chest. Rafe didn't hesitate to act. Pulling his gun out of his holster, he positioned himself on one side of the door, ready to act as back-up. Blair grabbed his gun and extended one hand for the doorknob. A quick glance around told him everyone was in position. Jim nodded his head slightly.

Blair quickly turned the knob and flung open the door. Sweeping his other arm around, he found himself staring at one of his old students from Rainer. The young man took one look at the two guns and the huge jungle cat and let loose a scream.

"Tim!"

Blair pulled up his gun and flicked on the safety all in one movement. Shoving the weapon into the waistband at the back of his jeans, he stepped forward into the hall and extended a hand to the frightened man who had his back pressed tightly to the wall. Seeing where his ex-students eyes were locked, Blair spoke over his shoulder to Jim and Rafe.

"It's okay guys. This is Timothy Langford. He was a student of mine a few years back." He spoke to Tim this time. "History major, right?"

Obviously shaken and more than a little afraid, Tim nodded his head yes. Glancing around Blair at the man and the huge panther, Tim pulled him a little closer.

"Doctor Sandburg,... I,... I need to talk to you. It's going to sound strange, but,... I,..."

Using his "Guide's Voice", Blair soothed the young man. "Tim, it's okay man. Take a deep breath. Gather your thoughts. Then tell me. Don't worry if it sounds strange. I do strange real well." Blair ignored the amused little snort from Jim.

Tim took a deep breath and visually calmed down. "Okay. Well, I'm,... I'm sort of,... well, clairvoyant. Tonight, I,... well, I had a vision while walking down the street. It was very scary. I watched the memory of someone being kidnapped."

At that last comment, Rafe's head shot up and an intense interest burned in his eyes.

"What did you say?"

 

chapter 4

"Stop! It happened right over there." Tim's voice was still a little shaky, but it was filled with certainty.

Blair pulled over to the side of the road and parked the Volvo. It was a nice neighborhood, one that he had spent much time in during his undergraduate days. The rent was cheap, the buildings were clean, and it was close to Rainer campus. It was an area most notable by the number of college students that lived there.

The three men and the black panther all got out of the car into the cool evening air. Rafe glanced at Tim quickly and then motioned Blair aside.

"Hey, I know this guy's your friend and all,... but, is he for real? I mean, is he really a clairvoyant?"

"I don't know Rafe. I've never been near him when it happened, so... Look, I know he's a good guy. He's never lied to me before. Whatever happened really upset him, so I want to find out what. Even if all I do is make him feel better. Ya know?"

"Yeah. Okay."

"This way."

Tim walked across the street slowly. His face was one of relaxed openness. It was almost as if he were listening to something. The young red head, turned his face one way and then the other, as if he was looking for someone or something. Hesitantly, step by step, he walked over to stop in front of a parked car.

Suddenly, Tim cried out. Dropping to his knees, he reached out to steady himself. His right hand came into contact with the surface of the car next to him and the world dissolved in blue light.

Flash.

Everything was bathed in an eerie blue light and all other colors were muted. No sound penetrated his ears, and his skin felt as if it had been swathed in soft cotton. The moon was just rising over the tenant building and the big black man pulled his car over into the only free parking spot. He was talking to himself, but Tim could not hear the words.

Flash.

The black man was struggling with two other men. They were yelling, but there was no sound. Suddenly, the tall black man from the car was shoved hard. His body slammed into another car parked along the narrow street. His head hit the bumper and an object dropped out of his hand.

Flash.

The two unnamed men were dragging the tall black man across the empty street. He was alive, but unconscious. His assailants lifted him up and placed him into the back of a van. A white van with writing on the side.

Flash.

"Tim! Tim, man. Hear my voice. Come back to us."

"Doctor Sandburg?"

"Yes Tim. It's me."

Tim turned his face towards Blair. His green eyes were open wide with fear and he was breathing heavy. He could feel the tremors coursing through him.

"It happened again. Just,... just like before."

"What happened Tim?"

"A,... a vision. I saw it happening. It was like I was there at the time."

"The kidnapping?" Rafe asked.

"Yes." Tim swallowed and visibly tried to pull himself together. "It happened here. A,... black man was attacked. He was big, but there were two of them. They pushed him and he fell."

Tim stood up on shaky legs and Rafe reached out a hand to steady him. Tim smiled his thanks and then led the detectives over to the front of the car.

"Here." He pointed at the bumper. "He hit his head and he dropped something. I'm not sure what it was, but it was metal,... I think."

The panther sniffed at the bumper and a little whine escaped his throat. The other two detectives glanced down at him and then frowned. Blair got on his knees and peered under the car. Something was there. Pulling an evidence bag out of his pocket, he reached under and grabbed the object. It was a set of keys.

Rafe and Blair exchanged a long look and then Rafe turned to the upset young man who was clinging to his arm.

"Tim, did you see where the black man came from, or where the two men took him?"

Tim glanced around quickly as if looking for something. Finally he pointed down the street and took off at a fast trot.

"There. That's the car the black man got out of."

The detectives all caught up with Tim and stared at the parked car in stunned disbelief for a second. Then the big panther started to growl and pace around, sniffing at the air. Detective Rafe pulled out a cell phone and began making an urgent call, taking fast and loud to whomever was on the other side.

Tim turned to Blair. "You guys believe me, don't you?"

"Yes Tim. We believe you. That car belongs to Simon Banks, Captain of Major Crimes with the Cascade P.D." Blair glanced over at his former student. "Tim, we're going to need you to make a statement, okay?"

Tim looked uncertain for a moment, then he nodded. "Yeah, sure thing Doctor Sandburg."

"Oh, and Tim? Call me Blair."

 

chapter 5

Brian Rafe walked into his apartment and locked the door behind him. It had been a very long night. What had started out as a friendly evening with Jim and Blair had soon turned into a bizarre nightmare. It had left him tired, hungry, and feeling out of sorts.

Taking off his jacket and hanging it haphazardly over the back of a chair, Rafe made his way into the cramped space he jokingly called a kitchen. The refrigerator yielded sparse and unappetizing fare. He finally just settled for a bottle of cold beer and bowl of unheated left-over spaghetti. Sitting down at his newspaper strewn table, Rafe tried to fill his stomach and quiet the tumbling thoughts in his mind.

First, there was this whole kidnapping case that he and his partner Henri Brown had been assigned to. It was frightening, but in an odd way. All the victims had been released, not through ransom, but by simply appearing somewhere. They were always returned unharmed physically, the only sign of their plight was missing memories. None of the victims could recall a single moment of their captivity. They had tried everything to jog those memories loose. Hypnosis, Empathic links, Telepathic links, everything. One recovered victim tried a Wiccian meditation ritual to recover the missing days and could only explain it as a "Light green mist that smelled like roses."

Now Simon Banks was missing. Henri had been on the phone almost non-stop trying to track down Simon, but to no avail. No one seemed to know where he was.

All the evidence found by Jim and gathered by forensics pointed to a struggle. Simon had put up a fight, but in the end, he had been taken. The spot on the bumper that Tim had pointed out had blood on it and there were small traces of the same blood in a trial that led to the spot Tim said the white van had been. Rafe feared that Simon would also loose memories, and worse, he feared Simon might be the one to fight back so hard that he lost his life as well.

That led Rafe's circular thoughts straight to his only "witness". Timothy Langford. A tall, thin, red-headed graduate student at Rainer University that majored in World History. One of Blair's former students. A clairvoyant.

Rafe wasn't quite sure what to think about Tim Langford. The younger man unsettled him in a way that he couldn't explain. It wasn't the fact that he was a Psionic. Rafe worked with and was friends with too many people with those mental gifts to be bothered by them. Hell, his Captain was a telepath and his partner was an empath. No, it was something else.

Tim had even offered to work with Rafe and Henri on the case. He claimed that he had never had visions come to him so strongly or so clearly before and that he felt he was supposed to help. Rafe had heard that before, so he excepted it without too many questions. Many clairvoyants felt compelled to come to the police when they had disturbing visions of violence. Rafe figured that if he saw psychic memories of a violent crime, he'd feel duty bound to solve it as well. But then again, he was a cop and solving crimes was his job,... no, his life.

Rafe frowned. That still didn't explain the odd way he felt around Tim. Mulling it over while he rinsed out his bowl at the sink, Rafe decided that it wasn't a bad feeling he got from Tim, just an odd one. Something new.

With a sigh, Rafe headed out of the kitchen and walked to the bathroom. He needed to get ready for bed. It was only a short time away form when he was due back and the station and it was going to be a long day again tomorrow.

...o0O0o...

Ra'joul reached out with one strangely elegant hand and accepted the last neat stack of hundred dollar bills from Chris "The Vise" Amrock. Placing it neatly in the remaining spot in the suitcase, he watched his second in command turn off the electronic paper stacker and tidy up.

Ra'joul suppressed a smirk at the highly disciplined and frighteningly precise movements. Chris Amrock lived up to his nickname in a myriad of ways. "The Vise" had the ability to trap a mind and through sheer force of will alone, shape it to his desire. A chilling man with no soul. Ra'joul reminded himself once again, that after the contract with their current employer was fulfilled, he would eliminate Amrock with extreme prejudice.

A glance to the right showed that the Air Elemental known only as Karl was almost through cleaning his guns. The quiet and seemingly shy blonde was obsessed with weapons. He never asked questions, never needed a reason, he simply followed orders. No order was too violent or too messy. Ra'joul also knew that Karl was completely loyal to him personally. Yes, he would keep Karl around a bit longer. The man was a highly effective weapon, if nothing else.

Ra'joul didn't even have to use his empathic abilities to know that `Shell was entertaining Tony. It was a given. Ra'joul could almost pity the shape-shifting snake woman for getting mixed up with the Fire Elemental, but not quite. Ra'joul simply didn't have it in himself to pity anyone.

Tony, a.k.a. Antonio Carrletti, was a mean tempered man with a violent disposition. He used his gift for fire control with great accuracy and precision, but he himself was a wild card. Unpredictable. Ra'joul was still trying to decide if he should also eliminate Tony when the contract was up. 'Shell would probably be very grateful, but then again, what did Ra'joul need with the gratitude of a snake?

With a sigh, Ra'joul stood up and smoothed the lines of his jacket. This was the worst part of the job. He would never admit it to anyone, but his employer gave him the creeps,... big time.

"I'm going to deliver the money to "The Man". Ra'joul spoke to Chris, but it was Karl who nodded acknowledgment.

"If I'm not back by tomorrow,... leave town."

It wasn't necessary to say that. It was a given, but Ra'joul wanted to impress on them once again how deadly this portion of the contract was.

Grabbing the money filled suitcase, Ra'joul headed towards the door. Stopping briefly in front of Karl, he whispered, "Keep an eye on lighter-fluid for brains. If he kills 'Shell with his little games,... Waste him."

Karl nodded his understanding and began to load his newly cleaned .38 Special. Wishing he could just take the money and run, Ra'joul headed for his car and a meeting with the most terrifying human being he had ever had the misfortune to meet.

...o0O0o...

The first thing to register in Blair's sleep fogged mind was a warm heavy weight pressing down on his chest in a wonderfully protective way. The second thing to register in Blair's not quite awake mind was that the warm heavy weight was furry and purring loudly.

Blair felt his smile grow and he reached up with both hands to run them through the silky fur of his mate. Without opening his eyes he sought for and found the sensitive spot behind both ears that Jim loved to have rubbed. The purr got louder and Blair enjoyed the sensation of the echoed vibrations in his own lightly furred chest.

"Morning Kitten. I love you."

Suddenly, a big wet tongue licked up the side of his face, soaking him from jawbone to hairline. He erupted in giggles.

Cracking open one bright blue eye, Blair rubbed and scratched at all of Jim's favorite spots. The huge cat lying on his chest continued to purr and bathed his face in long lazy licks. Blair giggled some more.

Silly grin firmly in place Blair grabbed Jim's furred head and pulled him down until he could bestow a kiss between the panther's deep blue eyes.

"Jim, I love you more than anything or anyone in the entire world. I would gladly give up everything I own for your kisses man. But I am telling you, when it's my turn to shift, I am like so going to drool all over you. What do you think of that? Big sloppy Wolf kisses all over."

He raised one inquiring eyebrow. For an answer, he got another big sloppy Panther kiss. Blair's giggles echoed throughout the loft.

 

chapter 6

Wrapping one arm around the body of the panther, Blair rolled over onto his side. With a softly huffed grunt, Jim's furred body flopped onto the bed next to Blair. Jim, being the shameless cat that he is, lifted his left foreleg and leaned back. Tipping his large furred head away, he exposed his neck and chest to his mate in an open invitation to pet and adore him. This move always worked on Blair, Jim knew he was simply irresistible.

"Oh, it's like that, I see." Blair pouted slightly, although his eyes sparkled with mirth. "I'm only good for a bit of scratching and loving, huh?"

In spite of his pouty lips and humorously sarcastic words, Blair reached out with his hand and gently stroked it through the midnight silk on Jim's chest. He was instantly rewarded with a loud rumbling purr.

Blair continued to lavish tender attention on Jim. He rubbed and petted and scratched. He made sure to hit all of Jim's favorite spots at least twice. Behind his ears, under his chin, across the expanse of his muscled chest, along the edge of his rib cage, and of course, a gentle sweep of long fingers against the soft fur on his cheeks. Jim's endless purr of happiness was music to Blair's heart and the endearing way the big cat rubbed his face into Blair's pillow was adorable.

Blair truly wished that they could just stay like this the rest of the day. It only took a single glance at the clock to remind him that they had a full day scheduled and that they needed to get started on it. Blair leaned into the furred warmth of his Sentinel and wrapped both arms around him for one last hug before they had to leave their bed.

"Come on Big Guy." He said scooting towards the edge. "We've got witnesses to interview."

Jim gave vent to a huge bored yawn, clearly stating what he thought of that idea. Blair chuckled at him.

"I feel the same way Kitten."

With a little shake of his head to clear the tousled curls out of his face, Blair bounced down the stairs without putting on any clothes. He headed into the kitchen and poured a bowl of fresh milk for Jim. He placed it on the table and went back to the refrigerator. Leaning in to see what he could make for breakfast, he felt warm silky fur brush up against his leg, followed by a soft purr.

"Hey. How does scrambled eggs and toast with orange marmalade sound?"

Jim purred a little louder and rubbed up against his leg once more before walking over to the table and leaping onto the bench. The black panther looked over his shoulder pointedly and then began drinking his milk.

Blair grinned. "Okay man. Breakfast is coming up."

Blair began to quickly set out the things he needed and then started preparing the simple meal. While he was cooking he let his mind drift. He hoped that nothing major happened today. He was really looking forward to spending tonight with Jim. When the moon rose tonight, it would signal the end of this months lunar cycle for Jim and he would be able to shift back into human form.

Not that Blair loved Jim any less when he was in animal form, no. It's just that there were certain things that he missed when one of them was shifted. Talking for one. It was very difficult to talk to someone who lost the ability of human speech. Unless, like Simon, you could mind speak with shifted shapeshifters. Blair missed not being able to have a conversation with Jim.

Tonight, Blair wanted to get Jim alone. Talk for about three hours and then have the rest of the night to spend making love. He smiled widely at the thought.

Placing the food onto a plate, Blair walked over to the table where the big cat was sitting. Rubbing one hand down Jim's broad back, Blair reached around with the other to place the plate on the table. He grabbed the empty bowl and stood up.

"More milk?"

Jim leaned his beg head into Blair and rubbed his cheek against him. With a rumbling purr, he nodded yes.

"Okay. Then I'm going to jump in the shower."

Blair refilled the bowl with more milk and returned it to the table. With a last lingering touch to the silky fur, he turned and walked to the bathroom, still buck naked. Jim sat there and admired the view.

~~~

Henri Brown sat in the break room between his partner Detective Brian Rafe and the love of his life, Inspector Megan Conner. Few people knew about his relationship with the Psionic Inspector from Australia. Only their closest friends, Rafe, Jim and Blair, and their Captain, Simon Banks were aware of their love.

While it broke his heart not to be able to declare their love from the highest building, it was a bureaucratic necessity to be discreet. The Aussey Inspector was only on loan to the Cascape P.D. and it was a very real threat that her credentials could be pulled and she could be shipped half way around the world if it was known she had an "unprofessional" relationship with another officer. Hopefully soon, that would no longer be a threat to them. Unknown to most, Megan had requested a permanent transfer and U.S. Citizenship. If granted, they could not only proclaim their love, but be legally married without= jeopardizing either one of their careers.

Henri looked up and pulled his mind from his daydreams of wedding the beautiful Inspector Conner at the pitiful sound escaping from his partners mouth. Henri momentarily wondered if Rafe knew just how dejected that sigh sounded.

A single glance over at Rafe made him start to worry a little bit. He was holding a glass of water, like always, but it was the mini-whirlpool inside the glass that caught his attention. Rafe only did that when he was upset, usually without being aware of it.

He didn't usually open his mind to others without asking first, but he knew Rafe wouldn't mind. Even if he somehow found out. Closing his eyes, Henri allowed himself to relax and open his mind.

It always helped to picture a flower just ready to bloom. He envisioned the petals opening up and catching the faint breeze. Silly image yes, but it worked for him

He opened his empathic abilities and the "breeze" blew in emotions. Sorting through them until he found the mental signature he knew so well. Focusing of Rafe, Henri let the emotions and feelings wash over him.

Worry. Anxiety. Loneliness. Nervous anticipation. Nervous? Anticipation? About what?

Henri pulled back his thoughts just as slowly and gently as he had let them out. A glance at Rafe showed that he didn't know what Henri had been up to, but a glance at Megan said that she did. She raised one sculpted eyebrow in question. Henri silently mouthed the word, "Later." She nodded once, and they went back to waiting. Waiting on Tim Langford.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Scorpio.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.