Dining Out

By Nynaeve

nyn-tkd@usa.net

Obsenad written because I had talked about Highlander on-list. Also to keep Margaret's badgers at bay, but that's a whole different matter :) Imagine my surprise when this earned me a key to aly's basement! Go me!

The boys aren't mine. Any offense to Denny's restaurants...is meant. But only in the most joking of ways!

Pre-slash

*~~~~*

The top half of Blair's head popped up over the large menu he was holding. "So, what are you getting?"

Jim looked up from where he had been idly drumming his fingers on top of his own folded menu. "Sandburg, what does that matter? You've been looking at that menu for fifteen minutes now. You know all the choices...probably memorized 'em. At this point, what difference could it possibly make what I'm getting?"

Blair's eyes narrowed a little before his head disappeared behind the menu again and Jim felt a twinge deep inside. Blair always projected such gentleness that when he showed signs of rougher emotions, like the mildly pissed-off look he had just flashed, Jim usually found himself responding with surprise. Lately that response was to grow an immediate hard-on.

He shook out his napkin and dropped it into his lap before trying to talk to Blair again. "Isn't there anything that looks good to you?"

Blair lowered the menu and gave Jim an inscrutable look before answering. "Sure! This place sounds like they have really good food and that's the problem, man." He looked back down at his menu. "What do you think they mean by 'spicy'? Do you think it's like 'make your mouth tingle' or like 'ai-chi-wawa'?"

Jim stared at Blair and licked his lips, his own mouth tingling with imagined sensations. There was no way that Blair could know how sexy that last sentence had been. No way. And anyway, even if he did there was no way that he could suspect how it would affect Jim. Jim was pretty sure he had been doing a good job of hiding his recent lustful thoughts about his roommate.

He gave his head a little shake and then snapped, "Sandburg, what the hell are you talking about?"

Blair blinked up at Jim and then muttered something about hungry bears and hurt paws.

"You're damn right I'm hungry, Chief. So if you don't make up your mind in the next two minutes, I'm ordering for both of us and then you're stuck. Got it?"

"But Jiiiiim, that's not fair, man!"

"Tough shit."

"Look, let me just ask the waiter if they do substitutions. I really want a spinach salad but they don't have it on the menu. However, they do advertise a spinach garnish on their Ahi course. Maybe they'll work with me."

"Chief, this better not turn into another Denny's disaster."

Blair glared at him and Jim felt his groin tighten further. "That wasn't what I would call a disaster, Jim. You're making a big deal out of nothing."

"You asked the waitress if she could make you an egg white omelet with feta and olives. The cook came out and yelled at us." Jim deadpanned.

Blair rolled his eyes and returned to looking at his menu. "So, you gonna tell me what you're getting or not?"

Jim grinned and shook his head at his tenacious partner. "I thought I'd try the blackened tuna."

Blair dropped his menu with a clatter as it hit his plate and he leaned over the table. "Jim, are you crazy? What about your senses, man? You might as well peel all the tastebuds completely off your tongue!"

"Woah, Chief, hold up." Jim put his hand out and patted Blair's warm cheek. He pulled his hand back in mild annoyance at himself, then curled his fingers around his palm to savor the sensation. He eyed the man across the table from him with amusement. "I'm a little surprised at you, Blair. We've been working on this senses thing for, what, three years now? You've taught me a lot and I've paid attention. If you don't think you've given me enough control to eat spicy food like I used to, then I have to say, I'm a little hurt at your lack of confidence." He smiled to show that he wasn't really angry.

Blair sat back and folded his arms across his chest. The two men gazed at each other for a moment and then Blair chuckled and ran a hand back through his hair. "You're right. You go ahead and eat what you like, Jim. After all, that's been the point of everything we've done. To make your senses a tool you can use for whatever you need. You really think you've reached that kind of control?"

"I really do." Jim was still smiling.

"Cool! I'm proud of you, Jim."

Jim's smiled faded as he considered that. Proud? But Blair was the one who did all the thinking. Jim just did what he was told. "Chief if you wanna be proud of someone, be proud of yourself. I'm just the grunt in this partnership."

Blair smiled softly and shrugged a careless shoulder as he lowered his eyes back to his menu. "If you say so." They were silent for another minute and then Blair said, "Do you think they would be willing to sauté the carrots instead of boiling them?"

Jim groaned, amused, and settled back into his seat. They might never get to eat tonight, but if it meant that he got to spend the whole evening with Blair then it was worth it. He shifted in his seat, easing his pants into a more comfortable position and set about surreptitiously admiring the way the indirect lighting made his partner's eyelashes seem to glow. Dining out with Blair was always worth it, even if they were likely to get yelled at by the chef of "Le Petit Chou."

*~~~~*

End...for now!

E-mail me!

Back to Nyn's Fanfic