Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-06-16
Words:
9,545
Chapters:
7/7
Comments:
8
Kudos:
16
Hits:
3,134

Death be not proud

Summary:

A different take on the aftermath of Twilight

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Title: Death be not proud 1/?
Author:Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindread@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) Gen
Pairing/Characters: n/a
Rating: FRT 13
Summary: What happened after Twilight
Warnings: Death fic (duh!).
Notes: This is a sick and twisted idea that I got after reading a post regarding Twilight. I apologize in advance but I just couldn't help myself
Acknowledgments:

 

 

Kate sat up and grimaced, "Boy that last one sure stung like hell," she said as she pushed herself to her feet. She looked across the rooftop to where Gibbs and DiNozzo were standing with their backs to her. "Hey guys, everything okay over there?" she called as she dusted herself. "Did you get the second shooter?" Neither man responded to her, and Kate frowned in annoyance as she walked over to them. "Gibbs, DiNozzo, what's going on?" As she moved towards them, DiNozzo turned around, blood spatter on his face that couldn't conceal the look of anguish on it. "Oh my God, Tony, are you okay?" But he just walked right past her. "Gibbs, what the hell is going on?" And that was when Kate saw what Gibbs was looking at, stretched out on the ground.

Kate sank to her knees. "This is not happening," she said; even as she looked at her own body lying on the ground, blood pooling around its head. "This is not happening."
She looked over at Gibbs who had his phone out by now. "Gibbs, this is a mistake, I'm not dead, I'm right here." But he was oblivious to her presence as he called in to headquarters.

Kate ran over to where Tony was slumped against the wall, his head buried in his hands. "DiNozzo," Kate yelled at him. "I don't know what the hells going on, but it's probably your fault. Stop fooling around." Tony however was equally oblivious.

Kate spun around, there had to be something she could do. Maybe she wasn't quite dead; maybe if one of the guys did CPR or something then she'd wake up. "This is just an out of body experience, right guys? Don't just give up on me." She ran back over to Gibbs and tried to attract his attention. "It's a through and through, maybe it didn't do too much damage? I could just be in a coma, right Gibbs? GIBBS!" Kate waved her hand at Gibbs head, only to watch in horror as it passed right through it.

"He can't hear you Kate."

The voice cut through Kate's consciousness and she turned to see McGee standing right behind her. "Jesus McGee, you scared me to death sneaking up on me like that. What the hells going on, did DiNozzo put you up to this?" Even as Kate looked at McGee, had a horrible feeling that she knew what he was going to say. Maybe it was some special skill that came with being a ghost...or maybe it was just the three bullet wounds she could see in his chest.

McGee looked down at himself to see what Kate was staring at. "Ah yes, those."

"Oh my God, McGee...you're shot. You need to get to a doctor..." Kate's voice trailed off. "Oh no...you're not..."

McGee nodded, "I'm dead Kate...and so are you."

---------------------

Kate and McGee sat back against the wall and watched as the scene was recorded.
"I sort of feel like I should be doing something," observed Kate as an NCIS agent took photos of her body. Gibbs and Tony had left the scene by then, Gibbs under heavy protest. But from what Kate had overheard of his phone conversation with the director, he had had no choice but to turn the scene over to another NCIS team. Bad enough that he had lost one member of his team, but the discovery of McGee's body had been the clincher and both Gibbs and Tony were now back at headquarters, presumably being debriefed prior to a full investigation into the incident.

Kate sighed, "So what happens to us now, McGee? Am I doomed to haunt this rooftop for all eternity?"

"I don't think so," replied McGee. "I mean, I died down at street level, but I've been able to move around a bit since then. I guess we're not sort of stuck..." He paused and cleared his throat before continuing. "Um, Kate, I'm really really sorry about what happened to you."

Kate patted him on the knee, grateful that there was at least one person; make that ghost, that she was able to touch. "Thanks McGee, and I'm really sorry that you're dead as well. You were shaping up to be quite the NCIS agent. I just hope you didn't suffer much."

"Um, that's not exactly what I meant...see, there's something you should know." McGee took another deep breath. Okay, so he didn't need to actually breathe, but old habits died hard, at least harder than bodies. "See, when the gunfire started I knew I had to warn you guys, and when I realized I was dead, but still here, I figured I must be a ghost or something."

"So you tried to haunt us to warn us?" Kate was touched by the gesture. Okay, it obviously hadn't worked, but it was typical of McGee that he'd do his best to help his colleagues, even at the point of his own death. "That is so sweet."

"Yeah, but when I tried to sort of, I don't know, transfer myself to the rooftop, I got the wrong one...and it was the one where Ari was, and he had a high powered rifle."

"Ari? You mean it was Ari who shot me? That bastard! I knew I should have stabbed him when I had the chance."

"Anyway," McGee continued in a hurry, hoping to get the words out before he lost his nerve. "I don't know how, but I could see that he was aiming at this rooftop, and that he was aiming at Gibbs, so I started yelling at him and jumping around in front of him, anything I could think of so he wouldn't make the shot..."

If McGee hadn't already been dead, Kate's look would have dropped him in his tracks.

"YOU distracted Ari while he was aiming at Gibbs. YOU made him hit me instead?" Kate started swatting McGee about the head. "Oh my God, you killed me...you bastard!"

------------------------

to be continued