Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
7,959
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
904

Unspoken Truths

Summary:

Rating: All Ages
Season: SG-1 Season Five
Related SG-1 Episode(s): 522 Revelations
Featured Character(s): Jack ONeill, Samantha Carter, Tealc
Pairing(s): Sam/Jack
Summary: Jack, Sam, and Teal'c spend an evening together as friends and teammates. As they try to deal with the new reality of life without Daniel, unspoken truths begin to find their way to the surface.
Author Notes: "Unspoken Truths" is the 43rd story in a very long series that is still being written. This story follows "Just As I Am". This story is not really a sequel to my last one, but it will follow the same context, and in a sense, complete some unfinished things from my previous story. I hope that you are finding my stories are bringing a new light to the episode(s) they are based on, and that you are enjoying the approach I take with each one. Thank you for continuing to follow and support my series. Enjoy this latest one! And as always, your feedback is greatly appreciated! As always, you can find all my stories (in order)at my site: http://www.suzfanfiction.com/

Work Text:

Unspoken Truths
by Suz W.
Suz@suzfanfiction.com

Author Notes: "Unspoken Truths" is the 43rd story in a very long series that is still being written. This story follows "Just As I Am". This story is not really a sequel to my last one, but it will follow the same context, and in a sense, complete some unfinished things from my previous story. I hope that you are finding my stories are bringing a new light to the episode(s) they are based on, and that you are enjoying the approach I take with each one. Thank you for continuing to follow and support my series. Enjoy this latest one! And as always, your feedback is greatly appreciated! As always, you can find all my stories (in order)at my site: http://www.suzfanfiction.com/

 

The early evening air was warmer than it had been in the past few weeks, carrying some moderate humidity that only signaled that Spring was about to give way to the new summer season. It was the beginning of May, and the air was filled with the combined scents of fresh mountain pine and a variety of floral aromas. Complimenting the soft warm air, a cool gentle breeze flowed easily through the trees, inspiring the birds to sing sweetly from their branches.

Sam, Jack, and Teal'c sat outside together, gathered around a comfortable table on the patio of a popular caf. They had just finished a very satisfying meal, one that left their stomachs full but not too overstuffed. Of course Jack had insisted that they partake in dessert, not wanting to miss the most important course of the meal. Sam had tried to pass on it, but was promptly given a "you must be crazy" look from Jack, who then immediately ordered for her.

As they waited for their desserts, Sam stretched out in her chair, only half listening to Jack as he explained to Teal'c the importance of a indulging in sweets. Sam closed her eyes for a moment and took in the sounds of life all around her. The soft talking of the those dining around them, the birds singing in the trees, and the cars passing by occasionally on the street outside of where they were eating. It gave her heart a lift and reminded her that life went on. The sadness from the past few weeks seemed to be easing off slightly, though she knew that it would never be permanently gone from her heart. Missing Daniel was just going to become apart of her daily routine, knowing that she would feel his absence even stronger when SG-1 did anything together. And tonight was no exception.

A happy laugh from a child nearby caused Sam to open her eyes and look over. A little boy no more than two was playing on the ground at his mother's feet. He was smiling brightly as he sat entranced, watching as a snail slowly made its way past him, leaving a slimy trail that softly glowed in the candle light coming from the torches that lit the patio where they were seated. His innocence was infectious, causing Sam to smile as she watched him play. And then she thought of the child she had lost, which usually occurred on a daily basis, and suddenly felt that familiar emptiness inside her heart, which was quickly replaced by a sharp pain that had her eyes stinging with tears.

Jack's voice suddenly penetrated her ears. "Carter, you still with us?"

Sam squeezed her eyes shut in order to force back the tears before turning her attention back to them. Looking at Jack, she gave him a quick smile, but it failed to wipe away the concerned expression on Jack's face. Clearing her throat, she did her best to cover her emotions. "Sorry...I didn't mean to fade out on the conversation, but I guess I was just lost in thought."

Jack didn't say anything for a moment, but simply studied her, a small frown setting the lines around his mouth. Finally, he spoke up. "What were you lost in thought about? Care to share with the rest of the class?" Jack could see that she was upset, and he sensed that it was more than just missing Daniel. And the uncomfortable ache in the pit of his stomach told him he knew what it was about.

Sam shrugged. "Nothing really. I guess I was just looking at that park over there, remembering the time we had that fun evening together. Remember?"

Teal'c spoke up first. "Indeed. That was a memorable time. You attempted to teach me the traditional form of your dance."

Jack motioned in Sam's direction with a knowing grin. "Yeah, and as I recall, you stepped on her feet more than anything else. I had to come to her rescue and show you how it was really done." Jack looked over at Sam, who was blushing just enough to make his heart flutter. That had been a wonderful evening for both of them, even though at that point they had been just friends.

Teal'c bowed his head in agreement. "You are a great dancer, O'Neill. Both you and Major Carter made it look easy."

Sam nervously brushed away a loose strand of her hair that had fallen forward and was tickling her brow. Softening her voice, she continued the conversation. "It was fun, especially having all four of us there. It was rare to see Daniel open up so much and really have a good time."

At the mention of Daniel's name, and uncomfortable silence overcame the table and no one knew quite what to say next. It was Jack who finally spoke up. "Yeah, well, he was always too stuffy for his own good."

Sam quickly glanced over at Jack, looking from him to Teal'c and then back again. "Am I the only one who has been affected by his death?" Her voice was low and shaky, but she took a breath and continued, wanting to get this off her chest. "I'm sorry, but it just seems like the two of you don't even miss him. You're just going on with life as if nothing happened."

Jack started to interrupt. "Carter..."

Sam shook her head. "No, just let me get this said. Daniel was apart of our team, and rather you believe it or not, a vital one. I just don't understand how you can just sit there and pretend to be unaffected by it."

Jack could feel himself edging towards becoming irritated. Not wanting to lose control, he did his best to keep his voice steady and his eye contact strong. "Look, Carter, no one is saying that we're not unaffected by it."

Sam shot his look right back at him. "Well, then why is it every time Daniel's name is brought up, you rather avoid the subject completely by refusing to discuss him, or just joke about him like he's standing right next to you?"

Jack wasn't sure where this was coming from, but he wanted to deal with it before it got out of hand. "We all have different emotions, Carter. Hell, it's practically a miracle if I can ever get Teal'c to crack a smile at one of my jokes. And it's not like they're not funny...right Teal'c?" When Teal'c only looked at him with that same placid stare, Jack repeated his question. "Right, Teal'c...they're funny?"

Sam wasn't in the mood for one of Jack's sarcastic moods. "Sir, the point is..."

Jack whipped his head back at Sam and made hard eye contact. "No, the point is, Carter, you're out of line!"

Sam took in a breath at the coldness of his tone. The world felt like it was closing in around her and she had to escape. Pushing back her chair, she placed her napkin on the table and stood up. Trying to keep her voice steady, she spoke up with as much strength as she could, which wasn't much at that moment. "I'm sorry, but I think I've just lost my appetite for dessert. I'm sure the two of you can finish mine off."

Jack could feel his heart squeezing in his chest. He hadn't meant what he'd said or the harshness in which he'd said it. "Sam..."

Sam just shook her head, her eyes moist with new forming tears. "I'm going for a walk. Don't bother waiting for me. I'll catch a ride back to the base in a taxi. Thanks for dinner." With that said, she turned her back and started her retreat from the table.

Jack stood up, probably a little too quickly. "Damnit, Carter, just wait a minute!" When she only kept walking away, her pace quickening at the sound of his objection, Jack started to follow her when Teal'c's voice floated over to him.

"O'Neill, let her go. She may need time to sort through what has been said here." Teal'c was also standing, and as Jack looked back at him, he caught the stares of a few other guests dining around them. Not wanting to attract too much attention, he reluctantly sat back down. From his vantage point, he was able to see her leave the patio, cross over the street and enter the park. Though she never turned around to look back at him, he never let his gaze wander from her until the shadows of the trees and the dusk of the new evening had swallowed her up.

Teal'c studied Jack as he watched his face transform into an obvious display of concern over what had just happened. Not wanting to let on that he was aware of the intimate relationship between O'Neill and Major Carter, Teal'c thought about the best way to console his friend without giving too much away. Looking in the direction that Major Carter had gone, he began. "On Chulak, it is not customary to mourn the loss of one close to you. We instead are taught to rejoice in the life they led and find celebration in the fact that their spirit is now free. I explained this to Major Carter but a few days ago in an attempt to bring understanding of my feelings over the loss of Daniel Jackson."

Jack pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yeah, well, it obviously didn't go over very well."

Teal'c's expression became slightly harder. "It did not."

Jack blew out a breath of air in frustration. He knew that Sam had taken Daniel's death harder than the rest of them, but he'd been sure she was getting over it. He hadn't meant to yell at her. Hurting her was the last thing he ever wanted to do, and knowing he had just done it, left a heavy weight in his heart and head. Looking over at Teal'c, he could see that he was studying him. Jack knew that Teal'c wasn't trying to judge him, but he felt like he had to find some way of explaining what had just happened, even though he didn't fully understand it himself. Lowering his voice, he sat up in his chair and rested the bottom of his forearms on the table in front of him. "I wasn't trying to upset her. I really don't know what I said. I was simply cracking a joke about him, just like I always did when he was alive. Why was that so wrong?" Jack looked over at Teal'c, searching for answers.

Teal'c thought for a moment before answering. "It was not. But perhaps Major Carter was hoping that you would share more of a mourning period with her. Since such feelings do not come naturally to me, I cannot relate."

Jack interrupted. "So you don't feel any sadness about losing Daniel?"

Teal'c hesitated before answering, trying to summon up the right words. "Major Carter asked me the same thing you just did."

Jack replied. "And what did you tell her?"

Teal'c looked over at him. "I agreed with her that I would rather have him back."

Jack was stunned for a moment. He knew that Jaffa values ran deep, and for Teal'c to go against what he believed in about death said a lot. "So...you feel sadness about his death."

Teal'c promptly answered him. "No, I feel sadness for his absence as apart of our team...and for his friendship. Daniel Jackson and I conversed frequently. I felt that I knew him for who he was and not for just what he appeared to be."

Jack felt like he'd been slapped in the face. He knew Teal'c's blunt honesty was not meant to offend him, but it had all the same. And Jack could blame no one but himself. He'd never really taken the time to get to know Daniel. And though Jack would never admit it to anyone, he had rather enjoyed the banter that had gone on between them. But because of that, his feelings for who Daniel had really been were limited.

Hanging his head slightly, Jack traced the edge of the table with his right index finger as spoke up. "Well, I guess I'm the odd man out."

Teal'c directed a firm voice at him. "What are you referring to, O'Neill?"

Jack looked up briefly before shrugging slightly as he leaned back into his chair. "It means that I'm the black sheep of the family...the one that's different from all the rest...and out of the 'loop' of sympathy that everyone else is feeling about Daniel right now."

Teal'c studied Jack carefully. He could see that his friend was hurting, and most of that hurt was being self-inflicted. "I see." Hesitating a moment more, he then continued, his voice softer. "O'Neill, just because you do not feel the same sorrow as Major Carter, does not make you different. As I explained to both you and her, I feel his loss differently, but that doesn't mean I miss him any less."

Jack looked at him briefly. "Teal'c, I appreciate what you are doing, but Daniel and I shared a unique relationship, different from anyone else. I don't expect you to understand what's going on inside my head. Hell, I can't even explain it!" Getting frustrated, he blew out a breath and allowed his gaze to drift over to the park, now dark except for the light coming from the streetlamps, outlining the edges in a soft yellow glow. He knew the park was lit around where the gazebo was located, but he was still worried about Sam. She had been through so much, and the last thing she needed was to be alone. But that's exactly the position she was in right now...and he had put her there.

Teal'c used the momentary pause to speak up. "Perhaps you should not try to explain it, but allow yourself to feel it. You may be unconsciously blocking out the ability to express the emotions to which you are truly feeling."

Jack just stared back at Teal'c. "Since when you did become the physiatrist in the group?" At Teal'c's confused expression, Jack just waved off the comment he had made. "Forget it. I get the general idea. But right now, expressing my emotions isn't going to help Carter." Standing up, he looked at Teal'c. "Would it be okay if I call you a cab? I really want to go and make peace with Carter, if I can find her."

Teal'c bowed his head. "I will be fine, O'Neill. A cab will not be necessary. It is a warm night out and the base is not far from here."

Jack furrowed his brow. "T, it's almost 10 miles away. That's a bit far don't you think?"

Teal'c answered him in a matter-of-fact tone. "I do not. Is that not the average distance we travel off world?"

Jack scratched his head. "Yeah, but there we really don't have a choice. Here you do. And besides...we don't usually have to climb mountains."

Teal'c smiled at his friend. "I thank you for your concern, but I will be fine, O'Neill. Go find Major Carter. She needs you."

Jack wasn't sure, but he could have sworn that he caught a hint of knowing in those last words. But how could Teal'c know about his and Sam's relationship? Shrugging it off, he put a hand on Teal's shoulder. "Okay buddy, but be careful. I'll see you back at the base."

Teal'c bowed his head once again. "Indeed." And with that, he started out in the same direction that Sam had, except when he reached the sidewalk, he turned to the right and headed in the direction of the base.

After paying the bill and leaving a tip, Jack turned and faced the park. "Okay, Sam," he said quietly to himself, "where are you?" Starting out across the street, he found his heart racing slightly and his palms damp with anxiety. He knew he would feel better when he found her, but the question in his heart that had him worried was if he would find her. And if he didn't, where would he look next?

As Jack reached the edge of the park, a gust of wind suddenly whipped up underneath him. Turning his face into the wind, he could almost feel the barometric change in the pressure around him. Looking up at the sky, he couldn't make out any stars to guide his way. A late spring storm was brewing, and by the feel of the increased humidity, he guessed that it would be dumping a lot of rain. Not wanting to get caught out in it, he quickened his pace as he entered the park, hoping it wouldn't take long to find Sam.

As he continued to move forward, he carefully watched the dark shadows around him. The treetops danced in the wind, whistling tunes as the wind tossed the branches back and forth. The path he was following was well paved, illuminated by the small flashlight he kept in his pocket.

The further he went, the more he noticed a subtle change in the shadows around him. The quiet of his surroundings began to hold sounds of soft music, floating on the breeze like a soft feather. It was coming from somewhere ahead of him, and as his paced quickened, he also began to see the softest hint of light. Making his way further down the path, he finally emerged from the shadows and onto a large grassy knoll area where he, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel had picnicked that one evening. The gazebo that had held the orchestra was lit up, this time displaying a quartet of violinists. A handful of people were seated around the gazebo, listening to the melodic sounds of classical favorites.

As the violins sung sweetly against the dark of night, Jack proceeded forward, his eyes moving from one person to the next, hoping to spot Sam. He knew that she loved to listen to this kind of stuff. Be it classical or not, he had figured out since they'd been together that she would sit quietly when she could in her living room, the lights low, doing nothing more than simply listening. Sometimes, he'd come in quietly enough that she wouldn't know he was there. He would then simply sit down on the edge of a chair and watch her facial features change in time with the music, each movement holding a different truth or memory for her. Her face was always beautiful and her expression serene, something he didn't usually see. And then she would open her eyes and meet Jack's face, his eyes capturing hers. It was in these moments that he could almost feel their souls connect, a feeling that was always overwhelming. And then he'd find himself more in love with Sam than he ever thought possible for him to feel.

Moving past some of the people scattered around the gazebo, he continued to search for her, hoping to find that same beautiful face watching the musicians. But when he had made a complete sweep around the gazebo, his shoulders sunk slightly in disappointment. He was sure that if Sam had stumbled upon this mini concert like he had, she would have stayed and listened, more than likely to reduce the stress level that he had put her under. But since she wasn't there, the fear returned of how he was suppose to find her.

With the air producing momentary gusts of wind against his face, and the music swirling around him like an echoing dream, Jack felt incredibly alone. Watching a nearby couple snuggle close for affection and protection against the wind, Jack suddenly realized that he had been nothing but cold in his emotions, not only Sam, but everyone else regarding Daniel and his death. The raw bitterness was all too familiar, and he didn't like the feeling of it.

Lost in thought, he failed to hear the approach of someone behind him. "Hey." Sam's voice had Jack whipping around so fast he almost became dizzy. Capturing her eyes, they stared at each other in silence for a few moments as unspoken truths emanated between them. Jack finally found his voice. "Hey." His voice was soft and full of the raw emotion he was feeling.

Sam gave him a small smile as she hugged her arms to her chest. "Look, Jack..."

Jack shook his head. "No, Sam, this needs to come from me first."

Sam gave him a stunned look. Not sure how to respond, she just nodded her head.

Jack blew out a breath. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to hurt you. You know that I would never intentionally do that. I love you too damn much. But you were right. I haven't been handling this whole Daniel thing very well, and it's not only hurting you, but everyone around me that I care about."

Sam was overwhelmed by his honesty. His admission was so unexpected. She never expected to get such an easy confession from him. But she loved him, and she knew that he would be looking for her after what had happen at the caf. And even though she knew that he was extremely stubborn and hard headed, she was determined to work something out. She didn't want a wall put up between them; even though Daniel wasn't aware of their relationship, she knew that Daniel wouldn't have wanted this.

So when she saw him emerge from the shadows of the trees and proceed down the grassy knoll towards the gazebo, she made the decision to try. He hadn't seen her because she had been sitting by a large maple tree that blocked her from his vantage point. He had looked so lost, so lonely. It was a vulnerable side of him that she had only seen a few times...mainly when he talked about Charlie.

Realizing that she hadn't said anything in response, Sam blinked a several times before finally speaking. "Jack," she said, keeping her voice soft, "I didn't mean to make you think that your feelings were wrong. I know that we all have different ways of dealing with things that happen in life. It's just that Daniel was apart of us...a teammate and friend. I guess I expected you to grieve a little more than you have."

Jack ran a hand through his hair. "I guess when Charlie died, I learned to close myself off to emotions. I guess I figured that if I made my heart cold to emotions such as grief, I wouldn't have to go through it again. But I was wrong."

Sam took a step closer. "Wrong about feeling grief?"

Jack looked up into her eyes. "Wrong about a lot of emotions...ones that I had sworn off feeling again...until I met you." Jack let the moment soak in before continuing, taking Sam's hand in his. "You showed me what it was like to not only love again, but to live...to know how to laugh and really mean it; to find hope in the darkest of moments."

Sam smiled up at him. "This doesn't sound like the big bad Colonel Jack O'Neill...the man always ready to fight the Goa'uld and win."

Jack pulled her close, not caring about the few people scattered around them. But he was fairly certain that those same people didn't care about them either. "Are you making fun of me? I open my heart and you jest."

Sam's arms held him a little tighter. "I'm not making fun of you...I think it's wonderful...just unexpected. But if this is what your grief brings, I'm all for it."

Jack rolled his eyes playfully at her. "This is me loving you. You have done this to me...not that I'm complaining." Smiling at her for a moment, he let it fall into a more serious line. "As for Daniel..."

Sam put a finger to his lips. "Jack, you don't have to explain. I'm not going to push you. I'm sorry that I tried...it's just that I was concerned. You were acting so different, so distant."

Jack kissed her finger as she pulled it away. "I was distant. Truth be told, I was an ass. But I want you to know that I do feel Daniel's loss. In quiet moments, when I'm alone, I feel it. We maybe didn't always get along, but I respected Daniel for what he did and for who he was." Pulling her into his embrace, he kissed the side of her head and whispered softly to her. "But trust me when I say that I believe wherever he is, he's having the time of his life."

Sam pulled back and gave him a curious look. "You say that as if you know something. What aren't you telling me?"

Jack smiled at her. "It's just another feeling. Call it a hunch." Leaning down, he covered her lips with his own, pulling passion from his soul as he drove his kiss deeper. Relishing in the moment between them, they began to sway in time with the music. As they continued to softly explore each other's lips, the quartet began to play "I'll Be Seeing You":

I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces
All day through.
In that small caf,
The park across the way,
The children's carousel,
The chestnut trees,
A wishing well.
I'll be seeing you in every lovely summer's day,
In everything that's light and gay,
I'll always think of you that way.
I'll find you in the morning sun
And when the night is new.
I'll be looking at the moon...
But I'll be seeing you.

As the violins sung sweetly in the night, nothing else existed for Jack and Sam. They had danced in this park once before, but this time, it meant so much more. And as the music continued to play, gentle raindrops began to fall from the sky. As the people around them gathered up their things and quickly made their way out of the area, Sam and Jack didn't flinch. Allowing the rain to slowly soak their bodies, they just clung to each other as the violins continued to play.

The rain was warm, running down their face and arms like soft tears, sending chills down Sam's spine. The wind had stopped, making everything seem at peace. As the music ended, the rain continued to fall, but Sam and Jack never let go of one another. It was as if the world had ceased just for them, allowing them the time they needed to heal.

After a few more minutes passed, they allowed reality to reach them again. Jack took his hands and gently ran them through Sam's wet hair, slicking it back from her face as he kissed the raindrops from her forehead. Sam, in turn, ran her hands over his now wet muscled torso, his shirt clinging to his skin like Saran Wrap.

Sam softly purred as Jack leaned back to smile at her. "Remind me next time we take a shower together...to start out with our clothes on. You're incredibly sexy."

Jack gave her one of his sexy half smiles. "I think I could be persuaded to do that...of course, I'd like to just try it out here."

Sam kissed his lips. "As would I. But with our luck, we'd be caught like guilty high schoolers making out in the back of a car."

Jack gave a small laugh, wiping away some of the rain from his face. "Now that's something else we need to try out." Taking her hand, he squeezed it gently as he turned and began to make his way back from where he had come. Walking side by side, he relished in the feel of her warm, soft hand in his own, moist from the continually falling rain. It felt so innocent, so unlike who they were on the base, and he loved it. It made their relationship feel so much more real and alive, as if they were allowed to live it.

Five minutes later, they had reached the entrance of the park that was located across from the caf. The street was relatively empty except for an occasional car passing on the rain soaked street. The streetlamps were reflected in the pools of water that had begun to form on the sidewalk, and as the rain fell, it appeared almost surreal in the yellowish light coming from each lamp.

Jack looked at the tree they were standing next to. The branches were providing them with some protection from the rain, though the rain had begun to slow in its descent from the clouds. Taking out a folding knife from his pocket, he opened the blade and struck the thick bark that was coating the tree.

Sam turned her head at the sound. Curious, she moved closer. "What are you up to?"

Jack shrugged lightly. "Well, since we've been acting like we don't have a care in the world, I thought we could mark the occasion by doing something I've always wanted to do, but never have."

Sam linked her arm through his. "And what is that?" Her voice was light and playful, and she enjoyed the feeling.

Jack continued working. "Carving our initials into the tree, to remember this night and what it means to us."

Sam was touched. Watching him work at their initials, she squeezed his arm. "I love you."

Jack paused for a moment and looked back at her. "And I love you." Kissing the tip of her nose, he turned back to his work.

Sam gave his arm another quick squeeze before releasing it. Moving out from under the canopy of the tree, she lifted her face to the now misting rain, letting it run down her cheeks and neck. It was still relatively early in the evening, but the storm that had rolled in had brought the darkness early, causing those who had been enjoying the warm spring evening to retreat into the comfort of the caf.

As Sam stood in the rain, the peace and quiet was disturbed by the familiar sound of an approaching car. Suddenly, one of the doors to the caf burst open and a small child ran out into the rain, her high-pitched laughter piercing the night. She was running, her small feet splashing in the puddles around her. As she continued to run towards the street, a woman, presumably her mother, came running out of the caf after her.

"Grace, stop!" But at her mother's plea, the little girl only ran faster, obviously loving the game of keep away. As Sam looked on, she suddenly remembered the approaching car. The little girl was running towards her, ignoring her mother's growing pleas. As she stepped on the street and moved forward, Sam's heart jumped into her throat. Bright headlights appeared from around the bend, moving at a steady speed towards her.

Just then, Grace tripped over her own feet and fell, scrapping her hands and knees on the rough pavement. Letting out a tremendous cry, she was oblivious to the approaching car. With the child on the ground, the car was unable to see the danger ahead of it. Grace's mother, still too far away to do any good, was now hysterical.

Sam sprung forward, running hard as she splashed onto the street. Grace's cries were ringing in Sam's ears as she ran for the child, her mind ablaze with so many thoughts. The adrenaline that was now pumping through her system was intense, driving her on. The car was approaching fast, and as Sam entered the beam from its headlights, the driver, now only a few hundred feet away, laid on his horn.

Tires squealed against the wet pavement as the driver slammed on the brakes. But the force of the brakes on the tires caused them to skid and put the car into a fishtail motion as it continued forward. Sam could hear the mother screaming Grace's name as the little girl just stared into the oncoming headlights like a frozen deer. Sam could also register Jack yelling her name, his voice growing louder with fear.

Sam, reaching Grace, scooped her up into her arms and held her against her chest. But when she looked at the car, it was now only inches from them. It was too late to run...to late to escape. She hadn't been quick enough. And as she braced herself for an impact, shielding the little girl in her arms, they were both suddenly grabbed from behind by strong arms and yanked backwards at an incredible rate. They stumbled back and then Sam lost her footing and fell back into Jack, who had managed to pull them far enough away to avoid being hit by the car, but only by precious seconds.

The car finally came to a screeching halt, stopping diagonally from the direction it had been going, right where Sam and Grace had been standing. The driver, in a panic, got out of the car, visibly shaken. Jack sat up and immediately crawled to Sam, who was still lying on the ground with the little girl in her arms. "Oh my God, Sam! Are you alright?"

Sam could feel Jack's strong hands as he placed one under her head and one on her arm. Nodding, she suddenly remembered the child clutched in her arms. Sitting up slowly with the help of Jack, who supported her from behind, she eased her grip in order to look Grace over. She was whimpering softly, the shock of what had just happened still so fresh in her young mind. Her mother, frantic with fear and shock, stumbled over to them, calling her child's name. As soon as the little girl registered her mother's voice, she began crying hysterically.

Sam looked up at the mother as she handed the child over to her. "I think she's okay, other than the scraps she received from her fall." As the mother took the child in her arms, she held her tightly against her, hugging her for dear life before looking her over. Tears of happiness ran down her cheeks as she tried to soothe the little girl.

Jack helped Sam to her feet, visually check her over as he did for any major injuries. The driver, who had been standing a few feet away, finally spoke. "I'm sorry. I didn't see the little girl...or anyone until you stepped in front of my car. Are you okay?"

Sam nodded. "I think everything's okay." Sam looked over at the mother. "Is she okay?"

The woman, who had managed to get her daughter's cries down to a gentle whine, smiled. "Yes, thanks to you. I can't believe she got away from me like that. If you hadn't been there..."

Jack spoke up. "We're just glad we were." Jack released Sam for a moment and moved over to the little girl. Bending over to become eye level with her, he spoke to her softly as she laid her head on her mother's shoulder. Her eyes, still full of alligator tears, watched Jack with curiosity. "Hey there, Grace is it?" When the little girl nodded her head slowly, Jack continued. "Well, I'm Jack and that's Sam. Now can you promise us not to run out on the street like that again without holding someone's hand? Because it's dangerous, and someone might not always be there to help you like Sam was. Okay?"

The little girl nodded, her big brown eyes wide as she listened to him. "Okay." Her voice was tiny and soft, and her innocence had Jack grinning from ear to ear. Standing up, Jack brushed a strand of hair away from her round face. It was long and curly, colored in a rich brown to match her eyes. She couldn't have been more than four, but she was being so brave considering what had just happened.

Jack decided to say one more thing to her. "You know, I had a little boy once your age, and we always like to play in the backyard. Maybe you and your mom can play in your backyard tomorrow. That's a safer place to run around in."

Grace's mother whispered into her daughter's ear. "What do you say?"

Grace gave Jack a quivering smile. "Okay, Jack."

Jack smiled at her once again and then moved back to Sam's side. The woman wiped some of the rain off her face, slicking back her now wet hair. The rain had all but subsided to a drizzle, but she had been in it long enough to get wet. Hugging her daughter close again, she cast a grateful look at Sam and Jack. "Thank you so much...I can't believe how lucky we were to have you both there." Looking at Sam, she continued. "Thank you for acting so quickly. You saved her life, and I don't think I could ever repay you for that."

Sam gave her a smile. "Just keep her safe."

Grace's mother nodded as she began to choke with emotion again. Telling Grace to wave goodbye, they turned and made their way back to the caf. Grace watched them over her mother's shoulder as she was carried away. Then she lifted one of her tiny hands and waved again. Jack waved back, and then turned to the driver, who was still standing there, unsure of what to do.

The man cleared his voice. "Um, again, I'm really sorry. Is there anything I need to do?"

Jack stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Drive home safely. Are you okay enough to do that?" He could see that the man was still shaken up by what had just happened. Hell, if it had been him who had almost hit a woman and a child, he probably would have thrown up.

The man nodded and haphazardly waved as he retreated to his car. "Thanks again for your help." Without knowing anything else to say, he got into his car, started it up, and drove slowly away.

Jack turned around and looked at Sam. She looked okay, but Jack knew that she was putting on her soldier front. It's what he was doing. Walking up to her, he took her hand and squeezed it, letting her know he understood and that he was there for her. "Let's get you home."

Sam nodded numbly, not sure what else to feel. All she knew was that she could feel Jack's hand in hers, leading her to where she would be safe.

An hour later, she and Jack were sitting on her couch, both warm and dry after taking showers, cleaning off the dirt, mud, muck and rain from their bodies. Jack watched Sam as she sat next to him, wrapped in her terry cloth robe, her hair cleanly slicked back and her hands wrapped around a warm cup of coffee. They hadn't said much to each other the whole way back to her house, and the silence continued as they listened deafly to the T.V. that was playing in front of them.

Jack didn't know when to let down or break down the protective front around each of them. But he knew that something had to be said. There was too much emotion between them over what had happened tonight not to work through it. But how was he supposed to do it?

As Jack was searching for the way to break their barriers, Sam was just trying to keep everything that had happened straight. Staring into her coffee cup, she finally managed a few words, weak though they were. "Jack," she said, unable to draw her eyes from the black liquid steaming up from the cup in her hands.

Jack almost jumped as if he'd been shot. Carefully setting his coffee cup down, he shifted his body a little closer to her. "I'm here."

Sam sniffed softly. Not sure of where to begin, she searched for the right words. "She could have...died. I can't believe how close the car came. I thought I would have been faster than that. I mean, what good is all of my training if I can't react faster than that? I just..."

Jack put his hand on her arm. She was shaking, her muscles quivering under his touch. "Sam, it's okay."

Sam suddenly lifted her head, looking up at the ceiling. Tears streamed down her face, reflected in the light from the room. "No, it's not, Jack. Why..."

In one swift motion, Jack took the coffee cup from her hands, placed it on the coffee table, and turned her body towards him, gripping each of her arms with firm hands. "Why nothing, Sam! You saved that little girl, and that's what matters."

Sam shook her head. "No, you saved us! If you hadn't pulled us to safety, she would have died!"

Jack's voice grew stronger. "And you would have too! Don't you understand what you did to me when I saw you running after her like that? And then to watch that car barreling down on both of you ...I didn't know if I would be able to reach you in time...I really didn't know. God, I felt my heart literally stop." Pausing to take a breath, he lowered his voice. "I can't lose you. Don't you understand how much you mean to me...to my life? Losing Charlie almost killed me...and losing you, especially like with what could have happened tonight, would have killed me. So stop blaming yourself. You're okay, Grace is okay, and we're okay..."

Sam looked down at Jack, and when her eyes met his, she finally let her emotions go. With tears now flowing freely, she covered her face, crying into her hands. Feeling Jack's arms come around her, holding her close, she clung to him, happy to feel his strength once again supporting her. Finding her voice, she spoke softly into his shoulder. "I know. It's just that when I saw that little girl in danger...I guess I just didn't want anything to happen to her. I thought about Charlie...about the child we lost...I just couldn't take it. Besides, I would like to think that I would be able to react that way for anyone."

Jack buried his head deeper into her neck, kissing it softly. "You would have, just as I would have. That's one of the reasons why we're so good together."

Sam pulled back and looked at him. Searching his face, she pressed one hand to his cheek, giving him a quick smile as he reached down and wiped away what remained of her tears. "Thank you for being there tonight when I needed you the most...for always being there, even when I may think I don't need help."

Jack kissed her lips, loving the soft feel of them on his own. "I wouldn't have been anywhere else. Remember, this is me you're talking to...Jack. Not Colonel O'Neill. We're not on the base or on duty. It's okay to let the soldier front go."

Sam nodded, pushing a strand of her hair behind one of her ears. "It's just hard to sometimes. Even when we're not on the base...if we're around others, we still have to pretend...hold up the faade. I guess it's just easier to fall into that pattern than this one."

Jack fell silent for a moment, mulling over what she had just said. Breathing in deeply, he sat back against the couch. "Oh, Sam, I'm sorry."

Sam snuggled in next to him. "Sorry? Sorry for what, Jack?"

Jack shrugged. "Sorry for this...for not being able to show the world how much I love you."

Sam took her hand and turned his face to hers. "Jack, there is nothing for you to be sorry for. We have to do this...at least for right now. The world needs us more than we need to be open about our relationship."

Jack put his hand on hers. Looking directly into her eyes, he spoke up with a firm voice. "I promise you...one day, Sam, we will be together for the world to see."

Sam gave him a smile. "I know. But even if we never get that chance...to love each other publicly, I will always love you privately." And then she kissed him, their lips meeting as if to seal that promise to each other.

And then Jack took her into the bedroom, where they celebrated their love with an immense passion. It was their time, and for them, the world did not exist. They had finally dealt with the acceptance of Daniel's death, each in their own way. And though they knew that it would not be the last challenge to come, they would face each one together, hoping that the strength of their love would guide them through.

suz@suzfanfiction.com
http://www.suzfanfiction.com