Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,003
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
1,332

Old Softie

Summary:

Pairing: Tony/Gibbs
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: Not mine. No money has changed hands.
Archive: Yes to WWOMB. Others please ask.
Summary: Gibbs is a schmoopy.
Feedback: Yes sir may I have another.
Notes: Unbetaed nonsense. Inspired by Beverly Crusher’s call for fluff. Songfic warning.
Dedicated to my Poodle. You are my second favorite person born on December 25th.

Work Text:

Old Softie
by Sonia

 

"The moon definitely affects me. It puts things in a new perspective, you know."

"Everything affects you, DiNozzo. You know what's affecting me now?"

Tony knew better than to ask but he did anyway.

"What's that, Boss?" Gibbs could hear the grin in Tony's voice.

"Lack of sleep. Stop talking."

Tony ignored the harsh tone and opened his arms. Gibbs' moved closer and squished his nose into the crook of Tony's neck. The deep scenting sniff Gibbs took tickled Tony a little. The fact that Gibbs was a cuddler was one of the better surprises of their relationship. The biggest surprise of all was that Tony found himself in love for the first time. He had been in lust, in desire and in deep like but never in love. Being with Gibbs wasn't easy but it was worth the effort.

Gibbs took Tony's hand and brought it up to his lips. "Night, Tony." Gibbs held the captured hand loosely in his. He liked falling asleep this way.

"Is it past midnight?" Tony whispered.

"Yes." He grumbled.

"Today is September 28th. It's the Harvest Moon." Tony said wistfully.

"Tony, I have to get up in exactly four hours and 17 minutes. Please go to sleep."

He squeezed his lover's hand a little harder. Tony knew he was serious now. Gibbs had used the word "please". Tony wasn't ready to sleep yet but he stayed quiet for a few minutes. He peeked between the curtains, and saw the big bright moon. He smiled.

"You know that Neil Young song "Harvest Moon"? It's not about the moon actually. It's a love song. It's...pretty and it says things I always hoped I'd feel for someone."

He hesitated slightly. He wanted to get this right.

"You know, things that you would like to hear from someone that you felt that way about." He squirmed a little. Even Tony didn't understand what he'd just said.

"What I mean is...Jethro?" He turned his head and saw the slack expression on Gibbs' face. He was out like a light. Tony sighed, kissed his forehead and turned onto his stomach to try and sleep.

Even though everyone knew they were together, it was in both their natures to be discreet. Well,really ti was in Gibbs' nature. Tony didn't mind the separate arrivals and departures. Gibbs got up at 4:30 am to run. Tony tried to follow his routine once. It gave him an understanding as to why Gibbs drank a gallon of coffee every day. He was asleep at his desk by 2:30 that day.

When he stayed at Gibbs' house, Tony would shower, dress and leave before Gibbs got back from his run. He was perfectly welcome to sleep in. He just didn't like sleeping alone anymore.

A couple of days later he arrived at his desk before anyone else was in the office. On top of all the unfinished paperwork was a CD. A note in Gibbs' precise block print was attached.

"Play me."

He popped the CD out of its plastic case and opened the drive. There was another note in the tray.

"I'd be a fool not to feel this way about you."

Tony closed the drive, started the program to play the CD. He recognized the music right away. Neil Young's unique voice started crooning softly.

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin'
We could dream this night away.

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now it's gettin' late
And the moon is climbin' high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin' in your eye.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon.

The flare of emotion that coursed through Tony made him gasp. He didn't think Jethro heard him rambling on that night. He knew Gibbs loved him. It was just nice to *know* it. The song started playing over again.

"Hey."

Tony startled at the hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked up at Gibbs with unshed tears burning his eyes. The brilliant smile Jethro received was worth the embarrassment of having to ask Abby to make the special CD. He held out his hand as a silent request for a dance.

Tony frowned. "Um Boss? Cameras?"

"I called in a few markers. Our system is mysteriously down for the next few minutes."

Tony stood up and put his arms around Jethro's waist. They swayed together gently.

Jethro leaned in for a kiss. Tony held back.

"Why Leroy Jethro Gibbs." He teased his lover. "You're an old softie at heart."

Gibbs frowned slightly. "A softie? Maybe. As for being old, I can still kick your ass Agent DiNozzo and don't you forget it."

Tony gave him a brief peck on the lips and chuckled. "That's my Gunny. I just had to make sure you weren't a pod person."

Gibbs gave Tony his best shark like grin. "Oh I see I can't be romantic, huh?"

Gibbs nearly threw his back out dipping Tony.

 

The End