Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,652
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
21
Hits:
2,260

Secret's in the Shadows

Summary:

This murder mystery story is set in California during the 1950's the golden age of the studios. Where they rule Hollywood and the surrounging areas. They can easily break or make careers in both movies and outside.

David Fox had just finish making his first movie as a romatic lead but was murdered, shot in the back of the head.

Normally the Studios would have made use of the murder to get people to see it but for one small fact that has both them and the police wanting to shove the death under covers was that David Fox had a conscenting homosexual relations just before he was murdered.

Secrets are hidden within shadows and it's up to Detective Matthew LaFontaine and the victim's half-brother, Daniel Fitzgerald to find out what really happen in the beach house.

They start off hope to bring the killer to justice but almost every avenue they tired they find their investigation be derailed. This has the two men starting to grow closer and as they do they find both love and romance in each others arms.

Work Text:

COPYWRITE: April 19, 2005 by Texas Aries all rights reserved.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: All rights reserved under International and Pan American copywrite conventions.

This fiction may not be reproduced in whole or in part by mimeograph or any other means, without permission.

This story is a work of fictions. Names, characters, places, and incidents are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locations, or persons, living or dead in coincidental.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secrets in the Shadows
by Texas Aries

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 4, 1950 - California

Homicide Detective Matthew LaFontaine slowly got out of the unmark Ford as he surveyed what he termed 'The Sharks' that had gathered during the early morning hours. It was like they could sense the blood at these scenes and started circling before the cops could get there to prevent them destroying the crime scene in their haste for a story.

Two harassed looking uniformed officers kept the barricade in place as various reporters tried to periodically sneak under the yellow tape to where the story was. He watched as one of the officers forcefully pushed one nosey reporter back under the tape, not caring when the woman went sprawling as she lost her footing.

Resting against the passenger door Matthew took the last drag of his cigarette as he looked down at the beach house, wondering if the corpse was another victim of the movie machine. A pretty boy or girl that came west looking for easy money and glamour, only to have his or her dreams crushed by the reality of this life.

Whatever the case was, he had a job to do.

LaFontaine dropped the cigarette butt and ground it under the toe of his black western boots as he moved towards the San Monica beach house followed by James Wagner, his partner for the last 5 years. James wasn't just his partner but was also his best friend. A friend that stood with him as his best man when he'd gotten married and was still there when his wife of three years decided that she couldn't live as a cop's wife and moved back home to her parents with their two year old son.

Sharing a quick look they braced themselves for what they would find, they hated calls like this for it told of an end to dreams for those who had just started to live. Moving through the crowd the blond flashed his shield at the young patrolman and slipped under the yellow barrier. He paused scanning for the lead officer, spotting him talking with a young officer and two men whose backs were toward him.

Matthew was happy to note that the lead officer was one Joseph Darby, an officer that both detectives had worked with on a number of occasions and with whom they played baseball. Darby was one of the few honest cops in the dirty pool that was LA, but that was slowly changing thanks to cops like him. Cops that wanted to protect the innocent and see justice done.

Taking in the young man next to him, LaFontaine quickly concluded that this was the new rookie that Joseph was telling him about during their weekly ball game. From what Joseph had told them the young man had just transferred in from Boston, after his mother died. Apparently the kid wanted to start over someplace new. So Patrick Ferguson joined the LA police force under the guidance of one Joseph Darby.

The kid looked like he had a good head on his shoulder's as he was busily writing down what one man said and watching both his superior and the two men being questioned. Catching Joseph's eye, Matthew watched as the sergeant patted the rooky on the back before moving to meet up with him. It spoke volumes to the seasoned detective, that Darby would allow the rookie to continue the questioning without his partner being present.

Joseph came towards the two detectives and shook first the blonde's and then the brunette's hand "Matthew, James. Good to see you."

James grinned as he returned Darby's greeting, patting the older man's shoulder. Matthew shared a quick grin and a shake while the three officers watched the new kid asking questions and taking down the two stranger's answers.

Nodding to the house, Matthew asked, "What do we have here Joseph?"

Darby sighed as he told them, "It's a murder, the victim was shot in the back of the head killing him instantly. The vic knew his killer... guys he was naked and there is evidence that he was engaged in a sexual -"

The older man trailed off as he started to blush and ran his hand nervously through his salt and pepper hair. Matthew and James exchanged a puzzled glance before James offered an outlandish suggestion, hoping he wasn't right but you could never know with this being Hollywood. "What, was he doing a sheep or something?"

Matthew's eyes widened in shock at his partner's suggestion. The older man started to cough as he swallowed the wrong way, which had LaFontaine patting the Sergeant on the back, while glaring at his unrepentant partner.

Joseph waved off Matthew as he got his coughing under control, before offering a shaking grin in James's direction. Shaking his head he said, "God no!" He scrubbed his face with his hand as he muttered quietly but the two other men still heard, "It would be better if it was." Sighing Joseph continued in a more normal tone. "It looks like he had been engaged in a sexual relationship with -". Darby paused before blurting out, "another man."

Matthew started to rub his temple as he felt one hell of a headache start.

Just great!

His superiors would want to push this under the carpet as fast as possible to avoid dealing with it.

He hated this.

The poor guy deserved justice -

Matthew knew that the kid was murdered but because he took the wrong sex to bed he'd probably never get the justice he deserved. The killer will go free and another family would mourn because the higher ups were to chicken shit to deal with it.

Damn!

Not this time.

Not by him!

Not on his watch!

Matthew straightened and looked at the two men who were still talking to the young cop. Silently he checked them out. The first one was about 5' 10 or 11 with burnet hair that was slick back as was the fashion in this day and age. He was simply dressed in a pair of old blue jeans and black biker jacket. LaFontaine's lips quirked as he saw that the burnet was wearing an old, worn pair of cowboy boots.

The other man was dress more stylishly in a white tuxedo jacket and black trousers. The morning breeze coming from the ocean was gently playing with his short ash-blond hair, as the rising sun picked out strands of white gold. The man must have felt his eyes or was just curious as to where the other officer went and turned to look.

Green eyes, the same color as new grass in spring caught his. Matthew's breath caught in his throat, his body starting to tingle as he took in the beautiful face turned towards him. Something about this man called to his heart and soul as if he knew this man like no other. The only thing that came to close was when he'd met James but this was more.

Much more.

The man reached up to push a strand of hair from his face, breaking the connection between them. The stranger gave him a quick nod before turning back to Ferguson who must have asked him a question.

Matthew never took his eyes off the two strangers as he asked, "What's their story?"

"The blond's name is Daniel Fitzgerald. He's 32, from New York and was the victim's stepbrother. Apparently Fitzgerald came out west to look after his family's interests in some movie and was staying here until the film wrapped. He was out with the producer and director all night before returning this morning around 6 am. The burnet is the vic's roommate, name of Jack Vincent. He's a stunt coordinator at MGM studios. He's 28 and a native of Northern California. He was up at a ranch all weekend helping a friend break in some horses, he got back around the same time as Fitzgerald. The victim was David Fox, age 30 and from New York. His real name is David Forbes and according to the stepbrother had just finished his first picture as the romantic lead."

The victim's true last name caused James to pause and search his memory, when had he last heard that name. It was only a minute until it came to him. That was the same last name as the multi-millionaire that was coming to California sometime this week to seal a deal with one of the studios. He could just be borrowing trouble, but the way their luck had been running it would be the same guy. "Matthew, I read about a big shot coming from New York to do some big deal with one of the studios. The VIP's name is the same as this victim's."

Matthew rubbed his face again and wondered what god did he offend in a previous life to have this happen to him. Some days it just didn't pay to get out of bed. Straightening up he started towards the house, "Well let's get started. Something tells me it will be a long day."

LaFontaine paused for a spilt second as he passed the green-eyed man, as a sensual musk invaded his senses, which made him want to lean over the smaller man and just breathe him in. Taking a firm grip on himself, Matthew entered the house and stopped just inside the door, leaving enough room for James to enter. The house was expensively furnished with pieces that cost more than his yearly salary. Wooden flooring ran throughout the beach house, with tasteful throw rugs strategically placed through the rooms. The house had a masculine but elegant décor that enhanced the house. They had entered into the living room from the front door and looking to the right they saw the dinning room with what looked like patio doors opening out onto a deck. From there you could just barely see the kitchen through the room divider. To the left was another hallway leading to the bedrooms.

Before the two detectives was a sofa upon which a naked body rested. The face was turned away from them, the body stretched out as if the young man had just collapsed after making love. One hand lay next to his hidden face, while the other rested on the curved armrest of the sofa. The victim's left leg was slightly bent while the right foot rested on the other armrest, elevating the right leg slightly. Dark blood had soaked into the seat cushion the body rested on, but other than that there was no way of knowing that they were looking on a murder scene. No blood splattered on the back of the couch or walls. The back of the victim's head, at least from where they were standing, wasn't a large blood covered hole.

The practiced eyes of the two detectives could see that the place had been wiped clean. There were no glasses, no food, nothing to tell if there had been another person there or who he was. Whoever had planned this murder was very through and smart, but hopefully they could find some sort of clue.

The two detectives working as the team they were moved quickly through the crime scene, looking for and marking evidence that would be photographed later. Once the task was completed they moved outside, nodding for the photographer to go in and work while they were waiting for the meat wagon to arrive.

LaFontaine saw that the two witnesses and possible suspects were waiting for them by a nice little red convertible. Fitzgerald was sitting in the front seat with the door open, his feet firmly on the ground as he tiredly rubbed his eyes. Vincent was sitting on the hood, with boots firmly planted on the bumper as he looked out over the ocean. Each man quietly dealing with the tragedy darkening their lives.

The sorrow in his eyes and face awoke a need in Matthew to comfort the blond haired man, which surprised him. Not wanting to deal with the strange feelings he had for this man, LaFontaine indicated to his partner that he would talk to Vincent.

Matthew paused for a minute to study Vincent as the other man looked without seeing the beauty in the morning waves. Trying to study the man and determine if this man might have killed his roommate, or maybe more than a roommate, out of jealousy.

Jack's thoughts were a thousand miles away but he also felt the presence of the blond detective. He knew that he and Daniel would be considered suspects in David's murder and hoped that they wouldn't be used as scapegoats.

He had seen the way that the first cops on the scene had looked at David's body with disgust. How that same look was turned on Dan and him. They didn't want to deal with what they had termed a pervert's death. He had heard one of them say one down and more to go. It made him want to smash the cop's face in, pound away all his anger at their dismissal of a man's life.

The older officer that showed up next was embarrassed, but he and his young partner didn't treat them the same way. They were professional and gentle in their questioning. This pair was the only ones to offer them condolences on the loss of their friend.

Now these two showed up. Were they going to be like first officers or would they going to be like the last pair. He turned his head slightly to look over, locking eyes with the man.

In the stranger's green eyes he saw an old hurt that had marked his face, giving him a hard look but there was also something else in those eyes. Or maybe lack in those eyes. He didn't see the disgust that the first two officers had nor the uncomfortable look that in the older man's. Some instinct told him that he could count on this man to do what was right. Taking a chance, he indicated for the man to take a seat as he turned to watch the waves crashed on the beach.

Matthew liked what he saw in the young man as he was closely inspected before being asked to join him. He made himself comfortable leaning on the hood of the car. "Jack Vincent right?" At the burnet man's nod the detective continued, "Where were you last night?"

Michael rested his arms on his knees and he turned to look at the detective, "Out helping a friend break in a couple of Mustangs he just bought ... Detective?"

"Matthew LaFontaine."

With a nod the stuntman turned back to watch the waves, "David asked me to leave for a couple of days. He wanted to celebrate quietly with a friend."

"So you knew about the vict ... David's preferences?"

"Yeah. He told me before moving in. Figured I should know."

"So you and him weren't an item?"

That caused Vincent to look at him with a smirk and raise eyebrow. "Nope."

"Did you have a problem with his lifestyle?"

"Nope. Wouldn't have moved in if I did."

"So are you a ... homosexual?"

Cool blue eyes met his as Vincent growled, "Don't think it's any of your business if I am or not detective."

Sighing Matthew reached in his jacket pocket to pull out a cigarette pack. Shaking it, he extracted one of the sticks and placed it in his mouth, before putting the pack away. The lighter was next and he had to cup the flame and the end of the cigarette to block the wind from putting it out. Slipping the lighter back into his pocket, Matthew took a couple of drags from it before removing the cigarette. "Look, your right, but it's my job to ask. I have a murder and until I rule them out everyone is a suspect. For all I know you might have killed the victim because he wouldn't return your feelings. "

LaFontaine turned to look up at the man beside him who was watching very closely. As if he was searching for something. Locking gazes he told Vincent, "My superiors will want me to close this ASAP, but I won't. I want to find David's killer and see that he or she gets what's coming to them."

Michael raised an eyebrow as he studied the man beside him. "So you're saying that it might not be a man?"

"Jealous women can be just as viscous as men. Your friend could have had a married man as his lover. The wife finds out and ... bang. A murder."

Michael turned away to think over what the detective just said. It makes sense. The killer could be anyone ... even someone they knew. Turning back to LaFontaine, Michael told him. "I don't know much. Every time his lover was going to come over he asked me to stay out for the night. Though one time I drove by, and I saw a nice fancy sports car in the driveway. But that's about it." The stuntman frowned as he remembered something. Turning he look back as the other man being interviewed by the other detective. "Dan ... didn't David have a journal or something?"

Fitzgerald turned to look at his friend. A frowned wrinkled his forehead. "I don't -". Daniel paused and the frown disappeared as he remembered, "Wait I think you are right he does keep one."

Matthew straightened and turning to the business man demanded, "Do you know where he kept it?"

Cool green eyes turned to the blond detective as a frosty voice told, "I believe so sir."

Softening his voice Matthew asked, "Could you help us to find it? It might offer some clues as to who might have killed him."

Green eyes searched his before a nod of consent was given. Matthew watched as the blond hair man stood and started to walk towards the house as the blond detective hurried to catch up.

Silently the two men entered the house and headed down the left hallway to the last door on the right. Daniel opened the door, allowing the detective to follow after him only to stop to look at the mess that greeted them. The room was turned upside down, drawers pulled from dressers and their contents spewed across the floor. The closet doors were open, showing that it was empty of clothing, the bed mattress and box springs flipped over, and books and papers mixed with the victim's other belongings on the floor.

Daniel could only stare at the mess as he whispered, "Good Lord!" At the detective's shout he snapped out of it, moving to the closet and kneeling down next to the door opening. With shaky hands he easily pulled one of the floorboards up, sighing in relief as he pulled out a couple of small books.

Matthew had followed the other man and watched the strange behavior of the man, until as he watched Daniel retrieved the journals from their hiding place. Squatting on his heels, he watch the man's face as he lovingly caressed the hard cover books. A pale face full of sorrow looked at him as the Daniel hesitantly offered the journals to him. LaFontaine shifted until one knee rested on the floor as he reached out to take the books. Their faces were so close that Matthew could smell sultry cologne while the other man's breath caressed his face.

Both men froze, lost in each other's gaze as they slowly moved towards one another. Drawn together in a way neither was prepared to acknowledge, until the noisy arrival of Wagner and Vincent to the room.

LaFontaine pulled back and turned to watch his partner enter the room before turning back to the other man. Matthew looked into Daniel's green eyes as he promised, "I will make sure nothing happens to them and I will personally see to it that they are returned to you."

Daniel saw the sincerity in the man's eyes and smiled a little watery smile as he released the books into the other's keeping. "I know you will keep your word Detective -"

Something in him wanting to hear that soft and sultry voice say his name had him prompting the other man. "LaFontaine. Matthew LaFontaine."

A shy smile crossed the other man's face as the soft cultured voice repeated his name. "LaFontaine."