Season/Episode: Set sometime after Daniel in Command, Episode 1: Command.
Rating: G
Pairings: Jack/Daniel Jim/Blair friendship
Summary: General O'Neill is having a discussion with his new Major.
Genre: DC Fanfic, Gen, Drama, Smarm.

Authors Notes: This is my first crossover attempt and I hope it is worth your time. Feedback is appreciated, Flames will be doused immediately.


The General and the Major

A Meeting Of The Minds, Part 1
by Debi C

Jack O'Neill entered the room and saw his new Major sitting alone in the corner of the commissary. The big man was propped up on one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs with some empty plates in front of him. He was cradling a cup of coffee and seemed to be lost in thought.

O'Neill went through the food line and when he had collected his dinner and started to pay for the meal, a thought struck him. As he started to sign for his bill, he said something to the cashier. The man, a regular who had worked there for years, smiled at him and went to the back returning in a moment with two bottles of beer. Jack smiled and thanked him, then turned to walk over to the corner table. There he paused for a moment as Jim looked up at him. "May I join you?"

The ex-policeman put his cup down and sat up straight in the chair. "It's your table, General."

"Well, actually, it's the taxpayer's table; I just use it way too often." He nodded agreeably. As the General sat down across from the sentinel, he passed the open bottle of beer to the other man who took it from him with a quizzical look.

"Beer?"

"Lite, sorry." Jack took a sip from his own bottle.

"You can get beer?" Jim raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, what good is being a general if you can't have beer." Jack sat the bottle down and started to eat his dinner.

"But we're on base."

"We're also in the commissary." Jack shrugged. "We're off duty, it's after 1800 hours and I'm not going home tonight. So, I want beer." The senior officer shrugged. "I want to put in a bowling alley too, but I'm still waiting on approval."

"Won't that be noisy?" Jim had to cover a smile by taking a swig from his own bottle.

Jack looked at him with a smile, "Noisier than the Stargate? What? Are you kidding?"

Jim had to nod in agreement as he tipped the bottle to his lips.

O'Neill took a bite of his mashed potatoes. "Actually, the 'gate is a lot quieter now than it was when Daniel first got it to work. It used to shake everything and rumble like the mountain was gonna fall on top of us."

"Really! It seems bad enough now."

"Oh, yeah, and freeze your ass off. Going through the wormhole was like walking through a tunnel in Antarctica. We'd come out wearing ice overcoats."

"But it doesn't do that now."

"Oh, Carter and Daniel figured out the interstellar drift thingy and then she was able to compute out the numbers and make the proper adjustments to find what we needed to compensate for everything." Jack waved a hand in the air "to smooth out the ride so to speak." He took another bite of the meatloaf.

"And that's the material she used in our room?"

"She did?"

"Yeah, I was having trouble sleeping."

"Ah," the general nodded. "A lot of people have that problem down here so I guess you were really affected. Sorry."

"It's just one of the down things to being a sentinel." Jim shrugged depreciatingly then glanced at the older man. "So, you been doing this long?"

Jack looked at him wryly. "Ten years, when we opened it the first time. I had brown hair when this all started."

Jim glanced at the General's short silver high and tight. "The Stargate did that?"

"No, Daniel did it."

"How?" Then he realized whom they were talking about and he grinned. "Never mind. I'm familiar with the concept."

"I'll just bet you are." Jack smiled back. "Oh, by the way, when you go back to your room you'll notice that someone's been in there."

Jim immediately stiffened. "May I ask why?"

O'Neill shook his head at him and leaned across the table to speak in a low voice. "No, it's not like that. Daniel came in and gave me a full briefing on the relationship between a Guide and his Sentinel. I didn't realize how intimate the contact could be." Jack looked uncomfortable talking around the sensitive subject. "Anyway, I had the cameras removed to give you both more privacy. It should have been done anyway, I just didn't think of it earlier. I mean it's not as if you needed to be watched. The rooms just come that way."

Jim looked at him gratefully. "I appreciate it. And I'd also like to thank you for the better sleeping arrangements. That damned couch was really uncomfortable."

Jack chuckled. "No problem. It was the least I could do. I didn't realize that you needed to stay that close to Sandburg when you were assigned separate rooms. Moving the other bed into his quarters was an easy fix." Jack smiled at him "It's a little crowded but I'm thinking of putting a connecting door into your old room and making it into a suite. That will give you more space." Jack looked thoughtful. "I'll have Siler run you cable tv while we're at it." Jack grinned at him. "I'm also ordering new full sized couches next fiscal year. "

The two men shared a smile as Jim replied. "That would be great."

A flurry of sound came from the hall outside the dining hall's entrance. Ellison looked up briefly, centering on the disturbance then glanced at O'Neill. "It's Blair and Daniel. They're still talking about the last mission. Well, Daniel's still talking but Blair is still not getting his head wrapped around it." He paused, then remarked. "They're looking for us and Daniel wants coffee."

The General nodded. "It's hard for our civilians to adjust to the military mind set at first . . . some more than others. I worried about Daniel a lot in the beginning."

Jim looked at Jack's mostly gray hair. "Looks like you needed to."

"I did." The older man smiled thoughtfully. "But it was worth it all."

"And Teal'c?" Jim looked at him thoughtfully. "An alien warrior?"

"Oh, he was pretty much on track from the beginning. He was into the serious Jaffa revenge thing for a while. It made things a little dicey, if you know what I mean, but he's finally mellowed out."

Jim looked at Jack. "This is mellow?"

"Oh, yeah."

"And you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. I mean, Stargate command is not an easy assignment."

"Hmm, well I am career military so it wasn't such a shock to me. I was used to the idea of being wounded and almost dying." Jack frowned. "I prefer the dying to the beeing snaked thing hands down. Daniel had more problems. He got me beat by a long shot." He took another drink of his beer then looked up at Ellison. "Has Daniel had the talk with you?"

Ellison looked at him uncomprehendingly. "What talk?"

"About being snaked." Jack finished his beer and sat the bottle down. At Ellison's curious expression the General nodded. "Don't worry, he will."

"Should I be worried?"

The General gazed upwards from his plate, brown eyes meeting icy blue ones. "Depends on you I guess."

The disturbance had moved into the dining facility. The two approaching scientists were in a heated debate while military types scattered before them like flushed pheasants. Ellison and O'Neill both turned to watch the show as the other two men approached the food line. They both proceeded down the line, ordering their food, decanting their drinks and collecting silverware, all without missing a beat. The two officers watched them fondly. Finally, the scientists noticed them sitting together and carried their trays over to join them still deep in a heated animated conversation.

Jack looked at Jim and they shared a fond look. "It's gonna be a long night."


DC Home | DC Canon Stories | DC FanFic | Contact Us