Leap of Faith by Keikokin (PG)
A Smallville/Quantum Leap xover written for the CLFF Wave 27. When Sam leaps into the live of a Smallville resident, he changes things forever. 

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters: None
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 10502 - Hits: 2337
Complete?: Yes - Published: 22/09/08 - Last Updated: 22/09/08
Story Notes:
This is a crossover!!!

1. Chapter 1 by Keikokin



Chapter 1 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
All the parts of this are together. It was just easier to load as one document. Thanks for understanding.
Warnings: This deals with angst, hurt/comfort and a heavy dose of personal pain

Title: Leap of Faith

Author: Keikokin

Fandom: Smallville/Quantum Leap

Pairing: Clex and Al/Sam hinted

AU: Jonathan is still alive but passes during this and Lex/Lana is over.

Warnings: This deals with angst, hurt/comfort and a heavy dose of personal pain with copious amounts of fluff. May be OCC.

Summary: Sam Beckett jumps into the life of one Smallville resident, changing the future forever.

 

Part 1: Another Jump

 

Within the dark confines of the room, Lex Luthor sat on a leather couch, his head cradled in shaky hands. Tears flowed quietly down his cheeks in a silent agony. He was grateful for the chance to finally be left alone by well-meaning staff to expunge some of the pain he was dealing with currently.

 

By now, the Smallville grapevine would have reported Lana had lost their baby. What they didn’t see or know was that it was the second time. Both he and Lana were shattered. Neither could talk to the other. Out of the blue, their marriage crumbled and there was someone else now in Lana’s life and she was suddenly demanding a divorce. 

 

Oh, Lex knew they had their problems. But nothing could prepare a couple for what they’d experienced. Lex was finding it increasingly difficult to deal with the factory and he wasn’t ready for Lionel to gloat about “it’s all for the best”. To make matters worse, the man Lana was with now was one of his old friends who’d he taken under his wing only to be stabbed as Lana had moved in with him into his condo.

 

It was too, too much at once and Lex snapped.

 

Picking up the remote for the music system, Lex put on some classical music to soothe his mind. He scoffed even as the first delicate notes filled the air. Perhaps a heart and mind lobotomy could be had cheaply.

 

Stalking over to the fireplace, he leaned toward its flickering depths. The shadows caught the etched lines of grief that filled Lex’s face. No one else would be permitted to see such a vulnerable moment. But he was being watched whether he knew it or not.

 

Clark Kent sat on the outskirts of the Luthor property, watching his old friend poke the fire robotically. He didn’t know what to do for this man who he’d once called his best friend. They’d had a parting of the ways and Clark wasn’t sure it could ever be breached. But he didn’t like to see Lex suffer like this. He saw another man enter the room and tuned in his hearing.

 

“Sir, a package for you,” came a soft whisper from a man servant as he dropped the manila envelope onto a desk then left just as quietly as he’d entered. Lex made a mental note to give the man a raise.

 

Taking a deep breath and a bit glad for the diversion he walked over and ripping the envelope. Upon seeing their contents and did a double take. It was pictures of Lana and her boyfriend. Undoubtedly the ‘good news’ came from his father’s hand. It’s not like Lionel would actually care about Lex possibly having feelings. It wasn’t allowed as a Luthor after all. He could call the family attorney in the morning. It wasn’t as if anything could be done. But perhaps he could keep them out of the paper, just like with all the rest. Nothing could be done. He lost his spouse, two babies and a close friend.

 

And he still missed Clark. Wasn’t that a kicker? Lana knew that too. It never failed to get under her skin whenever the handsome, young farmer was mentioned. Very possibly, it was one of the few things she had in common with Lionel. But it was on a very long list of things that she didn’t have in common with Lex.

 

It irritated her to no end when Lex would stare wistfully at the beautiful Kansas sunsets daydreaming of the farm boy. She didn’t even like sunsets! And Kansas was home of such glorious panoramic views of nature. How could she not see it? Did they ever have anything in common except for both wanting Clark and neither really landing him?

 

Lex snorted at his musings. Instead he poured himself some scotch and took some pills to take away the pain. Tomorrow he’d see if he could find some high quality stuff, just to get him over the hump of the pain…just until he could deal with it. He sat back down and railing internally at the unfairness of it all, gave the heavens the finger.

 

Outside, it had just begun to rain. Clark felt some relief to see a bit of Lex emerge in his last act of defiance. But it was time to go. He ran home and during the 5.2 seconds it took him; he tried to thing of something…anything to help Lex and perhaps himself.

 

Martha Kent turned her head as her son entered the small, yellow farmhouse. “Clark?”

 

Clark leaned heavily in the doorway between the small living room and the hall. “I’m just headed up to bed, Mom. Night.”

 

As he turned, he failed to see Martha bite her lip with worry and pain in her own heart for what Lex Luthor was dealing with and by some odd left over remnant of friendship, so was Clark. Once more she wondered how Clark really felt about Lex. There had been a brief period where Lex and Clark could have gone either way with their friendship. Unfortunately it had not withheld the betrayal, lies and Lana Lang.

 

Her eyes rolled to the ceiling where she heard the familiar, heavy footsteps of her son upstairs readying for bed. She looked at her watch and wasn’t comforted by the fact it was only going on seven. She wondered what she could do.

 

The same thought was running through the head of Chloe Sullivan as she double checked her research. But there was no denying that Lana and Lex had been hit with not one miscarriage but two.

 

Did Clark know? Would he care? Should they try to mend fences with Lex since Lana had left them all for parts unknown? Huffing into her hair Chloe realized she’d lost Lana as a friend the second she became Mrs. Luthor. The change in her demeanor alone was not attractive. Frankly, Chloe wondered why Lex had put up with her so long.

 

Despite her own residual feelings toward Clark, Chloe wondered if things could have worked out between Clark and Lana. With a sigh, her focus traveled over her desk and spotted a headline on her favorite magazine: “Gay unions soon to be recognized in Kansas?”

 

She blinked. Her mind raced. The staccato of rapidly tapping fingers filled the air as she chewed the inside of her cheek.

 

Lex and Clark? Was there ever any attraction there? Is that why they couldn’t stay friends? Was there more to this breakup beyond surface deep?

 

Thinking back of all the innuendo, tension and heat between the two over the years she smacked herself in the forehead.

 

If Clark really cares about Lex at all he’d want to be there for Lex now, especially if he’d been counting on that baby to be the bright light at the end of the dark tunnel.

 

Chloe Sullivan grabbed her gear and closed off the lights, wondering if there was such a thing as a miracle to bring the two together. And she made a wish for a miracle on the outside hope that one would appear. Maybe she could pluck up her courage and speak to the billionaire about his feelings for one Clark Kent?

 

 

Scientist Sam Beckett felt the rush of sensation and mentally thanked Al, his hologram of a friend for the advice that finally lead to the jump that would hopefully bring him one step closer to his own time. He glowed for a second then reappeared, once again never knowing what caused him to leap into another’s life at that particular time. 

 

Natural reaction kicked in and he froze momentarily to take stock of his ‘new body’. Seeing the gun in his hand he dropped it in a panic, dropping a glass of expensive brandy at the same time. Jumping to his feet he tried to catch his rising fear. In a mirror, he saw a shaved head, well-tailored clothing and a staggering, ghostly image wrought with pain. “Oh boy.”

 

There was an odd machine noise, but Sam knew that sound. He turned to see Al. “Am I glad to see you. Where am I? Who am I? Why am I here?”

 

Al chomped on the end of his cigar. “Give me a minute Sam!”

 

“I might not have a minute,” Sam/Lex hissed. “Someone might be along any minute.” As Sam/Lex looked around he stared. Luxurious surroundings and fine furniture were professionally arranged as far as his blurry eyes could see.

 

“Ha! Looks to me like you settled in the good life this time Sam. I don’t think you will be disturbed unless you ring for a butler or something,” he waved a cigar filled hand about for emphasis. Sam nodded with Lex’s hand and smoothed one hand over his now bald palate. Wow, that feels really weird. Al chuckled and giving it a rub, nodded and went back to what he was doing. After more clicks and whirls from “Ziggy” the portable handheld device Al used to connect them back to the labs, Al shook his head first one way than another, muttering to himself.

 

Frustrated and feeling drunkenly unsteady Sam-Lex sat down. “Al he was trying to kill himself. I was holding that when I popped in.” He pointed at a gun and Al paled. Sam-Lex gulped himself. It would have been way too easy to have pulled the trigger as he jumped into this body. Sitting forward he wove his hands together and rested his elbows on his knees to try and calm down. But he knew he was close to hyperventilating. Al made waving motions at him to give him some air. Concern was evident on his face as well.

 

“Ziggy says this guy’s name is Alexander Luthor. He’s some big wig corporate, whose dad Lionel Luthor is known for stealing to get his way and brought this castle from Scotland stone by stone! They’re worth a fortune!” Al whistled looking at the amount of zeros in the figure from Ziggy.

 

Sam-Lex huffed and rolled his now blue eyes shivering at the sensation of being in someone else’s body always gave him. “Why was he trying to kill himself if life was so good Al? It doesn’t make any sense.”

 

Inhaling deeply, Al looked at his friend. “It seems Lex, as he was called, was known for wine, women and song with a side order of bad corporate raider. At this point he was married to one Lana Lang, but I’m not showing a female life sign in the place. Maybe they’re divorced…” Al mused and punched in a few more figures before shaking his head once more.

 

“Ah here we go. Lana left him for…ouch…one of his friends and they had two miscarriages. Poor schmuck,” Al commented looking at Sam-Lex with sympathy.

 

“Oh my god,” Sam felt shaky and tried to stand but swayed again.

 

“WHOAH there!” Al did the best he could to get Sam to lay down on the couch before waving Ziggy in his direction and punching more keys. He scowled. “It seems your alcohol blood content is pretty high there Sam. Why don’t you sleep it off and I’ll be back tomorrow.”

 

“You can’t!” Sam-Lex argued but it was too late. Al vanished in a burst of light and he was alone. Closing his eyes, he welcomed the night and hoped he didn’t mess up this Lex guy’s life too badly, although how much worse could it get? He spent the next few hours trying to find out everything he could about Lex Luthor, to play the part as best he could while fending off a killer hangover.

 

 

Part 2: Awaken into Life

 

Sam woke the next morning with a nasty headache and a desire to wash his eyeballs off in the sink. He walked over to a floor-to-ceiling length window and pushed a button on the wall. Sam himself was never a morning person himself and found it hard to deal when he jumped into a morning person. He was running pretty much on automatic. Leaping was always a bit…disconcerting. It always seemed just as he was getting his bearings that he jumped. He was always partially on his guard as well.

 

He looked out at the sunrise and thought it was pretty, but he had always loved the sunset more. It seemed to be inherent in Lex Luthor’s makeup to take stock of his surroundings and it was like riding along in a robots body when they were so different, but he certainly could admire a good sunset. He wondered if the sunrises were this pretty wherever he was, if the sunset would be as good. He wandered into a walk-in closet and whistled at the interior. There were mirrors and shoes and what seemed like miles of business clothes.

 

Sam sighed. He really preferred wearing blue jeans and a shirt. Looking around he eventually came upon a pair way in the back. He put the tight blue jeans on and the cashmere light blue sweater he’d found as well. Upon hearing his own stomach growl he proceeded to let the body take over and found himself in the dining room. A long highboy on spindly antique legs was against one wall with a silver tray on it. He instinctively picked up the lid and looked underneath. There was a large selection of fruits and melons of the season cut up into small pieces, wheat toast and a pot of tea.

 

“Al, I’m going to starve to death. Doesn’t this guy eat? What’s with all the fruits and vegetables. Does he own roadside farm stands too?”

 

There was a flash of light and Al popped into the room with a flash of light and took in his surroundings. “You bellowed?”

 

Sam shrugged. “Sorry Al. This is just so frustrating. I don’t know hardly anything about this guy. I found I have a very fancy watch and I think it means something to me. But my memories aren’t coming yet.” He ran a hand over his bald skull and shivered at the oddity of it all.

 

“Don’t panic, Sam. Here I found out something else.” He waved idly with his cigar in one hand. The small machine made some odd noises and Al hit it before continuing. “You lost your hair in a meteor shower which Ziggy thinks would have given you some sort of mutant ability.”

 

Sam’s jaw dropped. “Mutant ability?”

 

Al continued as if Sam hadn’t said a word, “It appears that the meteors gave off an odd radiation and are green. He suggests you keep away from them because he can’t predict what it will do to your ability.”

 

“What is my ability?” Sam asked softly wondering what it was like to be a mutant.

 

“You heal very rapidly. Apparently it’s come in handy a few times. There are sketchy medical files that suggest you’d been beaten on more than one occasion. You even had sword scratches and were in a car accident.”

 

“Car accident? What happened?”

 

“Well, it would seem a local boy rescued you. It made the papers.”

 

“What? Did I get hurt?”

 

“Huh. Get this. It appears one Clark Kent rescued you.” He hit the small machine on the side and made a face when it made a noise suspiciously like a raspberry. “Sorry Sam, that’s all I can give you.”

 

“Stop calling me Sam. Call me Lex.”

 

Al frowned. “Hey, you having problems with this jump Sammy? ‘Cause if you are,” he waved the machine at Sam to check his vitals. “No, no you’re okay.”

 

“I – I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost like this Lex guy is in shock and I’m a driver at the controls. Sometimes he drives, sometimes I drive. Maybe he’s got a will of iron or something?”

 

“We’ll figure something out Sam. Who knows maybe there’s a reason for all this? We’ll look some more.” There was a flash of light and Al was gone. Sam huffed and looked around again. He grabbed the plate and brought it over to the table. As if out of nowhere, a man in a suit appeared.

 

“The Produce Delivery has arrived sir. I’m keeping him in the kitchen as you asked.” He nodded toward Lex with a bit of a smirk then left the room.

 

Sam wondered what this Lex guy needed to talk to the produce delivery man about, but decided he’d better play along. He let the body of Lex take over again as they headed to the kitchen. Long stainless steel counters seemed to go on for miles in the gourmet kitchen that seemed to take up one half of the immense room.  

 

Much to his shock, Sam almost fell over from the sheer amount of attraction this body felt toward the handsome, young man standing beyond the back of the kitchen. The door had been left open and a vision sat in the front of a red pickup truck looking sad. His bottom lip was full and lush and Sam was stunned by his own attraction toward the brunet. He wore a red t-shirt that hinted at rock hard muscles that lay underneath. A jean jacket was layered on top and ….oh god.

 

Sam licked his lips as Lex’s eyes went toward a new destination of their own volition. The Adonis was in a tight pair of Wranglers and cowboy boots. He put out a hand and steadied himself along a metal counter. The young man closed the door to the truck and patted it softly. He had keys in his hands that he was regarding with such sadness.

 

Suddenly Sam understood. This was why he jumped here. He was sure of it. If Lex Luthor was as uptight as his clothes and this castle he lived in and was in love with this boy…? Wow, what was going to happen? Was it morally alright if something did happen to be doing that in someone else’s body?

 

A voice came from nowhere and Sam was stunned to realize that Lex had managed to assert himself. He must be very strong willed, Sam thought as he heard. “Hello Clark.” His second shock was the dripping invitation to do anything, anything at all. He felt oddly embarrassed, but his words seem to affect Clark. The boy’s eyes lit up as if Christmas had come.

 

Lex’s body went stiff for a moment as he realized this was the young man who rescued him. “Hi…hi Lex.” The stuttered reply did something to Sam’s heart and he found it both endearing and intoxicating. This Clark Kent was like catnip to this man. How had he managed not to jump him yet?

 

“My, um, my Dad says I have to get right back home.” Clark looked down and scuffed his boots on the floor and Sam felt Lex’s heart swell at the innocence of this young man. But at the same time he felt fury.

 

Out of nowhere, Al appeared over Clark’s right shoulder. “This is it Sam! Ziggy says you have to make a choice here.”

 

“It’s okay Clark.” Sam said. He thought he knew what to do now. Lex was stiff and Sam pushed hard to say what he knew had to be said. It was time for this Lex Luthor, the poor little rich boy speak from his heart. If the ache in it was any indicator it hadn’t been done for a long time – if ever.

 

“It is?” Large puppy dog eyes looked at him with the most amazing shade. It almost spooked Sam when the tidal wave of emotions came at his heart from all sides. How long had Luthor been playing cat and mouse with this guy? Maybe he was waiting for Lex to make the first move?

 

“Yes, Clark it is. I have something I’ve wanted to give you for a long time and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t knock my block off for it.” Sam glared for a moment at Al and he blinked away. They were alone again and that was good because he needed to summon every inch of courage he had to do what he felt in his heart needed to be done. “And you don’t have to return it. But if you want to return it, I’d be honored.”

 

“Lex?” Large innocent eyes looked hopeful. Sam and Lex were hooked and they leaned forward as one, and ever so gently Sam started to lean even more toward Clark. They were scant seconds apart from kissing when there was a knock at the door and they practically jumped apart.

 

The door opened and an older angry-looking blond man walked in with a red haired woman. “Clark, let’s go home.” Dimly Lex recalled that someone else must have been in the battered red truck.

 

“But Dad,” Clark hedged and Sam’s attention was drawn to the handsome older couple that had to be Clark’s parents. Although, it seemed to him that Clark didn’t look anything like them. Sam thought about that for a moment then filed it away to think of later.

 

“Clark, please.” Mrs. Kent put out a hand. “Goodbye Lex.”

 

“Goodbye Mrs. Kent.” His head looked toward the man and a chill from the bones through to the skin seemed to shoot through him. Clearly they had met before. Then it came to him like a flash. They’d met at the car accident. Sam sighed in relief at having memories coming back to him. He wondered idly if this was going to be a long jump or a short one. Playing it safe, Sam nodded respectfully in the other direction at Mr. Kent. “Sir.”

 

“Come on Clark, time to go home.” The man snapped looking at Lex’s hand with disdain. Lex pulled it back feeling hurt and angry.

 

“I can walk.” Clark’s handsome face frowned and pouted once more. Sam had to fight Lex’s body from simply jumping the younger man. His eyes were riveted to the full, lush lips of the young man in front of him. All sorts of thoughts were drifting through this body about Clark.

 

“Clark, please,” his mother said for the second time and Lex could see the minute Clark caved.

 

“Okay can I have one minute please?” Clark tried once more.

 

“No, Clark. There’s no reason to bother Mr. Luthor.” Sam felt shivers at the way the man said his name – with such loathing. What was with this guy? He wondered. Then he remembered the near threat at the river. His lips still tingled in memory. Clark had kissed him back to life. And they’d almost just kissed now. Sam watched as the Kent’s left then pressed his hand into his groin to drive down the erection he was getting watching the youngest Kent walk away.

 

Walking hurriedly over to the kitchen door and closing it Sam hissed out once he was alone. “Al, AL!”

 

Sam was pacing by the time Al showed up. “Is it safe?” Al winked. “I thought you were going to pounce on Mr. All-American! I didn’t know you swung that way.”

 

“Me neither. I’m affected by what Luthor feels though. Trust me Al; he’s in love with Clark. And is there some sort of Kent-Luthor feud you’re not telling me about? And why doesn’t Clark look like his parents?”

 

“Oh boy, “Al laughed. “It seems Mr. Luthor paid Mr. Kent to talk his friends into selling their business to him. Mr. Luthor also helped the Kent’s adopt Clark, although Ziggy can’t figure out why they had to go through him.” The cigar bobbed dangerously between his fingers as he waved his arms about. “But hey! This is good Sam. Ziggy says you’ve already changed the future. Maybe this will be a short jump!”

 

“God I hope so,” Sam answered. He sank within the consciousness of Lex Luthor and let the body do the walking back to his office. His feet took him over to the window to watch the incredible sunset and wonder ‘what if’. What if he’d kissed Clark Kent? How had Luthor’s life been changed? What else would need to be done? How far would this go? He let the incredible sunset cool his desire.

 

“Still chasing that Kent Boy, Lex?” A man stood by the doorway, leaning against it like a cat that caught the canary and was too satisfied to be bothered with little things like standing up straight. He reminded Sam of an old panther. Dad the voice within him supplied. Sam was startled by the amount of sheer hatred and loathing pouring through Lex’s mind, body and soul.

 

“Not even a ‘hello’?” Sam snapped not caring about hurting this man’s feelings, if the dark, twisted emotions of Lex were anything to go by.

 

“Obviously hanging with the good people of the Earth hasn’t helped your disposition Lex.” Lionel Luthor cast his eyes about the room. “I’m not sure I like what you’ve done to the place.”

 

“Why are you really here?” Sam couldn’t help asking.

 

“I just wondered why stay here, but I see now. Young Mr. Kent is the epitome of the innocent farm boy. Planning on going cherry picking Lex? I thought peaches were more your style. Pray tell this isn’t some hero worship since he rescued you is it? That would be horribly cliché even for you Lex. Or are you simply desperate since none of your marriages ever work out? You can’t even seem to spawn well.”

 

Sam was getting the idea as to why Lex hated his father. Lionel certainly would never win Father of the Year. Then it hit him. “Now I know why Mr. Kent hates me on sight. It’s carried over from how much he loathes you.”

 

This seemed to hit home and Lionel snuffed, staring at his cuticles. “As if that would matter to me, but I am a real Luthor. It’s something you should try son. I told you that love doesn’t exist when will you believe that?”

 

Sam felt Lex start to miss Clark and knew he had to get rid of this man. “Go home Dad.”

 

“I can see I’m not appreciated. But let me tell you Lex, if you get caught not even the Luthor millions can save you from a sodomy charge.” Sam slammed the door behind father and felt his body lunge toward the bar. Still mindful of the headache he woke up with this morning, he managed to settle for a bottle of water and bed.

 

 

The next day Lana’s lawyer was waiting for him in the sitting room as he came down for breakfast, ruining his appetite completely. Sam, feeling already worn out from battling Lex’s will, let the depression wash over him like a welcome tide. Just as he started to wonder what he could possibly do to convince Lex to live, another visitor arrived.

 

Lex was startled to see a nervous looking Martha Kent standing in his kitchen with his produce delivery. “Mrs. Kent. How are you today?” Sam found he liked this woman who seemed to radiate the same kind of purity her son did. “I, um, wanted to thank you.”

 

Lex took a deep breath of Mrs. Kent’s perfume that so reminded him of his own late mother. Puzzled, Lex’s face drew into a frown at her obvious discomfort. “Whatever for?”

 

“Clark, well, he seems happier. His father and I were both concerned how your friendship would fare with what’s happened between you and Lana.” Sam was wondering where this was going and sensed Lex felt the same. “You know he’s had a crush on Lana for so long and it’s been holding him back. And so when you and Lana…well, it broke him Lex, although, his father doesn’t like to admit it. But I know my son and he’s a very unique individual, so neither his father nor I want to see him hurt again.”

 

Sam’s mouth dropped. “Let me get this right. You know I …care about Clark and you want to let me know you’re okay with that as long as I can give you some assurance I won’t hurt him?”

 

“Can you?” she asked in a firm, no-nonsense voice that made Sam wonder if he was going to get sent to bed without supper if he answered wrong. “How do you feel about Clark?”

 

Al suddenly appeared behind Mrs. Kent waving and smiling pointing to Ziggy. Sam nodded and swallowed, trying to find his nerve before admitting. “I love him.”

 

She smiled widely as Al jumped up and down before him. Sam braced himself for a jump but much to his dismay it didn’t happen. “I’ll talk to Jonathan.”

 

She winked and left the kitchen. Sam slumped against a counter and wished he had a clue what he needed to do this time. He growled at Al. “So why didn’t I jump? Do have any idea how hard it was to get this guy to admit that?”

 

Al frowned and bit on his cigar. “He’s really giving you a time isn’t he? I wonder what the deal is between these two. Maybe you’ll have to go all the way,” Al teased, “that is if Mrs. Kent there doesn’t make you two get hitched first!”

 

“Very funny, Al.” Sam stormed out of the kitchen and decided to go exploring. Maybe he could get some answers that way. But what he found just made him realize how badly Lex Luthor was obsessed with Clark Kent. From information and pictures about the accident to numerous photos, some candidly taken from great distances and others that were under passwords and privacy locks. Then he began to open all the drawers he could find, starting with his bedroom.

 

Hours later, Sam was standing over a pair of silver commitment rings in front of a picture that showed a smiling Lex with a grinning Clark draped over him. “Holy shit.” When he flipped open the little jeweler’s box he expected to see one of the rings from his marriage to Lana. But instead he stared at what were plainly two men’s rings, one in a rather large size clearly for a bigger hand – like Clarks. He nervously read the inscription, “For the man I can’t live without.”

 

Sam sat down dumbly and continued to stare at the rings. Pocketing them carefully he analyzed what he knew about Clark and allowed the emotions that Lex had clearly bottled up wash over him in his effort to leave the pain behind. No wonder Lex had gone crazy out of his mind with grief and angst. Clearly losing his wife and wondering if the man he loved could ever be in his life even when he’d married the only girl he cared about…well, who wouldn’t snap Sam wondered.

 

Pushing aside the grief over the loss of the babies, Sam felt Clark surge to the forefront of Lex’s mind. It seemed the young Luthor had wanted Clark ever since that day on the riverbank when he looked into those soft eyes in such a strong body. He was reminded that what Lex felt was strong and true. They would be there long after Sam was gone. Sam felt strongly that he was there to bring the two men together. At least all signs seemed to point that way.

 

Sam wondered what strange forces of nature had conspired to bring such strangely opposite people together. But he knew that Lex would go on loving Clark even if Clark never returned those feelings. However, Sam felt that Clark did. Yet Clark didn’t want to go against the wishes of his parents. Could it be that simple? There was a hint of distrust that hung between them. Secrets, floated to him out of Lex’s mind into his own. Sam shook his head. How did Lex manage to even make it through the day thinking so much about the young man?

 

Lex’s feet led him to a garage filled with exotic cars and Sam was only too happy to acquiesce to Luthor’s need for speed. Twenty minutes later he was crossing Smallville’s Court Square and wondered how a homosexual relationship would be construed in such a little town. Perhaps they would be grateful to see them stop dancing around each other. Nevertheless, the rest of the day was devoted to pondering Clark Kent and Lex Luthor and what Sam should do about the situation.

 

Part 3: Super Panic

 

The more time Sam spent in the small town, he saw how truly impossible things were. Even if he and Clark managed to ever hook up, how damaging would it be to the Kent Family Farm? Their entire business revolved around how they were perceived by others. True, Lex could probably swing some big contacts but would that be enough to cover the Kent family being shunned by their neighbors.

 

On the other hand, if Clark were to move to the big city, would anyone besides the Kent’s really care? Oh sure, there would be some pictures here and there but it was infinitely better to have the press after them there then in Smallville. Was it right though to ask Clark to give up everything he knew and loved about Smallville to be with him in Metropolis? But wouldn’t Lex have to be pretty sure of himself, to have bought those commitment rings? By the same token though, if he was so sure of himself why was he about to kill himself when Sam popped in?

 

It was enough to give a simple scientist a headache from hell. Or maybe it was remnants of his hangover from yesterday. After parking, Sam was soon sitting down in a coffee house that seemed to be a ritual for Luthor. At least the billionaire’s shoes seemed to know the way. Sam was in no mood for argument. As he placed his order the memories swept over him of him and Lana in this place and of afternoons spent with Clark and his friends, when Lex still knew for sure he was on Clark’s friend’s list.

 

Deep pain shot through him at the loss of Lana and two potential children. Despite having a father like Lionel, Lex wanted children desperately. Unfortunately, knowing he was in love with Clark Kent made having that a mere pipe dream. Perhaps they could adopt? Surely the Kent’s would want grandchildren, although if Mr. Kent got a chance he might make that even more impossible by putting his shotgun to use! Sam shivered.

 

At least Mrs. Kent seemed to be on his side. And she had said that she’d talk to Mr. Kent. But that could mean so many things!! Was it the “I think we should let Clark and Lex see each other” to “You were right Jonathan. What are we going to do?” Lex felt foolish to even think it could be the first choice.

 

Thinking of the red-haired matron of the Kent family seemed to make her appear; suddenly she was standing in front of him with an empty muffin basket on her arm. “Are you alright Lex? You look like you have a headache.” Lex wished that his own mother was there to tend to him and the emotion behind seeing this woman acting so motherly toward him surprised Sam with its depths. Clearly Lex had a special place in his heart for her. “You are clearly a woman of many talents.”

 

“And you are shameless. You’ve already won the heart of my son; must you try for mine as well?” Martha shot back, quietly teasing even as she fished out a rather large bottle of pain killers for Lex.

 

“I have?” Lex gasped not sure he’d heard right. “What did he say? How did Mr. Kent handle it? What did you say to him?” He took the pills dry, throwing them down his throat and praying they would work immediately.

 

Martha looked at him with amusement dancing in her eyes. “Perhaps you should talk to Clark about it? He has another delivery run this afternoon. I’m pretty sure if you’re not on the list; Clark is still going to find time to swing by to see you. Jonathan and I decided that if this is going to happen, it will be kept quiet or Clark will have to move into the Penthouse with you.”

 

Lex blinked. “Mr. Kent agreed to that?”

 

“Well, no not really…but that’s what it worked out to.” Lex looked at the red-head with admiration. No wonder his father had her working for him. Lex wondered idly if she’d work for him again. But Clark first! He looked down at the watch his mother had given him and smiled. There was time to get back to the castle in plenty of time. “I imagine you want to get going.”

 

He gratefully took the exit for what it was. Soon Lex was driving out to the castle. He slowed down on the way as a low hanging object caught his eye. Blinking and driving at a snails pace he saw it was none other than Clark doing a series of flips in mid-air sans wire!! If that wasn’t enough he looked to be in a super-panic too. It only took a moment for Lex to analyze the situation for which Sam was very grateful since he was still denying what he was seeing. Yet for Lex Luthor this seemed to be an ordinary event. A bitter shot of pain surged through his veins and Sam sensed that Clark would lie to him about what was happening and that it wasn’t the first time.

 

Pulling over to the side, the scion gracefully exited the car, closed the door and walked to the other side of the road. Clark was bobbing over the corn field, looking like a cork on a wave. “Good morning Clark. Do you need some help?” The words felt bitter on Sam’s tongue and despair filled him that he’d ever jump out of this one.

 

Clark looked his way sheepishly. “I can’t get down.”

 

“Have you tried going further up, so motorists such as myself don’t see you?”  Lex’s bitterness was flaring.

 

“Please Lex, just get me down and I promise we’ll have a long talk.” Lex shrugged and crossed back over to his car. Opening the trunk he peered in. It wasn’t as if he’d ever had to look in the trunk, but he suspected it would have everything he needed in it. Well paid staff was good for that.

 

Eventually he crossed back over with some rope and bungee cords. He tossed Clark the bungee cord that he hooked onto a belt loop and tied it onto the rope. Lex simply reeled him in like an overly large flying fish. The feeling was absurd as much as it was the truth. Clark landed in the soft, fallowed earth with a puff of dust then looked into Lex’s eyes. “I’m an alien,” Clark blurted out.

 

“I never would have guessed,” Lex said dryly. Sam was starting to feel anger from Lex at never being told that before. He was surprised he wasn’t panicking. After all Clark Kent just admitted to being an alien. Why hadn’t Al and Ziggy told him that???

 

He turned back to the car to pack up and felt Clark standing behind him. When he turned the rather large young man was standing in front of him. “What do you want from me Clark?”

 

Clark looked down and said softly. “I thought you wanted me, all of me.”

 

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

 

“I-I-,” and in a puff of dust Clark vanished. Lex sighed heavily berating the existence of teen angst that had invaded his life and started to drive back home, although all purpose for that trip was gone. On his way, he let the news that Clark was an alien and not a mutant settle in to his mind.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jonathan Kent shook his head as he saw the trail of dust indicating his super alien son was speeding back to the farm, heedless of anyone seeing him. He wondered if everything was alright. But even as he thought it he knew that things were not alright. Clark only ran that fast when he was upset about something. It didn’t take much to guess Lex Luthor had upset him in some way.

 

Clark stopped several yards away in a dust cloud and walked over to his father with his head down and hands in his pockets. “Hi Dad. Sorry I was late. I’m having problems with the whole flying thing.”

 

Jonathan touched his hair sure he felt another shot of gray race through it. “What kind of problems?”

 

“I can’t get down,” Clark sighed heavily turning to stare out over the farm.

 

“Well, you’re down now. How did you get down?” Jonathan asked.

 

“Lex reeled me in like a kite. It was so embarrassing Dad!” Mr. Kent wished his wife was around to handle this. When Clark got emotional she was much better at handling it, especially when icy fear was gripping him. He knew without being told that when Martha pushed for the boys to be allowed to …date….that eventually Lex would find out Clark wasn’t exactly from around here. But not like this!

 

“So he knows?” Jonathan closed his eyes, not able to handle the answer and whatever emotional need in his son’s eyes. His heart thudded dangerously in his chest and he swallowed back the pain.

 

“He didn’t even care!” Clark wailed before zipping off for the loft in the barn. Jonathan waited until the dust died down before he opened his eyes. He casually brushed some of the dust off his shirt and wondered if he should go after his son. Realizing Martha would he trudged off to deal with their emotional alien son.

 

Jonathan knocked on the top of the wooden staircase to announce his presence despite knowing his son had super-hearing. He felt wholly inadequate to deal with the pouting young man in front of him. Clark was leaning up against the hay window that overlooked their land at another marvelous Kansas sunset. The two looked at odds with one another.

 

There was no reaction to his presence and Jonathan wondered how it could happen that his own son would be interested in another man. And of all things how it had to be Lex Luthor. Jonathan knew the Luthor’s would destroy his family and it looked like Clark was going to be taking the worst of it, again.

 

Although Jonathan had always feared for Clark’s life being taken in some horrific vivisection, not by a broken heart. The knowledge that Lex really did seem to care for Clark and the opinions of the good people of Smallville had gone a long way toward some acceptance of the situation. But that didn’t make the bitter pill any easier to swallow no matter how much smooth talk Martha subjected him to.

 

Misunderstood, isn’t that what Martha had said? If anyone could understand being misunderstood certainly Clark could. In each case, these young men could only be there for themselves in the long run. He wasn’t immortal after all and he knew that his heart problems were only getting worse. It would be good to see Clark settled. And he knew it would make Martha happy. As always thinking of life without Martha made his heart clench. Or was it doing that on its own?

 

In his sudden wave of emotions he felt more on level with Clark. He strode over and put his arm around his son. It was something he hadn’t done much of since Clark dropped the bomb on them that he was gay. Guilt crashed over him and he unconsciously clenched Clark a bit harder.

 

“Easy there Dad,” Clark chuckled. “The sunset’s not going anywhere.”

 

‘But you are’ ran through Jonathan’s mind. I’m getting old and soft. The boy had to grow up sometime. Dimly he knew the Luthor’s had won on some level. Seeing them the other day in the Luthor kitchen knowing his son and Lex Luthor were about to kiss had shattered Jonathan’s world completely. The world where somehow, someway Clark would get together with Lana in the long run and have lots of dark haired grandkids for he and Martha to play with.

 

“You have my blessing Clark.” Jonathan whispered hoarsely almost choking on the words as they came out.

 

Clark’s head whipped around to look at his father. In the setting rays of the sun, he seemed older than he’d ever seen him before. His breath stopped as his ears closed in on the odd thudding sound of his father’s heart. It sounded labored and weak. “Dad? Are you okay?”

 

“I am now,” Jonathan said before his legs gave way and he passed away quietly in his son’s arms between one moment and the next. Grief overcame Clark and the welcome mantle of darkness settled both in his heart and in the cold, crisp Kansas night.

 

Part 5: Changing the Future

 

 

It had been a week since Jonathan Kent’s funeral. Clark and his mother had pulled an old pioneer stunt, circling wagons and closing out everyone else. Lex suspected they were taking turns crying their eyes out in each other’s arms. While Jonathan Kent was never his favorite person, he understood these people loved him and had to respect that. Thus when Clark simply shook his head at Lex during the internment, Lex knew to give Clark his time.

 

He felt oddly unfocused as his thoughts drew back to Clark. He was surprised, therefore when he was told out of the blue that he had a visitor, a Miss Chloe Sullivan. The petite, perky blond stomped in to his office and Lex was very glad for the distraction the small reporter was bound to provide.

 

“Lex, we need to talk.” Lex smirked; he wished he could have placed a bet on that being her opening line. Subtly was not her forte. “It’s about Clark.”

 

Sighing inwardly, Sam wondered if anything in Lex’s life did not somehow revolve around Clark Kent. Sitting down behind the large desk in the office, Lex invited Chloe to sit. “What about Clark?”

 

“He needs you, why aren’t you over there?” Apparently Miss Sullivan was going straight for the jugular.

 

“I have reason to believe that he doesn’t want me there.”

 

Chloe huffed and Sam was alarmed to see her eyes glisten over with tears. “Do you know what Clark and his father were talking about when he had the heart attack?”

 

“No.” Although Lex thought, that wasn’t completely true. He’d heard the whispers at the funeral that Clark and Jonathan had been together when it happened. It only made him feel worse for Clark.

 

“He gave his blessings for the two of you and then ...” Chloe was definitely sniffing and pulled out a pack of travel tissues and wiped carefully at her eyes so as not to smear her makeup.

 

Sam’s heart slammed into his throat and even his gentle tendencies which would normally have him offering Chloe a handkerchief had vanished in a fog. Sam’s head was spinning, even more than the afternoon spent contemplating His Alien. “I need Al.” He said as he started to shake.

 

“Al? Is that a new servant I don’t know about?” Chloe looked around just as Al flashed into being behind her.

 

“Where have you been?” Sam demanded testily.

 

Chloe turned to look back at him nervously, unable to see Al. “Maybe I should go get someone?”

 

Sam nodded. “Yeah, maybe my sugar has gone low. Can you please get me a sandwich from the kitchen?”

 

Chloe took off, casting furtive glances over her shoulder as she left. With relief, Sam turned to Al. He decided to take a page from Chloe’s book. “Did Mr. Kent have a heart attack because of me?”

 

Al frowned and poked at some buttons on Ziggy. “I don’t think so. According to Ziggy Mr. Kent had a history of heart problems. Why is your boyfriend upset with you? I think you better go kiss and make up Sam. “Al made pucker faces to tease Sam.

 

Sam threw a pillow at Al and it landed softly behind him after it sailed easily right through the hologram. “Oh, I hit a sore spot. Look everyone thinks you should be together with Mr. All American. Are you a homophobe Sam?”

 

“You know I’m not Al. I just feel like … I don’t know the wolf fleecing the lamb! Besides his dad just died!”

 

Al looked at him and shrugged. “Well, you can stay here in this body for awhile I suppose, since you can’t get over your little man love problem. But it’s weird seeing you with no hair.”

 

Sam threw up his arms in disgust just as Chloe walked back in with a sandwich on a plate and a drink in her hand. She looked oddly at Lex and he pasted his best ‘I have no idea why you are looking at me’, face. Putting the plate and glass down she smiled nervously at Lex. “Well, either you go talk to Clark or I’ll resort to something desperate. And since I’m also very busy you’ll be better off just going to talk to him now.”

 

Somehow Sam believed her completely. He wasn’t sure if that was Lex or him, but did it really matter at this point? He’d already jumped in and out of so many people’s lives he was sure to need a massive amount of therapy when he finally jumped home. Home. At that thought, he followed her out, car keys in hand. He ran back in to grab a certain box then charged back out. The need to jump out of Lex’s life was overwhelming. Sam hadn’t asked to live this soap opera that was Lex Luthor’s life and he was ready for it to be over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Martha felt a deep sense of annoyance to see Lana Lang on her porch. Most of the county had been decent enough to give them sometime to recover from, well; she didn’t like to think of it. She still felt as though Jonathan would walk together from the fields any moment. “Lana. What brings you here?” She pushed the door open to speak to Lana but didn’t invite her inside.

 

“I didn’t get to the funeral and I wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of your loss.” Lana looked almost plastic and so far removed from the little brown eyed girl that was so innocent once, it almost hurt to look at her. Saying a soft prayer, Martha tried to speak with a clear and open heart. Martha spoke frankly, possibly for the first time, to the young woman in front of her. “Jonathan barely knew you. I don’t think I’ve ever known you. I don’t care that you weren’t there. Lana, you hurt the men in my life. First Clark and then Lex, honestly, I don’t want you to come anywhere near them again.”

 

Lana’s mouth dropped open before she could stop it and a nasty look of superiority came over her formerly pretty face. “As if I’d want to, I’m done with this town Mrs. Kent and you and your son and his weird friendship for my former husband.” Lana’s voice was icy on the word ‘friendship’.

 

Martha turned her head and looked longingly at the shotgun still mounted over the fireplace. Lana saw where she was looking and quickly departed. Martha smiled at that thinking Jonathan would have approved. She watched Lana drive away and was glad to see her go. Maybe this would be enough of a catalyst to get Clark and Lex together.

 

Just as she was turning to close the door, she spotted another cloud of dust coming up the lane. She crossed her fingers that it was Lex. Martha had honestly thought Lex would be non-stop at Clark’s side for this. Instead a barrier had sprouted up between them at the funeral that Martha had not understood.

 

Hadn’t Clark told Lex about his father’s blessing? Or was he still carrying some misplaced guilt? Martha had tried to get Clark to understand sometimes these things happened. But sometimes a mother’s words of advice went in one ear and out the other. That was more disconcerting than usual knowing that Clark had super-hearing.

 

“Clark! Lex is here!” Martha smiled at seeing it was indeed Lex. Tension rolled off of her. It was enough to deal with Jonathan’s death alone; it was a bit much to be strong for Clark when she was dealing on her own. His emotional issue regarding the millionaire was another story all together. Clark needed Lex not his mother right now. He needed someone to understand his pain. Since Lex had lost a parent too, he was more than qualified.

 

From around the other side of the barn, Clark walked over. He was covered in a good layer of farm dirt and dust. His red t-shirt clung to him with a thin layer of sweat. Martha looked at Lex wondering if she should send Clark to shower when she noticed he was practically drooling. She smiled and making a pitiful excuse about dinner left the two of them alone.

 

Clark strode over to the fence line and Lex walked over to him. “How are you doing Clark?”

 

“I miss him.” Clark said softly. Pain and grief were etched across his young face. Looking at the t-shirt that was sticking to Clark’s chest, Lex felt something in him breaking.

 

Sam rebelled against the lust-filling Luthor. They needed to talk first. Other things could be unsaid for now. After all it was going to take awhile for the whole alien thing to sink in not matter how easily Lex seemed to handle it. “I brought you something Clark. I realize this isn’t the best time, but –“Lex cut himself off and shoved a small box awkwardly at Clark. He dimly thought that he was putting his heart in the hands of an alien and almost laughed out loud at the insanity. Only he could find true love in someone from another planet! 

 

Suddenly Al appeared and was jumping up and down pointing to Ziggy. Sam got the message whatever needed to change between these two was about to happen now. Did the original Lex not give Clark the ring? He closed his eyes ready to jump one step closer to home, but much to his annoyance it wasn’t happening. Al was frowning and chewing on a cigar end while pushing buttons furiously to get answers out of Ziggy.

 

But by now, Sam could feel the jump would soon happen. He just hoped he did the right thing next. What is the proper courting ritual for a gay, alien, son of a farmer who was several years your junior? Clark opened the small box, his hands seeming incredibly large in comparison. He stopped still, so still in fact that Lex wondered if he was still breathing. “Clark?”

 

After a desperate moment, Clark sucked in a great mouthful of air. “Lex we’ve had enough misunderstandings between us. I don’t want to get this wrong. What are you trying to say here?”

 

“These are commitment rings Clark. I want you to be with me alone. I’m very possessive that way.” Lex plucked out the one for Clark and let him read the inscription. As Clark turned to stone with shock, Lex managed to shove the ring on Clark’s hand. It seemed to wake Clark up. He robotically held up his hand so the ring would catch on the light and he stared at it, still silent.

 

“I hope you like them.” Lex felt as if he was babbling along like an idiot and hoped Clark would just say something! “Of course, I made sure not to use any of that red rock you seem to have a problem with.” Clark smiled. Lex felt himself harden, despite not being sure what the red rock crack was about. It was taking all his concentration to breathe in and out when Clark looked at him like that.

 

“Clark?” Lex hoped his voice didn’t just squeak.

 

“How do you feel about me?” Clark asked with a blinding smile. “Do you love me more than Lana? Am I just some ‘bad bounce’ thing?”

 

“Yes, but I could ask you the same thing Clark. And I think you know I’ve cared about you longer than I ever cared about her, so the bad bounce idea is moot.”

 

“You are asking an alien to commit to you. This could potentially be hazardous to your health.” Clark pointed out. “I can’t be sure what might happen next.”

 

Lex felt suddenly exposed being outside talking to Clark like this. “I don’t want to do this by halves. I’m a mutant myself and able to heal rapidly. Maybe this is why I have that ability.” He tried not to think of how odd it was to reel Clark in that day he let his secret slip.

 

“Maybe,” Clark conceded. “Only one way to find out,” Clark looked at Lex beneath a fringe of black eyelashes any woman would envy. Ice water suddenly splashed over Lex’s veins. He was panic stricken, Sam realized with fear. Sam shoved Lex awkwardly toward Clark who smiled, spun them with a burst of super speed then pinned Lex to the fence.

 

Lex realized he was about to leap away in a last bout of panic. He was about to knowingly embark on a relationship with an alien. There was so little he knew about Clark but at least Clark had started to be honest with him, even if it had taken a Clark-kite session to do it. “Would you ever have told me you were an alien without being backed into it?”

 

“Probably not,” Clark sighed heavily looking away. Sam saw that Al was jumping up and down again pointing to Ziggy.

 

It was all down to Sam now. He tried to ignore the incredible pressure. “It doesn’t matter. We’ll have a long time to figure it out.”

 

“We will?” Clark looked back at him, the smile in full force and hope was making his eyes sparkle.

 

Lex was lost. He couldn’t form an answer. Gulping Sam and Lex leaned forward as one. Lex’s lips found home in a Kansas grown, gay alien farm boy. He clutched at Clark’s shoulders tightly finding it intoxicating not to have to worry about causing pain. Clark seemed turned on by it and pressed Lex to his chest. “I love you Lex,” Clark whispered before plunging his tongue into Lex’s mouth. Sam felt the searing heat run rampant through his veins. He was about to swear off women forever when he gasped and leapt into another life.

 

“Hey, you okay?” Clark peered nervously at Lex who was shaking his head as if to clear it.

 

“Were you just kissing me?” Lex asked with concern. Was all that had happened lately some weird dream? Was he having a tumor? Or was he just snapping out of some fugue? Clark’s arms were wrapped tightly around his waist and one hand had slipped to cup his ass. Lex felt deliciously dirty watching Clark blush even as he ground his erection into his own.

 

“A dream come true,” Clark whispered. It was more than a promise to Lex. Despite the promises and lies, Lex knew that it would be alright. It was a leap of faith, one he’d never regret.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
Please review! 

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=994.