Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-06-12
Words:
3,911
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,933

Betrayal Series

Summary:

Dutch is betrayed by Lucy.

Chapter 1: Betrayal 1

Chapter Text

Title: - Betrayal Series.

Author: - Katt.

E-mail: - kattanon@hotmail.com

Rating: - FRT

Series: - One of ?

Archive: - Feel free.

Feedback: - Like it or loathe it let me know.

Disclaimer: - I don't own any of the characters of The Shield, they all belong to Shawn Ryan and FX.

 

Betrayal 1 - Dutch is betrayed by Lucy.

Shit he was running late, the alarm hadn't gone off and now both him and Lucy would be late for work. He could hear her downstairs rushing around trying to do several things at once as usual he thought with a smile. He looked at his face in the mirror and smiled again at the thought of how much better Lucy had been lately, how much better everything had been lately. Thank God she had agreed to join AA and thank God for his friend Jack, he had been a brilliant sponsor for Lucy. Nothing had been too much trouble for him and Dutch knew that if he couldn't be there for Lucy when she needed him then Jack would be. Yet only the other day when Dutch had been thanking him for all the effort he'd put in to helping him and Lucy, all the time he'd spent supporting her, Jack had seemed embarrassed. Just modest Dutch thought as he searched through the bathroom cabinet trying to find a razor. The one in his hand was blunt and he really didn't fancy starting his day cutting his face to ribbons with it. With a sigh he turned to the rubbish bin in the corner, he grimaced slightly as he bent down to search though it as he was sure the razor he'd chucked in there a couple of days ago was better than the one he held. He touched the plastic handle and pulled it out from the bottom of the bin and then frowned, it wasn't the razor and as he turned it over in his hand all thoughts of the razor disappeared. With a gasp he sat down heavily on the toilet seat his mouth open staring at the plastic tube, staring at the two pink dots in the windows. Lucy was pregnant he couldn't believe it, Dutch felt a wave of joy sweep through him. He was going to be a father!

He sat there open mouthed in shock. God, why hadn't she told him? Maybe she wasn't happy? He knew she'd always been the one wanting to wait before they started a family, never feeling ready for the responsibility a baby would bring. Then of course there'd been her drinking problem, and the strain that had placed on their marriage, but they'd gotten through that, they'd gotten past it. Dutch felt that things were as good now as they had been in the first years of their marriage. Still, perhaps she felt it wasn't time. He chewed his lower lip nervously as he considered the possibility she wouldn't want the baby.

Then suddenly another possibility entered his mind. She was going to surprise him, wait for the perfect moment to tell him. It was their wedding anniversary next week, he felt certain that was it. She wanted to wait until then to give him the best present he could ever have wished for. Wow he was going to be a dad! He felt his heart swell with love and pride for his wife. He would be a good father, he was determined. He'd always promised himself that when he and Lucy had a family he would be nothing like his own father.

He stood up, his search for a razor forgotten, and gazed at his reflection in the mirror again. He had the widest grin on his face that he thought he'd ever had. There was that surge of love again for Lucy, as he thought that she had been responsible for most of the happiest moments in his life. When she'd agreed to go to dinner with him when, after 2 months of trying to pluck up the courage to ask her, he finally asked her out for the first time. When she'd said "yes" to his marriage proposal. When he'd turned and watched her walk down the aisle and stand at his side. However, he didn't think he'd ever cherish even those moments as much as this one.

Then he wondered what he should do. Should he put the pregnancy test back in the bottom of the bin, and pretend he hadn't found it? Let her have her moment next week? Let her "surprise" him with the news on their anniversary? He shook his head that would never work. He would never be able to keep the secret. He wanted to hug her, kiss her, sweep her up in his arms and tell her how much he loved her, how much he loved both of them, his wife and his unborn child. He wanted to tell everyone. He couldn't wait to get into work and tell everyone there how lucky he was. Then of course there was Jack. He'd phone him later, he was sure that Jack would be delighted for both of them. After all if it hadn't been for Jack's support as Lucy's sponsor, helping her remain free from the alcohol, this wouldn't have been possible. He absently wondered what Lucy would think, if they had a son, about calling him Jack. Then he thought "Jack Wagenbach" and shook his head, maybe not, but definitely a Godfather.

Just then Lucy shouting up the stairs interrupted his thoughts,

"Holland are you ready yet. You're supposed to be dropping me off this morning don't forget!"

"Coming." He called back.

Glancing once more at his reflection he made his decision. Taking the positive pregnancy test with him he went downstairs, and found his wife waiting for him in the kitchen. She frowned at him, at the fact he wasn't dressed yet,

"You're not ready, we'll be late. You know I've got that meeting..."

Then her voice trailed off when she saw what he held in his hand.

Dutch was concerned. Lucy's eyes had widened and the colour had drained from her face as she stared at the pregnancy test. Suddenly he became worried that maybe his first suspicion had been correct. Maybe she wasn't happy, maybe she didn't want the baby.

"I was looking for a razor." He explained, adding. "Oh Lucy why didn't you tell me? This is wonderful...I'm so happy."

He beamed at her hoping to calm any fears she might have. She stared at him and stuttered,

"I...I...was going to tell you...I just...I didn't know how."

Dutch frowned she sounded so unhappy. He took a step towards her, but stopped suddenly uncertain when she took a step back away from him. Trying once again to reassure her he said,

"It's ok...God Lucy its fantastic news. We're going to be parents! I know you're worried about your career, but we'll figure something out...childcare or something...we'll manage, make it work. You know I'll be there for you all the way...I'll support you. We're in this together..."

He stopped when Lucy burst into tears. Shit this wasn't going the way he'd thought it would, the way he'd hoped it would. Again he moved towards her, and again she moved away from him, holding up her hand she said,

"Don't...just don't."

"What...what's wrong...what have I done wrong."

"Nothing." She sobbed. "Nothing it's me."

"Why? Is it...don't you want the baby?" He asked afraid of her answer.

Dutch wasn't sure how he'd handle it if she said she wanted an abortion. So he was relieved when she answered,

"No...no it's not that...I do want the baby...I do...it's just...Oh God what a mess."

Dutch felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. All the joy he'd been feeling earlier seemed to have dissipated and was being replaced by a cold, nagging fear.

"What is it?" He asked her dreading the answer.

Lucy looked up at him with tear-filled eyes full of guilt and pity and Dutch felt his whole world crumble around him when she said,

"It's not yours Holland...the baby isn't yours...your not the father."