RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +







Story Notes:
(Anita/jean-claude, Anita/asher, Anita/damian, Asher/jean-claude)

Disclaimer: The wondrous Laurell K. Hamilton owns Anita, Jean- Claude, Asher, Damian and anyone else you might recognise. The plot I'll own up to, along with any characters you don't have the pleasure of knowing, such as Caspian and Morion. We all want to know just why Anita is so powerful, don't we? This is the answer I came up with.



*~*~*~*~*


It had taken a week for us to persuade Asher back into our bed after Musette had left us. It had been mostly my doing, he did not believe Jean-Claude when he sought to speak for me. My comment about Asher being something Jean-Claude wouldn't compromise on hadn't particularly helped. In the end I had virtually tied him down and raped him, not something to be proud of. Well, I didn't tie him down, didn`t need to. I'd stretched my tenuous control of the ardeur to its limits, and then infected him with it, deliberately. I hadn't even called Jean-Claude, or warned him of what I intended to do, just tore the clothes from Asher's body and forced myself on him. Afterwards we were both covered in blood, but he was hurt far more than I.

"Anita, what…why…" He couldn't bring himself to finish a question.

"I don't want you to leave, and I want you, yourself. Not because of the effects of you rolling my mind, nor from my link with Jean- Claude, but by myself, and for yourself. Would Jean-Claude ever have done this to you? Has your bite ever had this effect on your victims?"

"Non, and non. But you are like no other I have fed on. And you would not normally force yourself upon anyone. You do not even take Nathaniel, though he offers his bounty freely. Please, I will not speak of this to Jean-Claude, but I do not want you to take me to your bed from guilt, or pity." He wouldn't look me in the eye, scared of what I might do or say.

"Let me explain. I want you. Either sharing yourself with me and with Jean-Claude freely, or like this. It is the same to me. I will not allow you to leave. I will not cost Jean-Claude your presence, even if you will not grant him your touch." There was shocked comprehension in the eyes that finally met mine. He understood what I was capable of, at last. One reason I had been unable to shake Raina's munin was that in some ways her desires mirrored my own. I would never force anyone into anything that would be truly damaging, but I wasn't above rape. I used the ardeur to force Asher unwilling into my bed, but he had shared my bed before and wanted me, save that he wanted to know it was my desire for him, not that of Jean- Claude, nor that created by his bite. And now he knew that it was my desire in truth, for my Master of the City was strangely gentle when it came to those he loved, had always shielded Asher from his ardeur, and the obsession our goldfinch's bite could create was never so vicious.

"Where and when do you want me then?"

"Waiting in Jean-Claude's bed, fully dressed for I wish to undress you myself, slowly, shortly before midnight tomorrow. I will bring him there."

~~~~~*****~~~~~

And I did. I ambushed Jean-Claude, telling him I had something special planned, and virtually dragging him back to his bedroom.

"Ma petite, what surprise can you possibly have for me in my…own… bedroom?" His laughing voice trailed off as he saw Asher lying on his back on his bed, his feet dangling off the side. The sheets tonight were blood red, and Asher wore a deep brown shirt trimmed with gold, black jeans and thigh high black leather boots. Jean- Claude turned to me. "How did you persuade him?" He had let me see the wonder he felt in his face and hear it in his voice.

"I fed the ardeur on him last night, as I feed it on you and Micah." It was truth, but not all the truth, I was learning how to lie without lying, a skill vampires mastered young, as they needed to, one I was too powerful to need, but had learned to spare my love's feelings. And Jean-Claude wanted this too much to taste the lie hiding behind the truth. His eyes, so full of need and desire, were for Asher, but he watched me also, as if waiting for the blow to fall, while I led him to the bed.

"You will not send us from your bed if we do this?"

"Not as long as I am with you both when you are together in this way." A little more convoluted and subtle than I would usually put it, but true - I didn't have to explicitly state that if Jean-Claude and Asher had sex and I wasn't there I'd dump them both. "Undress Asher for me, slowly. I want to watch as that beautiful body is revealed." I spoke truth, they both knew that I considered Asher's body beautiful, to me the scars were but another part of his beauty. As I had told Musette, if Asher is in the room and you are cataloguing the beautiful people he always makes the list. She protested that his beauty was marred by his scars, but I could not see that. Jean-Claude moved to obey, Asher lay quiet in his grasp, awaiting instructions and submitting passively to his attentions. I could see that they aroused him, and the sight aroused me, finally when Asher was unveiled in all his glory Jean-Claude knelt beside the bed, looking to me for instructions. He was being careful, he did not wish to risk losing this, losing Asher, or losing me over this.

I joined them, sitting on the bed and pulling Jean-Claude up to join me. I removed Jean-Claude's clothes myself, enjoying the chance to touch that beautiful pale body. Then I spoke.

"Undress me together, then Asher use your tongue on me while Jean- Claude tells me what he would wish to do with you." They exchanged a glance, somehow I knew they were deciding together what Jean-Claude would ask for, and I didn't mind. Then they moved to obey me, acting in concert and undressing me slowly. It wasn't until Asher had knelt, his head between my thighs that my black-haired lover spoke.

"I want to feel Asher inside me, taking me as I take you." He had chosen to sit behind me, caressing my back, so he didn't have to meet my eyes.

"Very well. Get some oil, or something and tell me how to prepare you." He moved to obey and I twisted so I was leaning back on one elbow onto a pile of pillows. When Jean-Claude came back he handed me the bottle and lay on his side, facing away from me. There was a slight stiffness in the line of his body that said he wasn't actually too happy about this. He wanted to do it, I could tell that, but this act hadn't been pleasant for him for a long time, not since before Julianna died.

"Warm the oil in your hands, then coat your fingers with it." Jean- Claude's voice was quiet, intimate, and for once I obeyed without bitching about it. He waited five minutes, then gave me my next instructions. "Slide one finger into me, slowly. Then add another and use them to stretch me, I'll tell you if it hurts." I made sure to be slow and careful about it, one good thing about Jean-Claude's request was that I didn't think Asher was comfortable actually having intercourse with me after what I'd done to him, not yet anyway. But he didn't have a problem using his tongue on me, and he was very good at it. "You can add another finger now." Jean-Claude's voice was thick with pleasure, I must have been doing something right. I obeyed, and he actually started pushing himself backwards, trying to fuck himself on my fingers.

"Stay still." He froze, and let me work at him a little more. "Do I need to add another finger now, or are you stretched enough for comfort?"

"You had best add another finger ma petite. Asher is hardly small." I had to agree with him there, I'd been adding more oil every time I added another finger, and I knew the sheets would be ruined. When I thought he was as stretched as he would get I pulled back. Asher had already brought me twice with his tongue, I'd held still so as not to hurt Jean-Claude when that happened.

"Asher, enough. How do you want to do this?" I addressed the question to both of them, but only Asher answered, I think Jean- Claude considered it to be addressed only to Asher, that or he didn't want to scare Asher off.

"We should start off on our sides. I'll spoon Jean-Claude and enter him, then you can guide him into you." His voice was quiet, but it was a good idea. I nodded and we did as suggested. We did enjoy ourselves, and afterwards there was no need to fear that Asher would leave us.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

I spent most of my spare time over the next month considering the prospect of taking the fourth mark. In the end my decision came down to one thing - Belle Morte had given me the first mark and I wanted to be free of her. I knew that it would hurt Jean-Claude that I would not take the fourth mark to be closer to him, but only to protect myself from Belle Morte, but I hadn't been able to bring myself to offer him blood again. I would do that first, then I would bring up the fourth mark, if and only if I felt able to offer Jean- Claude blood in the future.

That night when I needed to feed the ardeur I went to him. I'd managed to learn a bit of how to feed from a distance, if I fed that way I could do that twice to replace one feeding by contact. I couldn't let Asher take blood from me, I wasn't willing to risk losing myself that way, but if it was just Jean-Claude I'd let him feed as part of sex.

"Jean-Claude, I want it to be just us tonight." Asher wasn't there, but I didn't want to risk the possibility that he'd be invited in later.

"If that is what you prefer ma petite." We enjoyed ourselves greatly, then once I had fed my ardeur I pulled Jean-Claude's face to my neck.

"Go ahead my love, feed. I have fed my ardeur, I am not intoxicated. I've been thinking about this for a month and I am certain I wish to do this."

"If you are certain ma petite." There was such fear and uncertainty in his voice. I hastened to reassure him.

"Yes, I am certain, so long as we do it in the midst of sex." And I ran my fingers down his back, trailing them through the blood from the wounds I had inflicted in his flesh, then bringing them to my mouth to suck clean. He was still inside me, hardening again and he began to move ever so slowly, until I was ready to scream from all the teasing. That's when he bit me, and I let him into my mind. My blood healed the injuries I had done to his back and I rolled us so he was beneath me, so I could be in control. His fangs were buried in my throat, but I took his wrists and pinned them beneath our bodies, pressing him down into the mattress so he couldn't move. I could feel his shock through the marks when he realised that I was physically stronger than him. He wasn't the only one shocked; I couldn`t understand why I was able to pin Jean-Claude down like this. I shared his strength through the marks, but that only meant that I was stronger than a human, it shouldn't have made me stronger than him. I could feel his fear, he was letting me feel his fear and I pulled away from him in a blur of speed. It tore my neck, leaving a messy bite, rather than the neat clean bite I'd have been left with if I'd let him release me by himself, but I was swiftly on the other side of the bed from him.

"What just happened ma petite?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to be on top, to have control. When anything preternatural happens in bed I feel more comfortable if I'm on top, it makes me feel safe, if that makes any sense. I didn't expect to be able to pin you down like that."

"I understand that you feel safer if you aren't pinned down, I feel the same way. That is why I was so scared when you trapped me like that. I don't object to you being on top, just…give me some warning before you pin me down."

"Would it help if we decided on a safe word? So that if either of us does something the other isn't comfortable with we can stop it." I knew that I could bear to let him feed again. It wasn't entirely pleasant for me, but it pleased him so much.

"Please." I could tell that Jean-Claude was relieved at my suggestion, he'd wanted to make it himself but had been scared of how I'd react to the suggestion that our activities were so far beyond conventional as to need one.

"By the way, at least for the first few times I want to be on top, or with you on your knees when I let you feed from me. Do you have any suggestions for a safe word?"

"You would let me feed again?"

"I was the one who scared you, you didn't do anything wrong. And I did enjoy being close to you in that way. About the safe word, what do you think of using `Musette'?"

"Agreed. Would you care to try that again?"

"The feeding? I'd rather not, I'm not sure I can afford to lose any more blood."

"No, I meant where you pin me down. I do trust you, and you seemed to be enjoying yourself until I panicked." He'd begun to crawl towards me across the bed, and ended with his head in my lap. I could feel the effort it took for him to make such an offer and I stroked his hair to soothe him.

"No, not now. Perhaps later. This isn't what I intended tonight."

"What then did you intend?" He sat up reluctantly, he didn't want to be separated from my touch, but he was used to pain from me and was not willing to be so vulnerable while I told him what I had intended.

"To find out whether I was willing to let you feed on me during sex, and then perhaps to ask to take the fourth mark."

"You…want to take the fourth mark?" I'd floored him.

"Yes. I want to be with you forever. The fourth mark will allow that."

"Now?" There was hope and fear in his voice.

"If you want." I'd thought perhaps what I just did would have put him off further intimacy, and anything that might give me more powers for a while.

"Yes, I want it. I don't want to risk you changing your mind. But please, do not hate me afterwards. This is your choice, I would never have asked it of you."

"I won't hate you. I promise." I needed to reassure him, so I did. He pulled me on top of him again, and opened a wound in his chest. He'd always remember me as dominant to him in this moment. Somewhere that thought pleased me, that he acknowledged my superiority. I leant down to drink from him, and he spoke.

"Blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, the two shall be as one. One flesh, one blood, one soul." As with Alejandro something, some barrier inside me broke. But this time it was different, I lifted my head as I crouched above my lover to look around. Everything was different, and Asher and Damian were staring at us in shock.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

The two onlooking vampires gasped in shock when they met my eyes, and Jean-Claude was frozen in fear beneath me. I stood up, careful not to scare him more, we were on the floor in a large white room, near a bed made up with white sheets. I grabbed one to cover my body with and tossed another to Jean-Claude, in the hope that it would calm him down.

"What's wrong? Why were you shocked by my eyes?" I spoke while I was wrapping the sheet around my body, I knew that the vampires weren't bothered by my nudity, for Damian it was as close as he was likely to get to being permitted to share my bed, but I was. Actually, judging from the speed with which Jean-Claude was wrapping himself in his sheet, he was as uncomfortable being naked as I was, for some reason. He normally didn't mind flaunting that beautiful body of his.

"They have…changed ma petite." Jean-Claude sounded uncertain, but the others seemed unwilling to speak. "They are stranger than any I have ever seen before. And you have changed in other ways as well, but the eyes are the most noticeable."

Looking around I spotted a mirror and walked over to it. My eyes were totally alien. I've often compared vampires' eyes to fire, when their power is upon them, or seen how lycanthropes' eyes bleed to their animal. My eyes…they weren't eyes, not really. They truly were fire, golden and red and even blue. I tried to close them, but I could still see, and now my eyes were voids filled with stars. I tried again, and this time I succeeded. Then I opened my eyes, once and they were star filled voids, twice and they returned to the flames. I studied myself critically. My lips were fuller and redder and when I opened my mouth I could see fangs top and bottom, my front teeth were sharper too, but the back ones were unchanged. And my skin was as pale as Jean-Claude's but opalescent rather than luminous. When I glanced down at my hands I saw that my nails were gone, to be replaced by claws, small claws, but still claws and I couldn't think why I hadn't noticed them before. I also wondered why I hadn't noticed that the wound in my throat had disappeared as if it had never been.

I shut my eyes fully, wishing only to look like myself again. I could feel some sort of magic flowing over my skin, and when I opened my eyes again and turned to my vampires I looked as human as I ever had. Jean-Claude was still on the floor, huddled in his sheet, somehow I knew that if I made any demands of him now he would submit. He looked almost like a little child, hiding in the bedclothes and hoping the monster wouldn't get him, but the monster already had - I was the monster. Asher had moved to sit behind him, wrapping his arms protectively around the younger vampire, watching me distrustfully, while Damian stood watching me with pure worship in his eyes. I preferred Asher's attitude. Yet something inside me made me want to test Damian's devotion, to demand a display of loyalty and to claim Jean-Claude as mine again. I've learned to satisfy preternatural needs as soon as they rise, for the interest rate on such debts is horrendous. I walked to kneel beside Jean- Claude and laid a light kiss on his unresisting lips, then stood and held out my hand to Damian, watching Asher as I did so, he was the only threat here, not Jean-Claude and not Damian. My vampire servant came to me and knelt at my feet, kissing my outstretched hand, finally Asher lowered his eyes in an unspoken display of submission.

That was when our hosts walked in on us. Two humans, both men with brown hair and eyes, and six vampires, identical and wearing collars, plainly submissive to the humans, which was strange as they were all masters over a thousand years old and identical even in their abilities. But all eight of them had the same power signature radiating from them, the humans less strongly than the vampires. I had the strongest feeling that meant the humans outranked the vampires here. They all knelt to me and one of the humans spoke.

"Lady, if you will permit it my brother and I will take you to speak with our lord, Morion, he will explain what has happened and his toys can attend to the sorting of your pets." I didn't sense hostility from them, and neither did Jean-Claude, we were in unfamiliar territory, but we had no way to get back. I quickly concluded that I had no choice but to comply, and hope the vampires would play along.

"Very well. I will come with you." I left with a troubled glance at my vampires to hear Jean-Claude ask for some clothes before he moved.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

Morion looked like a normal man in his late thirties, but the power he gave off was incredible, more than I'd felt even from Mommy Dearest. It felt similar to that power as well, and the same thing that had made me want to claim Jean-Claude and display Damian's submission to me led me to drop the control I hold over my power, or at least over its display. When I felt my power rise around me I realised just how much it had changed since my encounter with the Mother of Darkness. And how much it had grown. Morion would win any combat between us, but only because he knew how to control his power, I did not know how to control any but the smallest fraction of mine. If I had the same expertise he had, or perhaps if I had even a fraction of his skill I would be victorious. Jean-Claude had good reason to fear me, hell so did the Council if they just knew it. Suddenly I had a feeling I knew why the Council had been killing necromancers for such a long time.

"Relax Anita. I do not wish to challenge you. I brought you here because your full powers have manifested and you need someone to teach you, unless you want to risk destroying your planet?" Shit. I didn't realise I had that much power.

"No, I don't want that. How long will this take?"

"It doesn't matter, you will be able to return to the moment you left."

"I see." That was scary. "But I still want to know how long it will take, if nothing else so I know how much extra power my vampires will have when we get back."

"Of course. Full training takes between three and five hundred years. I had thought that while your pets are being processed and registered I could explain to you the basic history of our kind, and discuss which of my toys would make an appropriate gift for you."

"You don't need to give me anything." I really didn't want to risk having to give one of my vampires up to him in exchange, besides the idea of owning someone else should have made me uneasy, God knows I fought hard enough against being Damian's master. And yet I liked the idea of having another pet, a properly trained pet.

"Yes, I do. It is tradition among our kind for a teacher to give a student a gift when he first starts teaching her. One of the final lessons is in making vampires and one of the products there is given to the teacher in return. I am perfectly willing to provide whatever you need while you are learning, but some of your lessons will involve improvements to my home, and storing some of your excess power, nothing permanent, but energy you are not using. I keep half of all the stored energy." I didn't really have a choice, so I agreed. Anyway if I didn't use the energy why let it go to waste?

"Now, about your toy. Can you tell me a little about vampires where you come from?"

"They're ruled by a council of seven powerful vampires, but the real ruler is the Mother of Darkness and she's in some sort of coma at the moment, has been for thousands of years. She's both a vampire and a shape shifter, and I think when I first encountered her it triggered some sort of changes in me. That's when I began wanting to own my vampires and mark them as mine."

"Ah yes, I see." We were interrupted by one of the vampires who'd come to my room bringing a sheet of paper and kneeling to offer it to me.

"Lady, could you please confirm these designations? And is it accurate to say that your dark-haired bed-slave chooses the clothes for all of your toys, and even for you on formal occasions?"

Bed-slave? I glanced at the paper to find that Jean-Claude and Asher had been listed as bed-slaves, and Damian as my personal attendant. There were also some short notes on what I preferred them to wear, although I generally liked anything they chose. "Why not, he's good at it. And I really can`t be bothered with all the fuss about clothes he so adores." They both looked understanding at that comment. "I usually let him decorate as well." Then the vampire glanced at the paper in my hand. I could take a hint. "This is pretty much accurate, but they haven't mentioned that I prefer them to be wearing at least pants and some sort of top. They are mine and I don't want them displaying their bodies to others, not unless it is absolutely necessary."

"As you say lady. If I might presume, your two bed-slaves were most insolent, I would recommend that you beat them soundly."

"I will consider it." My voice was cold and I turned to Morion, ignoring the vampire. "We were discussing the vampires of my world were we not?"

"No child, we were discussing which of my toys I would give to you as a gift. I have one pet who was turned by a descendent of this Mother of Darkness, he is not a master, but he's been trained as a personal attendant rather than a bed-slave, would that suit you?"

I blinked once, there was no way I'd be sleeping with a stranger, but if he was just a servant I could accept him. "Very well." Then I considered the ardeur. "I feed on lust so I will need to visit areas where people are having sex, or displaying a lot of lust at least twice a day as only two of my usual pomme de sangs for that came with me. My bed-slave Jean-Claude will also need to do this."

"Very well. Now let me tell you about our kind, and their history on your world."

He then proceeded to explain how all of our kind were the offspring of demons who possessed humans to sire their children. They passed on to their children a great deal of power, more than they had actually, which manifested itself in small ways from birth, as one major power when we hit puberty and then as our full power after some sort of triggering event. For me that event had been taking the fourth mark from Jean-Claude, but apparently it might have manifested spontaneously after my encounter with Mommy Dearest, I had been acting less human after that. On my world the manifestation at puberty had always been powerful necromancy, but our offspring and descendents did not hold our power and only developed the puberty manifestation, and not always that. The first vampires had been made by one of our kind, including the Mother of Darkness, and that was why they had killed all necromancers, because they feared that one of the Children of Demons would manifest from a necromancer and rule all the vampires again. Before we manifested our full power we could die as easily as any mortal, but afterwards we were impossible to kill. Jean-Claude should never have marked me, he should have let me die from Aubrey's blow. He would have been safer, even under Nikolaos.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

I walked into my new quarters, I'd been told that my `bed-slaves' and `personal attendant' would be waiting for me there. Damian was sitting on a couch in the entrance room, wearing loose black silk pants and a matching tunic. He was barefoot so he'd lifted his legs to curl in one corner reading a book. I only just had time to note how he was sitting before he put the book aside and stood. I only just had time to notice how he was sitting before he put the book aside and stood. Our hosts had approved of him, but they thought Jean-Claude and Asher were insolent and recommended that I punish them for their presumption. I just wished that I knew what they had done that was so presumptuous, after all they had survived being weak among the Council.

"Where are Jean-Claude and Asher?"

"They decided to wait for you in your bedroom." He led me to a door on the far side of the room and opened it for me.

The bedroom was beautifully decorated in black and red. The bed was large enough to hold my entire pard, with blood red sheets. But by far the most beautiful things in the room were the two vampires sitting together on the bed. They were both wearing knee high black leather boots. Black linen pants and silk shirts, Asher's in dark brown and Jean-Claude's in crimson. Jean-Claude was leaning into Asher's embrace, his head resting on the elder vampire's shoulders.

"Asher, Jean-Claude, can you please explain why I have been advised to punish you both for insolence?" They both slid to their knees on the floor in front of the bed, bowing their heads to me. A part of me thought that was only right, but another, larger, part was disturbed by their submissiveness.

"We thought that you wished us to call ourselves your lovers ma petite. If you have changed your mind tell us and we will comply with your wishes." Jean-Claude's voice was utterly neutral, belying the fear I could feel through the marks. He couldn't hide his emotions from me any longer, not since I'd taken the fourth mark. But I could hide mine from him. I'd been getting little flashes of his experiences all night.

"I think of you both as my lovers, of course I want you to call yourselves that." They were considered to be insolent for stating the simple fact that they were my lovers? "Get up." I waited until they were standing before continuing. "Have you explored our new quarters?" There had been a door on each wall of the living room, and there were three doors on the far wall of my bedroom.

"Yes ma cherie." Neither of them raised their eyes to look directly at me. "We were also given a basic tour when we got here."

"Then show me around. I don't need to see whatever bedrooms you've chosen unless you want me to, but other than that show me everything."

"Neither of us have chosen bedrooms ma cherie. We were told not to until you had arrived and made your decision." Jean-Claude was very quiet, I wondered why he was letting Asher do the talking and realised how very scared he was, of this situation and of me. "Apparently it is customary for you to decide where we, Jean- Claude and I, sleep. You can require us to sleep with you or just in the same room. Or if you wish we can take rooms through here." Asher led me to the middle door at the back of the room, opening it to reveal a short hallway with two doors opening off it to either side and a fifth door at the end. I took a glance into each room: the one at the end was a bathroom, Asher explained that he and Jean-Claude were expected to share it: and the others were bedrooms, rather plain but apparently they would be decorated to their occupants' tastes tomorrow night.

"Just pick whichever room you prefer, once it's set up I won't come in without permission. I'm sorry but I cannot bring myself to sleep with you during your daytime slumber, one I might manage but not both. Not on a regular basis."

"If you wish it you can command us to share your bed on any occasion, and for any purpose even though you are generous enough to allow us privacy." A privacy I lacked with the only way to their bedrooms being through mine.

As we spoke we returned to my bedroom, Jean-Claude and Asher having chosen the two rooms nearest me, Asher to the right and Jean-Claude to the left. There were two more doors from my bedroom I needed to check out and Asher opened the one on the right to show a large, magnificent bathroom. It was tiled in black marble, the bath was sunken and deep enough for me to stand in and the water would still be up to my shoulders in the centre, it was also big enough for ten or more. There was also a separate shower cubicle, obviously one of my vampires had conveyed my complaints about not being able to shower at the Circus, because although their bathroom was equally magnificent it contained no shower.

The room opening to the left of Jean-Claude and Asher's quarters was almost bare, but the walls were five times as thick as in the other rooms and I could sense a lot of shielding on it.

"They said this would be your workroom when you were further along in your training." I couldn't understand Jean-Claude's silence, Asher had far more reason to fear me than he did, Jean-Claude had almost no reason to fear me that I knew of, yet I could taste a surprisingly strong fear of me, both physical and sexual.

"What about the rooms opening from the living room?"

Damian opened the door to the right showing a bedroom almost twice the size of Asher's and Jean-Claude's, with a door leading off to an adjoining bathroom. This one wasn't as fancy as the others but it did include a shower.

"The other door leads to an identical set of rooms. If you don't mind I'll take this bedroom." Damian was looking to me, but he also glanced at Jean-Claude and Asher, I think he knew how much smaller their rooms were and it conflicted with vampire protocol. I decided to give them the choice.

"Jean-Claude, Asher, do you mind?"

"Non." Jean-Claude seemed to realise that I wanted some sort of answer from him as well as from Asher.

"Of course not ma cherie, our rooms are further inside and so they are safer as no one can get to them without going through your room." Asher told me that the safety consideration outweighed the loss of face of having the smaller rooms. But still, we didn't need the other two bedrooms so why not enlarge my lovers' rooms? Of course even as they were their rooms were as big as Jean-Claude's bedroom back at the Circus - mine had more floor space than the entire ground floor of my house. If I fed before I slept perhaps I wouldn't need to feed during the day, or on Jean-Claude tomorrow night. He was so scared of me at the moment that I called Asher to my bed instead.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

Afterwards he spoke to me about Jean-Claude, as concerned about him as I was.

"Anita, did Jean-Claude seem more…nervous around you than usual?"

"No." Asher seemed almost about to interrupt before I continued. "He seemed absolutely terrified of me. Did anything in particular happen to him while you were away from me?"

"He was considered more insolent than I, because he does not need to hide his face as I do mine." I wanted to protest that Asher didn't need to hide his face, but I also wanted him to keep speaking. "I mostly kept my head bowed and he did not, so they threatened him more, and one of the main threats was being whipped. He has more reason to fear that, it reminds him of painful history. And his explanations that you normally let him choose clothes for all three of us, and even for you on formal occasions greatly displeased our hosts. But we were separated for a while at times and something could have happened then."

I reached out for Jean-Claude, he was lying on his bed curled into a ball. He wasn't crying but he was certainly in pain. Hoping that he wouldn't detect me I slid a subtle strand of magic into him through the marks. I checked his physical condition first, then his memories of the day. There were fresh lash marks on his back. Nothing too severe, they wouldn't even scar a human, but still someone had touched what belonged to me! How had they presumed to think they could get away with it?

I moved on to the memories of the day. When the vampire sent to me had returned with the information that I wanted Jean-Claude to choose the clothes for the vampires, as well as any formalwear I needed the human processing them had been outraged, and he'd decided that if I wasn't likely to punish Jean-Claude for his presumption he would take it on himself to teach my lover his place. It was the bastard's comment that he was sure I'd thank him for it later that had made Jean-Claude fear me. But why did he believe it?

I probed deeper and discovered just how much damage Asher had done after he'd been scarred. No wonder Jean-Claude was insecure where I was concerned. He didn't think he was worthy of love, and I'd told him I'd tire of him at some point, just like all his masters had. After Belle Morte had sent Asher from her bed he'd approached Asher on his own, only to be verbally attacked, blamed for Julianna's death and told that he was worthless in so many words. I pulled out of him, he hadn't noticed that I was there, but one other thing had caught my attention, he considered me his master, and he had for some time, since we formed the Triumvirate. I should have worked that out earlier, he'd waited for my permission to sleep with Asher, who he loved, and put up with all the restrictions I forced upon him. You only do that for a superior. He hadn't minded too much because I wasn't a cruel master and I'd been lenient with him, but after what happened just before I took the fourth mark, he feared that would change.

"Asher, someone whipped him. The bastard said that I'd thank him for it later. You're all coming with me tomorrow night, and I intend to make sure that the piece of filth who hurt Jean-Claude is punished. No one touches what is mine!"

"Jean-Claude is yours?"

"The Triumvirate makes him mine. But yes, he thinks of me as his master. Asher, he doesn't think he's worthy of love. I want you to go to him, and hold him after you leave me. And if he is willing you may make love to him, with my permission. Go, now." He left me as I asked, and I knew he went to comfort my other lover. I didn't mind, as long as Jean-Claude felt better. I slid into sleep swiftly after that.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

I hadn't actually needed to be shown where the nearest concentration of lust was the next day, I'd been able to sense it and feed from it without leaving my quarters, but I knew Jean-Claude would never be able to do that - I wasn't even sure how I'd been able to do it.

He was the first of my vampires to awake after I did, and he came out into my bedroom as soon as he was dressed. He didn't meet my eyes, just looked at the floor in front of my feet and kept his head bowed. He even knelt to me when he came into the room.

"Get up Jean-Claude." My voice was unintentionally harsh and he literally jumped to his feet, never once looking up, playing nervously with the cuffs of his shirt - red and lacy at the neck and cuffs, paired with black jeans too tight for anything underneath and black leather boots laced all the way up his thighs. He was all but shaking - what had happened to instil such terror in him? I'd never hurt him enough to justify this sort of reaction. I sighed, I had to get him calmed down a bit, or he'd be useless to me.

"Come here Jean-Claude." I forced my voice to be gentle and when he came to me I took him into my arms. I held him carefully, so as not to scare him even more. "You don't have to lie with me tonight unless you wish to Jean-Claude. I can feed on Damian, he has been longing for it for quite some time." That didn't seem to calm him, but it didn't increase the tension in his body either. "That is if that is acceptable to you?"

That got a reaction, sheer stark terror. "I would never presume to tell my master who she can claim to warm her bed ma petite." His voice, that wonderful touchable voice, offered nothing but fear.

"I do not wish to hurt you Jean-Claude. I know I don't say it enough, but I do love you. Did Asher explain last night that I gave him permission to make love to you if you were willing? That still applies, I suspect you will both need the comfort while I am learning how to use my new powers. I still love and want you both, but I expect I'll be busy a lot and I won't deny you each other, even if I cannot be present." Ah, that was what had scared him, he feared that I was going to tire of him and give him away, or that Asher had been lying to him about my permission.

"By vampire tradition you have the right to take your servant to your bed whether he is willing or not, you have the right to take any subordinate you choose to your bed regardless of their feelings in the matter. I am jealous of Damian to some extent, but when you first gained the ardeur and asked me who you had the right to feed on he should have been on the list." His voice was low but I recognised his words for the expression of gratitude they were.

"I see." He expected me to punish him for not telling me earlier, I could tell, but I wouldn't. "You need to feed, don't you?"

"Yes."

"Then come with me." I decided that he could feed the ardeur first and led him to a discrete niche a few yards from the nearest concentration of lust. I hadn't exactly expected what I found there. I'd known there were vampires present, but I hadn't expected the area to be effectively a high class brothel - where the whores all had fangs. Jean-Claude glanced at me in fear when he realised what sort of place it was and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm only willing to share you with Asher because he was your lover for a long time and he does love you. I brought you here to feed your ardeur, nothing more. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for blood until the others get up."

"Yes ma petite." He actually bit his lip before continuing. "Does it offend you that I use such a nickname for you?" He hadn't actually met my eyes since I'd returned from my meeting with Morion, but I'd at least got him looking at my face, now he was keeping his eyes firmly fixed on the ground.

"No, not anymore. I enjoy it." Why was he asking me this now? Oh, the human who'd had him beaten had also objected to my lover having a nickname for me. "Just feed, Asher will be waking up soon and I want us to be back by then."

"As you wish." I did the exact same thing, I'd satiated myself earlier, but I wanted to store up as much lust as I could, while I could. Then I led him back to my quarters and told him to go and take a bath or something - I sent Asher to join him once he was awake, even if they couldn't do anything. I on the other hand spent my time practising my Kenpo and Judo, at least as much as I could. Morion had told me that I could request anything I wished while I was here, I fully intended to ask for a teacher in Kenpo, and then other martial arts as I mastered my old ones. I would also learn how to use a sword, or more than one sword. Although, I could probably learn that from Damian, or one of my other vampires. One thing I really hated was not having my weapons, I'd been transported here naked, and none of us had felt a thing. At least I hadn't and I assumed the vampires hadn't either, I'd have to ask them.

Damian was awake. I walked out to the corridor, as promised there were three humans waiting for my vampires to awaken.

"Come in. My pets will feed in the living room. Do not presume to expect more pleasure from this than they offer through their bite." I sent a call for Damian and Jean-Claude along our links, I knew Jean-Claude would bring Asher along with him. When they arrived I continued. "Feed and send them away. I expect you to have finished by the time I return."

I needed to clean up after practising, so I took a shower and actually washed my hair, to give them time to feed. The humans were gone when I returned and I had time to notice what my vampires were wearing. Jean-Claude and Asher had dressed identically in blood red silk, loose pants of heavy silk and shirts of very light thin silk, both barefoot they curled together on the floor in front of the couch. Damian was wearing tailored black wool, pants and a vest with no shirt. He too was barefoot, but he sat on the couch until I entered, then he stood.

"Jean-Claude, Asher, Damian, we need to talk." I sat on the couch and pulled Jean-Claude up onto my lap, inviting the other two to sit on either side of me. It should have felt ridiculous, holding a Master Vampire so much larger than me on my lap like a child, but somehow it felt right. Asher was the only one who didn't sense the same thing, for although Jean-Claude was still scared he relaxed a little at the feel of my arms around him. "Did any of you sense anything when we were brought here?"

They hadn't, now I had to explain a few things. "Apparently my father was possessed by a demon when he sired me, and that demon passed its power on to me. That's why I'm such a powerful necromancer. When I took the fourth mark it forced my full powers to manifest and that's why we're here, or at least why I'm here, Morion didn't explain you three properly. My powers would have manifested anyway after my contact with the Mother of Darkness." I spoke to the fear in Jean-Claude, that this was his fault. "We're stuck here until I can learn to control my powers, and that will take between three and five hundred years. But we will return only moments after we left. So you will gain additional powers in that time, more than you would normally. I'm afraid that you will all be considered my property here, we need to at least put on a show in front of people here, but I'll try to treat you as equals as much as possible when we're in private."

Asher wasn't particularly happy about that, although the others agreed quickly, but finally he nodded. "I understand putting on a show to impress or deceive possible enemies, do you really think it is necessary here?"

"You saw how those vampires that took you three to be processed were treated, Master Vampires more than a thousand years old and they were called toys. I don't think I can keep you all safe otherwise. There are more of my kind here, and unless you three belong to me you will not be safe. And I'm getting another vampire tonight, one of the Sweet Dark's line. He might be able to tell you things about her.

"Do any of you have any questions?"

"Why were we brought here with you? I could understand Jean-Claude being brought, he was with you when you manifested, but…"

"According to legends that were old when I was first brought over any vampire that is linked to one of the Demonkin goes with them anywhere they travel, even to other worlds." For some reason Damian seemed to have gained in confidence and interrupted Asher while he was speaking. "That explains me, but I'm not sure about you."

"That could be it, but I'll ask Morion tonight anyway. The three of you are coming with me, I think we can get away with making up our own protocol. Any ideas?"

"I should act as your servant, stand to one side of your chair and wait for your commands."

"That deals with you. What about you two?"

"Belle Morte always had her favourite bed toys from among the weaker vampires sitting at her feet on formal occasions."

"You always hated that Jean-Claude." Asher had a faint edge of surprise to his voice at what Jean-Claude was suggesting. I actually approved, but I'd let them argue it out themselves.

"Yes, but if it is necessary to put on the right sort of show I will do it. And what alternatives are there?"

"None." Asher was reluctant to admit it, but he finally agreed.

"Then it's decided. You two will sit at my feet and Damian will stand at my side. Oh and Damian, you'll be the one sharing my bed after this." I let them go about their own business, Asher and Jean- Claude wanted to play chess while Damian returned to his book, a vampire story by Brian Lumley, I suppose it was fun because the vampires there are so different.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

Morion sent humans to guide us to his quarters about dusk on this planet. My vampires followed me at a respectful distance, and once I was invited to sit Jean-Claude and Asher settled themselves at my feet. Damian stood attentively at my side, only waiting my command.

"Hello Anita. I thought that today I could answer any questions you have since yesterday, and give you my gift, then we can discuss how you wish to train, and anything you wish to occupy your time."

"Fine. But there's something else. Last night the man who processed Jean-Claude had Jean-Claude whipped. I want to see him punished for that. No one touches what belongs to me!" I knew he would understand if I put it that way, I wasn't so sure that he would understand if I explained that it had hurt and scared my lover, and I wanted to make him feel as safe as he made me feel.

"Then how would you wish to see him punished?"

"With the whip he used on Jean-Claude. Twenty lashes." A human could probably survive that many lashes, but he'd be regretting his actions for a long time. I brushed the surface of Jean-Claude's mind, to find adoration for me bubbling there, and gratitude that his master cared enough to protect him.

"That sounds reasonable. Do you know his name?"

"I'm sure my pet can pick out his face and scent." A dismissal of the subject, and Jean-Claude recognised my warning not to fail him in this.

"I'll have someone bring in pictures for him to look over. Now, my gift to you." A dark vampire about my height with black hair and dark amber skin came into the room. His eyes matched his hair and his bone structure told me that he was from Africa, one of the darker tribes. He came and knelt to me. "This is Caspian. No one expects you to be able to truly claim him yet, but you need some link so you can sense him better. Let him take blood from your wrist and send your power into him with your blood."

I held out my hand, offering him my wrist. As he bit into me I could feel his fangs, both top and bottom. He was shape shifter, leopard as well as vampire. I had another addition to my pard, not alpha, but perhaps enough to act as an enforcer if necessary. He only took a mouthful of my blood, but it was enough to give me a bond with him. As he drew back one of the vampires from last night came in with the pictures, giving them to Jean-Claude, who went through them.

"What questions do you want to ask, Anita?"

"I'd like my quarters altered a little…"

"I'm sorry, we won't do that for you, you have to do it yourself when you learn how to. That is why the quarters are awkward, to give you some motivation to change them. As you probably noticed you don't need to eat, so your quarters include all the basic necessities. There is sufficient rock around them for you to carve out additional rooms as required." Fine, how hard could it be to break down a few walls? I'd learn that as soon as possible.

"I also wanted a teacher in martial arts, one who can teach Kenpo and is a black belt in Judo. Any other qualifications would be helpful, I want to learn more about fighting while I am here, I don't really want to reveal what I am when I get back home."

"I believe I can find someone qualified for that. Do you have any more requests?"

"No," I'd do without my weapons, I could always use these new powers of mine, and some old ones instead. "but why were these vampires brought along and no others?"

"I have set spells on your planet and others, they bring any Demonkin who manifests here, and also bring any vampires or other semi-immortals who they have a link to." I wondered if he defined semi-immortals the same way I did, but Jean-Claude spoke up before I could say anything more.

"I found him, ma petite." And he handed a picture of a man with light brown hair and grey eyes up to me. I passed it over to Morion.

"This is the one."

"When we've finished discussing this you can watch as he's punished. Now, the first thing you need to learn is how to limit the power you use to what you need. Then I'll teach you how to siphon energy off into objects. What do you want to learn after that?"

"What I need to know to alter my quarters to my preferences, then my necromancy, Jean-Claude can teach me what he knows of controlling the ardeur without your help."

"Very well, do you know much about your necromancy?"

"No, I just used Vaudun ritual and sex to work magic by instinct almost." I laughed ruefully at my ignorance.

"Then I shall teach you as if you knew nothing. Caspian can guide you anywhere you wish to go. If you do not object I thought I could teach you for the two hours just before midnight, followed by an hour to break then another two hours. When I find a teacher of martial arts for you it would be best if you decide the timing of lessons for yourself."

"Fine." I'd only be spending four hours a day on lessons, but I could always practise control of the ardeur and what Marianne had taught me in between. I just hoped I didn't end up raising anyone who died nearby. "Now, what was that you said about watching the punishment of your arrogant human?"

"Of course. Caspian take them to the Whipping Room. That is unless you wanted to punish him yourself Anita?"

"I don't know how to use a whip, I'll just watch. Thank you for your hospitality." And I left, taking my entourage with me.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

The human had been stripped to the waist and tied to a whipping triangle in a small, white tiled room. His arms were stretched above his head and spread wide, the muscles in his back taut. I stalked over to stand in front of him, bringing Jean-Claude with me, leaving the rest of my vampires over by the door.

"What is your name?"

"Kevar."

"Do you know why this is happening?"

"Because I disciplined your arrogant whore. What did he tell you? What lies did he come up with?"

"He told me nothing. You presumed to lay hands on what is mine. Did you really think I would permit that?" I turned my back on him. "Come, my raven." I wasn't entirely sure where that pet name came from, but Jean-Claude was so happy that I'd finally chosen a pet name for him. I never thought such a small thing could mean so much to him or I'd have found a nickname for him sooner. We stalked back to where we could watch, and not get any of his blood on us. It was a vampire wielding the whip, nearly three thousand years old and a master, he'd probably had a lot of experience I guess. I nodded to him.

"Go ahead. But I want to see blood as soon as possible, leave him with scars to remind him that it is best not to touch what belongs to me, to any of my kind."

"Yes Demonkin." He bowed to me and began to turn to his work, almost reluctantly as if…

"Did you want to say something to me?"

"Forgive my presumption Demonkin, but it is most impressive and very rare that you are so willing to protect what is yours. Most of the Demonkin would feel that so long as their bed-slaves can serve them, and no permanent damage is done it does not matter if humans beat them. That is why he thought he would be permitted to abuse your raven. He was always permitted to abuse any vampires he thought too cocky, meaning not absolutely broken, before." I got the idea this one had been on the end of the human's whip a time or two himself.

"No one touches what belongs to me but me. I think I got more of the possessive instincts than most of my kind." I made a joke of it, shocked that the rest of my kind did not feel that they were obliged to protect what was theirs. "Now, I want to hear him screaming."

He obeyed with gusto, breaking the skin on the first lash, a line of blood from left shoulder to right hip, the second following just a second after, falling barely half an inch from the first cut. He switched arms for the third lash, crossing from the right shoulder to the left hip, and that was the first time the mortal screamed. When he'd meted out five lashes he stopped and took a step back.

"I'm afraid I've been ordered not to cripple him Demonkin, how am I doing so far?"

I walked forward to trail my fingers in Kevar's wounds, licking the blood from my fingers, and determinedly not thinking of how it must have felt for Jean-Claude when he was the one under the lash. "Very well. Finish the beating and I will be satisfied."

"As you wish Demonkin." He returned to his work, varying the frequency and placement so Kevar never knew when or where he would be hit. I smiled to see it and watched as the full twenty lashes were administered despite that Kevar was unconscious for the last five. After I thanked him, and took my vampires back to my quarters.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

"Caspian, that's your quarters." I waved vaguely at the door to the left as I walked in. "Get yourself settled, I won't require you for the rest of the night. But never come into my bedroom without a specific invitation. Jean-Claude, Asher, feel free to enjoy yourselves together. Damian you'll be attending me tonight." Caspian went into his quarters while the other vampires followed me into my bedroom, Jean-Claude and Asher hesitated there after the door was closed. I didn't think vampires would be able to hear through the walls, but I checked just in case. "Will he be able to hear anything in here?"

"No, ma cherie. Did you mean it when you said we could lie together tonight?"

"If you both want to Asher, yes. Jean-Claude, are you alright?" He finally looked up at me, smiling in adoration.

"Yes, ma petite. You claimed me, and you protected me." That seemed to be all that mattered to him. It wasn't an attitude I could understand, but I certainly enjoyed the benefits of it in him.

"And it does not upset you that I take Damian to my bed tonight?"

"So long as you still favour me. He is your servant, even by vampire law I do not have any right to complain if you take him to your bed. Belle Morte would never have forbidden Asher to lie with Julianna." His voice was soft, but he still met my eyes.

"Might we go ma cherie?" Asher seemed to be impatient, not that I could blame him.

"Enjoy yourselves." I turned to Damian as they left and pulled him to the bed. "Undress me."

I was wearing blue jeans and a red T-shirt, but before he could get them off Damian knelt to unlace my black trainers. He bowed to the floor and kissed my feet before he continued, I wondered if that was something he'd been trained to do, or if he actually wanted to do it. I realised that there was one thing I hadn't made clear to him.

"Damian, if there's something you don't want to do you don't have to do it. Just tell me. And you can do anything you want as long as you please me."

"Yes, Anita. I didn't think you'd force me into anything." He smiled up from where he knelt at my feet. He was behaving more assertively than Jean-Claude was at the moment, and even Asher seemed to be submitting to me more than my vampire servant was. Not much more, but still…of course we'd been in public most of the time since I'd explained the situation and then Asher would have wanted to get Jean- Claude alone. I brushed Jean-Claude's mind with my own to find him just lying on the bed with Asher, both still fully clothed, doing nothing more than kissing. Not that I was much further along, and I pulled Damian to his feet, encouraging him to hurry, which he did, most obligingly.

Once I was naked he knelt between my legs still fully clothed and began kissing his way down my body, until he reached my sex. This time as he brought me I let the illusion I had woven around me fall, and shredded the sheets with my claws. I pulled him to lie beside me and used my claws to cut the clothes from his body, careful not to cut him, I could taste the desire this act aroused and once I could reach his organ I impaled myself on him, riding him for a while until he suddenly rolled us over so he was on top and could thrust into me, hard. I think I lost track of the time then, because when I next noticed things I had shredded his back right down to the bone - and he was smiling!

"Did I please you master?" It felt right that he call me master, the feel of his blood covering me was wondrous, but somewhere deep inside something was screaming that this was wrong.

"Yes, but I hurt you. I am sorry."

"Do not be, it isn't serious, I'm sure you can heal me and I've had far worse. I enjoyed it while you made the marks." Yes, I understood about that, and I sent my power into him to heal his wounds.

"You can stay with me if you want." I crawled over to a fresh area of the bed before lying down to go to sleep and he joined me, spooning his body around mine. I'd managed to grow used to waking up with a corpse on occasion, as long as I wasn't trapped by the corpse in question it didn't bother me.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

I must have reached out for Jean-Claude's mind as I fell to sleep, for in my dream I was an observer in his body, feeling as he did, and acting only as he chose. Asher was taking him, very much in the dominant position, and they had their teeth buried in each other's throats. Jean-Claude released Asher first after he reached orgasm and lay limp as his lover continued to thrust into him and drink from him.

"Jean-Claude?" Asher shook his lover gently to get his attention after he'd satisfied himself.

"Yes, Asher?" My consort smiled up at his lover, just waiting for his desires to make themselves known.

"Are you alright?" I looked through Jean-Claude's memories, and even my own from when I was with both of them to realise this was not his usual behaviour when he was taken. Normally he encouraged Asher, rather than just passively submitting to his attentions.

"Yes Asher, but things have changed now. Anita is more powerful than I am, and you know the Council's training took a stronger hold on me than it did on you." He'd been slightly less powerful than Asher when they travelled together with Julianna, so the training the Council had given them had made him less assertive with Asher in private - in public they pretended he was the master among them, a game.

"I don't understand why though mon corbeau," Asher used the same nickname for Jean-Claude that I did? No wonder he was so happy about it. "you are a sourdre de sang, and I am not. You should be more assertive than I am, even with Anita, one of the Demonkin."

"You know almost nothing of the Demonkin, and you are linked to her much more loosely than I am. Belle Morte used to tell me stories of the Demonkin, to be more precise their social structure as they interact with vampires. They were old when she heard them, and she didn't know why she felt compelled to pass them on to me, but I think they were accurate. A Demonkin has one primary consort, who belongs to her totally, and this consort is always a sourdre de sang or equivalent power. The other consorts can be vampires, but are not always and have a little more autonomy. And then there are the servants. Personal attendants, such as Damian share their master's bed from time to time, but not as often as consorts and bed-slaves, they have the most autonomy of any linked to the Demonkin. The more closely anyone is linked to one of the Demonkin the more submissive they are to those also linked, but less closely so, to the Demonkin. With one exception, the lesser attendants. They have nothing to do with consorts, consorts ignore them, and despite being the least closely linked of all are submissive to personal attendants. They never share their master's bed either. We aren't consorts yet, but as a sourdre de sang I think I inherited instincts for being with one of the Demonkin that you don`t have."

"You do know this is just a pretence so we won't be molested while Anita is learning what she has to know, don't you?" Asher sounded as if he truly believed that, I didn't, even though I wanted to.

"No, it isn't. Or it won't end that way. Anita might try to treat us as equals, we might want, or you might want, to try and remain independent, but by the time we return to St. Louis you will have accepted your place as one of her consorts or personal attendants." Jean-Claude spoke with quiet certainty. He already had accepted that he'd be my primary consort, he just hoped another sourdre de sang didn't catch my attention, or he might lose that place. Asher was absolutely horrified at the idea, but Jean-Claude pulled him into a kiss and distracted him into sex before he could come to me and argue about it. "I'm not entirely sure our master realises this herself yet. Please, let her learn about this at her own pace, and come to terms with it the same way. She will not be too cruel a master, that I know."

I didn't really want to learn any more, but I stayed in Jean- Claude's mind as he slid beneath Asher to arouse him with his mouth, then turned and offered himself to the golden haired vampire. I didn't manage to return to normal sleep until he came, from Asher's touch.

~~~~~*****~~~~~

I woke up covered by dried blood, Damian's blood. We were lying on our sides and I was spooning him, pressed up against his cold back. It must have looked strange, but it felt natural, would have even before this happened, he'd been submissive to me for a while. I uncurled from around him and sat up, reaching out to feed the ardeur automatically. Suddenly I caught sight of the sheets I'd shredded last night and it just hit me all at once what I was, what I'd become.

Oh God. I really was a monster. Even now I couldn't bring myself to regret anything I'd done, but I knew I was truly damned. I collapsed in tears, crying for myself, for becoming one of the monsters in a way I'd never imagined possible, but mostly for Jean-Claude, too scared of me to say anything against me, for Asher, dragged into this against his will and trying desperately to retain his freedom, and for Damian, who worshipped me and could never refuse me anything. And I couldn't even die or free them from me. They wouldn't be able to go back until I did, if I didn't keep them they would end up belonging to someone else, someone who would treat them worse than I would.

I finally came out of it to feel Jean-Claude's arms around me, trying to comfort me even though he didn't know why I was upset. When my tears stopped I sat up, putting a slight distance between us.

"What is wrong ma petite? Have you been hurt?" His voice was gentle, he had never known me to cry except when something terrible, emotionally, had happened for me.

"After what I've done to you, how can you care if I'm hurt?"

"I don't understand master. You protected me, and punished the one who hurt me. You care for me and I adore you. Why shouldn't I care if you're hurt?" He was genuinely mystified. I'd always thought he'd recovered from the abuse he'd suffered, at least in part, that he'd become independent and self-reliant. After all, he always had an agenda, he always manipulated people into doing what he wanted and he'd fought so hard for independence, for his own territory where he would be safe. And now he was willing to give that all up, to belong to me, body and mind and soul, just because of what I was. He seemed perfectly content with the idea of being dependent on me for everything and submissive to me in every way. There and them I silently vowed to treat him as much as I could the way I would one of my leopards, to encourage him to express his own opinions and never to force him to do anything against his will.

"I've enslaved you, you fought so hard against being enslaved, worked for so long to be free, and now it doesn't bother you?"

"You are Demonkin and I am a sourdre de sang, it is in my nature to submit to you without question." He was so accepting of the fact that he would be owned, and probably abused. How could he react that way? I never could have done the same. I remembered how Richard had hurt his wolves when he'd been fighting against what he was and decided to