Daniel in Command: Episode 2
To Heal A Broken Wing, Part 1

by Night Spring


"PX2-8F9," Sam said.

An image of lush trees filled the presentation screen.

"We first connected to this planet several weeks ago," Sam continued. "SG-15 and 16 have made several trips for preliminary exploration and set-up of survey equipment."

A few more images, each filled with verdant plant life and breathtaking landscapes, followed in quick succession.

"The planet is rich in various natural resources, including what appears to be a significant deposit of naquadah, as well as other precious minerals and fossil fuels, and some of the plants could have useful medicinal properties."

"No plants," Jack said.

"We've instituted precautionary measures to ensure the base won't be overrun by plants again, General," said Dr. Lee.

Jack threw the significantly considerable weight of his full skeptical displeasure at the scientist's light-hearted optimism, making him squirm and look around for a hole to hide in.

"Ahem," Daniel cleared his throat loudly. Dr. Lee sighed in relief as Jack's attention swerved to Daniel. "SG-15 and 16 also found some signs of previous occupation on the planet," Daniel said, picking up the presentation remote and clicking through several images of long-abandoned crumbling buildings almost overgrown with plants. "Apparently, the Goa'uld tried to colonize the planet at some point, but then abandoned it. I'd like to take Blair," Daniel exchanged warm, eager grins with the anthropologist seated next to himself, "and see if we can figure out more about what happened to these settlements."

"Just Blair?" Jack asked pointedly. "What about the rest of your team?"

Both Daniel and Blair glanced guiltily at Teal'c and Jim, sitting silently side-by-side at the far end of the table, their twin suffering looks eloquently conveying their resignation to being forgotten by the academic half of their team.

"Oh, yes. Of course." Daniel coughed. "I meant we'd all go."

"Okay." Jack glanced around the table. "Anyone have any ideas why the Goa'uld would abandon such a resource-rich planet?"

"The only thing we can think of is the earthquakes," Sam responded. "They're very frequent, and quite violent. In fact, the exploratory mission had to be cut short when the earthquakes became too severe for the teams' safety."

"Earthquakes so severe they stymie even the Goa'uld?" Jack said admiringly.

"Apparently so," Sam said. "The teams managed to set up monitoring equipment before they were forced to leave, and we've been dialing in periodically to retrieve the observational data. We've registered earthquakes in the range of Magnitude six to eight on the Richter scale every few hours, and even one that rated a nine."

"Nine?" Jack repeated incredulously. "That's honking huge, isn't it?"

"Oh, yeah. Big. Bad. Had the MALP bouncing up and down like a ping pong ball." Daniel waved a hand up and down to demonstrate.

"Ping pong ball?" Blair exclaimed. "It felt like someone put me in a soda can, gave it a really good shake, then popped the tab!"

Jack frowned. "You weren't *on* the planet, Mr. Sandburg," he said.

"Oh, no, no," Blair waved away the misunderstanding. "I happened to be looking straight at the MALP feed when the big one hit. It was just..." He shook himself violently, as if he could rid himself of the memory by its reenactment.

"The geology team has been analyzing the seismic data," Dr. Lee picked up the exposition, "and they feel they can predict the occurrence of the bigger seismic events with a fair degree of accuracy. Thus, we can schedule missions --"

"Fair, as in inside the ballpark, or inside a hundred football fields?" Jack interjected.

All eyes around the table turned to Jack.

"What?" Jack said. "It's a fair question."

A chorus of groans erupted around the table. Jack stayed his ground, waiting expectantly for someone to answer him.

"Look, Jack," Daniel said firmly. "We've looked over the data, and I'm willing to stake the safety of my team on these predictions, okay?"

Jack looked at Daniel, then at Blair, Teal'c and Jim in turn. Satisfied that the team was all with Daniel on this, he turned back to Daniel. "Fine," he beamed. "Have fun."

Taking that as a sign of dismissal, Sam clicked off the projector and turned on the overhead lights, and everyone started gathering their things and getting up. Sam deftly punched a few buttons on a pad attached to the armrest of her wheelchair, and the chair backed up a pace, swiveled smartly, then proceeded to glide smoothly out of the room as Jack watched, open-mouthed.

Waiting until everyone else had filed out, Jack rounded on Daniel, who had remained seated at his place by the table. "What the hell was that?" he asked.

Daniel pulled a face and tilted his head towards Jack's office. Jack, getting the message, gathered up his folders, and the two walked side by side to the office, where Jack waved Daniel in ahead, then pulled the door shut after himself.

"Okay," Jack said, waving Daniel into a guest chair and taking another guest chair next to it. "What's up?"

"Well," Daniel said, waving a hand in the general direction where Sam and her chair had just disappeared. "As you just saw, Sam's getting way too comfortable in that chair."

"Isn't that the infirmary wheelchair?" Jack asked.

"I t is," Daniel confirmed. "Since the chair was supposed to be temporary, no one thought we needed to get Sam a chair she can maneuver herself -- as you know, those infirmary chairs are designed to be pushed by someone else, not moved around by the user. Well, as you can see..." Daniel held up a hand, made a shrugging motion, then dropped it in disgust and exasperation.

"Neat job," Jack commented.

"Very," Daniel agreed.

Jack considered that for a while, then asked, "How's her therapy coming?"

"That's the thing. It's not."

Jack's wide eyes and tilted eyebrows demanded an explanation.

"She, um... She keeps missing her sessions."

Jack's eyes became even wider and his eyebrows tilted at an even more severe angle.

"I mean, it's always one project or another. She gets into it, forgets the time, and..." Daniel threw both hands up in the air.

"Sounds like she's caught your habits," Jack remarked, then ducked as Daniel shot him a piercing glare.

"The point is," Daniel pressed on, "she's always managed to find time for an hour or so in the gym each day, except when we're in the middle of some extremely pressing situation. Which," he quickly interjected at Jack's look, "is more often than not, but you get my point, right?"

"Yeah," Jack said, thoughtfully propping his chin in his hand. "So, what's wrong? She doesn't like the looks of her therapist?"

"Jaaaack," Daniel complained.

"What? You don't think a hunky, hot therapist..." Jack trailed off as Daniel fixed him with a 'say one more word and you die' stare. "Okay," he recovered, deftly changing tracks. "You tried reminding her?"

"Both Janet and I've talked to her repeatedly," Daniel answered. "She keeps saying she's sorry and she'll do better, but then..." He waved a hand to indicate that nothing came of it.

"So maybe more drastic measures are called for?" Jack suggested.

"Yeah," Daniel sighed, staring up at the ceiling. "I thought about sitting on her, reminding her each time her therapy sessions are scheduled, even dragging her there by force if necessary. But..." He sighed again. "I mean, you can drag a horse to the water, but, right?" He turned to Jack, who hurriedly nodded agreement. "Right. So, unless Sam herself is motivated..." Daniel looked expectantly at Jack.

"Huh?" Jack said, surprised to suddenly find himself on the spot. "What do you want *me* to do?"

"Well, you are the General!"

"And what does that have to do with this?"

"Well, isn't it a General's job to motivate his troops?"

Jack stared at Daniel in dumbfounded amazement at this piece of very logical illogic. "Fine," he finally pouted. "I'll talk to her."

Daniel smiled. "Thanks, Jack." He stood and started towards the door.

"You're very welcome," Jack threw over his shoulder.

"Oh." Daniel stopped with his hand on the door knob. "By the way, there's another thing."

Jack looked at Daniel and waited.

"Well, it's... Pete," Daniel said. "Sam won't see him. I mean, they've talked on the phone and exchanged emails, but..."

"And couple's counseling fits in a General's job description how?"

Daniel shrugged, waved a hand in parting, and left, paying no heed to the exaggeratedly annoyed scowl Jack threw at his back.


~Next Part~
DC Home | DC Canon Stories | DC FanFic | Contact Us