Adult Content Warning

This work could have adult content. If you continue, you have agreed that you are willing to see such content.

If you accept cookies from our site and you choose "Yes, Continue", you will not be asked again during this session (that is, until you close your browser). If you log in you can store your preference and never be asked again.

  1. Tags
    Summary

    Fandom: The Sentinel/The Thing from Another World
    Pairing: Blair Sandburg/Jim Ellison
    Rating: FRAO
    Disclaimer: The Sentinel belongs to Petfly and SciFi. The Thing From Another World belongs to Howard Hawks and RKO Pictures. The original short story upon which The Thing was based, Who Goes There? is by John W. Campbell, Jr.
    Status: new/complete
    Date: 6/05
    Series/Sequel: no. seriously. I mean it.
    Other Web Site: http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/tinnssinns
    Archive: Yes to all the list archives.
    Summary: After the crash of an unidentified flying object, pilot Jim Ellison is ordered to fly to a research station at the North Pole to investigate the resultant magnetic disturbance. There he once again meets botanist Blair Sandburg, with whom he had had an all-too-brief encounter in the States.
    Warnings: m/m, AU (C'mon, Blair's a 'botanist'. That doesn't say "AU" to you?), spoilers for the movie and for The Sentinel pilot, Switchman.
    Notes: At the time this takes place, neither Alaska nor Hawaii had yet become states. There is no connection between the real Machu-Picchu restaurant on North B Street, in San Mateo, California and the one in this story. Under the Wraps are really Dirty Bloody Martinis, which are made with Inferno or Pepper Pot Vodka (available in Canada). ~~~~ Indicates a flashback. Joltin' Joe, also known as the Yankee Clipper, is Joe DiMaggio, who played with the NY Yankees from 1936-1951. Sixty Minute Man, by Billy Ward and His Dominoes, was #17 on the charts in 1951. Buttons and Bows, the song Tex wanted to sing, is from the 1948 movie The Paleface. The pulp mystery Jim was reading was Farewell, My Lovely, by Raymond Chandler. Mikhail Botvinnik held the World Championship title in chess from 1948-1957. In Dr. Seuss' Horton Hatches the Egg (1940), the constant refrain was, 'I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%.' Triffids were created by John Wyndham. They and William Masen appear in his book, Day of the Triffids. Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny was published in 1951. He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for it in 1952. Kisses Sweeter than Wine by the Weavers was #19 on the charts in 1951. You'll Never Walk Alone is, of course, from Rogers and Hammerstein's musical, Carousel, which opened on Broadway in 1945. The verse spoken by Mrs. Chapman is Joshua 1.9. The Romance of Helen Trent and Young Dr. Malone were popular soap operas of the 30s and 40s and aired on the radio. Dr. Clayton Forrester of Pacific-Tech is from The War of the Worlds.
    Acknowledgements: This first appeared in Come to Your Senses 26. Thank you to Mysti for picking up the discrepancies. And as always, many thanks to Gail, who beta'd. From inception to completion, she offered unending support.

    Language:
    English
    Words:
    73,234
    Chapters:
    17/17
    Collections:
    1
    Comments:
    2
    Kudos:
    33
    Bookmarks:
    2
    Hits:
    5,552