Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,043
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
4
Kudos:
5
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,365

Gateways and portals

Summary:

rating: FRT-13
main characters: Angel, Anita Blake
disclaimer: you know they aren't mine.
distribution: Twisting & Mental Wanderings
notes: Twisting's FfA pairing # 608. AU at Becoming - the portal didn't quite go to a dimension of fiery torment.

Work Text:

Gateways and portals
by Lucinda

 

Angel had a few moments of twisting confusion before he was falling. Straight into a cemetery, complete with rows of modest headstones and a dark haired woman slitting open a chicken.

Needless to say, he was a bit confused. A moment ago, he'd been in a mansion, blinking in confusion at the sight of Buffy holding a sword, and before that, he could remember her birthday party. But where had the time between gone, and how did he get here? For that matter, where was 'here' anyhow?

Every bone and muscle in his body ached as he forced himself to sit up. Thank God he hadn't crashed into a tombstone, or landed on the woman. He tried to look around, hoping for some clues - where was he? What was happening?

A group of people in suits clustered near a grave, and the woman had just opened up the chicken over it. He could smell blood ad herbs, and decaying flesh, mingling badly with the expensive perfume from the crowd. A person that could only be a lawyer stepped forward as the zombie emerged from the grave, holding a stack of papers.

Zombie? Lawyers approaching the zombie? What sort of weird place was this? Confused, he waited and listened, hoping that he might overhear something to help give a few answers.

Okay, he was in St. Louis, it was May, the woman was Ms. Blake, and apparently, he'd somehow ended up in a parallel or alternate dimension.

"I feel you lurking, vampire. Did Jean-Claude send you?" The woman's voice was crisp, and definitely unamused.

For a few moments, Angel debated remaining silent. But if she could raise a zombie and feel his presence, what else could this strange woman do? "I don't know Jean-Claude, and I didn't want to interrupt."

She spun around, glaring at him suspiciously. "If you don't know who's the Master of the City, why are you here, vampire?"

"My name is Angel, and I fell through a portal. It opened about thirty feet up, and I think in some weird, alternate dimension. I've never heard of lawyers flocking to graveside zombie risings before. And a few minutes ago, I was in California." He rolled one shoulder, frowning at the dull ache and loud cracklings. "Damn, that wasn't a good landing."

"And you didn't have time to bring your coffin along?" She glared, looking up at his eyes as if she expected him to squirm. "That's the most ridiculous story that I've ever heard."

"A coffin? I woke up in one after my funeral, that was quite enough for me." Angel shivered, and then looked towards the city. "You make it sound like everybody knows about vampires here, or at least, the horror movie version, Ms. Blake."

"We do." She was glaring, and he thought he could see the edge of a scar at her elbow, just below her rolled up sleeve. "And unfortunately, vampires are now legal citizens, after Addison vs. Clarke, vampires are now legal in America, expected to pay taxes and follow all the laws."

"Legal citizens?" Angel blinked, feeling more dazed than when he'd hit the ground. "I think I need to sit down."

"You... you really seem surprised by this." The woman sounded almost as confused as he felt. "You didn't know?"

"I got sucked into a fiery ring that twisted everything around and spat me out here. I'm pretty sure this isn't the same world. Legal vampires... Zombies called up for legal consultations... What else do you have here?"

"Anti-discrimination laws for lycanthropes, a mandatory death penalty for malicious use of magic, preserves for endangered species, like the lesser Smokey Mountain troll..." She paused, and frowned at his stare. "I have a degree in Preturnatural Biology. I can do more than raise zombies."

"Okay..." Angel shook his head, trying to reassure the woman. "But the more you tell me about things, the less it sounds like home."

"Hmmm." She shook her head, and sighed. "Why don't you just get a hotel room and try to figure it all out. There's some in the Blood District that even come complete with sun-proof curtains."

"Can I get one with internet? That way I can try to figure out a bit about this crazy world during the daytime." Angel looked mostly towards the gates, watching her from the corner of his eye.

"During...?" She sounded stunned, and was gaping at him. "Aren't you dead during the day?"

"No more than I am at any other time." Angel turned to face her. "I can't go outside in the sunshine - I don't know of any vampire that can, but... I don't think that's what you mean, is it Ms. Blake?"

"This is too much..." She pulled out a cell phone and started dialing. "I think I'm starting to believe you're crazy story after all. Welcome to St. Louis, Angel, and you might as well call me Anita."

Angel listened in bemusement as Anita talked first to someone called Jason and then to the previously mentioned Jean-Claude, neither of whom sounded particularly happy. Jean-Claude ended up demanding that 'the stranger' be brought 'to the Circus', with audible capitalization. Anita closed the phone with a sigh, and glanced at Angel.

"Why am I supposed to go to a circus?" He asked, feeling bewildered.

"Because the Circus of the Damned is his headquarters." Anita sighed, and then glanced at her watch. "At least this was my last zombie for the night."

"Why is it called the Circus of the Damned?" Angel wasn't quite certain if he wanted to know, but felt the need to ask.

"Probably because of the vampire clowns." Anita couldn't quite hide her shudder. "As far as I know, all the employees are vampires or shifters. It's a publicity thing, and people love to go see the dangerous and different in a way that's supposed to be safe."

Angel shook his head and followed her to her car. "Vampire clowns... That's just... wrong."

 

End Gateways and Portals.