Pairing: Colin/Ephram
Rating: PG
Summary: Colin's not sure Everwood's the right place for him anymore.
Disclaimer: I don't own anyone, much less these fine characters (if you know where I could buy them, please let me know *g*). I refuse to make any money off them in any event, so please don't sue me.
Spoilers: Random things from all the eps so far.
Notes: Just so we're clear, this is ALL CHELSEA FREW'S FAULT! *ahem* :-)


Don't Know Much About History
by Nicole D'Annais
Copyright 2003


Ephram took a deep breath as he stood in front of the door, covering his anger with a blank expression. At least that practice from the last year was good for something. His knock was answered by Colin's mother. "Hi, Mrs. Hart. Is Colin home?" He knew the answer, but it was the nice way to ask.

"He had a bit of a headache, so he's lying down. Maybe you can come back later..."

She didn't sound too happy about the prospect. Then again, as they'd just fired his dad, Ephram thought she might have reason not to want him around. "Actually, he just emailed me. He was having some trouble with the history homework and wanted some help.

She was too polite to call him a liar, despite the fact that it showed clearly on her face. It was true, though--Colin had emailed him. It hadn't been about history, but he thought that one white lie was justified, considering the circumstances.

"All right," she said finally, letting him into the house. "But don't tire him out."

Translation: Don't stay long enough to put any ideas in his head about leaving. If she only knew.... "Thanks," he said, heading for the stairs before she could escort him to Colin's room like an armed guard.

He felt a slight pang of guilt as he walked past Laynie's room. She'd deserved better--from him and from her own parents. But he couldn't do anything about that. Colin, on the other hand....

Ephram raised his hand to knock, but stopped himself. A warning might be a bad idea, assuming Colin was even in the room. He turned the handle, almost surprised when the door opened. He'd half-expected it to be locked. Colin's head shot up, the shirt he'd been folding falling to the bed. "Didn't your parents teach you to knock?"

"Didn't yours teach you to say goodbye in person, not through an email?"

Colin bent his head back to the task of folding the clothes he was stuffing into one small suitcase. "It was easier," he said in a low voice.

"They don't even know you're going, do they?"

Colin looked up sharply. "Jesus, you didn't tell my mom, did you?"

"That's what I thought. And no, I didn't. I thought I'd give you a chance to explain first. She thinks I'm helping you with history."

With a sigh, Colin sat down on the bed. "Your dad saved my life, Ephram. If he says I need to go to Denver, I'm going. My parents don't want to see it. But they don't live with it every day--not like I do." He ran his hands through his hair. "They can't understand, and if your dad's right, then I don't want to waste my time convincing them."

"I suppose it won't be too bad," Ephram said, joining Colin on the bed. "You'll be back in, what, a month?"

Colin stared at his hands for a moment. "Actually," he said, looking up at Ephram from beneath his lashes, "I'm not coming back."

"What? Why not?"

"I'm sick of disappointing everybody. They all think they know me. And I'm never going to be who they want. Nobody knows *me*. And nobody wants to."

"You're wrong," Ephram said, shaking his head. "I didn't know you before. I only know you--'Colin the Second,'" he said with a small smile. "That guy in the trophy case at school is a stranger who just happens to look like you."

Colin sighed. "One person."

"Two--my dad. Add in Delia, and that's three."

"That's out of a whole town."

"But that's three more than in Denver."

He shook his head. "That's sort of the point--new beginnings and all that."

"Give them time, Colin. They'll adjust."

"I don't think so. Face it, you can't come up with one single good reason I should stay in Everwood."

"One good reason?" Ephram steeled himself. If this worked, great. If not, it was his last chance to do something he'd been dying to try, and anyway, he'd never see Colin again.

He took a deep breath and leaned in quickly, capturing Colin's lips--and catching Colin completely by surprise. The shock wore off quickly though--Colin's good hand found the short hairs at the back of Ephram's neck and tickled them gently as he kissed Ephram back.

A knock at the door had them jumping apart. Colin's eyes were dark, but his face was unreadable as his mother called his name from the other side of the door. "Come in," he said hoarsely, his eyes staying on Ephram's face, even as his left hand threw a quilt over the bag he'd been packing.
"Ephram, Colin needs his rest. Are you two finished?"

"Yeah, I think everything's clear now. Right, Colin?"

"Crystal," he responded shortly.

Ephram stood up and shoved his hands in his pockets. "See you tomorrow at school."

"Sure."

Before he could do anything else stupid, Ephram left. He'd walked half a block before he remembered his bike was at Colin's house, and he had to go back. As he sat down on the bike, he looked up at Colin's window to find Colin watching.

Turning his head away, Ephram rode home, showered, climbed into bed, all without obsessing over what he'd done. Not that obsessing over not obsessing was the best trade-off.

He lay awake for a long time, counting sheep, cows and ducks before sleep finally came. His alarm went off far too soon, but he managed to get up. School could never drag him out of bed this easily, but he wanted to check his email before he left.

There it was, nestled in among the spam and some list mail, and standing out like a red flag. Email from Colin, time stamped two hours after Ephram had left his house. He held the cursor over it, then decided worry was stupid and just opened the damn thing.

Ephram-

I had to go to Denver...

but I think I'll need your help catching up when I get back. My history grades could use some work.

C
Ephram grinned, read the message, and grinned wider.

"Ephram, school's not going to wait for you, and neither is breakfast!"

"Be right there, Dad!" He read the words one more time before shutting down the email program. School was going to be more boring than usual while Colin was away. Well, maybe not all of it.

He'd suddenly developed a liking for history.

---
END



Comments? ndannais@squidge.org


Back to Main Page

This page owned and maintained by Nicole D'Annais. Last updated 4/3/03.