Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2005-02-15
Words:
3,900
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
9
Hits:
2,122

Sprung From My Only Hate

Summary:


PAIRING: Harry/OC
DISCLAIMER: Yeah, definitely not my characters. Or setting. My plot, though!
RATING: PG
SUMMARY: My only love sprung from my only hate! Too early seen unknown, and known too late! Prodigious birth of love it is to me, that I must love a loathed enemy.
SPOILERS: All HP books including OoTP
CATEGORY: Romance

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Getting to Know You

Chapter Text

When Ron had written to Harry that summer, it had come as quite a shock. Over their 6th year, the two boys had begun to grow apart, and in Harry's mind it was his own entire fault. Ron, like Hermione, had taken the news that Harry was gay fairly well. However, unlike Hermione, Ron also had to deal with Harry's not so small crush on him, which Harry had informed Ron had been an issue since the end of 3rd year. Try as he might to be accepting of Harry's sexuality, this news made Ron quite uncomfortable and the redhead had avoided him since last November leaving Harry quite heart broken. While Harry had a few relationships over the course of his 6th year, he hadn't really gotten over the loss of Ron, as either a lover or even a friend. So when Harry received the message that Ron wished to meet him at the Leaky Cauldron, his surprise had overridden his eagerness to see his old friend, and Harry approached Ron, sitting at a small table at the back of the pub, with apprehension.

Ron glanced up from his nervous study of the drink in his hand and nodded once when he saw Harry approaching.

"Hey there, Ron." Harry attempted a friendly smile.

"Harry." Ron was barely fighting his impulse to walk away and a tinge of pink was appearing on his cheeks. Without waiting for an invitation he knew he wouldn't get, Harry sat in the seat across from Ron. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Harry tried a subject he hoped would make the meeting more comfortable.

"So, the Cannons have been doing well this season."

"They got a new Keeper this year."

"They get a new Keeper every year."

"True." Ron sighed. " Harry, I'm a bloody Gryffindor, you think I'd be able to say what I need to." He gave his first small smile of the evening.

"Well, what do you need to say?" Harry tried not to get his hopes up. Ron had proven his utter hetero-ness all last year. Ron couldn't possibly be about to say that he was interested in a relationship. 'Maybe he just wants to apologize.' Harry waited for Ron to continue.

"Harry, I realize that we haven't been exactly what one would call friends this past year," The speech sounded decidedly rehearsed. "but I felt I should tell you this in person, seeing as how, in theory, we are friends. I guess you heard the rumors that went around about me, or heard from Hermione, right?"

" About you developing the Sight?" Ron nodded "Yeah, I heard. What about it?"

" Well, I've been accepted at a new school. One in Belgium that concentrates on developing Seer abilities."

" That's great, Ron." Harry's stomach plummeted as he heard Ron's next words.

" I'm not going to Hogwarts this year. Harry, I wanted to apologize for my behavior last year before I left for school tomorrow."

Harry was on the verge of crying. He had hoped that their friendship could be repaired like it always had been in the past. They had been friends since their first day at Hogwarts and now, after 5 years of friendship and a year of avoidance, they were officially splitting up. It was too late to fix things now. Harry swallowed and merely nodded at his former friend. The only thing that he let betray his distress was a slight waiver to his answer.

" I accept your apology." They both nodded their heads and Ron stood up from the table, turned and began to walk away.

To Ron's retreating back Harry quickly said "I'll really miss you, mate." Ron paused for a second and then continued out the door without acknowledging Harry's words.

A few mutinous tears slid down Harry's cheek as he rested his forehead in his palms.

Harry was fiercely attempting not to cry again as he sat alone in a compartment of the Hogwarts express and considered his last conversation with the boy who had been his best friend. He was startled when he heard the door slide open.

"Anyone sitting there?" a boy asked, pointing at the seat opposite Harry. "Everywhere else is full." Harry looked up to see a pale boy with shoulder length, messy black hair and dark blue eyes

" Deja vu." Harry muttered

" What?" The blue eyed boy raised an eyebrow.

" Sorry, I heard that same line a long time ago." Harry grinned weakly at the newest reminder of Ron. "No, no ones sitting there. Come on in."

"Thanks. I'm Keiran."

"Harry Potter." If Keiran recognized Harry's name then he must be a fantastic actor, because no surprise or awe showed on the boy's face. Harry took a moment to tentatively look Keiran over. He was fairly short, perhaps only an inch or so taller then Harry's own, pathetic 5'6". He was wearing a tight fitting white button-up shirt which had the top and bottom buttons open, exposing a highly intriguing line of dark hair that went from his navel into his equally tight fitting black trousers. Over it was a light blue velvet cloak pushed behind his shoulders and fastened at his neck with a silver clasp. Harry's eyes finally returned to the boy's face. His left eyebrow had again risen and there was a slightly amused smirk on his face. Harry brow furrowed. That face looked oddly familiar.

" Quite finished?"

Harry flushed a bit, but retained his cool. " Aren't you going to sit down?"

" Well that would have blocked your view." The boy was shaking a bit with suppressed laughter.

'Damn' Harry thought. 'I've been able to check guys out for a year and now and this bloke figures me out in 2 minutes.' " Just sit."

" If you insist." He took the seat across from Harry, still grinning. Harry lifted a hand to flatten his hair over his scar, a nervous habit even when he wasn't really trying to hide his identity.

"So, are you new? I've never seen you around?"

"Yeah, I was going to Canestella Accademia di Magia, in Italy, but I had to leave."

"Why?"

"My mother died and I had to move closer to where my uncle lives." A sadness began to lurk behind the grin which no longer reached his eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry, you don't have to talk to me about it if you don't want to. I was just curious, I mean..."

"No, no it's ok. I'm really ok with it. She was always sick with something or other and at least now I know she's not suffering anymore." They fell silent for a minute. " Also, leaving the school isn't exactly what I would call a loss."

"Why not?"

"Too many homophobes."

"Really." 'YES! Oh, yes, bloody hell!' "Well, Hogwarts has its fair share of the closed-minded, but I've never known there to really be a problem."

Harry sat for a moment as Keiran watched him carefully.

Harry blushed and began to compulsively flatten the front of his hair again, which amused the other boy highly.

"Stop doing that, it makes you look like another unfortunate victim of the hair Gods."

"Ugh, I am an unfortunate victim of the hair Gods."

"No you're not, you just don't know what to do with it. Stop that!" Keiran slapped his hand away from his head and began to rearrange pieces of his hair. " Just for your information, your bangs do not cover your charming little imperfection and despite that... interesting grooming procedure of yours, you are quite recognizable."

"You know who I am?"

" From the moment I walked through that door." He paused and smiled. "I never expected that the Boy Who Lived would be gay."

"Don't call me that. Wait, you figured that out as well?"

"I'm perceptive and you didn't exactly hide the fact that you were checking me out."

Harry smiled nervously and blushed, before making a quick attempt at a change of topic.

" You really look familiar. Could I know anyone you're related to?" It had been bothering Harry to no end that he couldn't place whom Keiran resembled. He noticed, with surprise, that Keiran was blushing and had lost his amused smile for the first time since the trip had started.

" Um, I really don't know, maybe."

' He must come from an unsavory family.' "Well, I guess it's not that important." Harry then decided to finally get around to his favorite topic of conversation.

" Do you like Quidditch?"

The amused and almost relieved smile returned to Keiran's face. " Of course I do! I'm gay."

Harry was taken aback. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, come off it. A bunch muscular blokes riding brooms and sticking out their arses? What's not to like?"

Harry snorted. " I never thought about that way. That will make it infinitely harder to keep my mind on the game."

The comfortable conversation continued for the rest of the journey to Hogwarts and when the two boys finally got out of their thestral pulled carriage, Harry was disappointed to see Professor McGonagal coming to get Keiran.

" I suppose you're going to get sorted now."

"Right. Promise me, whatever happens, that I'll definitely see you later?"

"Don't worry, I wouldn't miss it for the world. What could possibly happen?"

"You never know." and with that, Keiran headed for the stern witch and Harry headed towards the castle that was his home.

Harry was sitting in the Great Hall across from Hermione when he saw Professor McGonagal make her way to the front of the school where the sorting hat was sitting on its usual 3-legged stool. Keiran was close behind her, the both of them followed by the usual group of slightly ill looking first years.

" The sorting will start off with a new 7th year who is joining us this term. I'm sure he will receive a warm welcome from you all."

"Snape, Keiran"