Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
724
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
157
Hits:
2,010

Home By Midnight

Summary:

Notes: URBAN LEGEND CHALLENGE, AGAIN!! New challenge, different fandom. I used "The Sentinel" for the last one. ("Calling Out to You" posted elsewhere.) OC's POV to start. Summary: The guys help a young woman get home. Warnings: Death fic (sort of).

Work Text:

Title: Home By Midnight

Author/pseudonym: Lokemele

Fandom: Invisible Man (SCI-FI, 2000)

Pairing: Bobby Hobbes/Darien Fawkes

Rating: FRC

Status: new, complete

Archive: Yes, please; just let me know where it's at.

E-mail address for feedback:: duckysdoll@verizon.net

Series/Sequel: No

Other websites: None

Disclaimers: Invisible Man characters are copyright Stu Segall Productions. Original characters are mine; please don't use them without giving me credit. Any resemblance to any person alive or dead is strictly coincidental.

Notes: URBAN LEGEND CHALLENGE, AGAIN!! New challenge, different fandom. I used "The Sentinel" for the last one. ("Calling Out to You" posted elsewhere.) OC's POV to start.

Summary: The guys help a young woman get home.

Warnings: Death fic (sort of).

 

Home By Midnight
By Lokemele

 

"It was so nice of you to give me a lift," I say to the two men in the van. "I don't normally hitch rides, but I'm not usually out this late. I'm glad you came along before I got soaked to the skin."

"It's no problem," the older of the pair, who was driving, told me with a smile. "We are glad to be of service."

I suppose I should have been nervous riding with two complete strangers -- you hear all the time about the bad things which can happen -- but some I just knew I could trust these guys. I think it's their eyes -- they're so warm and friendly and brown, like melted chocolate. The older one's -- he said his name was Bobby Hobbes -- are like sweet milk chocolate, while the young one's -- Darien Fawkes -- are darker, like baker's chocolate.

I'm sitting behind and between them, listening to them bantering to each other and watching the wipers trying to rid the windshield of the driving rain.

"I think you're going too fast," Darien started.

"What do you mean," Bobby replied, "I'm going too fast? I'm not going too fast."

"You're going too fast."

"I'm not going too fast -- I'm an excellent driver. Am I driving too fast?" The question was directed to me, and I wisely shrugged my shoulders noncommittally. "You see? *She* thinks my driving's just fine."

"She didn't say *anything*."

"She didn't have to."

"She's probably too scared to say anything."

"She's not too scared -- she's not saying anything 'cause she has nothing to say. Isn't that right?"

I nod, remaining silent as the friendly argument continues to our destination, and the pair get so caught up they forget I'm there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The van pulled up in front of the house and Hobbes said, "There you go -- home safe and sound." He turned to say a cheerful goodnight to the young woman --

only to discover the rear of the van empty.

Neither man had heard the side or rear doors open.

"Did you --?" he asked Fawkes, gesturing to the empty space.

"Why would I have done that? You know how the Keep is about only using the stuff on missions."

"Yeah, well, she didn't just disappear into thin air by herself, now did she?"

The two men continued to argue, seriously now, until Fawkes was startled by a rapping sound on his window. He rolled it down to find an older woman standing beside the van.

"You brought her home, didn't you?" the woman said. "Come inside -- I'd rather not stand in the rain and tell it."

They entered the house and the woman insisted on serving them some hot coffee. Hobbes noticed it first, and mentioned it to Fawkes when the woman, who introduced herself as Lareina Costas, went to get the coffee.

A framed photo of the young woman sat on a small table between two wood and gilt crucifixes.

"My daughter Jesse," Mrs. Costas explained. "She died 5 years ago tonight, in a traffic accident where you picked her up. She was driving too fast for the weather -- it was raining very hard -- lost control of her car, rolled and went over the cliff. The car exploded on impact -- she was killed instantly. She'd promised me she'd be home by midnight."

 

FINIS
Hope you liked it, Peja!!