Beta: svmaria, who is a fantastic beta even at 3 am!
Disclaimer: Smallville is owned by the WB, CW & DC. No maliciousness intented.
Authors Note:This was inspired by this lovely photo that was sent to me. The artist is listed as Chloe. THIS IS NOT MY ARTWORK!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Kenaf/Smallville/lexvisits.jpg
To Chloe: if you want me to remove this link, just say the word. Sorry, but I didn't know how to reach you since I didn't know where it was taken from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I missed Lex. And somehow, those words don't seem to say enough. I'd always thought that someday we'd work through the problems we had. But I'd lied too much. I never told him the truth. And it seemed, over the year we've been apart, that he always knew. I'd been a fool. Yet, the chance for redemption, it seemed had slipped through my fingers.

Lex was my real best friend. When I had problems with Pete, Chloe, Lana or my folks, I turned to him. And in return for his loyalty and steadfastness, I never offered the one thing he wanted, my trust.

It was painful really, to watch him during the fall and winter jet, setting from here to there. The last I'd seen him was at his father's funeral. I guess none of us were surprised when Lionel had been murdered. The real surprise came after the funeral, when Lex sold LuthorCorp, lock, stock and barrel. The only condition was that they rename it and allow any employees that wished to go to LexCorp, go freely.

I felt like a stalker. Clippings covered my bulletin board in my tiny off-campus studio apartment. On it were pictures of Lex in China, Japan, Tibet, Thailand and more. When my mother saw it, she simply smiled and said how it was a shame that we never stayed friends; it's funny how mothers only see what they want to see.

It took her a long time to adjust to the change in me. I stopped bringing home girls or even talking about them. Slowly, I started to talk about guys. She never batted an eyelash when I brought one home either. I guess she really meant it when she said she just wanted me to be happy.

But only one thing could make me happy now. To see the man I never knew I loved until it was too late…to see Lex.

I wondered sometimes if Lex would ever return to Kansas. LexCorp seemed to be doing fine under Gabe Sullivan's hand. Lex was solidifying major markets and making Lex a global company, in every sense of the word. I was so proud of him. I thought about trying to write him a letter, but I figured it would never reach him. Lex has been listed as one of the Top Ten Sexiest Men Alive by that one magazine, ever since I left for Met U.

One year slipped into another, without any clue where Lex really was, until the articles started to appear this past year. It was almost like he didn't want to be found… and then, it was okay. I hoped this was a sign that he was ready to come home. Or better yet, a sign he could forgive me. Stupid, really? What would Alexander Luthor, the richest man alive today, want with a stupid farm kid who lied to him and never trusted him anyway?

My 21st birthday is tomorrow. I'll graduate soon and I've already been offered an internship at the Daily Planet, in Metropolis. I think Chloe had something to do with it. At least we managed to stay friends. Unfortunately, I'll have to work with Lois. The bad part being she's still just as annoying and it's cranked up a notch since she got a crush on me. Here's to hoping I don't have to work with her directly or I'll probably have to play into the whole thing to get her off my case.

It was hard really, keeping up the mask. Maybe it was some Kryptonian thing, but I knew deep down that Lex was the only person for me. I sure as hell dated enough to try to prove otherwise. Maybe in school I was king of the nerds, but in college it was a different score. Finally able to buy my own clothes, I settled for casual, without a piece of flannel in sight.

Oddly enough, I noticed that Lex's fashion style had changed too. The last few pictures I'd seen, he was sporting a dressy casual look, which he had around the castle when he knew I was coming over to shoot pool or watch a movie. This was only adding more fuel to my fire. It had convinced me for weeks that it meant he was coming back to Kansas. No such luck.

Then a week ago, I forced myself to put it all aside. After listening to a lecture on Alexander the Great in class, I couldn’t take it anymore. I wrote a very brief letter to Lex and posted it to LexCorp, not knowing where else exactly to send it to after all. It was short and to the point.

Lex,
I miss you. And I was an idiot. Come home soon.
Love,
Clark

Hey, I could always chalk the "love" part up to sentimentality. It's not like he'd ever see it, right? Gabe might get it, and shake his head, saying something along the lines of "poor Kent kid, must be lonely." Maybe mom will relay a message to her idiot son of "honey, Lex is busy, you know that."

Yeah, I did but…

So, here I sit. Moping, again… once upon a time I was a real social guy here. Now, I mope a lot and work on my stuff for school. I got a note the other day, I made the Dean's List again. Well, it keeps those scholarships rolling in at least.

Today, I've picked my favorite building, the Astronomy Building, to hang outside in the sunshine. Sometimes when I get this blue, it really does a number on cheering me up. I sat on a series of steps, a few feet away from the white pillars of the domed building.

"Clark?" came a familiar voice.

I looked up and jumped to my feet. "LEX!"

A smile tugged at Lex's lips. "I got your letter." He waved it at me, like it was his golden ticket to get to see me. Looking around quickly, I was grateful that only he and I (were) there. In the near distance I could see Ted Williams, the photographer for the school paper. He was a nice guy and I'm sure he wouldn’t crowd Lex. I'd read that Lex had some problems with that, here and there, since he was so recognizable.

I walked over, unable to stop the shit eating grin on my face. Nervous as to how to approach him after all this time, I stopped a few feet away.

He frowned. "What, no hug?"

I didn’t think my smile could get bigger. Wrong! Somewhere along the way, I'd closed the distance between us, or (maybe) he did. I'm not sure at this point. But before either of us could say another word, we were wrapped up in each other's arms. I was still smiling as we pulled apart, although I was happy to note not completely. He still had his hands on my chest and I had mine on his waist.

"So Dean's list again, eh?" Lex beamed at me. "I'm very proud of you, Clark."

It's funny how. when my mother says that to me, it does nothing for me. When Lex says the same thing, my heart flips in my chest and I'm ready to jump through hoops of fire to hear it again…without my powers!

"Yeah, so don’t tell me my note brought you back home Mr. Billionaire Jet Setter?" I teased feeling a rush of nostalgia as I do (did) so.

"I can read between lines, Clark." Lex's smile dropped. It was replaced by a mischievous glint in his blue eyes. "And I forgive you, but it will cost you."

"Name it." I'd do anything at this point. Anything.

"Firstly, I want a picture of the two of us together. It was one thing I didn't have on my sabbatical (and) I wish I'd had." At this point, hope started to beat wildly in my chest. I couldn't breathe. "Secondly, I'd like to take you out to dinner."

"Dinner?" Lex came home to go with me to dinner?

"As in a date, Clark…You're about to graduate and if I read that letter correctly, we share some deep feelings for each other. That is, unless you sign all your letters, "Love, Clark?"

I guess my smile answered him, or the wild, doggie-on-the-dashboard nodding did. "Good," Lex turned away from me, but didn't release my hand when his one arm slid down mine. "Hey, guy with the camera!" Lex yelled at Ted.

Ted turned and waved at me, then looked star-struck at Lex. He jogged over. "Clark, you've been holding out!" I laughed. Ted and I have been friends for awhile. We took the same journalism classes together. Little did Lex know but Ted was being sarcastic. I moped over Lex a lot. Ted knew it. Heck, he tried to set me up with a few guys to get my mind off of it. By the look on his face, he sees now how hopelessly in love I am with Lex.

"Ted, I'd like you to meet my friend Lex." With the right amount of politeness and smile, Lex reached out his hand. Ted was shaking his head as they greeted each other. "Can you take our picture? And I'll need a few copies."

"Sure thing, man," Ted took a few steps backwards, down the steps. "Clark, you're blocking all the light. Why don’t you guys sit down on the steps?"

I sat down behind Lex by one step. Lex surprised me yet again by leaning back into me. Unable to resist I wrapped my arms loosely around him. "I love you," tumbled out of my mouth, luckily I happened to whisper it directly into his ear.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lex smile a bit brighter than the Mona Lisa. But it was one that was enigmatic enough to drive Ted up a wall, when he developed it. The camera snapped off a few times in a row. We thanked him and I told him to email when they were done. Ted nodded and with one last handshake to Lex, waved as he walked away.

Lex took a deep breath and relaxed a bit more in my arms. He looked up at me and said, "I should probably tell you I'm planning on lots of dates Clark, possibly a lifetime worth. You aren't the only one who realized they made a mistake."

I searched his eyes and saw only the truth. "I meant it, Lex."

"Yeah, I know. But, as always, you blew my big plans. I was hoping to answer you back over dinner, when I gave you this." Lex reached into the pockets of the black jeans he was wearing, which matched his long sleeve black cotton casual top perfectly. He pulled out a small box.

Turning slightly, he opened it toward me. "I love you, Clark Kent. This is a commitment ring, to prove to you that I mean this. I don’t care what people say. If stock starts to plummet, I'll sell the company. But I thought I lost you once and I don't plan on letting you get away now. And so help me, if you tell me there's someone else right now, my private investigator will meet an untimely demise tonight."

I shook my head laughing. Trust Lex to have had me watched. I should have known. But I didn't care. Lex loved me and nothing else mattered. "There's never been anyone to take your place, Lex."

Lex gave me one of those warm smiles that melted my heart in the first five minutes, when I'd met him on the riverbank years ago. He must have been thinking along the same lines as he slipped the simple ring on my hand. "This is our destiny, Clark."

I nodded dumbly, staring at the ring. So, I don't know if he closed his eyes or not. All I know is that he kissed me right then and there, in the middle of Met U campus. And suddenly, my entire life clicked. In my head I heard Jor-El for the first time in years.

"Behold the one true love of my only son Kal-El, once united never more shall you be parted. This is the way of our people, my son. Treat this as the precious possession it is, for love is the legacy of our people. And our love is you."

Lex looked up at me with a question in his eyes. He lifted his hand and brushed away a tear. "Clark?"

We'd come full circle, I thought and I knew it was time. I pulled him so his back was once more to my chest. I kissed his temple lovingly and said. "Once upon a time, there was a planet called Krypton…"