Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-11-18
Words:
2,246
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
3
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,737

Jethro Jones' for Java

Summary:

After a long drive, all Gibbs wanted was a cup of coffee
Submitted through the Navy NCIS fic mailing list.

Chapter 1: N/A

Chapter Text

Gibbs just wanted to get out of town for two days. He needed a break that went beyond the theraputic value of carving a boat in his basement. It was getting close to being finished so the next step was to look for a marina. He drove up the coast and found enough of them to feed his fantasy of taking her out on weekends and was driving back to DC feeling refreshed and looking forward to getting back to work and truth be told, to his staff.

They were very much like family, although he'd kill anyone who said so. There was DiNozzo, every girl's nightmare of a brother. If he were the older, she'd get all his unwanted chores. If he were the younger of the two, he'd lie in wait to ambush at just the moment when her date was about to kiss her goodnight at the front door.Kate, the sister that is secretly adored by her brothers who over compensate by irritating her at every turn.MeGee, the most likible sibling and the most picked on. Abby, the one so strange and brilliant, her sibs are a little scared of her but, underneath the tats and leather beats a compassionate heart.And last but, not least, Ducky. The father who loves to tell stories yet, is himself a mystery. Kate had wondered what he looked like as a young man. Gibbs had found out quite by accident when he went to his home to pick him up when his car was in the shop for repairs. There were framed photos on the mantle. While he waited for the M.E. to make sure his mother was set for the day, Jethro edged over to take a look. There was one partially hidden behind another. He pulled it out. The figure wore a black turtleneck, had shaggy, flaxon hair, flawless skin and sculpted features but, there was no mistaking the eyes that stared directly into the camera. Donald Mallard had been damn near beautiful in his youth.

 

Gibbs came to an intersection where a flatbed truck had apparently took the turn too fast and dumped his load of baIed hay. The only alternative to getting past it was to turn onto a secondary road.He did so, thinking he'd find a street that would take him back to the highway past the accident. But there were only meadows around him. After traveling several miles and seeing no access back, he decided to go back. He was in the middle of a three-point turn when he heard a loud pop.

His right rear tire had a blow-out. He got out and came around to inspect the damage. It was swelteringly hot. The sky seemed to close around him as he breathed in the smell of an impending storm.

"Ahh, hell." he said and opened his trunk. He got out the spare tire, tools and a tarp to kneel on and set to the task of changing the flat. He had been thinking about stopping at the first opportunity and getting some coffee. Now,as he loosened the lug nuts, he really began craving his caffeine. To make matters worse, it started raining, lightly at first. He thought he could finish before it got heavy and didn't stop to put on the poncho he kept in the car for just such occasions. It changed suddenly to a downpour and he changed his mind. The rain not only made it harder to work, it hindered his already dicreased vision, slowing things down considerably.

Finally he was done and stood to stretch. He stepped back onto the dirtpacked shoulder which had turned to mud in the storm and he slid backwards into a twelve foot ditch. He landed face up in a shallow puddle, unhurt but steaming mad.

He cursed the truckdriver for bringing all this down upon him. Then tried to climb out, sliding back several times before he realized it wasn't going to work.

All of a sudden, he saw what he thought were headlights, and hoped the driver would stop. He breathed a sigh of relief when he heard a car door slam and a hooded head peak over the edge of the ditch.

"Are you hurt?" A female voice called.

"No." he yelled back.

"OK, let me get a line down to you."

"I'm not going anywhere." he mumbled under his breath.

A moment later, a line with a loop at the end was lowered down.He slipped it under his armpits and yanked to let her know he was ready.She must have hitched it to her bumper cause he was pulled smoothly to the top.

"Hi." said the woman in a hooded raincoat.

It was still pouring so she invited him to sit in her vehicle, a black Hummer. He packed up his tools, put them back in the trunk, took out a fresh dry tarp and brought it with him. She got in the driver's side and unlocked the door for him to enter. He spread the tarp on the passenger seat.

"That was considerate." she smiled and added. "I'm Catherine Branaugh."

"Jethro Gibbs." he replied reaching for his ID." NCIS." he added, showing it to her. "I didn't want to get your leather seats all muddy."

"When mud dries, it's just dirt which vacuums up but, thanks for not making me have to. Let me guess. You got detoured because of the hay truck and got a flat when you turned around."

"That pretty much covers it. What are you doing in such a deserted place?"

"I was driving back to DC when my mom called. The storm was brewing and she asked me to check on my uncle, her older brother. He has a small truck farm at the end of this road and sometimes gets power outages when it rains. He's something of a recluse so mom wanted me to make sure he was alright. What's your story?"

"Also driving back to DC after a weekend of looking for a place to dock my boat." he said, then paused. "You know, it's not the wisest idea to let strange men into your car."

"Leo." she called and a rather large doberman appeared between the highback seats.

"He's a beautiful dog." Gibbs commented sincerly.

"Thank you. I always take him when I travel. He loves roadtrips. And if he senses any aggresion toward me he'll attack so I don't worry about traveling alone." she said pleasantly. "So Agent Gibbs, would you like to accompany me to my uncle's place?"

"Sure, why not?" he said, thinking that maybe he'd be able to get a cup of coffee there. Cause now that he was out of danger of being drowned, he really want some caffeine.

She started the engine and pulled onto the road. They had only travelled about five miles when they turned into a large frontyard. Catherine cut the engine and pocketed the keys.

"I'll be right back." she said.

"I thought maybe he might have some coffee?" he asked, hopefully.

She giggled pretily.

"Not here but, we can discuss it when I get back." she said and went into the darkened farmhouse.

A moment later, lights appeared at the windows and Catherine returned.

"Everything OK?" he asked.

"Yeah, he's fine. So, you wanted some coffee." she said, reaching behind her for a thermos. She opened it and tilted it down into the cup/lid but nothing came out.

"Sorry, I guess I drank more than I thought."

"You know this area pretty well?" he asked.

"Yes, and I'll tell you what." she said, guessing his intention. "I'll drive you back to your car and you can follow me to a diner I know that serves a great cuppa joe."

"Oh bless you." he said wondering why she was being so nice.

A half hour later both vehicles pulled in front of a small retro style diner. Catherine made sure Leo was alright, cracked the window a bit and went inside. Gibbs shucked out of his poncho, his clothing mostly dry by now and headed for a booth. Each had hooks for coats. He hung his and waited while she unbuttoned hers so he could hang it too. A waitress came over and asked if they wanted coffee. He tilted his head to one side in an asking gesture. Catherine nodded and he held up two fingers. She lowered the hood and he saw her for the first time.She had flaming red hair, green eyes and a sprinkling of freckles across her nose.

He slid into the seat, she did the same and as steaming mugs were placed in front of them he thought this moment was worth all the havoc this day had wrecked on him.

The End.