Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
548
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
746

One of Those Days

Summary:

This is Kate and Abby's routine during those kinds of days.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

One of Those Days
by Sadisticferret aka Mae


Gibbs never said anything about it. Kate knew he could always tell, but he never spoke about it, and for that she was eternally grateful, especially on days like today. Tony never brought it up either, but Kate suspected it had more to do with the fact that the whole matter seemed to nauseate him, rather than because he respected her. And Ducky was Ducky no matter what day it was. Still, Kate appreciated their silence. She knew it was mildly awkward for them, especially now that she and Abby were together, because apparently, they had synchronized.

She knew that Gibbs had disapproved of their relationship at first, but he seemed to have gotten over it. Kate wished he would drop "rule number twelve" altogether, if only for Tony's sake; the way he mooned hopelessly over his boss was getting more pitiful by the day.

Most days, Kate enjoyed her work and was happy to be there, but on days like these she couldn't wait to get home. This wasn't for her sake, but for Abby's. For while Kate was afflicted only with mild headaches and lethargy, Abby suffered from full-blown migraines and debilitating cramps that aspirin seemed to have no affect on.

Today the pain seemed to be especially intense, as Abby had barely moved from her scrunched-up position at her desk. It broke Kate's heart to see her like this, and if she'd had her way, Abby would have spent the entire day in bed. Unfortunately, no matter how much she begged, Kate was unable to convince her girlfriend to miss work. They had this argument every month, but the result was always the same. Still, Kate felt that she had to say something about it. And it wasn't as if it was futile; every now and then, she was able to convince the stubborn scientist to leave a bit early.

Today was one such day. Kate had been able to pack her lover home at 4:00, with only a few token protests. Now that they were home, Kate had every intention of making up for the stress of the day to Abby, even if it was her own fault she had to go through it in the first place. This, also, was their routine. After giving her girlfriend a shoulder massage, she put on the water for hot chocolate. While it was heating up, Kate and Abby changed into their most comfortable nightclothes. For Kate, this was a set of blue silk pajamas; for Abby, it was simply a pair of underwear.

Once the cocoa was ready, the two women curled up on the couch with it and held each other while they sipped. They stayed like this for quite some time, even long after their hot chocolate was finished. They never said anything during these moments; they simply took comfort in each other's presence.

After night had fallen, the two silently rose from the couch and slowly made their way towards the bedroom. Once there, they promptly collapsed into bed and spooned up against one another, leisurely drifting off. Abby placed a kiss on Kate's head and whispered, "I love you," right before she fell asleep.

That was Kate's favorite part of this routine.


END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Sadisticferret.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.