Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,006
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
729

Power of the Imagination

Summary:

Fandom: X Files
Pairing: Looks like it’s Mulder and Krycek
Status: First Draft
Archive: Yes, please
Feedback: Yes, please
E-Mail: wa_bekah@yahoo.com
Disclaimers: All belongs to Chris Carter! I take no blame/praise!
Summary: Krycek shows up at Mulder’s door, believing to be in a relationship with him for over a year that’s all in his head. I’m going for the Extra Golden Brownie Points by Krycek having an invisible girl on his arm that he believes is both his and Mulder’s. Thank you.
Notes: Just a few scenes done, plus my first fan fic so bear with me

Work Text:

Power of the Imagination
by Bekah

 

Flashes of color playing across his face, Mulder watched the television blankly as he ate. Automatically, he raised the fork to his mouth and there was a sudden noise at his door. Confusion darkened his features for a moment, then the knocking grew louder, more frantic. Grumbling his displeasure, he walked over to the door, glancing back at the screen as he did.

The moment he cracked the door open, a tall, dark blur burst into the room.

"There goes my nice, peaceful evening," Mulder grumbled under his breath, closing the door. He turned around and was faced with Alex Krycek, who, for his part, seemed calm and collected at the moment. But, as was known, that was changeable.

Alex leaned against the door jamb between the living room and the kitchen, casual as can be. He kept looking pointedly between Mulder and the chair between them, as though waiting for Mulder to figure something out.

"All right, Krycek, what is it this time?" Mulder sat back down on the couch and pushed his plate away.

"Oh, come now, after all we've been through, are we not on a first name basis anymore? Please, now, Fox, we're all friends here," Alex said, with an expansive gesture towards the whole room. "Hell, we're all more than friends," he added with a cracked grin.

Mulder stood, looked into the emerald shadows that were Alex's eyes and saw something there, something that made him take a step back, involuntarily. The green was as deep as it always was, but there was something else. A certain spark of rage, a glint of absolute lunacy that surprised and frightened him.

"What the hell are you talking about? What's the matter with you, anyway?" He stood his ground as Alex steadily approached him, a strange fire in his eyes.

"Why don't you ask her," Alex said, gesturing toward the empty chair, his eyes never leaving Mulder's face. "I know you must wonder what she's doing here. And what she's doing with me, more so. After all, we both must have declared ourselves to you. I know that true of us, but I don't know about between Alyssa and you."

An expression of pure puzzlement crossed Mulder's face. What the hell was he talking about? Mulder took notice of the glint of fine beads of sweat lining his angular face. Taking a mental step back from the bizarre scene before him, Mulder also noticed the pinpoint pupils and labored breathing. This does not bode well, he thought to himself. Looks like he's
either tripping or psychotic. Either was bad.

"I'm waiting," he had turned his rich voice to a sing-song which grated on Mulder's already frayed nerves. Just play along, he told himself. Then maybe he'll go away and bother someone else.

"Okay, Alex, you caught me. Why don't we all sit down and talk about it," he said, trying not to sound ingratiating. Thankfully, Alex didn't argue. He sat, perched like a bird of prey on the edge of the armchair.

"All right, now, just what is - are you doing here?" No matter how he tried to justify it in his mind, it felt strange to use plurals when only one person was present. Scratch that, he corrected himself, apparently only one person was present. He had seen enough in the past few years to make him think that there was at least the chance that there was something to his apparent hallucinations.

"We came to make you choose. This has gone on long enough." The emerald eyes smoldered and sparked. Alex stood suddenly and advanced on him, covering the space between them in a few quick steps. Through the motion, his eyes never left Mulder's, holding them captive with their intensity.

"So I have to choose between you and Alyssa here?" Mulder resisted the impulse to roll his eyes. Though he could apprecaite that Alex Krycek had good looks, it was apparent from how women looked at him, their appraising looks always seemed to end in a slight smile, he would rather be in the company of an invisible woman named Alyssa.

"Yes," Alex said tightly, apparently getting annoyed. "What else would I mean? You have to choose between continuing our relationship as we have for the past year, or going with Alyssa. There. Is that plain enough for you or do you need more explanation? Because I can do some demonstrations for you." The emerald orbs were even closer now. Mulder could smell him now, desperation coming off of him in waves.

"Not necessary, I assure you. I'm sorry, I'm sure we've had good times," Mulder said, trying with utmost effort to not choke on his words. "But, I think I'll have to choose Alyssa. It's nothing to do with you, Alex, I just think there's more potential between me and Alyssa." To go the extra mile, he took Alex's hand during the last part. To his surprise, tears welled in the green eyes inches from his.

"All right," Alex said, sounding as though he were swallowing his tongue. "I'll just go then. Leave you two alone. I hope you're very happy." He choked out the last word as he closed the door behind him with a snap.

Mulder sighed and turned the television back on. Figures, he thought. Missed the ending. He began to flip though the channels and suddenly turned it off. He slowly turned and looked at the chair that Krycek had believed Alyssa had been in.

"Ah, forget it all, I'm going to bed," he grumbled and shuffled to his bedroom.

 

***FIN***