Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
533
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,351

Restless Thoughts

Summary:

Commander Adama/Colonel Tigh. Tigh is up late, brooding.

Work Text:

Sleep does not come easily to me. It never has. I've always been restless and moody. The current war has not helped my temper, but at least I've been able to channel my anger into something constructive. Namely, doing my part to keep all of us alive.

Everyone around here from the President down through the military and civilians pushes himself or herself to the utmost limits day after day. It's what we have to do to survive. Constant vigilance and action or the cylons will surely destroy us.

We must survive or the human race will die with us. In my darker moods, I wonder if that would be such a bad thing. Would it be so terrible to have an end to the pain? Wouldn't it be a relief not to feel hunted anymore?

Then I see his example and I remember why I persevere. He has the strongest iron will of anyone that I have ever met. Surrendering to what the cylons would call inevitable defeat is not an option for him.

The admiration and respect the crew has for him is evident in the way they look at him. They draw strength from him and I am no exception. I don't think I could keep myself together without him.

Hell, I probably would have drowned in a vodka bottle a long time ago if it wasn't for him. I still drink too much but nothing compared to the years when I spent almost every waking hour plastered. I hated myself, my own weakness, but he would never let me give up and I know that his word and faith in me saved my career.

Since we were young pilots in the first cylon war, I've followed him and have been honored to do so. He's saved my life countless times, not to mention my soul. If it's not too emotional to say, he's my light in the darkness.

I do all in my power to make his burdens easier. He's very good at hiding it but I know him well enough to see the fatigue hidden in his dark eyes. It's not surprising. The strain he's under would break a lesser man.

He shifts closer to me in the darkness and nuzzles my ear. "Stop brooding and go to sleep, Saul," his gravelly voice whispers.

I wrap my arms around him tightly and run my hands down his bare back. He's always insisted that we sleep skin-to-skin. Who am I to argue with that? "Is that an order, Commander?"

He nips my earlobe with sharp teeth. "Didn't I tell you that there's no rank in bed, Colonel?"

I hiss. "So, you did."

"Go to sleep. We're in for a long day."

I chuckle. "They're all long."

He sighs. "Too true."

I quietly hold him until his breath evens out again in sleep. I run a hand through his thick hair and shut my eyes. His calming presence finally allows my active mind to rest.