Intervention by Keikokin (PG)
 Lex has an intervention of a different sort.

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters: None
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff, OOC
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 2951 - Hits: 3489
Complete?: Yes - Published: 13/12/07 - Last Updated: 13/12/07

1. Chapter 1 by Keikokin



Chapter 1 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:

Warnings: some bad language, fluff

Pairing: Clex, written for Wave 19

Disclaimer: Smallville is owned by the WB and the CW. The Superman universe is owned by DC Comics. No maliciousness is intended toward either the creators or the actors and actresses who portray the characters in the television show “Smallville”.

The entire Kent Clan, Sullivan Family, Pete Ross and of all people, Lionel Luthor were in total agreement. Although Lionel had certain reservations about how it had all come about. And certainly Jonathan was not happy to be agreeing with Lex, but didn’t have much of a choice.

 

The fact of the matter was that Lex Luthor had become one scary young man.

 

It was Clark who had first suspected what was going on. His best friend had become tired, edgy, cranky and would snap at anyone who came near him. Some might say that this was normal for Lex. But when his staff started to flee the castle in droves, even Lionel knew something was amiss.

 

Lionel had in turn politely asked his assistant, Martha Kent, if the boys had recently had a little fight. This he had done over a simple cup of coffee one morning, before they were to go to the office together. Jonathan had a few, not so polite words, for the rude young man that Lex had become. When Lionel asked Clark if it were true, even the best friend of his son had to admit, that yes, it was true.

 

As was the way in Smallville, Chloe Sullivan arrived unexpectedly on the front porch with Pete Ross. Seeing an opportunity to ask two others who had contact with Lex, if they knew what was going on he saw the youngsters exchange apprehensive looks. After some gentle coaxing from Martha, they both confessed to being half-afraid of what Lex would do next. Apparently Lex had broken Chloe’s camera and almost got into a fist fight with Pete at an intersection. It had gone so far, that Gabe Sullivan, Chloe’s father, had to confront Lex at work. That had ended in Mr. Sullivan being sent home early for the day and having his pay docked.

 

Crossing his arms firmly, Clark looked away from the television and said. “I know just what to do.”

 

LATER THAT DAY…

 

“God damn it! Who the hell do they think they are!?” Lex raged, tossing his briefcase across the room of his office in the castle. The black metal attaché case skittered across the floor before slamming into the far wall sending papers flying every which way.

 

He was so distracted he failed to notice anyone coming into the room until he heard the door close and lock behind him. Swinging around quickly, he glared at the odd ensemble before him. His eyes automatically sought out the familiar face of his father.

 

“Dad, if you are here because you think for one moment that I am going to let you get the Henderson merger then you are sadly mistaken!” Lex sneered irritably.

 

“Actually son, I’m here because I’m worried about you. We all are,” Lionel said waving his arm toward the rest of the assembled.

 

“HA! You all WANT something! Well, wait in line!” Lex stormed toward his desk but before he could reach it Clark grabbed his arm.

 

“Please Lex, he’s telling the truth. We’re here for an intervention.” Clark pleaded his eyes going out to the man in front of him, hoping to see something of the old Lex but seeing only a wall instead.

 

Lex wrenched his arm away. “Newsflash for all of you, an intervention is when you have someone hooked on drugs!” Mumbling under his breath about how he was surrounded by idiots he yelled. “Go home and leave me alone!”

 

“Lex, this isn’t a drug intervention.” Gabe Sullivan said stepping forward with one arm around Chloe who was shrinking into his side for comfort.

 

“It’s a vacation-vention,” Clark smiled hopefully.

 

“Vacation what?” Lex rolled his eyes. “Oh for crying out loud. Are you so stupid Clark that you just make up words as you go along? You’ll be a farmer forever!”

 

“Now, just one minute here!” Jonathan stepped forward placing one arm around Clark who had just stepped back like he’d been slapped. “Don’t you dare talk to my son that way!”

 

“Jonathan, please, that isn’t helping. Lex, sweetheart, we just think you should take a little vacation that’s all.” Martha started out.

 

“You haven’t had a vacation for over eight years Lex!” Lionel swarmed forward. “That’s too much for any man!”

 

“I spent half of that high on drugs. It was enough of a vacation. Now I’ve heard you all make your stupid little suggestion. But I know the real story. My father has paid you all off in some way, shape or form so he can land the Henderson deal.” Lex snarled at them all as if daring them to argue.

 

“Man, this is so screwed up.” Pete Ross stepped forward from where he’d been leaning against the wall. “Take a look around you Mr. Hot Shot. Do you think we’d all be here like this if your dad had paid us off? I for one am never going to ever take any money from a Luthor. Man, I am so out of here,” Pete turned and stopped only when Clark put a hand on his back.

 

“Wait Pete. This will take all of us.” Clark looked back to Lex. “You want it in your own terms Lex? Fine. Either you go on a vacation or ….or…”

 

“I’ll freeze all your assets.” Lionel finished.

 

“And I’ll make up a story for the union at the plant to get them all fired up.” Gabe put in.

 

“Don’t expect any fresh food from anyone in town. By the time I’m done no one will even sell you a bottle of water,” Jonathan snapped.

 

“- Or we’ll stop being friends,” Clark suddenly finished out of the blue.

 

All eyes in the room turned to look at him in differing amounts of shock and surprise.

 

Lex stopped in his tracks. “Clark?”

 

Clark looked at Lex then down at the ground. “I can’t stand you acting like this Lex. It’s for your own good. You need a vacation.”

 

“I need to speak to Clark alone. You can wait out in the hall if you like.” Lex’s voice had changed and the vitriol was clearly missing. Feeling hopeful, the others gladly moved out into the hall. Lex’s eyes never once left Clarks. But he didn’t speak again until everyone had left.

 

“Have I been that bad?” Lex walked over to Clark to stand in front of him. He placed a hand on Clark’s shoulder. He winced as he thought that he hadn’t touched Clark like that for a long time. Was everyone right?

 

“We used to hang out together Lex. Remember? Just watching movies and eating pizza.” Clark reminded him and Lex felt like a heel.

 

“Shit Clark, I guess I have been …acting a bit –“Lex rubbed the back of his head with one hand.

 

“Yeah,” Clark finished with a grin. “And you know you can go anywhere you want. We just wanted you to go on vacation and take some time off.”

 

“Only if you’re coming with me,” Lex folded his arms over his chest looking smug.

 

“What?” Clark blinked watching as Lex moved to open the door. “Me?”

 

“I’m sorry everyone. I suppose I’ll have to start to scheduling in yearly vacations.” Lex told all those present as they returned to the room.

 

“That’s a very good idea son,” Lionel smiled with relief.

 

“I really overstepped my boundaries Mr. and Mrs. Kent and I deeply regret –“

 

Martha smiled first, followed reluctantly by Jonathan after a nudge to the ribs. “Don’t worry about it son. We all understand that you’re under a lot of stress.” Jonathan shot a look at Lionel.

 

Lionel exhaled heavily. “There is nothing wrong with wanting to excel. Lex simply took it to the extreme. It happens to most businessmen at one time or another.”

 

“Do you think you’ll actually be able to stop working for a vacation?” Gabe asked skeptically. “You take your laptop everywhere. I’ve never known anyone that micromanages like you do Lex.”

 

Lionel held back chuckle at that, covering his mouth at last moment. But Chloe did laugh. “Dad, there’s no way that Lex can stop working. He’ll need a keeper. Clark you’ll have to go with him.” Chloe winked at Clark who was now looking at his parents.

 

“Actually I did in fact already invite him,” Lex said quickly seeing the argument dying on Martha Kents face. “I’m sure it would be an educational trip.”

 

Jonathan frowned. Pete snorted. “Yeah I bet it would.”

 

“What are you implying?” Lionel looked questioningly at Ross with clear disdain in his face.

 

Chloe threw Pete a dirty look. But Gabe put in. “Where were you thinking of going Lex?”

 

“Italy,” Lex said without hesitation.

 

Lionel had to smile at that, “Your mother’s favorite country.”

 

“Is that true?” Martha asked with a soft sentimental sigh. Clark grinned. If his mom got that romance look in her eye, his dad was doomed. Looking at his dad he could see the man was already caving under the pressure. His mom was looking at his dad with stars in her eyes. “Oh Jonathan, isn’t that sweet?”

 

Clark grinned at Lex. “I’d like to go but I really can’t afford to –“

 

“Considering how many times you’ve saved my son’s life this is the least we could do,” Lionel put in. “After all you’ll be spending your vacation trying to keep my son from his laptop. Good luck on that. Oh and Lex, the Henderson merger went through right before I got here and your appointment calendar has been cleared.”

 

Lex wanted to seethe but knew it was pointless. “Well Clark, ready to go to Italy?”

  

Clark was up in the loft of the barn, his ‘fortress of solitude’, working hard at his homework. Lex wanted to leave soon and Clark needed to get some assignments done early in order to go. He dimly registered the sound of a car pulling up since he was finishing up the last of his term paper.

 

“Clark,” Lex announced himself as he entered. “I brought you something.” With an easy flick of his hand he tossed down a colorful brochure onto the desk in front of Clark.

 

“Wow!” Clark grabbed up the brochure and eagerly began to read it.

 Experience the jewel that is Italy's Amalfi Coast — one of Europe's most spectacular coastlines — as we spend a fun-filled week with a true insider's perspective. Local families of the area (including a renowned professional chef) invite us in for cooking sessions, and we also enjoy some easy-going (optional) walks to tucked-away, untrampled points of interest in the dramatic mountains offering stunning views along the coast. Of course, we’ll have to make stops at some of the Amalfi Coast’s most delightful villages — Ravello, Amalfi, Positano. But we’ve also incorporated some lesser-known sights that most visitors will never see. A very special visit to long-famous Capri is also featured where we enjoy the island’s delights in a unique way. 

Clark frowned. “I’ve never heard of any of these places. Aren’t we going to Rome or something?”

 

“Well we could do a stop off there if you really want to. But it’s nothing but a tourist trap anymore. This is a private cruise. But we can land in Rome first and then go meet up with the ship if you like?” Lex shrugged.

 

“You already seem less tense,” Clark noted.

 

“I hate to admit it, but I am looking forward to getting away. It wasn’t until your little intervention that I realized what the job was doing to me. I would have had a heart attack before I took over Luthor Corp.” Lex admitted. “Oh by the way, I brought you this catalog as well.” He tossed down the American Eagle Outfitters book. “You’ll need some clothing for the trip. Flannel and work boots won’t work for this one. Even your mom agreed. And you can use one of my old suitcases. I’d buy you a new one but I thought that might put your father over the edge.”

 

“By the way, speaking of your father, he almost seems anxious for us to leave.” It was a question Clark could tell.

 

“They want to be alone,” Clark grimaced. “They’ve been all over each other.” Lex laughed and they spent the rest of the afternoon ordering travel clothes for Clark. It would arrive the next day by express shipment. The day after that Clark would go for his passport. Lex had to pull some serious strings to get it as fast as they were, not that he’d admit that to the Kent’s. And on Friday they would leave.

 

Clark was getting more excited and so was Lex, but seeing the look on his friends face had him laughing inside. “Well they haven’t had a lot of time alone since you came on the scene.”

 

“But Lex! They’re my PARENTS!” Clark stuck out his tongue and Lex lost it and did laugh. As the laughter died down, he once again was very grateful that it was Clark who was going with him on the trip. Maybe he could drop a few, not-so-subtle hints Clark’s way on the trip and see if Clark was interested. It was soon time to go, but Lex promised to return to take Clark for his passport. After all Lex had some strings to pull first.

  

Before they knew it the bags were packed and they were waving goodbye to the Kent’s out the windows of the airport limo. Clark practically bounced in his seat the entire way to the airport and impressed Lex with the small snippets of Italian he’d managed to learn. Although Lex knew it would be impossible for a normal person to learn that fast, he let it slide. It was part of their unspoken agreement. Clark would let things show and as long as Lex didn’t ask or point it out, Clark would show a bit more of himself. It wasn’t perfect between them in that regard, but it was improving. In return Lex spoke a bit about some of the dealings at the company he wasn’t so sure were above board in Clark’s book. It was nice for both of them to be so open.

 

After the long plane trip, they were picked up at the airport and driven to the coast. Clark frowned when they drove up. “I thought we’d be staying at a hotel?”

 

“I secured a villa for the trip. That way we can have some privacy,” Lex smiled at Clark and Clark felt a blush start at his toes just from the way Lex was looking at him.

 

Smirking, Lex walked into the villa, pointed to where he wanted their bags put before dismissing their driver. He joined Clark out on the terrace. Clark’s mouth was hanging open as he gazed over the perfectly blue waters, the white coast line and the flowers that seemingly ran down to meet the sea. “Still think we should have stayed at a hotel?”

 

“Oh Lex, it’s incredible.” The awe in Clark’s voice made Lex quite glad he’d picked this spot.

 

“The view is pretty good from where I’m standing too,” Lex grinned.

 

Clark turned around and looked at him with wonder. “Are you flirting with me?”

 

“So what if I am?” Lex asked, turning away to look over the water.

 

“Then I accept. Or whatever you do in a case like this,” Clark put a hand over Lex’s and looked out over the terrace as well.

 

With a smirk, Lex reached over and pinched Clark’s butt only to find that it gave buns of steel new meaning. When Clark looked at him askance Lex said, “When in Italy …”

 

Clark looked out over the water again. “Can we spend the whole trip here?”

 

“No, sorry but I’ve made arrangements to spend time in the local towns and of course see some of the tourist spots like Pompeii. And of course we have to spend a day on the island of Capri. This however, will be our residence during our stay, unless we decide differently.” Lex informed him. “Well, we better unpack. I want to make the most of the daylight hours. Our internal clocks are thrown off enough that we’ll be up half the night anyway.”

 

“Today we’ll head inland but stay along the coast. There’s some incredible views to be had. Tomorrow we’ll sleep in then head out to Capri. After that I want to visit Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Pompeii.” Lex sounded commanding but Clark noticed that the edge that had been there was already easing off.

 

Clark pulled Lex into his arms. But Lex squirmed away and headed inside before allowing the tentative embrace to happen. “Italy can be conservative at times. You looked like you were going to make an announcement.”

 

“I guess I just wanted to know, why you didn’t let me know before how you felt?” Clark asked curiously.

 

“I could ask you the same thing.” Lex pointed out.

 

“Well, I guess this is the perfect spot.” Clark commented, his eyes wandering back out to the sea once more.

 

“It is now,” Lex said honestly before closing the gap between them for their first kiss, making a mental note to buy the property for future use.

    
End Notes:
please review

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=984.