Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Quarreling With Fate
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-06
Words:
16,519
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,600

Quarreling with Fate

Summary:

Two young men, one a powerful mage and the other a fey prince, each try to secure their own futures.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: One

Chapter Text

Title: Quarreling with Fate
Author: Flintstriker
E-mail: Flintstriker@Charter.net

Category: Fantasy, hurt/comfort, angst, friendship
Rating: PG-13
Warning: mild language

Characters: The main characters are Krycek and Mulder. Scully, Skinner, The Smoking Man, and others appear. Some names are changed to fit the fantasy universe. You'll be able to figure them out.

Summary: Two young men, one a powerful mage and the other a fey prince, each try to secure their own futures.

Author Notes: Special appreciation to C. King, who beta read, encouraged, and can gently let you know a section reeks while making sure you are not crushed into writer's block. Also, thanks to Alison M Dobell for encouragement and just for being the lovely lady she is. Lastly, my darling mate, for enduring late meals, distracted conversations, and for loving my story and saying, "more, please."

 

Quarreling With Fate
by Flintstriker

 

"Alec," Conall yelled, "wait up." Conall broke into a run, trying to catch up with the tall young mage weaving through the crowd. The falcon on Conall's arm screamed in displeasure and took wing. "Sorry Armelle," Conall called out. His falcon sent a scolding message back and flew ahead. The falcon swooped down and flew across Alec's face, causing him to shy back.

When Alec realized it was Conall's familiar he snarled and shook his head slowly in annoyance before he searched the crowd for his friend. Spotting him, he waited until Connall made it to his side.

"I hate it when you do that, Connall."

"I'm sorry, Alec. I didn't tell her to do it. You know how she gets."

"I'd think you'd have some control over her by now."

"It's not that easy, Alec. You don't realize how ..." Conall didn't finish. He wished he could take it back. He knew how sensitive Alec was over his failure to attract a familiar. Not every mage had a familiar, of course, but over half did, and those who didn't have a familiar would find some other focus for their magic, like a gem or artifact.

Alec hadn't found anything that aided him. Conall tried to convince Alec it didn't matter. Alec had more power without a focus then many mages had using one. Alec would just stare at him with those wide green eyes and a tight mouth. Conall was looking into those green eyes now.

His shoulders slumped and he sighed. "Alec, I was trying to find you because Master Skinoron wants to see you."

"Right now?" Alec seemed surprised.

"He said to let you know he wanted to see you when I saw you next. I thought it might be important."

"Well, he won't know exactly when that was, will he? I want a pint. Come on, I'll buy."

Conall was glad to see Alec in such a good mood. He clasped Alec's arm and led the way into the tavern. Armelle settled herself in a nearby tree to wait.

Conall bought the second pint. This tavern was a favorite of the mage students and the instructors. It was also one of the few taverns where the mages weren't looked on with dread. Magical mishaps were a danger of young mages. This tavern, the Flying Blue Ibex, had strict rules and the protection of a powerful mage who was part owner. He was also the headmaster of the Mage College.

Conall and Alec were discussing the relative strengths of healers strong in earth magic as compared to healers strong in the other magics when Conall's face fell and his eyes took on a worried look.

Alec turned around and with a groan slunk into his seat as he turned back to face Conall. A trio of instructors, all master mages, as instructors must be, strolled in and slowly scanned the patrons.

One of the three, nicknamed Smokey, paused when he saw Alec. After a moment of study he strolled over to Alec's table, his two companions following. Smokey's smile was wintery, his rheumy blue eyes lit with malice.

"Alec. Conall."

Alec's eyes narrowed. "Hello, Master Spender."

"It's good to see you enjoying yourself. I understand you'll be leaving soon. I wanted to give you something."

Alec frowned in puzzlement, his brows drawing together. Smokey tossed something at him. Alec caught it and looked to see what it was. His face flamed. It was a small lewd statue made of soapstone.

"I thought this might be the focus you need, Alec. I'd feel bad about you going out in the world without a little help." He stood there looking down at Alec, waiting for a reaction.

Alec tossed the statue back at him. "Thank you anyway, Smokey. It would complement your little puss so much I'd hate to deprive you of it." Alec glanced down at the small white cat that was staying close to Smokey's feet. The cat turned her back on Alec and rubbed around Smokey's ankles.

Smokey forcefully put the statue on the table in front of Alec and walked off, the two instructors following him to a table. One of the men, an administrator at the college named Byers who oversaw the library, turned around and gave Alec a pleased grin and nodded amiably at Conall. Conall had noticed Byers' mild look of disgust at Smokey's premeditated insult.

"I'd best go see Master Skinoron," Alec said scraping his chair back.

"I have a few errands to run. I'd better take care of them." Conall stood up. "I'll see you tomorrow at break fast I hope."

Alec smiled and nodded. They clasped forearms and each went their way.

******

"Master Skinoron?" Alec called softly as he entered the chamber.

"In the alcove," a strong, irritated voice called back.

Alec stood a moment trying to remember where the alcove was located. He had only been in this chamber twice in the last eight years and only one of those times had he seen the alcove. The chamber was large and he spotted four openings out of it.

He started to circle the room when he saw Vanish, the grey wolf that was Master Skinoron's familiar, curled on the floor. Vanish lifted his head from his paws and with a resigned sigh stood up. He looked up at Alec and turned around, walking away. Alec followed as Vanish led him into the alcove.

He saw Master Skinoron trying to move a large, very heavy, marble topped table. Skinoron was impressively muscled, but the table was getting the better of him. Alec grabbed one end and helped him move it.

"Thank you," Master Skinoron gritted out as he stretched backwards with his hands on his waist. "That was a little too heavy to do alone."

Alec smiled back and waited patiently for the master to explain why he wanted to see him. Master Skinoron pointed to a chair while sitting down in the one closest to him.

"Alec, you've been a good student. Better than good. You have had a few problems with discipline and more fights than is normal for students who spend most of their time in research and study, but I'm very pleased with your success. Unfortunately, we can't teach you anything new. You'll never quit learning but what you learn from now on will be unique to you."

"Master? Are you saying I have to leave? There's still so much I don't know."

Vanish sat at Skinoron's side, leaning in while Skinoron scratched his neck. Skinoron's voice, firm and even as always, continued, "It's time for you to learn what the world can teach you. You'll learn how to use your powers in ways you'll never learn staying here. Each student is unique. You are strongest in fire and air. Your friend Conall is very strong in air magic and the other elements are almost nonexistent in him. We were concerned at first that he might come close to what we call an Elemental Mage. They tend to lose their humanity after a time. We're relieved it turned out Conall's humanity is not in any danger. If fact, he has been a good influence on you."

Alec blinked and sat back. He wanted to ask Skinoron what in all the hells he meant by that. Wisely, he said nothing, but he wasn't sure his face didn't give him away.

Skinoron continued, "We can teach you and the other students basics and control. We can teach you fundamental truths about the elements of power, but each student will learn over time to complete tasks using his or her own strengths.

"I don't know where I'll go, Master Skinoron."

"I know it's daunting, but there's no reason to worry. You will have no trouble finding people who will need your services. When you travel, no one in their right mind will attack a Journeyman Mage. If you want, we have requests for Journeyman. We can send you to a post. That's a decision you must make. Take a couple of days and let me know what you decide."

Alec swallowed and stood up. He bowed to the headmaster. "Thank you, master." He found he couldn't say more, so he bowed again and left.

*****

"Alec," Conall greeted him as Conall sat down beside him with a bowl of gruel and a couple of boiled eggs.

"Morn, Conall." Alec worked at smiling. Conall's smile was just as cheerless.

"We know what Smokey was talking about, anyway. I've also been asked to leave. That's not how they put it; I was *congratulated* for being a new journeyman." Conall said, holding up his Journeyman medallion. "I decided to take a post, although they may be hard pressed to find one for a mage who only has air magic. I'll probably spend my life as a rainmaker," Conall said softly while pealing an egg. "

"Gods, Conall. You may only have air magic, but you're so strong in it. You could find a place on a ship or as a war mage, and there are other needs."

Conall grinned and handed Alec a peeled egg. "I hate water, Alec. And I would make a terrible war mage. It's not in me."

Alec accepted the egg and bit into it.

"What are you going to do?" Conall asked.

"I haven't decided. I think I'm going to wander a bit. Maybe I'll stumble across my focus," Alec snorted.

"Not that again! Alec. You don't need a focus. Quit worrying about it. If you find one, fine. If you never do, that will be fine, too."

Conall bit into an egg, studying the table. "I'm going to miss you, Alec."

"It's not that big a world, Conall. We'll see each other again."

Conall nodded, but he didn't believe it.

******

Alec stepped outside the city walls and walked a few minutes before turning around to take a last look at the city. He fingered the Journeyman medallion hanging around his neck. His other hand held a walking stick. Everything he owned he was wearing or was in the backpack he carried. The college had given him a new set of clothes, a large wool cape and new boots. The way his feet felt, he'd be taking them off soon and putting on his well worn shoes. They had given him the essentials for surviving the road and some travel foods. He felt lost and melancholy. He had been eleven years old when he entered the college. Now, eight years later, he didn't have any idea where he was going. He just walked.

 

*****

Muhldair knelt down and studied the footprint. His eyes methodically scanned the area around it. Someone had been poaching his clans' forests and his father had sent Muhldair and his two older half-brothers and several cousins to find them. His oldest brother, Fraoch, had split off with some of the cousins and Muhldair was scouting this area with his brother Odran and three more of their cousins.

"Well, Fox, have you found anything?" Odran asked, smiling down at him from behind.

Muhldair clenched his jaw and his eyes narrowed. Odran knew how much Muhldair hated the name they had given him, so he goaded him with it. Muhldair closed his eyes and let the tension fade. His hazel eyes were calm and guileless when he looked over his shoulder and up at Odran.

"There are at least two. I suspect there are more, but they've been careful, I'll give them that."

"Well, clever Fox, see if you can find them for us now."

Muhldair stood up and shifted his grip on his spear. He walked carefully forward, not wanting to miss any signs of the poachers and not wanting to stumble into an ambush. His brother and cousins stayed well back, constantly watching the forest around them and moving quietly. Odran held his sword. The cousins carried spears. Iron swords were rare and worth a princes' ransom. Fraoch and his father carried one, as did two of Muhldair's uncles. Muhldair had no hope of one, the bronze dagger on his belt as close as he'd ever come.

He lost the trail for a while but picked it up again. Muhldair found some small broken branches and knew he was going the right way. He held his hand up, palm facing backwards, warning the others to stay where they were. He stooped down and slowly made his way forward. He saw a small clearing and an old fire pit. He stayed hidden and listened.

Warily he approached the pit. The ashes and burnt wood were cold. He found some small rabbit bones and the larger bones of a young boar. He looked up to see Odran and his cousins at the edge of the clearing. He walked over to them, motioning them to stay.

"They are a large group, Odran. The camp is cold, but I don't like the feel of it."

Odran leaned forward, giving Muhldair a sly grin. "Going fey again, are you? Or do you have reasons for this feeling."

Muhldair's eyes looked wounded and Odran felt a small pang of regret for saying it. He buried the feeling and grabbed Muhldair's arm as Muhldair tried to go past him and leave the clearing.

"No, brother fox, find their tracks. Let's follow a little longer."

"We should leave and come back with the others."

Odran turned Muhldair around. "Go on," he said with a cock of his head toward the clearing.

The cousins watched the exchange, used to the dynamics between the brothers. Standing together, the two brothers were very different in appearance. Both tall, Odran was strongly built like his brother and father. Muhldair was slender and lighter in coloring than his sable haired brothers. Muhldair stubbornly kept his face shaved and wore his hair shoulder length instead of the long mane that the other men in the clan wore. Muhldair's brothers were well liked: sociable, clever, quick to joke, admired for their strength. Muhldair was quiet, watchful, sometimes shy. Not that Muhldair didn't have friends, but his were a small group that he cherished.

Muhldair gently pulled his arm away from his brothers grasp. He took a couple of slow breathes and reluctantly went back, searching the edges of the clearing. He roamed the edges a second time farther out. Then he rejoined his clansmen.

"I can't find the trail. I've lost them."

"How could you lose it?" Odran snapped back. "Tav, see what you find. Do you have us running, Fox? Have you lost your manhood?"

Muhldair's face paled, his grip on the spear tightening. The cousins watched the forest around them and occasionally the scene between Muhldair and Odran. Muhldair's temper was well known and best avoided. Only his brothers could bait him with impunity. The cousins were relieved to see that still held. Muhldair lowered his eyes and accepted the insult.

Tav hesitated then reluctantly searched the area. Tav was good, but he knew Muhldair was better. He was embarrassed to be used to humiliate Muhldair.

Muhldair fled to the edge of the clearing and leaned into a tree, his spear resting against his shoulder. Navin joined him, standing there quietly, giving what support he could in silence. Muhldair knew he was there, but didn't look at him. He appreciated the gesture all the same.

Tav made two slow circles around the area. Then he walked out farther and repeated the search. He returned with a shake of his head. "There is no trail to follow. We've lost them."

Odran stormed over to Muhldair. "How do you explain this?"

"I can't. They were in the clearing. There are no signs of them leaving it. Maybe they flew out."

Odran pushed Muhldair out of the way and heading back, eating up ground with long angry strides. Navin and his brother, Melor, stayed closely behind Odran. Tav raced to take the lead while Muhldair dropped behind. All but Odran worried about ambush. Odran's raging speed was dangerous. None of the men would admit the relief they felt when they were within site of the settlement.

*****

Alec was doing well and was pleased with his success. On his rambling travel he had been well fed, sheltered, and his coins were growing in number. Not growing fast, but it was a fine feeling all the same. He had found lost sheep, a missing child, a cattle thief (who was buried live under stones as was right for a cattle thief), lost items, and had made a few small coins from potions. Mostly he was paid with eggs, poultry, hams, homemade beer and other consumables, but he didn't mind that. He needed them on his travels, anyway. When he came across a farm or house far from a settlement, no one ever turned their hospitality away from him. It wasn't considered wise to anger a Journeyman Mage.

He sat around his small campfire enjoying a light supper and watching the night sky. The weather was mild and he was feeling peaceful, at ease. The feeling fled as he heard something behind him.

Jumping up and moving quickly he was now several feet away facing where he had been sitting. He saw them, creeping out of the trees. Five men, all looking like beggars and thieves. The man in the lead, a tall lanky redhead, knew they were spotted and straightened up, walking forward and hailing the camp as if they meant to do that all along.

"Do you mind sharing the fire?" he called out. "We saw you had one already going and it's late. No reason to set up another camp, heh?"

"As long as your intentions are good, I'd enjoy some company," Alec lied. "You might tell the two behind you with the daggers out to put them away first."

The two men were startled. They were far back, well away from the fire, and didn't expect to be seen so clearly. The leader turned back with a snarl. "You stupid gets! Is that any way to act? The man is giving us hospitality!" He turned toward Alec with an apologetic grimace. "I apologize for them. May we still enter your camp?"

Alec would rather have them in his camp than roaming around where he couldn't see them. "I might be a little nervous, so I'd appreciate you staying together opposite me at the fire, but yes," he said, making a welcoming gesture, "share my fire."

The men walked in and dropped down close enough to the fire to feel the warmth. Alec noticed none of them had backpacks or bundles. They had probably left them in the woods, not wanting to be encumbered during the attack. Alec wished he were stronger in earth magic. If he were he could put them all into a sound sleep.

"You look like things have been going well with you, young man," the leader said with a smile that Alec didn't like. "Prosperous. Could ya share some food for lesser folk?"

Alec pulled his pack over and brought out some bread, cheese, and a small sausage. "I can spare a little, but I'm running out myself. Is there a settlement nearby?"

"Two days to the northeast. You'll come across a path. Take it north."

"Is it a big settlement?"

The redhead chewed a while before answering. Alec was beginning to wonder if the other men could speak.

"It's a large clan. It would take quite a while to walk across their lands. The chieftain is called Wyle the Chance Stealer, but not to his face."

The leader looked at Alec, speculating. "Why are you wandering the woods alone, boy? You'd have little chance against, say, five armed men."

Alec unfastened his cape and let it slide off. He walked a little closer to the men. Two of the men warily went to their feet. For a moment nobody moved, then one of the men still sitting grabbed the man next to him by the arm. He whispered and pointed at Alec's chest, his eyes wide. The leader drew his eyebrows together, watching them and trying to understand why his men were so agitated. He finally understood Alec was the cause and turned to look at him. Then he saw it. He let out a chagrined groan. The boy wore a Mage medallion. He should have known. All mages were strong. It came with the magic. Alec had the muscled body that could be expected. The leader gave himself the excuse that the boy had been wearing a cape, and even if he had not, he could have simply been a well formed young man, but that didn't excuse missing the speed and agility the boy had shown earlier when they approached. Mages strong in earth magic had the greatest physical strength, air mages were the fastest, but all mages had strength, speed, and agility beyond the normal. The leader closed his eyes a moment in self-reproach. Mages could see in all but total darkness.

Alec formed a small ball of fire in his hands. The men made a nice variety of distressed sounds and were about to scatter. Alec raised his voice. "Don't move! Don't do anything to make me more nervous." The fire reflected in miniature in Alec's eyes and his lips curled in a snarl that showed most of his teeth. The men held their ground, barely. It wouldn't take much to panic them. One of the men was gibbering.

Alec's voice was velvet and daggers. "Put your knives on the ground. Then, move over there," he said using his cupped hands to point to his right. "You," he said, looking at one of the men standing, "tear your cloak into strips. "You, too," he said, pointing to the man standing beside him.

The two men were visibly upset. To lose your cloak was to lose shelter from cold and storm, a blanket at night, and marked you as poorer by not owning one. Alec couldn't feel pity for men he was sure meant to deprive him of more than a cloak.

When they finished ripping their cloaks into long strips, he told them to tie the other men up, hands and ankles. "I'll be inspecting the knots, so do a proper job."

When the two finished Alec had the younger one tie the remaining one. The last man looked at Alec, waiting to see what he should do next. Alec motioned him a few feet away from the others and told him to lie down on his belly.

Alec let the fire ball go and put a shield of air displacement around the last man. The man jerked and tried to get away. He crawled, one hand clutching at his throat. He turned toward Alec, his eyes pleading. The men who were tied up yelled and squirmed to break free. The man on the ground fell over on his back, his eyes bulging, chest heaving, trying to breathe. Alec waited until the man was near unconsciousness then released the spell. Alec walked over and tied him tightly. The man gasped and gulped in air.

Alec walked over to the leader. "The bonds aren't strong. You'll be free of them before long. I'll leave your knives by those birch trees. It wouldn't be a good idea to follow me. I'll leave you the fire."

Alec fastened his cape around his shoulders, grabbed up his backpack and walked briskly away, disappearing into the dark woods.

*****
Muhldair bit into the meat, enjoying the meal and his companions. Navin and Melor were sitting across from him. Dana was sitting to his right. Her sister, Melissa, on his left.

Muhldair always found himself leaning toward Dana when she was near. Her healing powers were so strong and it felt so good to be close to her. Others said they didn't know what Muhldair was talking about and Muhldair couldn't understand them not feeling it. They just shook their heads and muttered about fey Muhldair.

Muhldair could feel Melissa, too. She felt like a cool, breezy night. Melissa saw things, but her powers weren't strong. She had good instincts and it was best to listen if she had a premonition, but she couldn't call on her powers at will.

Dana laughed at something Melor said. Muhldair smiled, happy to be in their midst. He glanced at Dana and she laid a hand warmly on his wrist for a moment.

Muhldair knew he would be attracted to Dana with or without her healing powers. He loved her red hair and freckles. She was so tiny he towered over her and he wished he could shelter her in every way. He also knew he had to make a place for himself or he didn't have a chance. He knew Dana was fond of him, but she was out of his reach as a wife. Her family was influential. Dana herself was very important to the whole clan. True, Muhldair was a son of the chieftain, but he was third son. Fraoch would someday be chieftain. Odran would stand at his right hand. Muhldair's place was no higher than any of the cousins. Muhldair knew himself to be a good hunter, but he owned no land. He had no cattle. He enjoyed the benefits of the chieftain's table and he was well clothed, but he could expect no inheritance. He was taught to read and write some, as all the princes were. He wasn't ungrateful enough not to realize the value of that. But it wasn't enough. Being the best tracker and hunter would not get him the recognition he needed.

None of that mattered tonight. He was where he wanted to be at the moment, content.

*****

Alec stood still, watching the settlement from the grassy rise. It was a prosperous clan, that he could tell from a distance. There was a large hill fort in the distance. Farmsteads radiated out in all directions around it. He grinned and started walking.

A few questions and he was aimed at the chieftain's lodge. He was impressed with the size of it. He heard the sounds of cattle and watched chickens and ducks roaming freely. Alec thought he might stay here awhile.

*****

Melor called out, "Muhldair! Where have you been? Never mind. You have to go to your lodge. Now. You'll never believe it. Your father just hired a Mage!" Melor beamed at Muhldair, waiting for a reaction. Muhldair's face was a mixture of puzzlement and curiosity. He lightly gripped Melor's upper arm for a second then walked as fast as he could to his father's lodge.

Muhldair entered the dark, smoky interior of the lodge and immediately saw the cluster of people milling around the spot his father's large chair set. He saw his brothers, several uncles, aunts and cousins. When he got closer he saw his father, Dana, and a tall, dark haired man standing in the back of the group. Muhldair walked over and when his father turned and acknowledged him, he bowed his head. Wyle looked pleased to see his youngest son and Muhldair smiled shyly. Muhldair wanted to greet Dana, but his father introduced him to the stranger. "Muhldair, this is Alec. He is going to help us find those poachers. I have a few other small jobs I think he can help us with also."

Muhldair returned Alec's bow. Alec was about the same height he was, maybe a smidgen taller. He was strongly built, though not as wide as Muhldair's brothers. Muhldair was impressed with his clothing and boots. They were soiled from travel, but quality always shows. Alec's half grin was a little unsettling, but Muhldair wasn't sure why.

Muhldair turned to greet Dana and saw Dana watching Alec. Muhldair turned back towards him. He registered what he hadn't paid attention to before. Alec was attractive. More than attractive. Muhldair suddenly knew him to be competition. A powerful mage, a beautiful powerful mage, would be a good match for an equally beautiful powerful healer. Alec's wider grin and mocking green eyes told him that Alec was reading his mind. Muhldair faced his father when he heard him speaking to him.

"Muhldair, you know the forests better than anyone. I want you to stay with Alec when he goes out. Show him around the settlement. Guard his back while he finds the poachers. I'm throwing a banquet tonight to introduce him to the clan. Meanwhile, help him get settled. Give him a spot next to you." Wyle patted his son's shoulder and turned back to talk to the older men.

Alec and Muhldair gave each other a once over. Dana spoke up. "Muhldair, I want you and Alec to dine with my family tomorrow night. My parents would like to meet Alec and they always enjoy your visits."

"I would enjoy that," Alec answered before Muhldair could reply. "I hope to see you tonight."

"I won't be able to attend tonight," Dana said with regret. "Roisin is going into labor and I'm going to her lodge now. I look forward to seeing you both tomorrow night." She smiled at both of them and left.

Alec turned to Muhldair and smiled amiably. Muhldair's face was a study in neutrality.

Muhldair led Alec over to the far end of the lodge and behind a half wall. "This is where I sleep. I'll find a pallet for you. You can store your things next to mine. No one will touch them. I hope you don't snore."

"Do you snore, Muhldair?"

"No one has complained. I'm at your disposal. We can either walk the settlement, visit the inn, or, if you wish, you may wash up and rest before the banquet." Muhldair secretly hoped Alec wanted the latter. Muhldair wasn't in the mood to play charming.

"The inn first. I'm not tired. Tomorrow we can walk around the settlement. When we get back I'll wash up for the banquet tonight. There's plenty of time."

*****

Alec followed slightly behind Muhldair. He studied the young prince. They were about the same age. Muhldair was slender, but moved with a grace that implied strength. Walking quietly, Muhldair was constantly scanning the area. It appeared to be done unconsciously, as though Muhldair never let his guard down. Alec wondered why he would be so cautious among his own clan.

The inn was a small room divided from a family lodge. There were two long tables with rough benches. The settlement, as prosperous as it was, apparently did not get many visitors. Muhldair had to yell for someone to serve them. A young girl came at a run and Muhldair smiled down at her. "We need a couple of pints, Becuma. Can you ask someone to bring them?" Becuma looked wide eyed at Alec then nodded to Muhldair. She ran back through the door. Muhldair smiled at her departure.

Alec watched the change go over Muhldair's face. Muhldair's face had softened, looking even younger. The smile was sweet, his hazel eyes softened into a look Alec could only call innocent. Muhldair turned and the look was gone. His face had closed down. Muhldair sat down at one of the tables and Alec joined him.

"A friend of yours?"

"Becuma? Yes, her older brothers are close friends. I almost feel I helped raise her. She was always hanging around. She's an adorable pest."

"You like children?"

"Most of them."

"How long has the poaching been going on?"

"Four months, maybe longer. I'm hoping it's a group of outcasts and not a neighboring clan. We don't want a clan war."

Alec nodded in understanding.

A raven haired women hurried in with the mugs of ale. She smiled warmly at Muhldair and gave a friendly greeting to Alec.

"Thank you, Ess." Muhldair smiled up at her. "I'll be back later to settle. I wanted to talk to Navin about something, anyway. Wait! I forgot. Are you coming to the banquet? I can do both there."

Ess assured Muhldair the family was coming and Alec could see Muhldair's pleasure. Before she left, Ess patted Muhldair softly and planted a kiss in his hair. Evidently she had adopted him sometime while he grew up playing with her sons.

Muhldair looked at Alec and returned to the topic, interest showing, "Do you think you can find them?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't have told Wyle I could."

Muhldair flushed and pulled back. He took another swig of the dark ale.

Alec mentally kicked himself. (Good, smart ass. You almost had him settled and now he's on guard again.)

Neither had much to say on the way back.

*****

Alec watched the dynamics of the banquet with interest. Wyle and Fraoch wandered the room, spending time here and there among the guests. Odran tended to stay in a crowd of cousins, joking and posturing. The laughter in his group was loud and hinted at mockery. Muhldair sat with Ess, her husband and children. Dana's sister joined them. A couple of cousins would occasionally wander over to spend a few moments. Muhldair was a different man in this circle. He sprawled out, taking more space. He joked easily, his face was animated, he looked happy. Alec noticed the brothers never spent time with him and Muhldair didn't go to them.

Alec was busy gathering information on everyone. It was simplicity itself. Everyone wanted to meet the mage. Even if he hadn't been a mage the people would have been curious about the new face among them. It was amazing what people would tell a stranger.

*****

"I hear you're the best tracker in the settlement."

"Tav's good. Some of the others are all right."

"But you're the best."

Muhldair shrugged.

"Are you fey, Muhldair?"

Muhldair stopped in mid stride. He swiveled toward Alec. "What kind of question is that?" he snarled.

"I heard you sensed things, had feelings. I heard you can *feel* Dana and her sister. Can you?"

Muhldair spun around, heading back toward the settlement. Alec grabbed his arm. Muhldair jerked it away and kept walking. Alec kept stride with him.

"Can you?"

"Yes."

"Can you *feel* me?"

"Yes. You're an ass."

"Funny. What do you feel?"

Muhldair kept right on walking. Suddenly Muhldair was buffeted with a wall of wind, pushing him backwards, trying to push him down. It quit just as suddenly. Muhldair stumbled but remained upright. He turned and whopped Alec with the side of the spear. Alec hit the ground.

"I'm impressed. Just not enough." he ground out, looking down at Alec.

Alec's eyes narrowed. "I'll give you that one. That's all I'll give."

Muhldair snorted in disgust.

"Oops. That's two."

Alec bowled Muhldair over, throwing punches randomly over his body. Muhldair fought to inflict the most damage. It was calculated and brutal. Muhldair was unaware of the damage he received. His mind was clear, calm. He felt disassociated from the fight. Against another man Muhldair would have been formidable. Unfortunately for him, Alec wasn't a normal man, he was a mage. A very strong mage. When the dust settled, Alec was the first to get to his feet. Muhldair laid belly down on the ground, just breathing.

Alec wasn't doing so good himself. He was going to be covered with bruises. His lower lip was split. Muhldair gave him a better fight than some he had at the college. That was something to consider.

Alec sat down beside Muhldair. "You all right?"

Muhldair turned his face away from him.

Alec flicked the back of Muhldair's head with the back of his hand. "Who's the asshole?"

"Been over that." Muhldair's voice was barely over a whisper, but the attitude was still there.

"You need help?"

"Go screw yourself."

"Suit yourself."

Alec squirmed into a more comfortable position and watched the clouds float by. A few minutes passed by in silence.

"You still here?"

"For a little while."

"I can't turn over. I think something's broken."

Alec ran his hands a little above Muhldair's neck and back. "Your collar bone is broke. That's not a healing I'm strong in. I can help you get to your feet and back to the settlement. It's not going to be pleasant."

Muhldair made a move of his head that Alec took as acceptance. Alec carefully turned him over. Muhldair tried to muffle a scream. Muhldair was making sounds like he might vomit. Alec quickly got him in a sitting position and held his head steady. Muhldair's face was pale and sweaty. When Alec helped him get on his feet Muhldair did scream. Once there, Muhldair refused help. He made his way toward the settlement and Dana. Alec stayed close but didn't touch him.

"I still want to know, Muhldair. Are you fey?"

Muhldair made a pained sound. "Are you going to attack me again?"

"No. But I'm not going to leave you alone until you tell me."

"I can feel you."

Muhldair wasn't looking good. His steps were irregular. The sweat was beading on his face. Alec knew he should in mercy leave him alone.

"What does it feel like when you feel me?"

"Autumn. Smoke. Fast moving clouds. Lust."

Alec raised an eyebrow. "All that?"

"You asked."

"You don't have any magic of your own?"

"No. But I can feel it in others. Sometimes I can sense when magic's been used." Muhldair stopped walking and was breathing heavily. "Go get Dana. I'll keep walking. You can go faster."

"You sure that's a good idea?"

"Do it."

Alec mulled it over. "Let me try something first. Lean against that tree. Try to relax."

Muhldair backed into the tree, letting it take some of his weight.

Alec concentrated on Muhldair. He tried to sense the broken bone. Suddenly, he could see the break, not as bad as it could have been. He knew he could start the healing process. Alec was distracted before he started, though, pulled away by a new sensation. Something sweet and strong was inside Muhldair. Alec was drawn to it. It felt so good, Alec lost himself in it. Forgetting Muhldair, he bathed in the magic. He wanted it. He could feel the thread of it and pulled it in, gathering it inside himself. Muhldair was making distressed sounds, helpless against the drain of something he didn't know he had.

"Stop. Stop it." Muhldair gritted out through his teeth.

Muhldair's voice pulled Alec back to the broken bone. He could see what he needed to do to start the healing. He laid his hand directly over the bone and manipulated the break. He gathered resources from Muhldair's body to start the mending.

Alec pulled away and realized Muhldair was sliding down the tree. Alec caught him and helped lower him to the ground.

"What did you do to me?" Muhldair asked weakly.

"I started the healing process. You've never been healed before?"

"Not like that." Muhldair carefully lifted his arms. He winced and stopped. "It's better, but I still can't use that arm." Muhldair instinctively cradled that arm with his good one.

"It will take time. You still should see Dana. She might be able to do more for you."

"Give me a moment and I'll be ready to go."

Alec nodded, his mind distracted. He had to think through what had just happened. He had never heard of anything like this at the college. He wished he hadn't mentioned Dana. He didn't want her to discover what he had about Muhldair. If Dana found out about the power in Muhldair she would tell him. Probably she would want to use it herself. He planned on Muhldair and that sweet power belonging to him.

Needing to stop Muhldair from going to Dana, Alec waited until they were at the edge of the settlement then he reached into Muhldair again. Knowing what he was looking for, it was easier this time. He spun the spell slowly, carefully. It was a new magic for Alec and he didn't want to cause any damage to Muhldair. Muhldair was moving slower, his steps starting to falter. Alec quietly came up behind Muhldair and helped him fall to the ground without injury. He called out to one of the cousins walking near by to help him and they took Muhldair to Wyle's lodge. Alec laid Muhldair on his pallet and then set his own pallet close by.

*****

When Navin came looking for Muhldair Alec told him Muhldair had taken a bad fall but would be fine. Navin looked at Alec's split lip and bruised face and made a sarcastic sound.

Muhldair was sleeping and Navin didn't want to wake him, but he sat beside him for a while. When Navin was ready to go, he stood up and turned to stare at Alec.

Navin's rugged face lost it's normal amiability. "I'll come back to make sure he's getting better," his low voice said in quiet warning.

Alec frowned, his body rigidly straight. "He's doing fine. He'll be about in a few days."

Navin gave him a grim look and started to leave. He turned back around. "Muhldair's got a temper if you push him. I saw him in a knife fight once. He's fast and he's deadly. His face looked ... empty. But he's a good man and he has people who care about him." Alec heard this second warning and nodded. Navin decided not to say more and left.

When Dana showed up Alec told her Muhldair had a broken collar bone and that he had started the healing process immediately. It would be a shame to wake him. She studied Alec's face. Alec looked sheepish and told her that he and Muhldair had got into a shoving match that escalated and Muhldair had taken a bad fall.

Dana, like all the rest of the people in the settlement, knew Muhldair's temper. She looked at the sleeping man and started to kneel down beside him. Alec diverted her. He kept her distracted with questions and stories. He lightly flirted. The next few days, while Muhldair recuperated, Alec made sure Muhldair was in a deep sleep as soon as he realized Dana was coming to visit or if Alec needed to be away for awhile and had to leave Muhldair alone. Tapping Muhldair's power boosted Alec's earth magics considerably. He found the new abilities handy.

While Muhldair slept, Alec studied the power Muhldair didn't know he had. He discovered he needed to be closer than eight feet to Muhldair to draw it from him and he didn't need Muhldair awake to do it.

He cursed his luck Muhldair hadn't been born a women. Alec then could have courted and married, assuring possession. Somehow he had to tie Muhldair to him. He knew he wouldn't leave without him.

*****
Each day while Muhldair slept Alec speeded his healing, pulling the resources from Muhldair's body to do it. When Muhldair woke up he was ravenous and Alec brought food to him. Normally, there would be no real reason for Muhldair to be bedridden, not from a broken collar bone, but while speeding up Muhldair's healing Alec was keeping him weak.

Wyle was pressing Alec to find the poachers and didn't see a reason why Muhldair needed to go with him. Wyle had two other sons and dozens of available men. He tried pushing Tav at him. Alec kept making excuses. He wanted Muhldair fully healed as soon as possible.

Alec saw Muhldair stirring. "How are you feeling?"

"Groggy." Muhldair pushed himself up into a sitting position. "And hungry."

Alec smiled. "You're always hungry. I brought you some bread and chicken."

Muhldair looked around the room sleepily. His hair was tousled and falling over his face. He pushed it back with one hand. "Thank you," he said taking the small wooden platter. "What's wrong with me? All I want to do is sleep." He finished with a big yawn.

"You're almost healed now. You should try to walk around a little."

Muhldair nodded and broke off a hunk of the bread. While chewing he contemplated Alec. Alec had been taking care of him during the whole recuperation. He didn't understand why a powerful mage would waste time on him. He was also disappointed that Dana hadn't been the one caring for him.

"You didn't have to do this for me," he pointed out.

"I felt responsible," Alec shrugged.

"Dana could have taken care of me."

Alec heard the unspoken. "She came by several times. You were healing. She didn't need to do anything."

She might have just visited, Muhldair thought. It tore at him Dana didn't seem to care.

"I like Dana," Alec said offhand. "We have a lot in common. It's nice to have someone to discuss things with. She's taught me a few things about earth magic. I've shown her a few tricks with fire."

Muhldair looked over at Alec. Alec's long dark hair rested shiny and smooth over his shoulders. His green eyes were long lashed and lovely. His features were elegant. When Muhldair considered Dana's new disinterest in him, Alec seemed even more of a threat to Muhldair's hopes. Muhldair felt himself sinking while Alec loomed.

If Alec hadn't been watching closely, he would have missed the pain skip across Muhldair's face. Muhldair recovered quickly, his face neutral. Muhldair put the wooden platter aside and staggered to his feet, using one hand on the wall to help balance.

"Aren't you going to finish eating?"

"No. I'm not hungry. I want to move around a little. You don't have to watch me, I'm fine. You've lost enough time with me already."

"You're sure?"

Muhldair nodded. He looked at Alec and gave him a small smile. "I'm fine," he repeated.

"Your father wants us to find the poachers. We'll see how you're feeling tomorrow. I want you with me."

Muhldair nodded again. He straightened up and finger combed his hair, then he walked out into the central room and went to greet his father. He politely spoke to Fraoch. Odran wasn't there. He spoke to Fraoch's wife and his father's new one. He made brief comments to his father's menials and two slaves when they inquired about him and told him how pleased they were to see him up and about. When courtesy was done he ventured outside.

Alec watched from the far end of the lodge, apparently resting while eating. He was really watching Muhldair. He had the beginnings of a plan.

*****

Dana's blue eyes sparkled when she looked up at the mage. He was holding out a lily, his green eyes bright. It was obvious he was looking for her. Smiling, she took the lily.

She was flattered and pleased by the attention Alec had been paying her. He was gorgeous: tall, well formed, handsome. She was also pleased he was a mage. Dana had never left the settlement in her young life and Alec was the first male mage she'd ever met. She found the total package almost irresistable.

Without speaking, Alec and Dana started walking together. Alec took Dana's hand. It seemed natural. Dana gave his hand a squeeze and smiled up at him. Alec smiled back, his eyes soft. He seemed very happy. They wandered over to a small grassy area dotted with a few birch trees near the edge of the settlement. Alec sat down, drawing Dana with him.

"This is a pleasant place," he said, referring to the settlement and it's people.

"I suppose it is. I don't have anything to compare it to. I've always lived here."

"I can't say my experiences are vast, but I've been to a few other places."

Dana gave a noncommital, "mmm."

Alec looked at her questioningly. He bent his head and softly brushed her lips with his. He held it for a heartbeat. When she didn't pull away he pulled her in and kissed her in earnest. Her lips softened and she pressed against him. When they separated, Dana looked up, gazing softly into his face. He was looking down with his own dreamy look.

Suddenly, she became aware of the activity not all that far from them. She looked around at the bright sunlit day and the people walking and doing their work around the settlement. She scooted a proper distance away.

Alec wasn't stupid. He placed one hand over hers. "Who taught you the basics?"

"Mistress Igerna. She came here when I was small. A settlement as large as ours needed a healer and could support one. Two years ago she told me I didn't need her any more and the settlement didn't need two healers. She left."

"Was she weak in any of the magics?"

"No. She was balanced. She was slightly stronger in earth than the others. She wasn't as strong in fire, but she wasn't weak, either."

"I thought since fire gave you some problems, maybe she wasn't able to show you ... ," Alec caught himself. He gave her an embarrassed look, hoping she wouldn't get angry with him.

Dana just laughed at him. "I'm weak in fire. You wouldn't think so with my red hair," she teased. "I'm strong in all the others. At least, Mistress Igerna said I was."

Alec squeezed her hand.

"Will you come sup with us tonight? she asked.

"Not tonight. I want to talk to Muhldair about searching the forest tomorrow morning. Anyway, your mother is probably getting tired of feeding me."

"No. She likes you."

Alec laughed. Dana could tell he was pleased.

*****

Muhldair leaned against the maple tree watching Alec and Dana. A little earlier he had greeted Melissa and she had insisted on combing out his hair. While he sat there, Melissa had mentioned in passing Alec's visits to their lodge. It only confirmed what Muhldair already suspected.

Muhldair hadn't been looking for them, it had been by chance he saw them sitting under the birches. Muhldair turned away, walking in the opposite direction. Two powerful mages, Dana and Alec were made for each other. He had nothing to offer. Bitter, heavy despair was knotting in his chest. Unable to face anyone, knowing he couldn't hide his feelings, he headed across the open fields and into the forest.

*****

"Are you feeling well enough to scout the forest tomorrow?"

"I feel fine."

"How's your arm? Can you wield your spear?

"I said I feel fine."

Alec looked closely at Muhldaire. Muhldair was shut down again. Nothing showed in face or voice.

"I'd like to go to the clearing you found. "

Muhldair nodded. "I want to bring Navin and Tav, and Odran is insisting on going with us. How long do you plan to stay out? "

"You know the forest. How long do we need?"

"We'll come back every third or fourth day. Is that all right?"

Alec shrugged. He didn't expect this to take long.

Alec was getting tired of Muhldair's vacancy. "So, Muhldair, what are your plans after we catch the poachers?"

Muhldair looked confused. It was something.

"What are you going to do with your life, Muhldair? Live your life as a dependent of your father and then your brother? Take up a trade? Live as a woodsmen in the forest? Travel the land?"

Muhldair was stunned. None of these thoughts had entered his mind. This was home. This is what he did. He felt insulted, but wasn't sure he was in the right of it. Alec was diminishing him and he couldn't think of a reply. That embarrassed him further.

"What do you have to keep you here, Muhldair? What's to keep you from seeing what you can find outside? You have no land, and you'll have no inheritance. What do you own that you couldn't carry on your back?"

Muhldair stood up and swung his legs over the bench and away from the table. "Nothing," he replied grimly. He started to walk away. Alec was beside him.

"I need you. I want someone to watch my back. I'll pay for it. There will be times I'll give you part of my fee for your help. You'll see what's out there. When you come back here you can buy some land, you'll have a position."

"Be your bodyguard? Wouldn't that be jolly. I expect I would earn my money with the charming way you handle people."

"I can be charming. You bring out the worst in me. After you give it a try, if it doesn't work out, you could always come back and you'd have a few coins and some stories to tell. Just think about it."

"I have to go talk to Odran about tomorrow."

"You do that, Fox."

*****

Odran assumed leadership of the group from the start. Muhldair and the others accepted it naturally. Alec had been treated with respect and some awe since he left the college and he had grown to accept it as his due. This was the first time anyone had treated him liked hired help. When he mentioned to Muhldair he didn't much care to be treated that way, Muhldair laughed at him. "But you are hired help," he answered with a smile. "Just as I'll be if I accept your offer."

Alec looked at him, shiny hope in his eyes.

"I didn't say I was accepting it." Muhldair pointed out. He grinned at Alec's flash of disappointment.

Alec was pleased to see Muhldair animated again. Muhldair was relaxed around Tav and Navin, joking and sharing his thoughts with them. When Muhldair was with Odran he was courteous and yielded to Odran's judgements and opinions. Alec didn't fit into either category. Alec wanted what Muhldair gave Odran, but he wanted what Tav and Navin had with Muhldair, too. He knew he was being unreasonable, but was annoyed anyway.

That afternoon, as they started their final trek toward the clearing, Odran wanted Alec to stay with him, thinking he needed to be protected. Alec insisted he could do his job better with Muhldair, scouting ahead. On the edge of temper, Alec pointed out to Odran that Journeyman Mages usually traveled through the wilds alone, fearing nothing. Muhldair raised his eyebrows over that statement. Alec grumped and followed Muhldair when he headed out.

*****

"The clearing I lost them in is up ahead," Muhldair told him quietly. "They might be back."

Muhldair started to move forward, but Alec stopped him with a hand on his arm. Alec left his hand on Muhldair, gently pulling that sweet power. He let himself, a part of himself, join the winds. He was looking down from above the trees. He saw Odran and the cousins halting several man lengths behind them. He found the clearing, empty. He looked farther out, but saw nothing human. He released his grip on the arm.

Muhldair was looking at him wide eyed. "You must be very powerful," he said with some awe. "I don't feel you the way I do other mages, it was as though I was within the spell. No, that isn't quite it, either." He shook his head. "I can't explain it.

"You abilities would be an asset, Muhldair, to any mage. But I found you and I'm offering you a place with me. We could do well. In a few years you could have cattle, land, whatever you wanted."

Alec was treading a line. He didn't want Muhldair to know he was pulling power from him; better to let him believe what he was feeling was just a difference in Alec's powers. But he also wanted Muhldair to feel valuable, flattered. He wanted him to believe he could have the place in life he yearned for.

Muhldair looked skeptical. "How would I be an asset? You told Odran mages traveled alone, afraid of nothing."

"You sense mages. You have a sense of their power. This may surprise you, but mages can't sense each other. We have to learn about each other in much the same way as other folks. You could guard my back when I can't. Muhldair, I'll make it worth your while. You won't be sorry."

Muhldair hissed. "When you cast a spell near me, I feel it too strongly. I couldn't watch your back then."

"If I'm casting a spell the circumstances will be such that I won't need you to watch my back. I'll be taking care of things."

Muhldair looked confused.

"You'll understand later," Alec said with some frustration.

Odran approached them, looking sour. "What's going on, Fox?"

"The camp is empty," Alec said. "There's no one but us close. I want to enter the clearing and see what I find."

Alec strode away, leaving the others to follow. They did, cautiously. Alec went to the fire pit and looked around. Muhldair came to his side.

"What are you looking for?"

"You said there were bones here."

"Yes, rabbit and boar. They might have been carried off by animals."

"See if you can find anything the poachers may have handled."

Muhldair grinned and handed him a charred piece of wood from the firepit.

"Funny, Muhldair. You're going to be a joy."

"I never said I'd take up the offer," Muhldair reminded him, still smiling.

Alec frowned at him, his brows drawing together. "Find me something that isn't burnt," he demanded.

Muhldair heard a trace of threat in the soft, husky voice. He wasn't intimidated. He would serve Alec only as much as he must to serve the clan. Grinning widely, his eyes mocking, Muhldair pointed to a rock stained with dull red a few feet from he fire.

Alec glared at him and then realization slowly washed across his face. He knelt down and handled the rock. Someone had used the flat rock to prepare the animals for cooking. The rock had been moved into this position.

Tav was searching the ground thoroughly. Navin was watching for danger. Odran looked even more sour. He stood over Alec.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to follow a trail."

"What trail? Fox and Tav both said the trail was lost."

"The type of trail I'm looking for lingers. Sometimes I can follow it."

Odran didn't look happy, but he stood there quietly. Muhldair knew he was losing patience.

Alec looked up to see where Muhldair was standing. Muhldair was close enough behind him to touch. Alec kept his hand on the rock and tapped into Muhldair. It was easier each time he did it. He loved the way it felt flowing into him. The type of magic he needed took both air and earth. Alec was always strong in air, but now he was strong in earth, too. Maybe not strong as Dana or Master Skinoron was, but stronger than he had been. He let himself go and was looking down again from above. He saw the red/blue/brown patch in the clearing. The clansmen with him showed up in green/blue/white. He ignored them. There was no sign of a path leaving the clearing, but in a distance he picked up the red/blue/brown colors again. That wasn't possible. Unless ... unless they had a mage with them. A mage could obliterate a trail. This wasn't good for Wyle's clan. It was unlikely a small group of outcasts had a mage among them. It might be the start of a clan war.

Alec stood up. He took a moment to get reoriented.

"Damn, Fox, what's the matter with you?" Odran snapped.

Alec turned to look at Muhldair. He looked fine to him.

"I don't know what you mean, Odran," Muhldair answered.

"You went fey again. When Alec went empty, so did you. I couldn't get you to answer me."

"I'm sorry, Odran, I don't know." Muhldair looked stricken.

Alec wanted him to fight back, like he did with him, like he would with almost any other man. Alec looked at the cousins. They were trying to pretend nothing was happening.

Odran started to speak and then, with a look that said he was just wasting his time, shut his mouth. Turning away from Muhldair, disgusted, he spoke to Alec.

"Have you discovered anything?"

"I picked up their trail close to a creek that way. I believe they have a mage with them. That's why Muhldair and Tav lost the trail."

They all knew the implications of that. Tav spoke up, "Muhldair said it didn't feel right. He said we should go back for the others."

Muhldair looked at him in amazement. Odran would not want to hear this. Odran gave Tav a look that Tav pretended not to see.

Alec watched with growing interest. He knew gossip on almost everybody, but nobody discussed the strain between the brothers. Maybe now would be a good time to approach Tav, if he could get him alone.

"We still need to find them and find out how many there are," Odran said.

"If they have a mage, and I believe they do, they may very well know we're coming before we get close," Alec explained.

"Can't you do something to keep the mage from seeing us, or whatever it is mages do?"

"Nothing I know how to do. The best I could do would give us some warning if their mage spots us so we can get away, and that might not work, depending on the skill of their mage."

"Then that's what we'll have to do. We can't let them take over our forest."

"I'll have better luck getting to them and getting back with just Muhldair. The more people with me the harder it will be to get close without their mage detecting us. You go back and tell Wyle what we've found and gather men. Believe me, three more men will only make it harder."

Odran thought about it. "Why Muhldair?"

"He's fey, remember? He *feels* mages."

*****

"Why did you tell Odran I can feel mages?"

"Can't you?"

"Yes, if I'm within eight or ten feet from them. What good would that do us?"

"It could save our lives. And didn't you say sometimes you can tell when magic's been worked. Maybe you can sense wards. Besides, this is a chance to learn to work together."

Vexed, Muhldair cocked his head sideways and looked at Alec from the corner of his eyes.

They walked a little further when Alec broke the silence, "Muhldair, I don't have a brother, but I've been around brothers. What is this strain between you and yours?"

"Damn to hell, you have no inhibitions at all! That's none of your affair!"

"I'll find out. If you don't tell me I'll find out from someone."

"What's wrong with you? Why do you keep coming after me like that? It doesn't concern you. Gods, you're sick."

"Why does it matter? I'm sure most of the clan knows the secret. What difference does it make if I know? Maybe I just want to know more about you? Maybe I care a little? At least I'm being honest, I'm coming to you first instead of searching out gossips."

Muhldair's eyes were wide in disbelief. He'd stopped walking. "Just leave it alone."

"Oh, Fox, you know I won't." A puff of air lifted Muhldair's hair, just a reminder.

"We can't travel together! I'd kill you before we traveled a handful of days!"

"I wouldn't let you, and besides, after a fortnight you'd learn to appreciate my unique qualities."

"We're wasting time, the sun will set before we find the poachers. Let's go."

Alec didn't move. "The sun will be low before we reach the creek anyway. Tell me about your brothers."

A small slow moving funnel of leaves and other small objects from the forest floor started swirling around Muhldair. Alec watched Muhldair's face. Odran was right. Alec was only pulling a small thread of Muhldair's power and Muhldair appeared distracted, distant. Alec released it and Muhldair was himself again, giving Alec a frustrated, angry frown. Alec kept the small funnel going with his own strong magic.

Muhldair looked at the funnel with distaste. He took a few steps and he stayed the funnel's center. He took a deep breath. This could go on for hours, he knew.

Looking down and away from Alec, he waved one hand slowly in surrender. The funnel disappeared in a low roar. Muhldair found a comfortable place to sit. Alec sat a few feet away.

"I'm truly learning to hate you." Muhldair said quietly. He sat there a while staring upward. Alec saw his discomfort, but didn't relent. Muhldair had hoped he might.

"They are my half brothers. I'm bastard. Wyle's new wife is his second wife, not his third."

Alec was puzzled. That wouldn't be enough to explain what he saw between them. Wyle acknowledged Muhldair, he lived in his lodge. The older brothers were several years older, but still they must have spent some time with Muhldair as a child.

Muhldair looked at Alec and knew he still had questions. "My brothers' mother died of a wasting disease. She was ill for over a year. While she was bedridden Wyle took up with a hedge mage, my mother. I was born five months after his wife died. My mother refused to marry him. When I was three years old, she left the settlement with a traveler through our settlement. She left me with my father. My brothers were seven and ten when their mother died, young enough to resent me for what they saw as betrayal of their mother. It's possible that could have been overcome, but I was different from them. I didn't enjoy the same pastimes or people. It only become worse when I got older. I started to become fey. "

Muhldair swallowed and looked away. "Is it enough? Are you satisfied?"

"You want their approval. That's why you allow them to treat you the way they do."

"Fraoch will one day be my chieftain. He deserves my loyalty. Odran stands by his brother." Muhldair shrugged, done with the subject. "We may as well camp here."

They ate their meal cold. Muhldair made a crude map of the forest in some dirt when Alec asked. They spent some time deciding where the most likely areas for the poachers to camp were, assuming they weren't camping in the edges of a neighboring clan's lands. Alec didn't push Muhldair about anything. He was working on showing Muhldair he could be pleasant company. Mulhdair wasn't quite ready to buy.

Alec pulled power from Muhldair and searched the area around to make sure no humans were near. When they settled down to sleep, Alec made a simple ward spell that would wake him if anyone approached. Muhldair wanted to take watches, but Alec told him no, it wasn't needed.

When Alec fell asleep, Muhldair was still sitting up, watching.

*****