Red Shoe Diaries Spec Script
by D.L. Warner
Kimberly

OPENING MONTAGE

Jake walking with his dog to the diner, retrieving his mail from the post box, then heading to the wharf.

EXT. WHARF - DAY

Jake reads the letter.

JAKE
I don't suppose you've ever received a letter about betraying a job. I know it sounds kind of pathetic compared to the loss of the love of a lifetime. But isn't betraying the essence of who and what you are as important? Isn't the loss of self as powerful? It was for me, because it was all I had.

GO TO:

INT. ABBOTT FINANCIAL GROUP - DAY

A well-appointed suite of offices from the elegant reception area; from the handsome meeting rooms to the secretarial pool of spacious, tasteful cubicles and large work areas. A GROUP OF WORKMEN are putting the finishing touches on remodeling.

INT. SECRETARIAL POOL - DAY

The camera pans past desk upon desk at which BEAUTIFUL WOMEN in tight skirts and low cut blouses sit either talking to one another or on the phone about personal business. The camera centers on KIMBERLY, a twentysomething woman who may or may not have a good figure. It's hard to determine from the clothes she wears. She has an ordinary face and nondescript hair and thick frame glasses. She is also the only one really working. Kimberly is, in fact, juggling several tasks at the same time.

KIMBERLY (VO)
I'd long given up on relationships. I didn't seem to have what it took to attract anyone in my arena. But I had my work and I prided myself on my professionalism and ethics.

The intercom buzzes.

KIMBERLY
Yes, Mr. Abbott?

ABBOTT (ON INTERCOM)
Do you have those reports?

KIMBERLY
Yes, Mr. Abbott.

ABBOTT (ON INTERCOM)
Excellent. Bring all of them to my office.

KIMBERLY
Right away, sir.

A few of the women are seen rolling their eyes as Kimberly struggles to gather a huge pile of paperwork in neatly labeled folders and binders then hurries to the large row of offices at the end of the secretarial pool.

GO TO:

INT. ABBOTT'S OFFICE - DAY

An extravagant office with a view of the city. FRANKLIN ABBOTT, a graying gentleman in his late 40s, fit with a healthy tan. He is in rolled up shirt sleeves considering a vast array of papers as Kimberly enters.

KIMBERLY
Here is today's correspondence for your signature. Here are the finished business plans for the new branch, and your travel plans for the next two weeks.

ABBOTT
Geesh, Kimberly. It isn't even ten yet. You do amazing work.

KIMBERLY
Thank you, Mr. Abbott.

ABBOTT
Have a seat, Kimberly.

KIMBERLY
Do I need my pad, sir?

ABBOTT
No, no, just relax a minute. I want to talk to you about something. Um, have a bottled water or something.

Kimberly sits and takes the offered water but does not drink. She is obviously uncomfortable.

ABBOTT
I suppose you've noticed all the renovations going on in the office.
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, sir. I really like how the cubicles have been arranged for more space. Everything looks so stylish and elegant.
 
ABBOTT
Absolutely. The company is retooling itself to suit a younger, e-commerce demographic. We want to look rich, sophisticated and very attractive. We're going for a total package.
 
KIMBERLY
Well, that's... interesting. But wouldn't the company's reputation alone be enough to attract such clients?
 
ABBOTT
Maybe, but we don't want to take the chance.
(beat)
Now, these changes could be uncomfortable for people like you.
 
KIMBERLY
People like me.
 
ABBOTT
Exactly. We love your work, Kimberly and would hate to have an environment that you wouldn't be comfortable in.
 
KIMBERLY
I appreciate that, sir.
 
ABBOTT
I knew you would. That's why I think you'll be happy about the position I've secured for you with one of our top clients.
 
KIMBERLY
Excuse me, sir?
 
ABBOTT
We didn't know what we would have done what with lawsuits and everything, but fortunately Dagmar Olanoff has solved the problem for us.
 
KIMBERLY
You don't want me to stay?
 
ABBOTT
Hey, I'd love to keep you. I know that after you've gone, I'll never be able to get the right plane. But the board wants a new image and Ms. Olanoff sought you out to be her new personal assistant. She's wealthy and powerful and this new position could launch a whole new career for you. You should be flattered.
 
KIMBERLY
It's a little sudden.
 
ABBOTT
I know. I know. Tell you what; why don't you take the rest of the day to get used to the idea. We're giving you your severance whether you work or not. Ms. Olanoff will send for you when she's ready.
 
KIMBERLY
Thank you... I guess. I'll go clear out my desk.
 
ABBOTT
That's what I'll miss most, you're such a team player.

KIMBERLY
Yes, sir.

Kimberly shuffles out of the office completely dejected.

GO TO:

INT. SECRETARIAL POOL - DAY

Kimberly is doggedly clearing out her desk amidst the snickers of the other women who are still not really doing any work. Before she finishes, Abbott is walking through the office with BUFFY, a young twentysomething in a short skirt and plunging blouse. He points over to Kimberly's desk before escorting the woman into his office.

KIMBERLY (VO)
At least, I thought I had my work. At that moment I didn't believe there was a client who wanted me. There didn't seem to be any reward for hard work or even working at all.

GO TO:

INT. KIMBERLY'S APARTMENT HALLWAY - AFTERNOON

It's an old fashioned building with wide wooden molding which has been painted over several times. Kimberly stumbles into the vestibule with her boxes from work and finds herself face to face with CHARITY, a statuesque red head in a chauffeur's uniform. She looks down at Kimberly with a barely suppressed sneer. She holds out a white card.

CHARITY
Dagmar Olanoff requests your presence for an interview tomorrow morning.

Kimberly swallows hard.

KIMBERLY
H-how do I get there?
 
CHARITY
I will pick you up promptly at eight.

Charity stalks off.

GO TO:

EXT. DAGMAR'S ESTATE - MORNING

Kimberly is in Dagmar's town car being driven up a winding driveway to a large house that overlooks the sea.

KIMBERLY (VO)
I was reluctant to go especially after meeting the Amazon Vargas girl. The last thing I wanted was to be around another sexpot, but I was going to have to pay the rent once the severance ran out. And I admit it, I was intrigued. No employer had ever sent for me. Then I found out just how rich and powerful she was.

INT. DAGMAR'S MANSION - MORNING

Kimberly is lead through a house that screams elegance and sensuality. Among the decor are paintings and statues of an erotic nature, all rendered with the greatest taste. The furniture have coverings of soft leather. She is obviously uncomfortable with her own appearance in such a setting, checking herself in the reflections of the many mirrors placed about the estate.

On her way to the office, Kimberly nearly runs into STEVE, a young very well built man with a great tan. His face is exotic, even beautiful. He smiles at Kimberly in a genuine, appreciative manner. She is startled and unnerved by the attention.

KIMBERLY
Excuse me.
 
STEVE
No problem.
 
CHARITY
This way, please. We can't keep Ms. Olanoff waiting.

INT. MANSION OFFICE - MORNING

The office is even more elegant than Abbott's office and has a spectacular view of the ocean. It too has a very sensuous feel.

CHARITY
Wait here.

Kimberly looks out the window and whistles.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
It is fabulous, isn't it?
Kimberly turns to see DAGMAR, a beautiful woman in her early 40s who looks like an refined gypsy, a long thick braid hanging down the middle of her back. She has high cheekbones and deep set green eyes. She is appraising Kimberly who squares her shoulders and looks her in the eyes. Dagmar smiles.
 
KIMBERLY
You have a lovely office, Ms. Olanof.
 
DAGMAR
My name is Dagmar and this is not my office. This will be your office. I loathe offices. If I could do everything from my deck chaise, I would. But there are necessities even in a small business like mine.
 
KIMBERLY
Small? You're one of the wealthiest and most innovative venture capitalists in the country.

Dagmar smiles again.

DAGMAR
You've done your research.
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, Ms... er, Dagmar.
 
DAGMAR
I have researched you as well. Impressive schools, excellent reviews. Wonderful recommendations. Abbott is an idiot to let you go.
(beat)
The hours are long and we're in a remote location. If you take the job, you will be living here. Your room will have a similar view. Your first assignment will be to audit my account with your former employer. Make sure everything is in order, then find a company to replace them. I don't like this new direction Abbott is taking.
(beat)
I expect you to research every company that comes to me for investment. I expect you to anticipate new trends. I want your honest assessments. Do you think you can handle that?
 
KIMBERLY
Yes! I've waited years to do that!
 
DAGMAR
Excellent. There is just one more thing, my dear.
 
KIMBERLY
(nervously)
Yes?
 
DAGMAR
In the interest of avoiding unnecessary embarrassment and lawsuits, a certain measure of disclosure is required. I am a hedonist and I live a life that pursues all the pleasures of the flesh. I am also a Dominatrix. I won't be chasing you round the desk, but I want to make sure you are comfortable in an atmosphere of open sexuality. If this presents any difficulty I will gladly offer references to whatever other employer you seek.
 
KIMBERLY
I understand. It's funny, but I think I was working in an atmosphere of sexuality all along. It just wasn't in the open. I think I'll be comfortable as long as I'm allowed to do my work.
 
DAGMAR
Then I think you'll fit in fine. Charity will show you to your room.

INT. KIMBERLY'S ROOM - DAY

It is actually a suite with a parlor, large bedroom and large bathroom. Kimberly is gawking at her surrounding as Charity is luging in her possessions.

KIMBERLY (VO)
Of course, it was amazing too. I began to feel like that Tom Cruise character in "The Firm." There had to be a dark side to this dream that involved signing contracts in blood for my immortal soul.

GO TO:

INT. MANSION OFFICE - MONTAGE

Kimberly is doing her usual efficient multi-tasking, reviewing data on the computer and in hard files while working on the phone. Then, going over data to a smiling and appreciative Dagmar.

KIMBERLY (VO)
The job turned out to be everything Dagmar said and more. Within the first few days, she was funding companies purely on my recommendation. I was surprised, however, at how much my new boss' lifestyle affected me. Before I had seen skirts so short I could have been a gynecologist and heard enough sexual escapades to take on Dr. Ruth. But that was nothing compared to my new job.

GO TO:

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - MORNING

Early the next morning finds Kimberly staring out at the beach from her window. Steve is coming out of the surf in the tiniest of bathing suits. He notices her and waves causing her to dart away from the window mortified.

INT. OUTSIDE MANSION KITCHEN - DAY

Kimberly is exiting the kitchen with a cup of coffee in hand. On the way back to her office, she spies Steve and Dagmar in action. Steve is trussed up to something like a workbench with Dagmar straddling him. She can't see much because her boss is wearing a crimson silk robe, but they are both writhing in ecstacy. Kimberly is captivated, intrigued by the restraints.

INT. OUTSIDE MASTER BATH - DAY

Kimberly spies both Steve and Charity through the open door to the master bath bathing Dagmar in her sunken tub. Suds and weather obscure a lot, but she is shaken nonetheless.

INT. OUTSIDE STEVE'S BEDROOM - DAY

Kimberly walks by Steven's bedroom on her way to hers late one night. His door is ajar and the blanket is low on his body as he sleeps awash in moonlight. He is beautiful. Kimberly looks longingly at him.

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Kimberly lies in her bed trying to sleep as she hears Steve and Dagmar having loud, passionate sex. It makes her toss and turn.

KIMBERLY (VO)
I thought that seeing this constant flesh feast would desensitize me, but it wasn't so. I began to look for opportunities to witness the Dagmar at work, especially with Steve.
(beat)
It was a relief of sorts to know that I could think about anything besides work. But thinking made me realize how much I wanted it.

GO TO:

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT - DREAM SEQUENCE

Kimberly is at her vanity brushing her hair. She is wearing a gossamer nightgown. Steve enters. First, he takes the brush from her and brushes her hair. Then he drops the brush in favor of kissing her. Kimberly becomes a wild woman stripping Steve then pushing him onto the bed and shackling him to her four poster bed. She then straddles him for a hard ride while he watches her in adoration.

KIMBERLY (VO)
I suppose there's nothing wrong with having a healthy fantasy life. It sure seems healthier than dreaming of creating your own mutual fund. Wanting to chain Steve down and lick things off his body was at least understandable.

GO TO:

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT - REALITY

Kimberly starts awake. She is breathless and agitated. She gets up and has a glass of water while staring out the window.

KIMBERLY (VO)
Besides, it was the dead of night, and that's when fantasies are supposed to happen. And everything would have been fine it that's where my fantasies remained. But this... this sexual energy was everywhere at all times of the day.

GO TO:

INT. MANSION OFFICE - DAY - DREAM SEQUENCE

Kimberly is leaning back in her chair in bliss while a very scantily clad Steve is giving her an expert pedicure and Charity is feeding her fruit. The phone is ringing off the hook.

KIMBERLY
Get the phone, sweetie. I am simply unavailable right now.

INT. MANSION OFFICE - REALITY

Kimberly starts to her senses to find that the phone really is ringing. She tries to snatch it from the cradle but only ends up in dropping the entire phone on the floor. Eventually, she manages to get the receiver to her ear.

KIMBERLY
O-olanoff Enterprises... ah heck... There is nothing but a dial tone. When she finally gets herself up off the floor and the phone back on the desk, Kimberly is really frazzled. Then, to her utter mortification, she glances up at the door to her office, and finds Charity standing there with a smirk on her face. She walks away without comment.
 
KIMBERLY (VO)
Okay, everyone gathers wool now and then. It happens. So long as my work is unaffected, there's no harm, right? Well, under normal circumstances with a normal boss that might be true.
(beat)
But I was working for a Dominatrix who views mistakes as a direct challenge to her authority. And when it came to employee motivation, she had a very big stick to go with the carrot.

GO TO:

INT. MANSION OFFICE - DAY

Kimberly is working at her computer when she is startled by the sound of breaking glass.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Idiot! What were you thinking? That's crystal!
 
CHARITY (OFFSCREEN)
It was an accident, Mistress!

Kimberly rises from her desk and slowly makes her way toward the sound of the commotion.

INT. OUTSIDE MANSION KITCHEN - DAY

She finds Steve standing near the closed kitchen door. He motions for her to be quiet.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Accident, my ass. I've been to lax on you, sweetie. You think that pretty face can allow you to do anything!
(beat)
Get over here.
 
CHARITY (OFFSCREEN)
But Mistress... please.
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Every plea will add five to your punishment. Get over here.

There is a tense silence. Then there is the sound of a paddle on bare flesh.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
That's one.
 
CHARITY (OFFSCREEN)
Owwww....
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Two.

Kimberly starts to move away, but Steven grabs her wrist and pulls her to him.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Three.

Steve covers Kimberly's mouth with one hand the moves to whisper in her ear.

STEVE
You don't want to leave. You wish you could see...
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Four.

STEVE
I've seen you watching...
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Five.
 
STEVE
I know you're listening...

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Six.

Charity is whimpering piteously.

STEVE
I know you've been thinking about it. You can't do anything else.
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Seven.

Kimberly shakes her head vigorously. Steve smiles.

STEVE
Stop fighting it, Kimberly.

INT. MANSION KITCHEN - DAY - FANTASY

We are close by Kimberly as she is clearly bent over and being paddled by Dagmar

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Eight.
 
STEVE (OFFSCREEN)
Not all of it is pain. But you already know that.
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Nine.
 
STEVE (OFFSCREEN)
You've heard me come. You've seen me come.
 
DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Ten.
 
STEVE (OFFSCREEN)
Why just watch?

INT. OUTSIDE MANSION KITCHEN - DAY- REALITY

He sucks at her earlobe making her eyes widen.

DAGMAR (OFFSCREEN)
Now, pick up this mess and try to serve me some lemonade without the shards.

He releases Kimberly who hurries back to her office.

GO TO:

INT. MANSION OFFICE- NEXT DAY

She is working away.

KIMBERLY (VO)
You'd think that little incident would've been an ice cold shower. Whenever there was a humiliating experience at my old job, everyone would hunker down and concentrate twice as hard... at least I did before Dagmar came along.

Kimberly's mind has wandered. Her gaze is on the patio where Steve is sunning himself. She doesn't notice Dagmar's entrance. She is angry. She's holding a report in her hand as she walks in.

DAGMAR
Well, now I understand why I'm holding this gibberish in my hands.

She throws the report on the table.

DAGMAR
It seems that my portfolio isn't as interesting as the scenery.
 
KIMBERLY
I'm sorry, Dagmar. I admit I've been distracted by the surroundings.
 
DAGMAR
I hired you because I found you to be single minded in the face of any amount of frivolity.
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, Dagmar. I am sorry. I'm not usually like this.
 
DAGMAR
I accept such mistakes only once. Slip again and I'll have to re-evaluate your position here.
 
KIMBERLY
I understand completely. And I am terribly sorry.

Kimberly holds her breath as Dagmar turns and exits. A few seconds later Charity passes by with the ever present smirk. Kimberly mentally shakes herself then throws herself into her work.

KIMBERLY (VO)
You couldn't get more of a wake up call than that. And for the rest of the day, I was able to forget all the distractions and fix my blunders.

INT. MANSION - NIGHT

Later that night, Kimberly is finally turning off her lamp, and heads for the kitchen. The house is very dark and quiet as she heads up the stairs with a sandwich and tea.

INT. UPSTAIRS HALLWAY - NIGHT

As she sets down the tray, Steve opens his door. He is wearing only black silk boxers. Kimberly is transfixed.

STEVE
I heard about what happened today, and I had to apologize.
 
KIMBERLY
Apologize?

Steve smiles at her coming closer to where she is standing.

STEVE
I may have been a little provocative. I may have tried to distract you.

KIMBERLY
Why? Don't you want me around?
 
STEVE
Oh, yes. I like having you around. You're one of my favorite fantasies.
 
KIMBERLY
Me?
 
STEVE
Well, your type. You know, the buttoned up plain Jane that's a tiger underneath.

Kim is a little indignant.

KIMBERLY
You think I'm plain?
 
STEVE
No, not at all. You just think you're plain. You've got great hair that you keep braided up.

Steve leans forward. Kimberly closes her eyes and turns her face away. Steve sniffs her hair. She sways slightly towards him.

STEVE
You've got pretty eyes, but you hide them behind the biggest glasses you can find.

Steve takes off the glasses perched on her nose then sets them on the table just inside her door. He tilts her chin up then traces her lips with his finger.

STEVE
I know you're a tiger because of these lips. Lips like these are made for pleasure. I've fantasized about your hair spread out on my pillow. I've wondered what your eyes look like when you are in ecstacy. I wonder all the time how you kiss. So I pushed a little. I'm sorry if it got you in trouble with Dagmar.

Kimberly stares up at him wide-eyed. She stops him when he turns to leave.

KIMBERLY
You weren't pushing me that hard. I was halfway there on my own.
(beat)
I've been having fantasies of my own.

Steve gently pulls her against him. His hands are moving up and down her back making her sigh.

STEVE
That's why Dagmar keeps me around. I'm very, very good at fulfilling fantasies.

Kimberly pulls his head down to kiss him passionately. He maneuvers her backward into the room and shuts the door.

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

The kissing leads to Steve undressing Kimberly. He is gentle and reverent baring her flesh to graceful caresses and kisses. He has her in a couple of positions, but in the last one, she is on top of him riding his body the way she had in her fantasy.

KIMBERLY (VO)
In the end, I blamed the water. It had to be some sort of drug. That's the only way I could explain what happened.

They fall asleep with each other.

KIMBERLY (VO)
And you would think that I would feel at least a little guilty come the light of day. Oh, no. All I could think of in the morning ws how really blue Steve's eyes are in the sunlight.

INT. KIMBERLY'S BEDROOM - NEXT MORNING

Kimberly awakens and stares at Steven for a while. When he opens his eyes, he smiles at her. Then he pulls her in for another kiss. They start to make love again. Both freeze when the door suddenly opens. Charity is in the doorway smirking. She turns on her heel and leaves without a word. Kimberly looks stricken. Steve looks a little guilty. They separate.

GO TO:

INT. DAGMAR'S LIVING ROOM - MORNING

Kimberly and Steve are seated on the opulent sofa. Charity is perched on a nearby overstuffed chair. Dagmar is pacing about. She is clearly vexed.

DAGMAR
I'm presented with several severe violations of my rules here. And there is an overall problem that I must address before my little household falls apart.
(beat)
Steven, you know the number one rule of this house.
 
STEVE
Yes, Mistress. No unauthorized play.

DAGMAR
For that you must be punished, even though I am intrigued how you could be so tempted.
(beat)
Wait for me in the workout room.
 
STEVE
Yes, Mistress.

He manages to catch Kimberly's eye as he leaves and gives her a reassuring wink.

DAGMAR
Now, Kimberly.

Kimberly starts in her seat.

KIMBERLY
Yes, Dagmar?
 
DAGMAR
I told you that I would have to re-evaluate your position here.
 
KIMBERLY
I understand. I can be packed in a couple of hours.

Dagmar begins to pace around Kimberly like a predatory animal. Charity is looking displeased at the course of the conversation.

DAGMAR
It's not that simple, sweetie. You have to answer some questions first. Are you in love with my Steve?
 
KIMBERLY
Well... no.
 
DAGMAR
Why were you with him?
 
KIMBERLY
I don't know how it happened. I was seeing things and hearing things then I began to think about things and there he was with those silk boxers...
 
DAGMAR
What are you thinking about now?
 
KIMBERLY
You'll punish me for being with Steve.
 
DAGMAR
How will I punish you, Kimberly?
 
KIMBERLY
I'll-I'll have to take off my panties and you'll paddle my behind.
 
DAGMAR
And where will I do that, sweetie?
 
KIMBERLY
You'd make me bend over my desk.
 
DAGMAR
And then what?

Kimberly looks mortified.

KIMBERLY
I'd have to work all day with my bare bottom against the leather chair, so I'd remember the punishment.

Dagmar smiles at Kimberly who is so agitated with need that she's about to sob.

DAGMAR
What a delightfully inventive mind you have. But that's why I hired you in the first place.
(beat)
You're new position in this house is as a trainee. Get in your office and wait for your punishment.
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, Dagmar!
 
DAGMAR
Pardon?
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, Mistress!

She hurries off without a backward glance.

GO TO:

INT. MANSION OFFICE - DAY

The POV is from the floor pointed up at Kimberly's desk. Kimberly's face can be seen as well as her hands gripping the edge of the desk. Her head is jerking forward in time with a loud thwack of the paddle. She is enjoying it immensely.

KIMBERLY
I didn't get to any kind of serious work until the disgraceful hour of 10am. Yet I have to admit that I was very focused for the first time in days.
(beat)
And there was another advantage of succumbing to the dark side.

INT. MANSION OFFICE - LATER

Angle through the door into the hallway beyond. Charity walks by in a huff in regular clothes and carrying a suitcase. A short time after she passes by, a door is slammed. Dagmar appears in the door.

DAGMAR
I can't stand snitches. It undermines the harmony of the house. But we'll have to find a nice driving outfit for Steve.
 
KIMBERLY
Yes, Mistress.
 
KIMBERLY (VO)
So, here I am, Red Shoes, shamelessly wallowing in hedonism. But despite my feelings that I've somehow betrayed my work ethic, I'm more productive than I've ever been. And a heck of a lot happier.

INT. ABBOTT FINANCIAL GROUP - DAY

Dagmar and a more stylish yet still buttoned down Kimberly are being fawned over by EXECUTIVES. Toiling away in the background is an angry Charity, trying to answer a dozen lines at once. Kimberly notices this and indulges a small smile before Steve comes along to carry her briefcase.

GO TO:

EXT. WHARF - DAY

Jake is smiling and shaking his head.

JAKE
I think she has more of a work ethic than me or any other man. I'd never get anything done at that house except have a sore bottom.
END

Home