Your Fellow Man by Keikokin (PG-13)
It's been ten years since Draco has seen Harry. Is fate bringing them together or saving Draco? Or both?

Categories: Harry/Draco
Characters: None
Genres: First Time, General, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Fluff, OOC
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21
Word count: 25013 - Hits: 264536
Complete?: Yes - Published: 02/10/07 - Last Updated: 02/10/07

1. Chapter 1 by Keikokin

2. Chapter 2 by Keikokin

3. Chapter 3 by Keikokin

4. Chapter 4 by Keikokin

5. Chapter 5 by Keikokin

6. Chapter 6 by Keikokin

7. Chapter 7 by Keikokin

8. Chapter 8 by Keikokin

9. Chapter 9 by Keikokin

10. Chapter 10 by Keikokin

11. Chapter 11 by Keikokin

12. Chapter 12 by Keikokin

13. Chapter 13 by Keikokin

14. Chapter 14 by Keikokin

15. Chapter 15 by Keikokin

16. Chapter 16 by Keikokin

17. Chapter 17 by Keikokin

18. Chapter 18 by Keikokin

18. Chapter 19 by Keikokin

20. Chapter 20 by Keikokin

21. Chapter 21 by Keikokin



Chapter 1 by Keikokin

Chapter 1 – For love of your fellow man

It had been ten years, but even just having a view of his back; Draco Malfoy knew exactly who was standing in his father's study. His presence was noted by his father who gestured to him to enter. Their guest rose to his feet and turned.

His eyes were greener then he remembered and the locks of hair were softer and tamed. But it was without a doubt, Harry Potter. The question of the hour was why was he here? Draco nodded in Potter’s direction but his eyes met that of his father's across the large mahogany desk that was the focal point of the room in the West Wing of the manor.

The war was long over. Voldemort was dead and neither side had been the clear cut winner. Too many losses on each side saw to that. The government fell apart and war heroes were put in high positions. Working as a spy for the light had made his father one of the favored few. Having already held a spot in the Ministry as a school governor, he was elevated to Vice Minister. His election was expected to be a sure thing when the current aged Scrimgeour stepped down due to the curse that was currently robbing him of any youth he had left; a dark curse courtesy of Voldemort reaching out from beyond the grave.

The clearing of his father's throat brought his attention back to the present. Did Potter want a position in his father's cabinet, or some political favor? "Father, you sent for me?"

Draco silently bristled at being fetched like some day old copy of the Prophet in front of Potter. Yet he was raised never to show his irritation. At 28, his father still ruled his life and it annoyed him. He hoped that as Minister, Lucius Malfoy would finally be too busy to notice if Draco found a life of his own besides trying to emulate his father. It had been tiresome at 16, now it was grating.

Lucius smirked as if he could sense the irritation in his son. "I believe you remember Mr. Potter from your school days."

"Yes of course," Draco neither turned nor flicked his eyes toward their guest.

"It would appear the two of you have something in common…the love of your fellow man." Out of the corner of his eye he saw Potter flinch at the tone of voice used.

Draco held back a sigh by biting the inside of his cheek. His father never tired of being able to give him digs in regards to his sexual orientation and failure to provide the Malfoy family line with a suitable heir. It would seem the Potter line would die as well. He waited for the other shoe to drop, knowing his father was hoping to bait him. After a suitable pause Lucius continued.

"Mr. Potter is hoping to convince me that if I should I become Minister I should allow same sex unions." Lucius laughed.

Oddly enough, Potter came to stand beside him and Draco could feel the magic flowing off the powerful wizard, making his hair bristle on the back of his neck.

"I can see this has been a waste of time," Potter snapped. "Good day, Mr. Malfoy." With a sharp turn on his heel, Potter swept from the room, his dragon-hide cloak snapping behind him. Draco turned and closed the door on his father's laughter behind him.

Draco lengthened his strides and quickly caught up with Potter before he reached the main Apparition point in the foyer. Reaching out he grabbed Potter's elbow and then spun him around.

"Let go," Harry said in a clipped tone full of power and annoyance.

"I think we can help each other." Draco nearly whispered. For if the walls of Hogwarts had ears, the Malfoy ancestral home had generations of them. "Hogwarts Memorial Gardens in, say, ten minutes?"

"No," Harry replied in a pained voice. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small statue of a dragon. "…A port key to my house."

Draco nodded taking the statue from Harry's gloved hands. He noticed they too were dragon hide before Harry vanished with a powerful crack of power. After several side apparitions to throw off anyone his father might have following him, Draco finally used the dragon and appeared in the high brow wizarding section of Wales. In fact it seemed the castle was on its own island.

It was good to see that Harry was a man of some means. It could prove to be…handy.

He opened the sheltered gate at the end of a bridge and stood before the entranceway. Close up the castle looked more like a bricked home. Obviously Potter was using an illusion spell to keep away those who would be frightened by such an imposing structure.

White curtains fluttered in the spring breeze from the second story. Draco walked to the front door, admiring the manicured gardens where fairies danced about before knocking. Fountains flanked the entrance and Draco felt a sense of ease he'd not felt in –

"Well, come inside," Potter had flung open the door and turned all in one motion.

Draco followed closing the door behind him. The inside of the home was light and open. Chimes played in the spring breeze that the open windows afforded them. Draco did not lie when he openly admitted, "This is a beautiful home, Potter."

Stopping abruptly, Harry turned and looked at him as if assessing if he was telling a lie or not. Seeing only the truth he nodded. "Thank you."

A few steps more and they reached a kitchen that seemed to span the entire back width of the house before overlooking a pool and patio. "What would you like to drink?"

"Coffee would be fine," Draco replied taking in the modern kitchen warmed by yellow oak cabinetry.

"It isn't often I entertain anymore. Not since –" Harry broke off and his shoulders slumped. Draco took a hesitant step forward, unsure of what to do. Harry shook his head. "How about sitting out on the back patio?"

"Do you need any help?" Draco asked wondering what to do with himself.

"No," Harry gestured to the outdoor patio where Draco noticed a tea set had appeared, though it was much more casual than the silver one used at the Manor.

They sat opposite each other at the round café table admiring the view of the pool framed by flower beds of lavender and heather. Unable to stand the heavy silence between them Draco turned and asked the question that had been weighing on his mind. "Who was he?"

Pained green eyes met his then quickly looked away. "How did you know?"

"I lost Blaise in the war. We were lovers but never in love, at least not from my end, though I did care for him deeply. I suppose I notice the similarities. Was it Charlie Weasley?" Draco asked the last very softly. Harry nodded staring into his coffee. "What gave it away?"

"…The dragon-hide cloak and gloves. The manufacturing of both is highly restricted unless you work with them and can provide documentation of the skin being shed."

There was a long pause before Harry sat down his cup. "We wanted to be married. But he died and –" Harry's voice broke off.

Draco suddenly felt like an intruder. "If it’s a bad time-"

Harry gave a feeble laugh. "Sorry, I'm just so used to being alone." He seemed to collect himself before looking at Draco. "Why did you want to talk to me?"


Chapter 2 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
many thanks to the following: Nefernat, will1214r, mistress fatale for beta, polishing and test reading.
Chapter 2 – An alliance

"I'm sure you recall during our school years that I idolized my father." Draco sighed wishing he could change all that wasted time.

"I take it that has changed," Harry commented.

"To put it mildly," Draco snickered. "I despise the man. And to be blunt, I believe he is the worst possible candidate for Minister of Magic."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "I suppose you want me to back you?"

Draco shivered. "Merlin no! I do however think it's high time that you ran for office."

"No," Harry said very quickly. "I want to be left alone."

"That much is obvious." Draco snorted.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Harry snapped.

"You live on your own private island, in a house that has been charmed to look as imposing as possible. I bet you haven't had a lover since… "

Harry jumped to his feet and Draco found himself at the business end of the most feared wand in all of the Wizarding World, Harry's. Draco was even more concerned by the fact that Harry's wand arm was shaking… violently. He measured his next words very carefully. "You must have loved him very much."

It worked. The wind was gone from Harry's sails and he slumped back into his chair. Putting his head forward to rest it on his elbows, "See what a mess I am? And you want me to run for Minister? Are you insane?"

"What would he want you to do?" Draco asked softly. When Harry didn’t answer, Draco sensed his time had ended and quietly let himself out, with the portkey still in his pocket.

But he didn't stay away long. And this time he brought along reinforcements.

Harry opened up the door to find both Malfoy and Snape on his doorstep. He failed to keep the shock from his face. "Oh great. I suppose you are going to pester me to death, aren't you?"

Draco smirked. "I thought it was one of my more endearing qualities."

Both Snape and Harry rolled their eyes. Snape stepped forward brushing by Harry as if he owned the country estate. "I'll take mine black."

Draco swept by him as well enlarging the small café table on the back patio to comfortably accommodate five. Harry looked at it when he emerged with a tray of mugs. "Are we expecting more company?"

"Maybe," Draco answered enigmatically.

Snape was looking around. "Still throwing a pity party for one I see."

"Shut up," Potter snapped slamming down the tray. "You have no idea –"

"Don’t I? Or have you forgotten Remus so soon?" Snape's voice cracked.

Harry sank to his seat. No, he hadn't forgotten Moony or anyone else. That much was easily visible on his pained features. Draco cleared his throat. "The point being Potter, you aren't helping anyone out here and the Wizarding world still needs you."

"You may not have realized it but Remus and I had also planned on being bonded after the war. We had foolishly hoped that a Minister who looked to make his public happy would be appointed. Then –"

Draco was surprised to see Harry's hand reach out to briefly touch Severus'. Their fingers entwined for a moment before letting go. "I'm sorry that I didn't come by-" Harry began but Severus put up a hand to stop him.

"That hardly matters now. The true problem at hand is that Lucius Malfoy is sure to win the position of Minister of Magic if we don't stop him. And I know for a fact he wants all same sex couples to be registered and have their names printed in the papers as if we were a scourge on the populace!"

Harry's face fell, "But why?"

"The humiliation of course, my father means to make homosexuality a blight upon our people," Draco growled.

Snape put a hand on Draco's shoulder. "Enabling him, and others, to disown family members and create a slave populace."

"But why? Wizards already have house elves-" Harry protested.

"That would be my fault," came a voice from the direction of the kitchen, "and that stupid SPEW campaign. Who'd have ever have thought it would have such a far reaching effect as to free them all?"

Harry stood up and looking incredulous and shaky, "Hermione?"

She stood at the patio entrance looking tired and very pregnant. "Harry." She put out her arms and hugged Harry to her as best as she could. "I'm so sorry that-"

"Ron won't allow you to come over will he? They all blame me don't they?" Harry was trembling. Draco surprised himself when he found he'd risen to his feet to help Harry sit down.

Snape and Hermione were giving each other a cursory nod of greeting. Harry wrapped both of his hands around Hermione's smaller one. "I can't believe it's really you."

She leaned over to kiss Harry on the cheek. "We all miss Charlie, Harry. But he wouldn't have wanted you to live like this. You two had so many plans and didn't he want you to be Minister too?"

Harry exhaled sharply and shook his head, "Et tu?"

"As much as I dread Lucius becoming Minister I see your candidacy as the only viable option," Snape added. "With Draco's money, Mrs. Weasley's gift for research and my own skills in the background it would be an easy victory."

"How can I when Charlie's own family can't forgive me?" Harry whispered.

"Oh Harry, its not that they can't forgive you…It's just that they are mourning too. And when the Weasley's mourn it’s a circling of the wagons." Hermione explained.

"It's what?" Draco leaned forward curiously. Snape put out an arm to hold him back shaking his head in disapproval.

Harry raised both hands to his face and rubbed them briskly over it. When he lowered them, he'd seem to have collected himself once more. Inclining his head to the one empty chair he gave Malfoy a stern glance. "Okay, who is the next to show up?"

"I thought it best to have one extra," Draco shrugged. Hermione smiled at this news and put her feet up on the chair between her and Snape. Severus pretended not to notice. "So what's it going to be, Potter?"

"I need to think on it Malfoy," Harry said in a stubborn tone of voice.

Draco was about to protest when Snape rose to his feet, gave Potter a slight nod of the head, grabbed his arm and hauled him up…no mean feat, since Draco was a grown man who now equaled him in height. But Draco took the hint. Severus wanted to talk and thought it best to let the Gryffindors discuss things for a bit.

"See you tomorrow Potter," Draco promised. To his surprise Harry didn't look that upset.

Chapter 3 by Keikokin
Chapter 3 – Draco and Blaise, Snape's revealing truth

Draco was correct in his assumptions. No sooner than they arrived at Snape's house then Severus began to pace back and forth. This was something only a privileged few ever saw, Severus lowering his emotional guards. Draco poured himself a scotch while he waited for the man to settle down. In the meantime, he made himself at home in his favorite leather wingback chair.

Snape's glare soon focused on him and Draco put his glass down. "Let's have it then."

"Have you given any thought at all to what your father will do to you and I when he finds out we've gone behind his back like this?" Snape looked concerned, his right hand going automatically to rub at the mark that lay under his robes on his opposite arm.

"He'll disown me. But I've made provisions and several bolt holes. I assure you I can provide for you as well if we need to go underground. But I'm surprised that you haven't made such escape plans for yourself," Draco explained.

"Don’t be daft, of course I have. Yet, there is safety in numbers. Tell me Draco, do you have a contingency plan if Potter fails to listen to reason?" Snape's eyes pinned him to the chair.

"Yes. It’s called ‘run and don't look back’." Draco rose his glass in a mock toast and took a deep swallow.

Snape smirked. "I'm surprised at you Draco."

"Oh, not you too! Look, I get enough of this read between the lines bullshit with my father. Can you just cut to the chase Severus?" Draco pinched the bridge of his nose to stave off a headache.

"Potter is vulnerable." Snape folded his arms over his chest.

"No kidding. We'll be lucky if he can take the pressure of office," Draco said sarcastically.

Snape took a few steps and batted him sharply across the head. "Being out of Slytherin has dulled your wits… either that or soft living. Think boy!"

Draco frowned in resentment at being called 'boy' and the insult to his pride. He blinked. "Oh no, you can't possibly be serious-"

"Oh, but I am Draco. All those years of fighting between the two of you at Hogwarts… didn't it ever occur to you that perhaps Potter fancied you?" Snape smirked.

"Everyone fancied me, how could they not?" Draco chuckled. "But honestly Severus I think you've gone round the bend on this one. I am not going after Potter."

"Fine, I imagine your father will set his sights on Potter once he realizes what he's up to. What do you think he'll stop at to get Potter by his side and in his bed?"

"That's disgusting," Draco sneered.

"How many of your female conquests did he sleep with to prove to you he was still superior to you? Didn't he try to have a go at Blaise? Hmm?" Severus pointed out.

Draco shivered at the memory.

"Blaise? Baby, are you home?" Draco fairly bounded through the small flat in Hogsmeade. He'd been gone a week in Brazil and missed his lover. Hearing a whimper in the back of the flat he called out again. "Blaise? It's Draco where are you?"

"Draco?"

The tone of voice made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He took out his wand and ran to the back room.

Furniture lay in ruins, books were everywhere and in the corner, Blaise sat shivering with fear his wand pointed at Draco.

"Baby?" He took a step forward and Blaise looked at him hopefully. Draco's stomach rolled. He'd seen the look before on countless faces, all female. But it appeared his father's perversity for homosexuals had been conquered by his need to control his son.

It was the long hair that always confused them. He truly looked like his father.

"Draco, is it really you?"

"Blaise Baby," Draco whispered and knelt before Blaise. It was then Blaise flung himself at Draco shaking in his arms.

"He tried to…to…"

Relief made Draco sway. Blaise had managed to fight him off. Thank Merlin! Draco wrapped his arms around Blaise tightly and swore revenge.

He was killed two weeks later on the field of battle. Draco kissed him goodbye.

Draco rose to his feet shaky from the memories which assailed his senses. He refilled the crystal tumbler with the amber fluid. "I can't."

"Tell me Draco, did Blaise ever tell you what he was seeing me about the day before the war?" Snape asked quietly.

Draco frowned remembering that Blaise was very excited about something and had left their love nest early in the evening. He said he had to go see Severus, but refused to explain it. "No," Draco held the tumbler tightly refusing to turn around.

"He thought perhaps with a pregnancy potion you'd conceive and –"

"FUCK!" Draco spun and threw the glass into the empty fire grate where it shattered. "Don't even-"

"You know it to be true yourself. Blaise was pregnant with your child when he died fighting at your side. He told me that evening that he planned to convince you to run away to the muggle world. Blaise felt that it was only the law that kept you apart and that a child would make you love him."

"SHUT UP!" Draco sagged to his knees. "YOU LIE!"

"I'm not. And I saw one other young man that night. He too wanted to conceive a child with his lover. Despite what your father has ordered you to do, I know how desperately you want your own child Draco, if for no other reason but to prove to the world that you are not like Lucius!" Snape pulled him to his feet and shook him hard.

"Blaise was desperate to save your child. He cast a spell on Potter that I recognized the second he walked into my classroom –"

"No! He wouldn't! That's illegal!" Draco tried to shake Snape off.

"Nevertheless, he too was a son of a Death Eater. He knew the Dark Arts just as well as you did. Blaise cast the spell on Potter to ensure that if he and the baby died part of it could live on in the first born of Potter. If Potter has a child it will be partly yours!"

Chapter 4 by Keikokin
Chapter 4 – Draco's dreams and revelations


Draco barely slept that night. He tossed and turned in fits. His body was drenched in sweat as he saw his lover fall to the ground cursed from this plane by his father's right hand man who was still loyal to Voldemort. Draco himself had always had doubts as to where Lucius' true allegiance lay. Draco had made sure his lover's killer died next, but it didn't stop the scene from replaying over and over.

"I need to tell you …"

"Shhh, Blaise baby save your strength."

"I'll live on, we both will."

"Of course baby," Draco leaned over and kissed Blaise for the last time. When he pulled away Blaise was gone.

He dispatched his lover's killer quickly. Then he looked up to see Potter cast the Killing Curse on Voldemort, just as Voldemort cast the same Curse on Potter. Charlie Weasley intercepted the curse diving down on one of his dragons like some knight of old. The curse bounced off the Dragon's scales and rebounded into Charlie. As Charlie Weasley fell to the ground Potter had screamed the most gut wrenching cry Draco had ever heard before or since, and it was echoed by the scream of the Dragon, who upon losing its master crumpled beside him and breathed its last.

Draco woke gasping for air several times that night. Each time he managed to calm himself to sleep only to wake up shortly after from the same dream. Only it was not just a dream, it was a memory, one he had blocked for a long time.

When he arrived on Potter's doorstep the next day Potter frowned. "You look like shit."

"Thanks, where's the coffee?" Draco grumbled walking straight out to the back patio past Potter.

"Good morning to you too, Sunshine," Harry snapped grabbing two cups of coffee and forgoing the usual tray. When he slammed the cup down in front of Draco, some of it sloshed over the side. "I hope you don't expect me to be talked into this fool's errand by your winning personality today."

Draco looked up at Potter, a scathing reply on the edge of his tongue then remembered Snape's words.

"If Potter has a child it will be partly yours!"

"Sorry Potter, bad dreams," Draco muttered before taking a sip of coffee.

"Oh," Harry said in response, yet the one word was heavy with understanding. There were a few minutes of silence but it wasn't awkward oddly enough. "I'm sorry about Blaise," Harry finally whispered.

"He really loved me," Draco's voice cracked.

"You act like it’s a shock that anyone could," Harry patted his arm. "Actually you sort of grow on a person."

"Like mold?" Draco laughed half-heartedly.

"Quick like that, yes, but I never thought green was your color actually," Harry squeezed his arm before withdrawing it slowly. Draco's hand flew out quickly and covered Harry's. "Malfoy?"

"Can you call me Draco at least, or Granger and Snape won't think I'm even trying," Draco looked at Harry seriously.

Harry blinked. "Okay Draco. I suppose you better call me Harry then, for the sake of appearances."

"Yes, for appearances," Draco echoed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Harry asked uncertainly.

"No… yes… no… I don't know," Draco answered at last.

"I understand if you don't –" Harry began.

"He was pregnant with our child. Snape just told me last night. I didn't even know." Draco looked away unwilling to let Harry see the pain in his eyes.

"Oh god Draco, I'm so sorry." Harry put his free hand over his mouth and gulped. That had been the one true regret of his life with Charlie was they never had a baby. Family meant so much to both of them. Yet it was a surprise to hear that Draco wanted children. "Did you want –" Harry began then shut up, afraid to go on.

"Yes, Harry," Draco whispered. "I tried to hide it even from myself. But Blaise he saw right through me, just as Severus did. He –"

"It's okay Draco, you don't have to tell me," Harry replied with a sad frown on his face.

Draco shifted in his seat and pulled Harry's hands into his own. "Yes I do. Please keep in mind that Severus just told me this last night."

Harry's face lost its color, "Told you what Draco?"

"Blaise… he cast a spell on you to ensure that part of him and the baby would live on," Harry tried to wrench his hands away feeling ill.

"No! You're lying to me! You just want to hurt me! This is all some crazy ruse to hurt me!" Harry pleaded his eyes shiny with tears. "God please Draco, tell me that –"

"I'm sorry Harry. I just found out last night! Before Severus told me, I never even knew Blaise was pregnant. He loved me in his own twisted way, even if I didn't feel quite the same." Harry had gone rigid in his seat as silence descended over them filling the air.

"Where are the coffee mugs?" a voice called from the kitchen. Draco recognized it as Hermione, surprised that she had returned again this morning.

Draco cleared his throat. "Upper left cupboard near the sink," he replied from memory. He looked desperately at Harry. "Give me truth serum if you want to. But I honestly did not know or put him up to it."

Harry wrenched away his hands before Hermione stepped out on the patio looking from one to the other. "Well it is a bit tense out here isn't it?" She glared at Harry. "I take it you didn't discuss my idea with Draco?"

Harry got up and walked toward the pool as Draco watched Hermione who waited for an answer or for some sort of inquiry to take place. "Okay I'll bite Granger, what idea?" Draco sighed unhappily. He tore his gaze away from the lone figure by the pool. A moment later he heard a splash.

"Hmm, that's unusual. Harry only swims when he needs to stop thinking." Hermione mused aloud. "What did you two fight about?"

"We didn't fight. I just told him something I found out. Now what's this idea of yours?"

Hermione instantly brightened. "Oh I think the two of you should date! It would show the public that you’re supporting Harry!" Hermione beamed at Draco.

"Are you sniffing the same potions Severus is?" Draco shook his head, got up and stormed out of the house.

Chapter 5 by Keikokin
Chapter 5 – Draco's escape

Draco decided his father's unusual quiet over dinner that night meant it was time to leave the Manor. He quietly slipped out around midnight and after making several stops to collect money he'd hidden over the years and stopped at last at Potter’s. Throughout the night he wondered if he should at least tell Potter where he was going. It could put him in danger, but then again it might be good to have someone know where he was. And he didn’t want Potter… no Harry to wonder where he'd gone.

As he stood on the front porch arguing internally, he also wondered how things had gotten quite this messed up. A few days ago, he barely knew Potter still existed. Now he was calling him 'Harry' and was concerned for his feelings and welfare. It was a good thing his mother hadn't lived to see this day. She would have turned instantly white with horror and then had to spend a day at the salon to have it redone to her natural blonde.

His hand was finally on its way to knock when Harry opened the door. Draco did a double take. Harry had one hand on the doorknob and the other holding up a small towel. He was obviously fresh from the shower as tiny water droplets were scattered over his broad chest. "Draco!"

"I don't suppose you have coffee on yet?" Draco asked in a husky voice.

"Actually I just put it on," Harry shook his head, spraying Draco with water unintentionally. "Did you smell it or something?"

"Mmmm," Draco replied looking up and down Harry's body. He had slim hips that were accentuated by the white towel. His chest was broad as were his shoulders. And it all tapered down into strong muscular thighs. He was a walking wet dream. How had he managed to hide such a body all these years? Oh yes, terrible clothing. Draco was riveted.

"If you're done gawking Draco I'd like to get my newspaper and then get dressed."

"Oh don't bother on my account," Draco blurted out then winced at his own faux pas.

Harry actually smiled. Draco wasn't sure why he suddenly felt thrilled by that. He was only sure he wanted to see Harry smile again. "The coffee is in the kitchen Draco. I'll be right down."

"Oh right," Draco moved aside as Harry leaned over to pick up the paper from the owl he hadn't noticed standing beside him. Harry leaned over and Draco found himself captivated by the wet towel molding itself to a shapely cheek. Gulping he adjusted his pants and moved quickly toward the kitchen.

He poured himself a cup of still brewing coffee, ignoring the hiss as a few drops hit the burner before he placed the carafe back. Draco was shaken by his reactions. Was it just because of what Severus had said? Or was it the suggestion from Granger that the two of them should date? More than likely it was the fact that there had been no one since Blaise. Had it really been ten years? Yes, he'd dated but never…

"So what brings you here so early?" Harry asked. Draco saw he was now fully dressed in a pair of dark jeans and long sleeve v-neck gray shirt. He tried to ignore how disappointed he was that Harry was no longer in the towel.

Draco looked down into his cup and leaned back against the black countertop. "I wanted to tell you that I have to leave and go underground for a bit."

Harry's hand froze on the way to the coffeemaker. "Why?"

Taking a deep breath Draco decided to continue on with the truth. "My father is quiet. Too quiet in fact and that can only mean that he's plotting something. My instinct tells me that he's on to me and so it’s time to leave."

"But you can't!" Harry blurted out putting his mug down.

Draco snorted. "Actually, I've already collected everything I need."

Harry was silent. His gaze was unwavering as he met Draco's eyes. "Don't go." The words were spoken softly yet they were like an arrow to Draco's chest. For the first time in a decade he felt his heart beating. Suddenly Draco didn't want to go. It was the last thing on earth he wanted to do.

"There's no other way Harry, I –"

"Stay here," Harry was suddenly right there in his space. Only the coffee cup in Draco's hands seemed to be separating them. "Please."

Draco's mind was filled with reasons as to why this was a really, bad, bad idea. But Harry seemed to have made up his mind. "Look, you said you already have all that you need. Your father would never think to come here for you and he knows that he is not welcome either."

Abruptly the image of Blaise after his father's attempted rape swam into his mind. Draco turned and put the mug down as he fought to keep his own stomach under control. "You don't know what he's capable of. If he gets a hold of you…"

Harry's hand touched his shoulder. It was warm and strong. Draco closed his eyes taking strength from the gesture. "He did something to Blaise didn't he?" If Draco had been thinking too loud he would have missed the softly spoken question.

"He tried. Everyone said for years what a monster my father was. And now they think he's reformed. But they don't get it. He's still the same monster; he's just adapted to his surroundings. It's what we Slytherins do best." Draco felt the bitterness of years on his tongue, but he blamed it on the coffee pouring it down the drain.

"You're only half Lucius Malfoy, remember? Half of you is your mother's son, Narcissa Black." Harry's hand was moving back and forth.

"Ah yes, the Noble House of Black. Did your godfather not tell you of all the Dark Wizards that came from my mum's side? Face it Potter, some of us can't be saved."

"Bullshit," Harry turned Draco around, pulled him into his arms and surprised them both by kissing him. Draco froze in shock as Harry's one arm wound around his waist and the other cupped his face. It was strong, possessive and powerful. And like every witch or wizard he'd kissed before he could taste the other's magic. But Harry's was intoxicating. Draco felt his blood surge toward it like a sirens call, as his eyes fell shut and he gave in to the kiss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 6 by Keikokin
Chapter 6 – Black Bonding magic + making plans


Draco found his arms winding around Harry. One arm wrapped around his back and the other was sliding down to cup his ass. As his palm was filled by the perfect globe, a small moan escaped Harry's throat and the kiss ended. They stood ensconced in each other's arms, their magic crackling in the air with visible strands of gold and silver dancing around them. "What's that?" Harry asked in an unsteady voice, still panting from the kiss.

"Bonding magic," Draco whispered as a memory drifted to him from a rhyme his mother once told him. In a trance like state Draco recited it, as it rose up from the cobwebs of his mind.

True love comes in many ways
But only one to the Noble House of Black
Though 'tis a stranger to us now-a-days

Strands of gold and silver magic, are said to announce the arrival of love that's true
It will wrap around the both of you
And your first kiss will be its cue

Your magic will combine giving you both the force of two
If only to each other you stay true
If love's betrayal kills it all, then the binds shall die
But if love grows then eternal bliss is nigh

Once sealed this love shall never end
No matter if once enemies or only friend
This love shall then conquer all or so it is said
Not seen for millennia, is true love dead?

"Draco?" Harry's arms and hands were shaking.

"Granger," Draco replied, moving his hands from Harry's ass to his hips instead.

Harry nodded. "Right, I'll ask Hermione. She can find out. You know her… the perpetual bookworm."

"Harry," Draco said in a teasing voice.

"She's standing right behind me isn't she?"

"Perpetual bookworm?!" Hermione's voice went right through Harry. "Humph!" She turned all her attention to Draco with a smile. "I take it that you took my advice to heart?"

Draco smirked, especially when he felt Harry's head bury itself in his shoulder.

"Actually… Harry started this. Apparently he can't resist my charms." Harry responded to this by punching him in the upper arm. "See? Even now he can't seem to let go of me."

Hermione giggled as Harry fairly leapt of Draco's arms in his haste to disprove what Draco said. "Bastard," Harry muttered under his breath.

"I assure you I was a legitimate birth, yet your words wound me all the same," Draco put a hand to his head in a dramatic gesture.

Hermione giggled again. "You two are so cute!"

"Us two?" Draco queried. "Mr. Potter only stole a kiss; nothing has been said about a relationship, although he did propose the idea of shacking up together. So I suppose he simply wants me for my body."

Harry sputtered.

"Did he really?" Hermione asked in surprise. "That is fast!"

"He's taking it all out of context! I told him that he could live here instead of going underground to get away from his father," Harry protested with a scowl on his face.

"Underground? Did he threaten you?" Hermione asked Draco with concern.

"No, he didn't. But I know the signs; he's always calmest before he lashes out. He was calm, cool, collected and far too quiet at dinner last night. That means he couldn’t speak to me without losing it. I could feel his anger simmering under his magic." Draco shivered. Turning back to Harry he returned to their previous discussion. "I should get going Harry."

"But you can't!" Hermione shouted. "Harry's right, you have to stay here!"

Draco frowned. "Why?"

"How can we put Harry into office and destroy your father's political standing without you here to help us?" Hermione smiled cunningly. "Besides, I need time to research this bonding magic." She winked at Harry who put his face into his hands. "It's a good thing you kissed him Harry, or we would never have known."

Harry moaned into his hands with embarrassment as Draco and Hermione laughed. She winced and sat down. "I swear I'll never have twins again."

"TWINS?" Harry and Draco echoed.

"Yes, stupid genetics. But it's no cause for concern. The healer said I'm fine and thanks to magic I don't have to go through the actual labor. They'll simply apparate the babies out!" Harry smiled. He found out about that when he spoke to Snape about …

His face fell. Walking by his two guests he dove into the pool, transforming his clothes into swim trunks at the last moment. "What a mess," Draco muttered under his breath.

"Why do I get the feeling I'm missing out on something?" Hermione asked putting up her feet in the chair near her.

Draco sat opposite, so he could watch Harry, not that he'd admit that. "Blaise cast a spell on Harry so that he and my baby would live on in any baby that Harry conceives."

At first Hermione looked very upset by the news. Then her face turned to one known to men the world over… she was plotting something. She smiled and Draco was reminded of the one time he went scuba diving and came face to face with a shark, only his magic saving him. He wondered idly if it would save him this time. "Then there's a perfect solution." Draco was amazed at the amount of perfect white teeth Hermione seemed to have in her head. "You father his next child."

Draco choked on his coffee. After a few moments of staring at her gob smacked he shook his head. "Why weren't you sorted into Slytherin? That's what I want to know."

"OH please, all women are naturally cunning and devious, it's in our nature," Hermione waved a hand at him. Draco raised a hand at her honesty and decided to chalk it up to hormones. After all being pregnant with not one but two children and Weasley’s to boot, was bound to make anyone act a bit …off.

Bonding magic…make Potter pregnant…fight against father…going underground here or there…Bonding magic…hmm. I need a plan…a plan…

"Okay here's the deal. I'll stay here to help fight against my father going into office as long as you, Harry and I work on strengthening the wards. In the meantime, you research this bonding magic. All I knew was that stupid little rhyme and never believed it until now. For all I know we can't leave each other's side or are married by wizarding law already." Draco rolled his eyes at the last part, realizing that might actually be the case. Although the fact that Harry was swimming many meters away was a good sign that it wouldn’t be that extreme.

Hermione smiled. "Right then and you keep fighting Harry's advances the way you have been and maybe the twins will soon have someone to play with, eh?"

"Careful Granger, you almost make it sound like I'd be the one having the child. No way. I don't care how easy it is to get out. I refuse to lose sight of the family jewels for any length of time." Draco shook a finger in her face.

Chapter 7 by Keikokin
Chapter 7 – Harry develops a taste for Draco

Hermione sat back and stared openly at Draco. "Okay, enough of fantasy land. Let's get down to brass tacks."

"What?" Draco's blond brow furrowed in confusion.

"Brass tacks…Oh never mind," Hermione rolled her eyes. "We need to figure out how to get your father's political platform exposed for what it is."

"I'd like to talk to Severus about all of this first if you don’t mind, Granger. Besides don't you already have an assignment?" Draco's face told the rest of the story…he was cranky and needed to get coffee, sleep and eat - though not necessarily in that order.

She took her feet off the chair. "Fine, you’re right. I don't know what came over me. Thinking a man could handle two subjects at once. I've been far too lazy simply carrying twins, trying to solve your romantic issues while disposing of your father. Surely one of us is crazy." She glared at him before marching out the front door slamming it soundly behind her.

Draco shook his head and went to stand before the pool. He wondered if it was better to leave some things unsaid. After all they didn't even know for sure if he would survive staying the night. It was only one little kiss.

Granger had been cranky but she was trying to get him to see how much people were helping him right now. It was just something that he was neither familiar with nor comfortable accepting.

"Harry, maybe I –"

Harry hooked his arms over the pool and edge and looked at him. "Yes?"

"Maybe I'm not really supposed to be with you. It could have been some sort of fluke with the energy thing, or maybe I'm remembering that silly rhyme incorrectly."

"I see," Harry replied coolly.

"You see what?" Draco asked taking offense at the tone.

"You're scared. I could make you happy and it’s scaring you shitless to think I'm the only one that really could do that. Don't you think the same thing is happening to me? It's like being suddenly blinded with a truth you were never prepared for. I'm not asking you to stay here forever, get married and have my…okay our children…whatever." Harry waved a wet hand about. "But I have to admit one thing."

"What?" Draco asked dragging up a chair to sit in.

"I seem to have developed a …hmm…how should I put this? A taste for you?" Harry shrugged.

Draco felt like a fire had been lit low in his belly. They could make promises despite all the uncertainties. Yet if Harry was here it felt like everything would be alright. Sure there was a lot of doubts, but if Harry, who had experienced real love from each end, could be brave, couldn't he?

So why did he feel like he was betraying a memory of Blaise? Why couldn't he just get on with his life? Yet doubts plagued him. What would occur with the bonding magic? Would he be able to help dispose of Lucius in public office and if so would he survive the fallout?

If he asked Harry to wait… no, did he want to wait? It wasn't like he was going to break. And hadn't he put his whole life on hold for one reason or another? Should he put it on hold just because of other factors in his life right now, no matter if they were screwing with his mental health?

If Harry wanted to taste him again…then maybe they'd gotten one thing right in this whole mess. It could be a good sign. Wouldn't Blaise want him to learn to love someone? If that crazy bonding magic was right then Harry was really the only person who was truly meant for him anyway. He could feed Harry a line of bullshit of pretense but if this was all for real was he ever going to be worth anything without Harry?

Harry was looking at him with patience. Green eyes looked at him with hope. But did he deserve that? Even after what Blaise went through loving him when he didn't return the feeling. Draco felt shame to this day for that. Was Harry only doing this for…ah, hell.

In this moment, was anything smaller or larger than baring his soul to Harry? Yes, he never would have done this in the past baring himself to the former Gryffindor to such a vulnerability. But time had changed them both. And if this worked out isn't that what mattered? Maybe this whole magic and bonding thing was bigger than both of them. Besides next to Harry Potter, he was just a nobody. Exactly what his father wanted him to be. But with Harry he could be so much more.

Hell that look Potter was giving him alone made him feel like he was somebody. That he could be special in return. If he was ever to be capable of feeling for someone could it be Potter? All through Hogwarts the energy between them had crackled. It lived dimly in the back of his brain all these years. If he was truthful he had missed Harry in his life.

And here they were. He could have Harry Potter in his life, perhaps for the rest of his life. Was it worth the risk? He'd be putting Harry in danger staying here. But what would he be doing to what they could conceivably have if he snuck out in the middle of the night or when Potter's back was turned. Surely Harry would never forgive him.

It was time to be truthful… completely… there could be no more lies between them on any level. Draco tried to let his honestly radiate through his eyes. "I know the feeling."

Harry smiled. It was brilliant and as sun reflecting of the water around Harry the morning rays shining behind him. "I don't know about you, but I barely slept last night."

Draco took a deep inhale of breath. He'd done it and there'd been no backlash or ridicule. "I spent the night getting my things together. My father will realize at any time that I've skipped out. He might be able to track my magic, so it might be a good time for me to try and grab some sleep if you don't mind."

"Track your magic?" Harry asked pulling himself out of the pool.

"I shouldn’t use it now unless it's an emergency. He might try to do a spell to find my magical signature and if I'm asleep it will be too low to detect." Draco explained as he handed Harry a fluffy white towel from a nearby stack. His eyes trailed over that body for the second time in that morning. He wondered vaguely if he could sleep after seeing that yet again.

Harry nodded transforming the towel into a plush robe and slipping it on. "I'll show you the guest room."

Chapter 8 by Keikokin
Chapter 8 – Draco naps and Ron's warning

Draco followed Harry upstairs into a simple yet comfortable room done in light blues, white and sage. He turned to Harry. "This will be perfect, thank you. Are you better now?"

Harry inhaled. "Yes. Swimming clears my mind; you'll find I use the pool a lot."

"What do you do to clear your mind when it rains?" Draco asked curiously.

"Play the guitar or drums," Harry shrugged. "Do you need anything else?"

Without saying a word, Draco closed the gap between them and cupping Harry's chin kissed him. It only lasted a moment but their magic crackled around them once more before Draco pulled away. "I should be down in a few hours."

"I'll wake you for lunch if you wish," Harry said softly, moved by the gentle kiss.

"Yes, thank you," Draco closed the door with smile in his eyes.

Harry felt compelled to go swimming again. But a light rain had stared almost as if Draco had caused it simply by asking. Determined to think, Harry grabbed his guitar. Instead of playing in his usual place, his bedroom, he picked the area furthest from Draco. Sitting alone in his office, Harry began to strum.

As always the music washed over him and calmed him. He tried to sort things out and pinpoint what action to take next. The fact that Draco seemed willing to let the 'bonding magic' occur surprised him, but in a good way. He was surprised he didn't feel embarrassment looking back on their first kiss now. Although he thought for sure he'd die when Hermione first walked in on them.

It was odd to have some sort of feelings for Draco Malfoy span over so many years. Fundamentally, it was an attraction, although it was first repulsion. Was that because they had sensed a bond between them as children and fought it, in the most literal sense?

To have come together again so recently could be destiny or even the magic. Perhaps the oddest thing of all was how much he trusted Malfoy. Or was that part of the magic too? Were he and Hermione being used by the Slytherins? Was he letting his loneliness rule his head? Without the bond was it really credible that Draco would work against his father? No, that didn’t make sense. If Draco was still the same as he was years ago he'd be personally thrilled to have his father as Minister of Magic… So much for playing devil's advocate with himself.

Harry smiled and played the guitar for a long time before he put it away and decided to work on making plans for lunch and dinner. He’d just prepared the ingredients for lunch when a knock came at the door. Harry went to the door and smiled in surprise when he saw who it was, "Hi Ron."

"May I come in?" Ron asked coolly.

"Sure," Harry stepped aside and wondered what the problem was now.

Ron stepped into the foyer and then looked at Harry. A cold shiver went up Harry's spine. "I want you to stay away from my wife."

"Hermione is my friend too," Harry said, hurt lacing his words.

"Not anymore. Stay away from my family. You already killed Charlie because of your recklessness. We don't want you near any of us." Ron sidestepped Harry, walked out and slammed the door shut behind him.

Harry didn't move. He stood staring at the door unable to reconcile what had just happened with the Ron he used to know. Sure, Ron had turned on him before but never like this. Was he right? Harry slid down the wall to his feet.

"Is it my fault?" Harry whispered in the silence. A heavy pain settled over his heart that was still ailing from the sheer loss of Charlie… now it was filled with guilt so complete Harry felt sick to still be alive. He looked around the room seeing only the reminders of Charlie that had kept him going. But did he deserve that?

He sat for hours, before it became too much and he ran to the bathroom to be violently ill.
Afterwards, using the counter to help him stand up, he rinsed out his mouth. When he looked into the mirror, sadness overcame him. His gloomy mood matched the weather and he searched for a reason, any reason to keep going on.

It was one thing to know, dimly, that the Weasleys hadn't forgiven him. But Hermione's presence in his life had kept the hope alive in his heart that someday they could be a family once more. He would have his best friend back along with his surrogate parents of Molly and Arthur Weasley. Leaning against the cool tile wall he wished once again that he had died and not Charlie. He rested his arms over his bent knees and wondered for the hundredth time, why he was still alive.

"Harry?" Opening his eyes, Harry rolled his head in the direction of the voice. "And I thought I looked like shit." Shaking his head, Draco stretched out his arm toward Harry. "You should get up before you get a crick in your neck or a numb bum."

Reluctantly Harry accepted the hands up. He followed Draco out to the kitchen. With a thump, he plopped down on one of the chairs and stared blankly at the wall.

"Well, obviously something happened while I was asleep. You should have woken me up idiot, instead of making yourself ill. So what happened?" Draco asked pointedly.

"Ron stopped by."

There was a prolonged silence, while Draco tried to figure out what to say. "I take it things didn't go well."

"I can see you're one of those rare bright blond’s aren't you?" Harry snapped.

"Shut up Potter. I'm trying to help, besides my grades at school were far better than yours ass-wipe."

"Sorry Draco, I guess I deserved that," Harry stared at his hands, which were stretched out on the table in front of him.

Draco put his hands over Harry's. "Yes, you did. Now put away the bullshit and tell me what the fuck happened."

Harry chuckled. "I don't think I've ever heard you curse so much."

"If you're going to go all prissy on me, there's plenty of other fish in the sea." Draco reminded him.

"I don't deserve you." Harry hung his head. But his hands told a different story as they held on tightly.

"Well, I don't want you to go away either."

Harry looked up and smiled. "I'm not leaving."

"Fine, then stop trying to push me away. I don’t know what that idiot said to you, but I think it's time we started to de-Charlie the house. You can start by putting away all these pictures of the two of you. Then you can hang up the Dragon Hide cloak and boots until you are ready to deal with them. The problem with you Potter is you don't know the meaning of closure. And if those red-haired morons can't get a grip on reality, then you need to stay away from them!" Draco slid his chair closer to Harry's and put an arm around him loosely.

"He ordered me away from Hermione."

Chapter 9 by Keikokin
Chapter 9



"Well good bloody luck to him in that. Granger will come to you, regardless. Therefore it's not your fault."

Harry turned to him and smiled hopefully. "Do you think so?"

"Of course," Draco replied smugly, "I'm Draco Malfoy and I am always correct."

A genuine smile filled Harry's face. "I guess I should finish making lunch then." Draco nodded. He watched Harry stand up and slip out of his grasp. It was a wrench to let him go but he needed to cool off himself. And he knew just how to do it. The house wasn't big enough for the two of them and a ghost.

Looking around Draco set to work picking up pictures, photo albums and so forth. By the time Harry announced lunch was ready, Draco had rid the downstairs of any reminder of Charlie. Breathing a bit easier, he headed out toward the kitchen.

As Harry set the table, he set the tone for the meal as well. "I don’t want to talk about this anymore."

Thinking that was an excellent start, Draco readily agreed. Halfway through lunch an owl, that was rather small and must have been absolutely tiny at one time, flew through the window end over end in controlled tumble of sorts. "Look out!" Harry lifted up his bowl of vegetable soup and his roast beef sandwich. Draco quickly followed suit.

The bird rolled onto the table, coming to an abrupt halt right before the edge. It seemed inordinately pleased with itself. Draco rolled his eyes, wondering where on earth this owl had learned to fly. "Pig!" Harry beamed putting down his lunch and picking up the pint-sized owl. Draco tentatively put down his lunch too, wondering nervously what the owl's take-offs were like. With nimble fingers, Harry removed the scroll from the owl's leg before giving it a crust from his bread.

"You know this owl?" Draco's lip curled. "It's a menace!"

"Trust me, Errol was a menace. Pig just had a bad mentor. I swear that owl was a hundred years old if it was a day." Harry unrolled the scroll casting a glance at Draco who was looking horrified at the very notion, while carefully guarding his meal. "It's from Hermione!" Pig took off and did a few somersaults before zipping out the window.

"Nothing stops a determined Granger," Draco spoke wisely.

Harry started to laugh. "Listen to this!"

Dear Harry,

I'm sorry about that insufferable git that calls himself my husband. Honestly, I should have listened to my parents when they said getting married so young was a bad idea! "Date more, go out!" they said. But did I listen? Oh no. "Ron is the one for me!"

I'm such an idiot. Really. I would have been better off running after…after…Snape! Oh that would really tick him off. It would serve him right, too. I'm not sure I want any children of Ron's if he's this stupid! I'll have to see if there's a spell to turn the parentage around. Maybe I could have them for you and Draco? Hmmm.

Anyway, expect me for dinner. Oh and I might just cool my heels there for a night if you don't mind. I'm not sure how much more I can stand.

Do you know he never even reads? AT ALL?

Love always,
Hermione

Draco laughed. "She's really going up in my book by leaps and bounds. But I'd rather not have any of Ron Weasley's blood in my children. No thank you."

Harry shook his head. "Hermione loves to threaten him with running off with Snape. I'd be tempted to tell Severus some day, except I'd rather not see that reaction. I'm not sure I'd live to tell the tale."

Draco stared at Harry riveted by the thought of Harry having his children. He barely even heard Harry's comment about Snape. A slow grin slid across his features.

"Um, Draco? You're looking at me very oddly. Are you okay?"

A small leer appeared on Draco's lips. "Actually I'm a bit hungry for dessert."

"Dessert? Oh, well I suppose I can pop out and get us something," Harry began to push his chair away from the table.

"Harry, I'm not talking about that," Draco chided, grabbing Harry by the arm to still him from any further movement.

"Oh," Harry said stupidly then a slow smile appeared on his face. "Why don't we go out to the sitting room?"

Draco fairly dragged him from the room. The pace was too slow and he wanted desperately to push Harry into the wall and show him his animal side. But his training as a Malfoy kept him on a mission to the couch. As he sat down it was shattered and he pulled Harry roughly to him.

Harry didn't seem to mind giving as good as he got. They fought over position and finally wound up side by side. The kisses became deeper, passionate and Harry was making sexy little noises that were driving Draco insane. Deciding giving up some ground would give him a tactical advantage he pulled Harry on top of him.

His hands were now free to roam up Harry's shirt as they devoured each other. Neither even took notice of the magic crackling around them this time. Draco's hands cupped Harry's ass and suddenly the other man jumped. Their kiss was dramatically ended.

Draco looked up into Harry's panicked face and saw his gulp. "What's wrong?" Suddenly Harry was trying to scramble out of his arms and Draco had the impression of holding onto a squirming cat. "For crying out loud Harry, just tell me what the hell is wrong!"

Harry sighed and he dropped his head to Draco's chest. "I feel like such a girl."

Draco frowned. "Perhaps I should point out that you are on top?"

"Not like that you git, it's just that I don’t think I'm ready to…"

"You saw the box didn’t you?" Draco realized that the box where he'd put all the Charlie related items in was only just in view.

"I know I'm being stupid," Harry whispered with self-loathing.

"Lucky man," Draco mumbled.

"What? Who's a lucky man?" Harry asked in confusion.

"Charlie for having you love him so much. Look," Draco tucked an arm under his head, "we can go slow if you need to, but you need to accept he's not coming back. And it's not your fault either. Personally, I wouldn't have done it."

Harry pushed off Draco's chest. "You wouldn't fight for me?"

"It's not that. I think it was a matter of trust really. Some part of him identified you with the need to protect you at all costs. I know that you can hold your own."

"But I would have died!" Harry protested.

"May I remind you that you are the only person who has survived that curse? There's no reason that you wouldn't have survived it again. The same magic that protected you the first time would have protected you again. Or your Seeker reflexes would have made you dive to the side. I'm not saying I wouldn't have been concerned, but… "

"He didn't think I could do it," Harry whispered. Draco nodded. A pitiful look filled Harry's eyes and Draco cupped the back of his head bringing it back down to his chest. He wrapped his arms around Harry, understanding that he needed to wrap his brain around this revelation.


Chapter 10 by Keikokin
Chapter 10


In another part of the wizarding world, a blond aristocrat was pacing. He was, in fact, fuming with rage. Turning to a house elf he snapped, kicked it roughly before asking, "What do you mean he's not been here since last night?!"

"I'm sorry Master, but no one has seen nor heard from Master Draco since-" Lucius kicked it again to shut it up. It got the hint and cowered taking a few steps out of range. Lucius started to pace, despite the fact he thought the mere act was plebian to the extreme. He was just too mad to care.

Finally stopping, he went to his desk. Pulling out a muggle map he cast a locator spell to find his son's magic. After an hour of trying, he threw the map aside. "Damn it! Either someone is hiding him or he's smart enough not to use his magic!"

Deciding he could stand it in the Manor no more, he set out to check the homes of friends and associates of Draco's. Perhaps in one, he could find the answer. If nothing else he could use the time to sway others to his side for the election. With a sigh of relief, the house elf watched him go. After waiting a moment, he too vanished to get word to Dobby.

Lucius Malfoy, an abuser to house elves, was never privy to the fact that all house elves still imprisoned by Master Malfoy were no longer loyal. They wanted to bring him down. The tide had changed in the house elf realm. Almost all house elves were free. The only ones still tied to a family were paid free elves who'd decided not to go back to their homeland or those in Malfoy Manor.

It had been Dobby who had told the other elves from here to the homeland, what horrible acts of cruelty were suffered at the Manor. He was their liaison to the others. And while it was true that the Great Harry Potter himself had freed Dobby and his friend the Incredible Hermione Granger started the campaign of blessed SPEW, Dobby was still connected to the Manor and the elves in it. House elf slavery was an old magic, centuries old.

Of course, Dobby was now known as Dobby the Liberator. It was hard to believe that at one time the house elves all thought he was mad for wanting to be free. But as Dobby spread the word of the injustice he saw as he visited household after household, the house elves saw at long last they were being taken advantage of to the point of making them the lowliest of all in the Wizarding kingdom.

Insanity really, especially when you consider Dobby the Liberator could have killed the Dark Wizard Voldemort with a snap of his fingers. Any house elf could do magic twice as strong as any wizard alive, except perhaps the Great Harry Potter.

Lost in thought, Dicey almost forgot to bow before Dobby when he arrived at the house of the Liberator. Dicey blinked at the splendor Dobby had achieved since he'd visited last. Dobby was sporting all new socks, at least a dozen… at once!! Dicey bowed deeply.

"Dicey! Are you free at last?" Dobby asked hopefully, helping Dicey up. He thought the whole bowing thing was silly. He would have much preferred more socks after all.

"No Dobby. And Master Draco has run away from the Manor. Master Lucius has gone to look for him and he's very, very mad!" Dobby nodded, patted Dicey on the shoulder for the good work and vanished with a snap of his fingers. But Dicey didn't notice, overwhelmed she'd fainted from the mere touch of Dobby the Liberator.

~~~~~~~~
While in another part of the wizarding world, Ronald Weasley was running for it. He ducked, swerved and ran but it was no use. Hermione's aim with a book was second to none, she pegged him again. "OW!" Ron yelped.

He rubbed the back of his head and tried to make it to the door of their flat. "OH NO! Ronald!" Hermione cried and another book hit him in the shoulder. He turned to complain only to find a rather large copy of "Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Store Stock", which was truly a very thick book, only a breath away from breaking his nose. It hovered magically in the air in front of him. Ron gulped.

"Now then," Hermione casually picked up a kitchen knife twirling it in her hands, "who can tell me what friends I am allowed to keep? AND BEFORE you say something incredibly stupid, know this, the knife drawer contains the next items to be thrown at you… even if I have to repeatedly heal you to hurt you some more."

Ron paled considerably. "Err."

"If “err” translates to "no one is allowed to pick my friends for me" you might live to see another day without a great many scars, Ronald." Hermione glared at her husband. The babies in her belly kicked furiously as if they too wanted to get in on the action.

"Um, I love you Hermione," Ron smiled weakly.

"Right, try another one. You are not getting off with that… again." Hermione's continued cold glare spoke volumes as to the veracity of that statement.

"But-"

"Did I mention how DULL these knives are?" Hermione shook her head as if in dismay. "I've heard dull knives hurt so much more when they cut you then sharp ones. I've always wondered if it was true. If we test it out, then I could write a paper on my research. Of course, we'll have to spend a lot of time at the library to properly –"

"NO!" Ron yelled. The only reason Hermione had gotten pregnant after so many years of marriage was that the local library had been closed for renovations. He suspected his mother was behind it. But his mind refused to go there. Ron gulped.

"No, what?" Hermione hissed in a dangerously low tone of voice.

"Um, no it's wrong of me to keep you from your…" Ron looked green.

"My what? Say it!" Hermione prodded, while painting a magical bulls-eye on his forehead with ease.

"Friends!" Ron gasped; his eyes crossed watching the bulls-eye appear.

"See and your sister thought you could never be taught," Hermione smirked. The book fell to the ground, the mark on Ron's forehead disappeared and he sank to the floor shaking.

"You're scary, do you know that?!" He said in an unsteady breath.

Hermione smiled, glancing at the refrigerator door before retrieving a victory snack. Her mother recently sent her a magnet that she was oddly proud of. It featured a red rabbit with a devils' tail and read "Not that evil, Not that good either." The twins kicked in happy agreement. Hermione hoped they were both girls. She chuckled at the thought of what Ron's life value would amount to then!

Chapter 11 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
thanks to Nefernat & MJ
"Well, this is cozy," Hermione whispered as she entered Harry's house. Having just walked into the sitting room, she was greeted by the sight of Harry lying on Draco's chest sound asleep while Draco stroked his hair.

Draco looked up at her. "Um, it's not what you think," he whispered.

She smirked. "You're right. Because to me it looks like you're falling head over heels for Harry, so quite clearly I'm mistaken."

"Exactly," Draco nodded.

"Mmm, Draco," Harry moaned curling and uncurling over Draco, until he was lying fully out on top of him once more. Hermione giggled. Draco bit his lip to fight back a moan but in doing so he wasn't able to stop the smile that reached his eyes.

"It looks like denial on both your parts to me. But I think I'll just head into the kitchen," Hermione winked and walked away.

Draco silently gave her another notch up in his book for having the decency to do so. He waited until he couldn't see her anymore and kissed the top of Harry's head. "Hey, Harry, it's time to wake up."

Large green eyes blinked slowly awake as Draco looked on, becoming lost in them. It was all he could do to not get aroused. "Draco?"

"Yes, that's me. The living, breathing mattress you're on." Harry looked ready to spring away so Draco held on tighter. "Haven't you been sleeping well?" True concern flooded his voice and instead of being embarrassed Harry found himself smiling.

"Not really," Harry admitted as he stretched.

"Well then, I insist we do this again." Harry's panicked look returned once more. "I swear we won't do anything more than you're comfortable with, well, at least as long as your cold water holds out."

Harry chuckled. They looked at each other for a long moment. "Okay."

Draco smiled and stole a quick kiss. "Granger is in the kitchen waiting for you. I think I'll just nip upstairs for some of that water I mentioned." Harry nodded and rolled off Draco, and watched him go upstairs. He sighed happily. It took him a moment to shake off the warm feeling and go to the kitchen.

Hermione looked up at him over the paper. "Well." She folded it and put it down. "I take it Draco went upstairs?"

"Yeah," Harry grinned, grabbing a soda out of the refrigerator and sitting down. Hermione had already helped herself to some juice.

"So…" Hermione smiled knowingly, lifting her eyes up to the ceiling as the sound of the shower started. "What's going on with you two?" She rubbed her stomach lazily.

"Nothing." Harry smiled back.

"Have you done more than kiss yet?" She raised her eyebrow inquiringly.

"Not too much," Harry's face fell.

Hermione frowned, "Why not?"

Harry got to his feet and began to clean the counters. "I can't Hermione, not yet."

"What do you mean 'not yet'? Harry!" Hermione shook her head in exasperation, giving up even trying to be delicate. "It's been ten years!"

Harry played with the condensation on the can before asking. "Why do you think Charlie did it?"

"Did what? OH, that." Hermione was quiet for a moment. "He thought he needed to, I suppose. After all when did he ever fight beside you before that? Maybe he thought you weren't ready."

Harry shook his head, heading to clean something else. "Was I the only one who didn't see it that way?"

"You saw yourself through his eyes because you loved him that much." Hermione grabbed his arm as he went by and dragged him back to the table, as much as her bulky frame would allow. "What did he say?"

"Who?" Harry asked tossing his cleaning cloth into the sink.

"Draco! Don't be obtuse, Harry. What did Draco say to you about Charlie’s final act?" She looked at Harry wondering if Draco had been able to see something and get Harry to see it too.

"He…well…that is to say…Draco thought that he didn't trust me to hold my own," Harry whispered. "Do you think I would have survived the killing curse again?"

Hermione sighed. "Probably, but then again, Charlie only had a second to think. If he'd had two then perhaps he'd be here today. Regardless, it's not your fault." She looked Harry over. "But that's not all of it is it?"

"No, I suppose not. Hermione what do you think of Draco and me?"

"Does it matter what I or anyone else thinks?" Hermione wished for the old days when Harry had self-confidence. In his final act, though it may have been done out of pure love, Charlie had taken that from him. She wondered if Harry would ever recover. Perhaps Draco could put that confidence back where it belonged. "For what it's worth, I think he cares about you and that you two could really work. After all, this whole magic binding thing seems to be a sign, right?"

"Right Granger," Draco strolled in. His hair was damp and he looked completely at home in a loose pair of drawstring pants and simple t-shirt. Harry blinked in surprise at his attire. So did Hermione. "What? A fellow can't be comfortable to cook dinner?"

"You're going to cook dinner?" Hermione asked in surprise. "Okay, I have to see this." She sipped at her juice, pinning them both with an amused look.

"Would you like some help?" Harry asked.

The corner of Draco's mouth twitched. "Thank you. I was thinking of making spaghetti."

"I'll take care of the pasta and salad," Harry offered.

"Fine, I'll handle the sauce and garlic bread," Draco nodded and they set to work.

Hermione pulled a baby book out of thin air and proceeded to look it over. Harry looked at her curiously. "What are you doing Hermione?"

"I’m trying to pick out baby names without the Weasley's around. I will not have my children named after some family member I don’t even have a passing acquaintance with."

"Does this mean that poor Severus is off your list again?" Draco smirked. "I'm sure he'll be heartbroken."

Chapter 12 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Nefernat
Lucius strutted around Severus Snape's living room. With one gloved finger he dusted the top of a bookshelf and looked around with a raised eyebrow. "I take it that you are one of those unfortunates who lost a house elf?"

"Indeed," Severus admitted, pouring out a finger of brandy for them both and handing the crystal tumbler to Lucius. "Although it is quite refreshing to no longer have to worry about tripping over one of them with a delicate potion in my hand."

"Hmm," Lucius contributed before sipping delicately at his brandy. "Your presence has been lacking at the Death Eater meetings."

"School and all that," Severus offered. Lucius nodded, it was a common enough excuse with Snape. "How is Draco?"

Lucius barely moved a muscle and eyed his glass speculatively. "I suppose he's out making the rounds."

Severus raised an eyebrow. "Indeed. You seem rather calm about that."

"I choose not to think about it," Lucius sneered. Snape once again counted his blessings that Lucius never found out about his relationship with Remus. "If you see him, tell him that I need to see him on matters pertaining to the Manor."

"Of course," Severus answered in measured tones. He was all too aware that Lucius was watching him for any reaction. Severus also noted that Lucius was playing the 'Manor card' as he and Draco liked to call it. The Manor was one of the few Malfoy possessions that Draco truly cared for and they all knew it.

Lucius finished his brandy and rose gracefully to his feet. "We hope to see you at the next meeting. There are some important plans that need to be addressed."

"I would welcome the chance to be away from those brats," Severus sneered. The corner of Lucius' mouth twitched with a hint of a smile. Lucius gave a bit of a bow and left by the front door before Apparating away.

Severus allowed himself a minute to crumple against the front door and congratulate himself on keeping up the ruse. Sometimes he despaired that his long time friendship with Lucius Malfoy was destined to end in blood or disgrace. Yet he used his long kept Slytherin façade to keep his emotions well hidden. It was in hidden moments like this he allowed it to pull him down. Like an ocean it crashed down over him, making him feel older than he truly was.

Severus knew he was no hero. But he knew he had to keep Draco safe at all costs. It was not yet safe to go check on him. Severus had grown weary of being concerned about tracking charms, but the best answer was to wait until it would wear off, to be safe. He poured himself another drink and wished for days long past. There were no answers for him. The best he could hope for was to remain at Hogwarts. With a sudden longing for his beloved dungeons he used the Floo to go back to the castle. Once he’d recovered from his little encounter with Lucius he owled Harry.


Draco looked up and shook his head. “That man never misses a cue. I still don’t know how he does it.” In response to the two questioning looks from Harry and Hermione he gestured toward the distinctive black horned owl winging their way. “That’s perfect timing.”

“Well, you have to admit that Snape has always known how to make an entrance.” Hermione laughed.

“Careful, I might let him know about this crush you’re harboring for the man,” Draco teased.

“Can I help it if it took me until after graduation to appreciate what a sexy beast the man is?” Hermione challenged.

“Is she kidding?” Draco asked Harry as he took the message from the owl.

“Merlin, I don’t want to know,” Harry shivered. His eyes glanced over the missive quickly before summarizing for the others. “He’ll be over in a bit. It seems your father,” he looked at Draco sympathetically, “was grilling him for information in regards to your whereabouts.”

Draco trembled visibly. “I told you I should leave. This was a stupid idea.”

Harry grabbed his arm. “Show me that you meant it before when you said you’d stay and face this with me. There is no way I’m running for Minister without you by my side. Only you know how to take him down. We need you, Draco. Don’t be a prat.”

Shamed, Draco looked down. “Sorry, force of habit. What say we sit down? If I know Severus he’ll arrive just as the wine is opened.” The trio sat down and began to dish out the spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. “Told you,” Draco smirked at the sound of the front door opening and closing. “Good timing, dinner is ready.”

“Just tell me that the wine is opened,” Severus snapped irritably.

Hermione raised an eyebrow in Harry’s direction while Draco poured the man a glass. “What did daddy dearest have to say?”

Pressing a hand against one temple while drinking of his wine, Severus rolled his eyes. Draco immediately deciphered the gesture. “Father gave him a headache by forcing him to act as pompous as he does while maintaining my secret.”

“Quite so. Lucius doesn’t believe in showing his teeth. He prefers to hint at his claws and how long his reach is. Naturally, he made mention of how I’ve been missed at meetings.” Severus filled his plate and began to eat.

“Well at the risk of talking about politics at the table, I think you better make your announcement soon, Harry. Draco will be safer in the public eye. He can’t keep being holed up here forever. Although I suppose that means he’ll think he then has free reign to stop by here. Hmm,” Hermione sliced some garlic bread as she pondered the matter.

“I’ll write a speech and then we can go over it,” Draco sighed in resignation.

“I’ve made contact with my insider at the Prophet before I came here. An exacting reminder of Lucius Malfoy’s notorious past will be in the paper tomorrow. We just have to hope that he doesn’t manage to kill the story before it prints.” Severus filled his glass once more.

“We need to do this perfectly,” Harry mused.

“Nothing less than perfection itself,” Draco summarized.

“Well, we have just one chance to do this right. I suggest we strike while the iron is hot. If the announcement that Harry is running for Minister is done before a retraction is printed then the public very likely won’t notice it.”

Severus smirked. “They cannot retract the truth. The article is nothing more or less than his history in full detail alongside his platform so that the people can see the true purpose behind his running. Of course, the paper will then have to give equal time to Mr. Potter’s platform in the next issue.”

“Brilliant,” Hermione grinned.

Severus raised his glass in acknowledgement. Draco smirked while Harry waggled his eyebrows at his friend. He was going to have ammunition for teasing.

Chapter 13 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
thanks to nefernat
Dinner finally dissolved into trivial matters ending over coffee and herbal tea for Hermione. Before bidding everyone goodnight for the evening and departing, Severus warned them all to stand by for the reaction from Malfoy Manor when Lucius read the article in the morning.

Without even realizing they were doing it both Harry and Draco turned as one to look at Hermione expectantly. She bit back a chuckle. Hermione was half tempted to stay the night, just to see how they would dance around each other and her, but knew that she really did need to head home. It didn’t do to leave Ron to his own imaginings for too long. She got up with a great deal of effort and made a show of stretching. “As much as I’d like to stay, there’s nothing like your own bed. Thanks for dinner. I’m sure we will be talking soon, possibly tomorrow. Oh and don’t worry about Ron. I’ll give him a heads up on what’s going on. Maybe he’ll appreciate the situation more if it means getting Lucius out of the picture.”

Harry walked her to the fireplace for a final hug goodbye while Draco surveyed the mess that was the kitchen, wondering where to start. In a few moments, Harry joined him and together they straightened things up, utilizing a bit of Harry’s magic to speed things along. When they were all done they fell into an awkward silence.

“I expect Granger will set up your appointment for the press conference then?” Draco asked breaking the pregnant pause.

“Oh? Oh. Right. Yeah, I expect she will.” Harry shrugged.

“Harry…”

“Draco…”

They both began at once, and then gestured to the other to begin. With a dramatic huff, Draco said, “For the love of Salazar!” He grabbed Harry and pulled him into a deep, long kiss. At first Harry was stiff in his arms but then he slowly brought his hands up to play in Draco’s hair. Both ignored the swirls of magic around them. When Draco felt Harry had relaxed he stepped back. “Well, I’d love to continue this but I have an appointment upstairs for a serious wank session.” Draco drawled sarcastically. “Good night Harry.”

“Um, Draco?” Harry started awkwardly.

Draco gave a little evil smile, full of hope and lust. “Yes Harry?”

“I, well, that is to say… maybe I could, um, help?”

While his mind swam with a wealth of possible answers to that offer what came out of Draco’s mouth, must to his own surprise was,” What brought this on?”

Harry dusted something off his shirt, purposely avoiding Draco’s penetrating gaze. “I might have discussed it with Hermione.”

Draco felt his mouth drop open and forced himself to close it. “You discussed what’s going on between us with someone else rather than me?”

“She brought it up,” Harry shot back defensively.

Shaking his head, Draco turned back toward the stairs. “Actually I don’t need any help as the matter is no longer an issue.”

Harry bit his lip, wondering what he’d done wrong as he watched Draco leave. He spent a restless night trying to figure out the answer. But as morning came he realized that he was no closer to finding out what he’d done wrong than he had been right after it happened. Disgruntled and tired, he made his way to the bathroom for a long shower and some pepper-up potion to get him through what was sure to be a very long day indeed.

Arriving downstairs Harry found Draco was already at the table with a cup of tea in one hand and a copy of the Daily Prophet in the other. Before even a proper greeting was exchanged Draco said over the paper. “Severus roasted my father alive in this morning’s edition. Hell, I could run for office right now and look good. Oh, by the way, Granger’s owl arrived this morning. I expect it is a note telling us what time to arrive at the press conference and where she set it up to take place.”

Harry sighed at the wall that seemed to have appeared between them overnight and picked up the white envelope from his usual seat at the table.

Harry,

I’ll expect you at the steps of the Ministry at half past ten. Don’t be late and wear your best black dress robes with a red shirt. I’ll coordinate you and Draco when you get there. You do know what to say don’t you?

Hermione

“We have to be at the Ministry steps at half past ten.” Harry informed his houseguest before moving to get a cup of tea and sat down. “She wants me to say something but –“

“I’ve already written something out for you,” Draco pointed with one long elegant finger to the side desk, upon which sat a scroll. “Look it over. I know a short-term memory spell you can use. And before you ask, I didn’t use it in school; it wasn’t allowed.”

Harry shut his mouth with a snap that was exactly what he was going to ask.

“I might add a line or two of direct quotes from the paper. Honestly, this is brutal. My father will be incensed. I actually feel sorry for the staff today.” Draco shuddered, making the paper quake in his hands. “Hmm, I wonder when they took that picture of him? It’s dreadful.”

“I don’t want you to go,” Harry said suddenly realizing the danger that Draco would be in the second that Lucius became aware of his involvement.

The paper lowered and Draco’s eyes fixed him to the spot. “Why ever not? You’ll need my support. Show of strength from the opposite camp and all that.”

“We don’t know what he might try to pull. He could have assassins there or something. Or maybe he’ll show up and hex you,” Harry said pointedly in a voice filled with concern.

Draco carefully folded the paper and put it on the table. “You’re worried about me?”

“Yes, I suppose I am,” Harry answered firmly.

A small enigmatic smile crossed Draco’s face. “What would you fancy for breakfast before we go?”

Harry blinked. He had just lost the argument somehow, but in a way felt as though he’d made amends, especially if Draco was offering to make breakfast. But maybe one was more important than the other. And when did it become so important?

“I suppose kippers and eggs,” Draco decided. Passing Harry as he headed for the kitchen, he dropped a light kiss on Harry’s head. And Harry grinned happily.

Chapter 14 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
thanks to Nefernat & Onyx Ice
Harry read over the speech then started to feel the pressure of Draco’s gaze. Excusing himself while putting some coffee on, as the tea wasn’t cutting it, he made his way back to his room. Sitting on the edge of the bed he took stock. His life was about to change. Whether he won or lost things would never be the same.

The picture on the nightstand of he and Charlie standing together had managed to miss being swept away into storage. Picking it up he ran his fingers down the side. Then inspiration hit him and he began to make some changes to the speech. When he was all done he finished it with a flourish feeling much better about it. Seeing the picture again he smiled at it feeling more at peace with Charlie’s memory than ever before. Picking it up he moved it to a bookcase, where he could see it if he wanted to but it wasn’t such a constant. Draco had been right as had Hermione, it was time to move on with his life.

Coming back downstairs he found Draco waiting for him patiently. “I was starting to think you’d changed your mind.”

“No,” Harry looked at the scroll in his hand then at Draco before handing it to the blond. “I’ve made some changes.” Draco gave a small nod taking the scroll. Harry then moved to the kitchen for a cup of fresh coffee all the while keeping an eye on Draco’s face for any signs of a reaction to the changes he’d made.

But Draco’s face was reserved, giving away nothing. “Not bad. I wonder how the Weasley’s will react though.”

“Oh I didn’t even think of that.” Harry sat down and looked distractedly into his cup. “If they have a problem with it I’ll just change the name.”

Draco nodded. “When you finish that cup we better get going.” He reached across the table to place his hand over Harry’s. “This has to be done.” Taking a deep breath Harry took in some of that resolve gratefully, squeezing Draco’s hand back. Once his resolve was steeled they left together using side-by-side apparition.

The second they arrived they were swarmed by reporters and curiosity seekers. Hermione had managed to secure a few Aurors who cleared the way for Harry and Draco once they spotted them. Working their way up to the podium they were besieged by questions. Draco kept pulling Harry forward and when they reached the top landing the area was then secured by the Aurors.

“Showtime,” Draco said into Harry’s ear while pushing him in front of the podium. Then he quickly cast a calming and cheering charm over Harry. The effects were practically visible as Harry suddenly smiled and waved at the crowd, looking completely at ease.

“Thank you all for coming here today. It has come to my attention that you are all looking for candidates for the position of Minister of Magic.” Laughter rolled over the crowd. “While I may not have political experience, I do carry ideas for the future of our world from a unique perspective. As some of you know I was raised by muggle relatives. During my years at Hogwarts, I was personally mentored by Albus Dumbledore. In the battle against Voldemort,” some in the audience still cringed at the mention of the dark wizard,” I fought for this world.”

“I have hopes and dreams to better this world, while I believe some things should not be changed at all. Yet the Wizarding World needs to move forward in order to survive. Let me share with you some of those things I’d seek to change if you elected me to office.”

“Firstly, let me share with you something that Albus himself told me saved me from Voldemort’s Killing Curse.” The reporters leaned forward curiously. ”It was love. The love of my mother saved me.” A murmur swept through the crowd at this.

”Love is all around us, yet being hindered by archaic laws. I wish to change those laws and make same sex unions legal.” There was a bit of a dark murmuring at this. “Also, in an effort to help our dwindling population grow, I want to make the rather costly pregnancy potions available to those couples through a foundation I’d like to create – The Charles Weasley Foundation.” Now the whispers took on a more positive sound. “However, keeping in mind the solid family traditions which are such an important part of our society those potions would only be made available to those who can prove they have been married.” Nods of approval and the sounds of scribbling quills now filled the air.

“But Mr. Weasley was not the only unsung hero of the war. Another wizard, Remus Lupin gave his life for the cause, though his own life and pursuit of happiness was restricted by the very world he fought to save. Thus I wish to create the Remus Lupin Act, to ensure rights for the magical creatures in our community whom have shown themselves to be respectable, law abiding citizens. This act would allow them to have a family, secure employment with leave if needed adaptable to their particular circumstance. They should not be punished for the hand life has dealt them.”

“As I mentioned earlier I was raised by muggles. What isn’t widely known is that I was abused verbally, emotionally and physically by them. They made me a servant, forced me to live in a cupboard, go without meals and worse.” A gap filled the air, including one to his immediate right that he knew was Draco. “It is because of this I wish to institute a halfway house for Wizarding Children to be saved from living in such circumstances.”

“A child’s name shows up on the magical scrolls at the Ministry once they are born. Each child should be monitored from this time to make sure they are living in a proper environment. This is not to take away the children from the home, rather to give them a safe house where they can go until circumstances are bettered at their home. It is only in the worse case scenario am I suggesting they be permanently moved to another wing at the halfway house, where they can begin to assimilate living in our world.”

“Undoubtedly you’ve heard platforms of my worthy opponents. I ask only that you to be wary of anyone who is not moving our world forward but miring it in the past and prejudices that come far to close to being the same rhetoric spouted by Voldemort. Please consider what your vote will mean for the future, the children and all creatures great and small in our world. Thank you for your time.”

Questions erupted from the gathered group, but above them all could be heard a roar of anger. “HOW DARE YOU!”

All eyes turned to see Lucius Malfoy standing at the back, breathing heavily and clenching his walking stick ready to whip out his wand. “Father,” came a hushed whisper to Harry’s right. Without a second thought, Harry placed himself before Draco.

Lucius pushed his way through the crowd. Cameras went off and the reporters seemed thrilled at the arrival of the other obvious candidate. While several questions had been asked about Draco Malfoy, son of the opposition, standing at his right side, it had not been addressed by Harry. The reporters hoped that this new development would answer their questions.

“Draco Malfoy. What are you doing here?” Lucius sneered once he’d made his way to the front.

Harry turned to Draco and tried to express through his eyes that he wished he could protect him from answering his father. Draco’s face gave nothing away. But in his eyes Harry could see he understood. Draco stepped forward, but didn’t leave Harry’s side. “I am here to offer support for Harry Potter and his ideas for the future of our world.”

“You are my son.” Lucius hissed softly. “How dare you ignore your rightful place.”

Draco spoke up loudly. “I am my own man father and I support Mr. Potter’s ideas.”

“You are bedding him!” Lucius grimaced.

“My support of Mr. Potter is not based on my current lack of a sex life.” A few reporters chuckled at this.

“He is a Mud- a muggle born! Therefore he is unfit to hold office!” Lucius snapped.

Draco turned to the crowd. “Do any of you here think that Mr. Potter is any less capable of holding the office of Minister of Magic than any of those who have previously held it?”

There was some murmuring but no one complained.

Lucius took a menacing step closer to Draco and Harry. “I will disown you if you continue down this path. You are turning your back on your family.”

“You sir, are turning your back on your son’s ability to be his own man. For years you trained him to follow in your footsteps of the Dark Lord’s teachings, did you not?” Harry blinked wondering when Severus had shown up. The dark haired man put a supportive hand on Draco’s shoulder.

“Traitor!” Lucius yelled pulling out his wand at last and pointing it at Severus who had suddenly placed himself ahead of both Harry and Draco.

The Aurors quickly surrounded Lucius, who had been hit by several spells and took him away. At the same time the reporters took pictures of the scene. It took some time for the remaining Aurors to calm the crowd and in the confusion Harry, Draco, Hermione and Severus made their escape to Harry’s house.

Chapter 15 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
thank you nefernat
Your Fellow Man Chapter 15

The foursome practically collapsed in Harry’s sitting room. Hermione put her feet up and threw her head back. “Merlin, I’m glad that’s over.” She shot a smile at Severus. “You were wonderful. How did you know we’d need you?”

“Yes, how did you know?” Harry asked as well.

“Actually, I’d taken up a position in the Ministry offices where I could easily monitor the situation. When I saw him show up I made haste to get down there.” Severus replied.

“I bet he’s destroying my room right now,” Draco looked away, sadness etched on his face. Harry reached over and took his hand. Draco looked down at it and then at Harry. “I can’t believe you shielded me like that.”

“Humph,” Severus snorted. “The matter at hand now is what his next move will be. I expect he’ll play the sympathy card.”

Hermione tapped her lips. “So we will need something to counter that.” She smiled evilly looking at Harry and Draco.

“What?” Harry asked.

“Uh oh, I don’t like that look,” Draco pressed himself back into the couch.

Severus chuckled. “I quite agree and I’m very thankful it’s not aimed at me.”

Hermione smirked. “What we need to do is go public with this relationship between the two of you. Go out on the town and become the darlings of the people.”

“But won’t that just show I have an ulterior motive?” Harry worried his bottom lip.

“Everyone has an ulterior motive Potter, stop being such a Gryffindor. They will all know something is going on. But don’t you see? It will give the people a reason to think about the same sex unions. They won’t want their darling hero to be unhappy. That bit you made up about your muggle family was genius.” Draco shook his head. Severus looked questioningly at Harry who looked away.

This time it was Hermione who reached out to touch Harry’s hand. “It was the truth. Ron told me about the time they had put bars on your windows –“

“That tripe Weasley told me after nearly destroying the Whomping Willow was true?” Severus asked incredulously. Draco’s eyes went wide. Harry got up, walked out back, waved a hand over his clothes changing into his trunks and dove into the pool.

Draco and Severus turned back to Hermione, who was watching Harry with concern, for an answer. “It was all true. And he left a lot off. Charlie told Ron that he thought Harry’s cousin had…had –“

She wiped away a tear that had fallen down her cheek. “Well, that hardly matters now does it?”

Surprisingly it was Severus who pulled out a handkerchief and offered it wordlessly to Hermione, who took it gratefully, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

“Excuse me.” Draco stood and walked over to the pool. He waited for Harry to notice him. After a few laps Harry folded his arms over the side. “Want to talk about it?”

“No,” Harry bluntly replied.

“Still I don’t understand –“

“I’ve had enough of this Draco. Didn’t you listen? I don’t want to talk about this,” Harry slipped back into the water.

Draco made his way back to the sitting room. “You should see the look on your face. The Malfoy charm has its limits? It seems you’ve picked up that little trick from your father of pushing people to their –“

“Severus,” Hermione looked with disapproval at the other man. But Draco blinked at not only the admonishment from her to the older man but at the fact he’d heeded it. Clearing her throat Hermione spoke again. “He’ll tell you in time, just let it go for now.”

“I was just discussing with Hermione how the Weasley’s will react. Were you aware that he was going to make these foundations and bills?” Severus asked Draco with an eyebrow raised pointedly.

“He made the alterations to the basic and short speech I wrote for him. But yes, he let me read it this morning. He can’t seem to let Charlie go.” Draco slumped over his hands. “His ghost is hanging over us.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “I wash my hands of talking about this self-defeating way you have of throwing yourself away.” He stood suddenly. “If you need me contact the school. I don’t think I’ll be home until Lucius calms down. It’s far safer at Hogwarts.”

Draco nodded distractedly not even noticing the older man departing. Hermione watched him go before turning her attention to the figure before her, a vision of self-defeat. “You really care about him.”

“Who?” Draco frowned.

“Harry. Did you tell him?” She asked despite knowing the answer.

“Do I look like a Hufflepuff to you? “ Draco looked toward the pool. “How could they hurt him? Why would Dumbledore let that happen?”

“They were trying to beat the magic out of him. He uses a glamour to cover the scars, but most are on the inside. Ron said he spent most of first year dreading going back there. I spoke to my parents about it, but we had no proof and Harry was scared of them. Dumbledore said he had to keep going back for the blood protection they afforded him. The Weasley’s tried to get him away from there too.” She was silent a minute then said. “For someone who doesn’t care you seem very interested in his life.”

“How do I compete with a ghost?” Draco asked rather than comment on what she’d said.

“I’m not sure I know how to answer that.”

Draco looked at her in surprise. “Know it all Granger doesn’t have the answer? Call the Prophet.”

“Oh do grow up.” Hermione said quietly, closing her eyes and letting her head fall further back. Draco watched as she fell asleep then lost himself in silent contemplation.

His thoughts were disturbed as a familiar looking owl tapped at the window. “Shit.” He rose to his feet and took the envelope from the owl who nipped him sharply before taking off. Draco hissed as he saw it was from the solicitors used by his family. “Bastard didn’t waste any time.”

“Draco?” Harry called while walking toward him, still trying to dry off with a towel.

Rather than answer Draco opened the envelope and scanned what it said. “Disinherited, barred from any family properties or holdings and my name has been stricken from the tapestry. You will of course, excuse me.”

Harry was confused by Draco’s calloused tone. He reached out toward the blond, only to have it shrugged off. A few minutes later he heard the shower going. Harry understood all too well.

If you cry in the shower, no one can tell.

Chapter 16 by Keikokin
Your Fellow Man, Ch. 16
Beta: Onyx Ice

Slowly Harry made his way upstairs, his footsteps seeming loud in his own ears. But not as loud as the sounds of the shower, where he knew Draco was alone and hurting. It was all he could do to remember to breathe. He was scared and nervous. Yet, he felt the shower calling to him like a Siren.

There was a tribal calling in him driving him forth. Dimly he wondered if he was in control of his own actions. Was it the Black Bond? Or was it his own desires and needs that he’d suppressed for a decade? Had Draco’s pain awaken something deep inside seeing the vulnerable side of one who was always so strong?

Gulping past the last of his fears he began to disrobe. As the air hit his skin, a shiver of excitement rushed through him. Yes, he would need to comfort Draco first and foremost. But would something else happen? This would be a large leap forward.

Boldly, he slipped his swim trunks to the floor and clenched a towel in his hand. Bravely, he stepped toward the door for the bathroom. It was time to cast off the past as he had his clothing. Draco needed him and he would not let him down.

“Harry Potter! You is not wearing any clothes!”

Harry yelped, turned and covered his bits with his towel in one smooth motion to see Dobby staring at him in amazement.

“Dobby!” Harry hissed, looking back over his shoulder longingly toward the door. “What are you doing here?”

A frown covered Dobby’s face. “How is the water running when you is out here?”

Harry felt a full blush cover his body. “I have, um, company Dobby….company that I was just about to join IN THE SHOWER.” Harry hissed as loudly as he dared glancing over his shoulder once more.

Dobby pulled on his ears. “Oh, I is sorry Harry Potter. Dobby will wait here until you are done.”

Closing his eyes, Harry sighed. There was no way he could possibly do anything with Dobby hanging about outside the shower. “Please Dobby just tell me quickly and then go.”

Nodding, Dobby told of the revolt he’d been staging inside of Malfoy Manor to free his fellow elves. Lucius was completely oblivious to the fact that all the house elves still imprisoned by Master Malfoy were no longer loyal. In fact, they wanted to bring him down for the tide had changed in the house elf realm, where almost all house elves were free! The only ones still tied to a family were paid free elves who’d decided of their own accord not to go back to their homeland or those kept in Malfoy Manor.

It had been Dobby who had told the other elves from here to the homeland, what horrible acts of cruelty were suffered at the Manor. He was their liaison to the others. And while it was true that the Great Harry Potter himself had freed Dobby and his friend the Incredible Hermione Granger started the campaign of blessed SPEW, Dobby was still connected to the Manor and the elves in it. House elf slavery was an old magic, centuries old. But his work had earned him the title of Dobby the Liberator.

“That’s great Dobby! And perfect timing too! I’m going to be running for Minister of Magic.” Harry said softly.

“I will help the Great Harry Potter in anyway I can. Is there any way that you can help Dobby? I do not like to ask, but they all look up to me and –“ Dobby looked down at the floor twisting his ears a bit.

Patting Dobby on the shoulder, Harry did his best to offer reassurance. “As soon as I get elected, now Dobby, if you don’t mind?”

“Harry is that you?” came a voice from behind Harry, making Dobby’s eyes go wide with recognition.

“Harry Potter has Draco Malfoy in his shower!” He pointed his hand toward the door with an angry conviction on his face.

“No! Dobby don’t! You don’t understand.” Harry stood directly in front of the elf. “Draco and I are, well, um, together. He’s not bad. That’s why he left the Manor to get away from his father. He’s offered to support me when I run against Lucius.”

Dobby’s mouth had formed a small, shocked ‘o’. Draco picked that moment to come out and look from one to the other in confusion. “Harry?”

“Stay behind me Draco,” Harry urged. Draco gave a small moan as Harry’s bare ass collided with the front of his towel causing an instant reaction. The intimate contact caused Harry’s eyes to close momentarily. Draco’s did as well, each forgetting their diminutive guest in favor of each other. Instinctively, they turned slightly and their lips met hungrily. Their magic crackled around them eagerly.

Dobby gasped, ending their kiss abruptly and leaving Harry to fumble for his bit of towel. They turned back toward Dobby and Draco helped Harry cover himself better.

“Your m-magic-“ Dobby stammered.

“Oh right, I didn’t get the chance to tell you that it seems Draco and I are under some sort of Black Love thing.” Harry shrugged. Behind him Draco shook his head at the inept explanation.

“The Great Harry Potter is bound to Draco Malfoy by the Black Bonding Magic?” Dobby whispered.

“Um, something like that yeah,” Harry shrugged.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake,” came a voice from the hallway. “Honestly, you two. Go do, whatever and I’ll talk to Dobby.”

They both turned to the door. “Hermione?” Harry asked in confusion. “What are you doing back?”

She shrugged. “Who can sleep when they are having twins? Besides I really don’t sleep well without Ron around and he seems to be out with his brothers.”

“I did not need to know that,” Draco whispered in Harry’s ear and Harry barely fought off a laugh.

“That would be great Hermione. Please?” Harry pleaded instead.

“I said I would wouldn’t I?” She looked over at Dobby. “Care to join me for a cup of tea and we can talk?”

“The Incredible Hermione Granger Weasley has asked me to tea!” Dobby squeaked happily running after her, leaving Harry and Draco alone.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief as the door closed again. “Care to tell me why you were out here with only a towel in front of your bits talking to my old house elf?” Draco whispered into his ear.

Torn between blushing awkwardly and pushing himself back into Draco, Harry bit his lip and shook his head. “Right, then am I correct to assume you were coming to join me?” A gentle kiss was placed by the blond below his earlobe and Harry felt his towel being lifted into the air. “Mmm, that’s a ‘yes’.”

Chapter 17 by Keikokin
Hermione began to pour some tea while fighting very hard not to think of what might be happening upstairs. “So Dobby, what do you know about this bond?”

“Mistress Malfoy told it in a rhyme to Master Draco when he was nothing but a boy. However, the house elves say it was an old spell. The Black family had been disgraced so often by witches and wizards wanting their fortune they made this spell, they did.” He nodded as if his point was proven before taking a sip of tea and wiping the back of his mouth with his sock-covered arm.

“Can you tell me anything more about the bond?” Hermione queried, sitting down in and armchair in the living room with her own teacup and looking at Dobby hopefully.

Nodding, Dobby continued “It is said to make strands of gold and silver at true love’s first kiss. When the bond is complete, it turns black.”

“As in the House of Black?” Hermione asked.

“Yes, Mistress. It makes each person as strong as the other as long as each never lies to the other.”

Hermione suddenly had a very bad feeling. “What happens if one person lies?”

“The bond starts to weaken and take the magic of both wizards. It is even worse if one betrays the other. Then both lose all their magic!”

“Can the bond be stopped?” Hermione asked urgently, casting her eyes toward the ceiling nervously.

The witch’s teacup shook in her hands and she just managed to set it down in time before spilling liquid all over her hands. Mopping up a bit where the tea splashed on the table, she anxiously awaited Dobby’s answer.

Dobby wrung his hands, “Dobby has never heard that the bond could be broken.” Then he smiled brightly. “But if they falls in love, they will be so happy and strong!”

Hermione gulped and hoped neither Harry nor Draco spoke much while having sex. She had to speak to them and soon, but there was no way she was going upstairs now. Her mind wandered, pondering the possibility that Ron was talking to his family about the Charlie Weasley Foundation at that moment.



Meanwhile upstairs…

Draco turned Harry around, smoothing his hands over Harry’s backside. Gliding his fingers over the enticing crevice between the cheeks, Draco moaned softly while moving closer to kiss Harry.

Harry let his hands fall to the edge of Draco’s towel. With a surge of lust, he pulled at the terrycloth, causing it to puddle at their feet.

“Be sure,” Draco demanded, breathing heavily against Harry’s lips.

In response, Harry ground his erection against Draco’s, smearing the pre-cum that already glistened at the tip of both cocks. Reacting quickly, Draco grabbed Harry’s ass, pressing them both tightly together.

“Draco,” Harry gasped before forcefully reclaiming Draco’s mouth.

The dark-haired man pushed Draco to the floor as desire took over and magic crackled around them. The blond didn’t complain even as he was pressed against the carpeted floor. One of Harry’s hands clenched a fistful of Draco’s hair, holding his head to the floor while the other held down a slim hip. Harry’s hips thrust against Draco’s with an impressive amount of power, as the dark-haired wizard finally released the last of his hold on the past.

Demonstrating his enthusiasm for their lust filled activity, Draco grasped Harry’s ass, leveraging even more pressure. The wizards thrust together as slickness covered their penises. Their kisses became wild and unfocused, tongues mimicking the actions of their bodies. Wanting more friction and control, Harry pinned Draco’s arms above his head, leaning on the limbs while grinding harder.

Eyes closed and kisses stopped in favor of concentrating on the impending climax, Draco strained his neck upwards, biting sharply on the side of Harry’s throat under his ear.

Harry screamed and with uncontrolled, jerky motions lost all control, climaxing in long, hot ribbons all over Draco’s torso. The blond seemed to curl upwards, as the lower half of Draco’s body lifted Harry’s now dead weight off the floor while the top of the blond’s chest arched, his head tilting back toward the floor.

Eyes now open and watching the overwhelmingly erotic show that was Draco Malfoy climaxing, his flaxen hair floating in joined waves of their magic, Harry found his penis twitching once more with just a few more drops of semen that must have come from his toes. The magic swirled around them causing their skin to gooseflesh in the breeze. Practically humming, Draco fell flat against the floor. Their panting seemed insanely loud after what they’d done as their magical energy slowly subsided back to normal levels, yet darker in hue.

Harry eased his hands off Draco’s forearms, hoping he hadn’t hurt the other man in his enthusiasm. The brunet’s fingers found Draco’s and they began to kiss slowly, unhurried and gentle. Draco rolled Harry’s body over until he was smirking down at Harry.

“I let you have that one. Next time, I’m in the driver’s seat,” Draco stated.

“Thank you,” Harry spoke, surprising Draco who had been expecting something far different to be said.

“No witty comeback?” Draco asked, not sure he wanted to know why Potter had just thanked him after mind-blowing sex.

Wiggling a hand free, Harry reached up to cup the back of Draco’s head. Looking at him seriously, he offered. “Maybe next time.”

The look in Harry’s eyes seemed to make that remark an understatement. Draco felt every defense he’d had for Harry’s reaction post-coital shatter.

“I look forward to it,” Draco heard himself say very honestly.

Suddenly intimidated by the wealth of feelings his honesty sent crashing over him, Draco rolled up onto his knees and pulled Harry off the floor.

“Scouring charm or shower?” he queried

Harry smirked. “We’ll probably prune in the water. Scouring charm I think. Hermione’s probably waiting for us anyway.”

Feeling a bit steadier on familiar ground, he caressed Harry’s face with one hand. With the other he was about to cast a cleaning charm when Harry stopped him and pushing his wand hand and dragged a finger of the opposite hand through their combined essence. Draco trembled and almost stopped breathing as Harry wiped the semen over his bottom lip before kissing the blond.

Company could wait just a bit longer, Draco thought, drowning in the kiss.


Lucius fumed angrily as he brushed off imaginary dust from the time spent at the Ministry. It had taken some clever talk, his solicitor’s best defense ploys and a few memory charms to have the elder Malfoy released from the Ministry. Thankfully, the Ministry had been blessedly empty when he’d been detained.

Now, Lucius had plans to make. Between Potter throwing his hat into the ring as a candidate for Minister and Draco making a fool of his father, the older aristocrat had a lot of ground to make up. His teeth grinding together in anger, Lucius Apparated home and kicked the first house elf he encountered. In his anger, the head of the Malfoy family failed to notice the creature ran from the room rather than await his command.

Arrogantly, Lucius strode to the bar, his mind awhirl with repairing his reputation and ideas to avenge himself on his son and that poor-excuse-for-a-wizard Potter. Repairing public relations always left the blond with a bad taste in his mouth, needing three strong drinks to cleanse his palate of the Ministry fiasco. Needless to say, the alcohol dulled elder Malfoy’s senses, not noticing the house elf had failed to return.

Chapter 18 by Keikokin
He had no right to do this!” Ron bellowed loudly, slamming his fists down on the family dining table. The Burrow rattled a bit at this and Molly cuffed him upside the head.

“Sit down, Ronald! This is a discussion for the whole family and not just you! Honestly, where’s Hermione when you need her?” She looked hopefully out to the backyard but there was no sign of her very pregnant daughter-in-law.

“Probably with Potter,” Ron grumbled unhappily.

“Ronald, if you’ll recall, Harry was once your best friend and part of this family and was about to –“

“Marry my brother but instead he’s DEAD AND IT’S ALL POTTER’S FAULT!”

Arthur sighed loudly, causing heads to turn toward him. “We are here to discuss the Foundation. True, Harry didn’t discuss it with us, but it is nice to have Charlie remembered in some way. Don’t you agree, love?” He turned pleading eyes to Molly.

Molly lowered her head. “I agree with both of you. Charlie died for Harry and now Harry is trying to remember him. Perhaps this is a good thing.”

“How can you side with him?” Ron shouted. “HE KILLED CHARLIE!”

“Charlie let his feelings determine his actions,” Hermione said quietly, stepping into the kitchen of the Burrow.

“She’s right. Who’s to say that Harry couldn’t have handled it?” Arthur added with another deep sigh.

“It’s Harry’s fault,” Ron grumbled.

“I say it’s a good idea.” Arthur stated firmly.

“I second that,” Hermione agreed.

“You would,” Ron groused.

“I third it,” Molly said, smiling sadly. “It doesn’t matter anymore, Ronald. What matters is that we don’t forget him.” She turned to look at her youngest son and he was shaken by her matter-of-fact attitude. He got up and stormed from the house. Hermione rolled her eyes, and with a sigh followed him out, once again wishing she’d married someone else. She was surprised when she got outside to see he’d already gone.

A sense of foreboding filled her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lucius Malfoy was plotting and scheming ways to get to Draco, when he was interrupted by the announcement, from a butler, of a visitor. Curious as to who would have the unmitigated gall to visit unannounced, Lucius strode quickly to the main door. Curiosity was soon replaced by astonishment to see one of the Weasleys at his entrance

“What could possibly bring you here, Weasley?” Lucius snapped, not really caring which one he was speaking to.

“I want Potter out of my life and away from my wife.” Ronald sneered.

“Do I look like an assassin?” Lucius spat.

“No, you look like an ex-Death Eater who wants to find his son and I know where he is.” Ron smirked. “Care to make a deal?”

“I’m listening.” Lucius folded his arms over his chest. The night was definitely looking up.


Draco pressed his hands against Harry’s chest, pushing him away. “We can’t.” The kiss had blinded him, as had their earlier activity; but it didn’t stop the pain in his chest. He was a Malfoy, damnit. He hadn’t settled for second best before and he wasn’t about to start now. Not when things had a real chance of success. He was not going to foul this up!

“What? Can’t what?” Harry asked, trying to pull Draco back into his arms. Confusion was evident on his face at the sudden stop to their sexual playtime.

“I am not going to let you do something you might regret in the morning. God, I sound like a bloody girl!” Draco threw up his arms, freeing himself and turning away. He quickly gathered his clothes and dressed quickly, wishing he could use his magic.

“Draco, please I’m not going to –“ Harry reached out but was met with an increased space between them. His empty arms fell back to his side.

The blond held up a hand. “Look, let’s at least research the bond a bit more. There’s nothing wrong with getting off, but let’s hold off on the deed. I just feel kind of used.”

“Used?” Harry asked in confusion.

Draco pointed at the bed. “There’s still someone in there, and I don’t want to try to be a substitute. I’m Draco Malfoy. Malfoy, remember? Because I’m not sure you’ve thought this through, Harry. You used to hate me. Maybe part of you still does. All I know is what you are offering is tempting, but it’s not enough.” With a look of regret, he finished dressing and left the room, leaving a very confused Harry staring at the now closed door.


Hermione was too tired to go the convention route to Harry’s. So, she decided to take a carriage to Hogsmeade before catching the connecting transport. She was half-asleep when she arrived in Hogsmeade and wearily made the connection.

The carriage pulled up to its destination. She was fully asleep at this point and didn’t notice when she was placed into the arms of a rather familiar dark-haired man. Using a slight levitation charm, he carried her to his private rooms and laid her down upon his own bed. Wistfully, he sat at her side and began to whisper his true feelings.

“You have no idea how much I wish those children were mine …Hermione. That sniffling idiot you call a husband isn’t worth your time. If only I could go back and …but I am being a foolish old man, begrudging what he can’t change. At least I can be with you for now and take care of you.” He brushed aside her hair and kissed her forehead gently.

She stirred in her sleep with a smile and continued to dream of her dark-haired savior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Draco?” Harry nervously approached the blond, touching his shoulder briefly and causing him to turn.

“You still love him,” Draco said flatly crossing his arms over his chest. “How can I compete with that?”

“But I understand now, thanks to you. And I want to be here with you, not with some ghost,” Harry pleaded.

“How can I know that for sure?” Draco asked, pain lancing his words.

“I – I don’t know what I can do,” Harry whispered.

“Look, you don’t love me and after you’re elected you won’t need me around. Maybe this was a bad idea –UGH!” Draco dropped to his knees clutching his stomach.

“DRACO!” Harry cried out wrapping his arms around the blond. “What is it? What’s wrong? Should I call someone?”

“Not… safe,” Draco groaned before passing out cold in Harry’s arms.

Harry cast some simple diagnostic charms in an effort to find out what was hurting Draco. But it was to no avail. He sent out his Patronus to find Snape; it was all he could think to do. A strange sense of dizziness overcame him and he too fell to the floor.

Chapter 19 by Keikokin

Hermione stirred in her sleep. The twins were kicking hard and she had to use the loo. Sitting up, she realized that she was somewhere unfamiliar. Then, it came to her; the carriage ride to Hogsmeade and falling asleep. But she had been headed somewhere…

 

“You're up,” a familiar deep baritone voice from her dreams washed over her. “Can I get you anything? Juice, perhaps?”

 

“Severus!” Suddenly, all of the previous day came back to her. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to fall asleep like that. I hope I wasn’t an imposition.”

 

“None, whatsoever, or else I would have let you know, which I did not. I am quite capable of expressing my displeasure. However, I do feel that it is now my duty to see you safely home and explain the reason for your disappearance.”

 

“I was on the way to Harry’s, but I was so tired.” She rubbed her face tiredly and Severus tried not to feel endeared by the simple gesture. “I thought perhaps I could use your Floo.” Hermione explained in a rush while trying to now smooth her hands over her hair.

 

That dolt Weasley doesn’t deserve her. If he ever hurts her, so help me, Severus thought internally.

 

Outwardly, he took a deep breath. “Of course.” After a quick cup of tea on his part and juice on hers, they parted ways. Severus had just been called to an emergency meeting of the Order and Hermione needed to leave for Harry’s. The older man tried not to dwell on how comfortable they seemed to be together and berated his feelings, pushing them down with a forced self-control as he stepped through the Floo for his own destination, after her. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ron’s gone,” Fred and George chorused together nervously as they re-entered the Burrow.

 

Molly looked up from the table. “What do you mean, dears?”

 

“He’s left already, mum. We have no idea where he’s gone to either. We were going to follow him and calm him down.” George announced. Fred picked up the tale, in the way they had of talking. ”It’s just that I have the worst feeling.” He seemed to vibrate with this, even clenching and unclenching his hands together.

 

“I’ll go,” Arthur announced. He left the house and quickly performed a tricky tracking charm he’d learned being in the Order. It allowed you to track someone and dimly see where they were and even listen in for a few seconds to be able to narrow down the location. It was very short lived, a minute, nothing more, but was invaluable with as many children as he and Molly had in their family.

 

Through the mist that was created by the spell, Arthur looked through the soupy mess and saw his son standing in front of Lucius Malfoy. He staggered back then and quickly came back to his senses, listening intently to what was being said. In horrified shock, he heard his son make a deal to get Harry Potter out of their lives. As the spell ended, he barely registered it.

 

Numbly, he made his way back into the Burrow. “Arthur dear, what’s wrong?” Molly asked, suddenly appearing at his side. She helped him sit down. “What’s happened? ARTHUR!” She shrieked at last with alarm, clearly in a state and not being able to get a reaction out of her husband.

 

The yelling finally broke the senior Weasley from his reverie. “We have to call a meeting of the Order.”

 

She blinked in surprise. “Arthur?”

 

“Molly, I only want to say this once and time is of the essence.” Arthur said in a stern manner, indicating the importance. Molly knew that tone all too well. With a nod, she hastened to make the necessary fire calls.

 

Ten minutes later a rushed and concerned looking Order of the Phoenix had convened. Arthur stood at the head of his dining room table looking grim. “I have something to say that I never thought I’d say, much less about one of my own. But Ron has gone to Lucius Malfoy, selling out Draco’s location because he wants Lucius to get Harry away from Hermione.”

 

“WHAT!?” Molly screamed. “HE’D NEVER DO THAT!”

 

“Molly.” Arthur reached over and took her hands. “I can put it in a pensive for you, but he did, he has, and we have to figure out how to protect Harry.”

 

“And Draco,” Fred and George muttered together. They were currently the youngest member of the Order, but were a bit quiet yet since they were still uncomfortable. Looking around, they could see the other members of the Order had been shocked into silence.

 

Minerva finally broke the heavy silence after a few minutes. “I know they’ve had fights before but I never thought that Ron and Harry would ever come to this. What do you think made him do it?”

 

“He’s holding on to the belief that Harry killed Charlie. We’ve talked to him repeatedly but it makes no difference. It’s caused this. He probably believes he’s choosing sides to protect Hermione.” Arthur said with quiet shame. “Now, who knows where Draco Malfoy is, besides Ron?”

 

“I’ll find out,” Molly said, pondering Hermione’s picture on the mantle. Woman’s intuition told her Hermione knew much more than she was letting on to the rest of them. But she was too young to be included in the Order meeting and was last known to be visiting Harry.

 

Minerva saw where her gaze was directed and gave a short nod. “Right then; you do that, Molly. I’m going to contact Harry and ask that he go into hiding, preferably with a secret keeper.”

 

“He can’t do that. We need him to run for Minister,” Severus’ quiet tone carried like a wave through the room and suddenly all eyes were upon him.

 

“Minister? Harry?” Fred asked in surprise.

 

“Regardless, he must be protected, perhaps even more so if he wants to go head-to-head against Lucius Malfoy.” Minerva nudged Molly under the table and the red-head stood and went outside, taking the hint immediately. Minerva bent in front of the fire and used it to inform Harry of the situation.

   Meanwhile, Ron and Lucius had come to an agreement. Ron was quite pleased with how it turned out. Lucius had agreed to deal with Harry, getting him away from Hermione. The fact that he would be getting his son at the same time was of little consequence to Ron. Despite the fact that Hermione had sworn him to secrecy, wasn’t it more important that she be protected from people like Potter?  

Acting under cover of darkness, Lucius would be moving in tonight on Potter’s house. Ron had asked that Harry be warned away and with a glint in his eye, Lucius said, “Done.” The red-head never heard Lucius chuckling to himself as he carefully manipulated the young man in front of him with practiced ease.

 

Ron had no idea he had just signed the death warrants for Draco and Harry.

    

 


Chapter 20 by Keikokin
Your Fellow Man, Chapter 20

Hermione arrived at Harry’s and wasn’t surprised he wasn’t around. In truth, she had expected it. The waves of desire between Harry and Draco had been a bit thick at times. So she sat in her favorite chair with a cup of tea, smirking toward the ceiling. She pointed her wand toward it. “Finite Incantatum.” Satisfied that any silencing spells the two had employed would now be dissolved she put her wand away.

And waited.
There were no sounds coming from upstairs at all. A chill ran up her back along with a sense of foreboding. She rose to her feet and took out her wand once more. Slowly she crept upon the floors of the house her wand extended carefully before her. The twins, sensing her anxiety, kicked hard slowing her progress for several moments.
While stopped she took stock of her situation. Draco and Harry seemed to be missing. She was alone with a possible intruder in the house. And she was pregnant with twins. “I’m acting like a textbook Gryffindor, rushing in without thinking,” she whispered aloud berating her inability to fight at this time. It was better to go for help. With a sigh, she crept out as silently as possible to go for help

Ron returned to the Burrow, not realizing that he’d been missed. He was beyond surprised when an angry mob of red-haired family members had suddenly surrounded him. “Uh, hi guys.”
“DON’T YOU DARE BE FLIPPANT WITH US YOUNG MAN!!” Molly Weasley bellowed. “WE KNOW WHERE YOU WERE AND THAT YOU’VE GONE OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE! HOW COULD YOU RONALD BILIUS WEASLEY! YOUR OWN FATHER WORKS AT THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC. YOU’VE BETRAYED YOUR FAMILY AND HAVE ENDANGERED THE LIVES OF BOTH HARRY AND DRACO!”
“But mum!” Ron sputtered.
“I am in complete agreement with your mother Ron.” Arthur stated in a cool flat tone. “Even when your brother Percy turned his back on us, he didn’t leave us to go consort with a KNOWN DEATH EATER! You know what Lucius Malfoy is Ron “ EVIL!”
Mutters of consensus surrounded Ron. He tried to disapparate out only to find some sort of shield had been erected. “House Arrest, I’d say Ronniekins,” the twins chorused together and quite happily frog-marched him to his room and locked him in securely. Upon arriving back outside a new discussion began to take place, how to warn Harry in time.
It was just as they were really getting rolling with ideas, that Hermione waddled out from the house, one hand on her swollen belly. “Something’s wrong at Harry’s!” she shouted to one and all. Tears began to roll down her cheeks as Molly hugged her soothingly. “Had to leave…protect the twins…should have stayed…I could have found out why it was so quiet,” she wailed between great heaving sobs of guilt and anguish.
“Now, now dear. You did the right thing and protected those babies.” With a mere head nod to the men assembled they knew they’d been dispatched to help Harry. Cracks of apparition filled the air before Molly gently escorted Hermione back into the house for a cup of chamomile tea. Exhaustion and nerves had caught up with Hermione at last and she was soon tucked in for a nap.

When the Weasley’s arrived at Harry’s they were surprised to find that Severus had beaten them there. They’d forgotten all about the Order meeting and that he had witnessed the airing of all their dirty laundry. It made for an awkward moment, until they felt the quiet pressure in the house which more than anything spurred them into action. Severus and Arthur split the group of youngsters into two groups, one to search the first floor and the other to search the top floor.
It was Arthur who literally stumbled into the pair who were unconscious on the floor with looks of pain upon their faces. Severus heard the sound and followed him into the room, albeit far more gracefully. With wand drawn he looked at Arthur, who was blushing wildly while trying to climb to his feet. Severus thought momentarily about helping him up but then thought better of it. He pointed his wand at the two, “ENERVATE.”
Harry and Draco groaned, sitting up slowly and looking peaked. “What happened?” Draco was the first to ask, wincing at what an obvious question it was. “I gather I collapsed?”
“Yeah,” Harry answered rubbing his head. “Are you okay Draco?”
Draco nodded slowly. “You?”
Severus rolled his eyes. “If you are quite done with your mutual concern, would either of you care to hazard a guess as to what happened?”
“I don’t know,” Harry replied simply.
“Let’s ask your house elf,” Arthur suggested, earning a modicum of respect from Severus.
Harry called for him and Dobby appeared before them all. Taking in the fact that both Harry and Draco were still sitting on the floor he was overcome with concern. “Master! Is you alright? Was it the Black magic? Did one of you tell an untruth?” Dobby pulled at his ears anxiously.
“Of course,” Severus whispered. “It’s a certainty that’s precisely what happened.”
A crowd of heads appeared at the door, belonging to the other searches. “Good thing you’re okay!” Fred and George declared together happily.
“What’s this about Black magic?” Arthur asked curiously.
With a sigh, Severus filled him in on the situation as Harry and Draco made their way to their feet, albeit unsteadily. “Right,” Fred looked at them both. “Then who lied?” He glared accusingly at Draco.
“Does it matter when our own Ronniekins has betrayed him?” George asked in return.
“What?” Harry asked in mind-numbing confusion.
“It’s true Harry. Ron has gone to Lucius to get him to eliminate Draco from your life.” Arthur looked at Draco sadly. “I’m sorry Draco. I had no idea-“
“Ron,” Harry whispered still in shock.
“Harry, snap out of it. My father could be on his way over here. We won’t have a better opportunity than this to catch him in the act.” Draco said quickly, dropping to a hushed tone.
A chill ran up Severus’ spine and he hushed them all with an angry hiss. Instantly wands were all pointed toward the bedroom door. With a flurry of hand motions they were soon all spread out.
Harry and Draco shared a look of silent communication before they both jumped into the bed and covered themselves, as the distinctive creak of stairs indicated they definitely had a visitor. The sounds crept ever closer and everyone could feel the tension building. Severus made one last hand movement indicating they all stay put.
A shadow filled the door, but they all held their places despite the burning desire to jump. It wasn’t until the wand of the person entering was raised toward the lumpy bed that a cry echoed around the room, “NOW!”
Several things happened at once and time seemed to slow down.
It happened just as the words from Lucius spilled out, “Avada Kedavra.“
Harry shoved Draco out of the bed with all his might, as a green glow covered the bed.
“NO!” Draco screamed, shooting his own killing spell toward his father.

The bed went still, Lucius dropped seconds before the twins pushed him to the floor. Severus bound Lucius and Arthur petrified him.
Then all eyes were focused on the blond on the bed, cradling Harry to his chest and crying.
“Is he?” someone whispered, even as they all thought it.
Draco wailed in agony and collapsed on top of Harry, strands of magic filling the air around him. Dobby entered the room and took in the scene. He pointed a glowing finger at the duo and everyone held their breath, wondering if the Black magic had claimed them both.
A shudder, a groan, a simultaneous sigh of relief and Fred or George announced happily. “Looks like they made it!”
End Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to get the chapters straightened out again. I hope it takes this time!

Chapter 21 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
thank you Queen Morgan and Silverhope.
Lucius Malfoy lay on the floor, his unseeing eyes staring up at the ceiling. Severus kicked him for good measure. A million memories went through his head, but Lucius had never been able to resist constantly scheming for more power.

“I killed my father,” a soft raspy whisper from behind him. Severus turned back to Draco, who was sitting up wrapped in Potter’s arms on the bed, reverse of their former position. He did his best to disregard that little fact.

“You saved Harry,” Fred announced. “Gone way up in my book you have.”

Harry squeezed Draco tightly. “I’m so sorry Draco.”

The blond looked up into Harry’s face, from where he’d been curled up into his chest. “You mean that don’t you?”

“Of course I did. He was still your father. No one should have to do that, much less for me.” Harry’s face was filled with sadness.

“I couldn’t lose you,” Draco whispered. He turned back into Harry’s chest and pointedly ignored the fact that he was crying.

In the background, the room started to clear out. It was obvious to all that the two needed some time together. Severus and Arthur transported Lucius’ body downstairs, before contacting the Ministry. Fred and George were unhappy to have to leave the scene of the crime but couldn’t get over their joy at the death of Lucius Malfoy.

A red-eyed Draco Malfoy came down the stairs much later with Harry glued to his side. Harry looked at the assembly and cleared his throat. “I’m going to testify on Draco’s behalf. This wasn’t his fault.”

“Of course it wasn’t,” Arthur said in his cheerful way. “But a trial won’t be necessary. Severus and I have already spoken to the Ministry. They seemed quite relieved actually.”

“Quite,” Severus echoed. “Draco, the Manor is now yours. Will you be moving back?”

Harry’s grip grew tighter. He hadn’t thought of that. But Malfoy Manor was Draco’s ancestral home. The blond probably missed the luxuries it afforded, such as a herd of servants. With a gulp, he did what he knew Draco couldn’t do for himself. “Yes, he is.”

“Harry?” Draco asked pushing away from him. “Did you want me to go?”

“Aww isn’t that cute. Ickle Harrykins is in love,” George gushed.

“I think Ickle Dracokins is too,” Fred sighed and the two of them did a dramatic swoon together.

“Please, some of us have recently eaten,” Severus growled.

“Harry? Is that true?” Draco asked at the same time Harry asked, “Draco?”

Severus rolled his eyes. “That’s quite enough. Mr. Potter when your emotions are under control once more we can discuss your campaign.” He strode briskly out of the house.

“Time to go boys!” Arthur said cheerily. “I do believe you have a brother-gone-wrong to prank?”

The grins shared by the twins made both Harry and Draco shiver. Leaving en masse the Weasleys departed.

Harry released Draco to arms length to look him in the eye. “It’s over Draco. You can go home if you want to. I don’t want you to lose that place; I know what it means to you.”
Draco was silent. Harry pressed on. “I’ll still run for office if that’s what you want. Although I think you’d be better at it.”

Draco snorted at that, shaking his head. “No thanks. Besides you don’t know a thing.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

Draco sighed and began to count off of his fingers. “One, no one will ever want a Malfoy in office and that’s fine by me. Two, everyone will want you in office. You might as well move into the Ministry and be done with it. Three, no one will want to see me at your side…”

“Who doesn’t know anything? Draco you’re gorgeous but thick! I love you!” Harry smiled happily. “I don’t really want to be Minister either. This was all shoved on to me, remember?”

“Hmm, okay so no Ministry. And I’ll only move home on one condition.” Draco announced crossing his arms. “You move in with me. There’s no way I can …especially now.” Draco looked over his shoulder, but Harry knew he was holding back more tears.

“I have another idea.” Harry put forth. “Let’s get a place together.”

Draco laughed. “That will go over big I’m sure. People will think I put Imperious on you.”

“Too bad, look this place is okay when it was just me. But I want you in my life.”

“Thanks to Black family magic, you are STUCK with me in your life Potter.” Draco looked down unhappily.

Harry lifted his chin. “Lucky me,” he whispered before kissing Draco soundly.


Time went on. Hermione and Snape found out they were related, cousins actually, which explained their odd attraction toward one another as well as Hermione's attention to detail.
Hermione gave birth to her twins, with “Uncle Severus” on hand.

With lessons from Severus she ruled the roost so firmly that Ron finally gave in and became quite docile, never fighting with anyone again. Although it took a very long time to recover from the numerous pranks his brothers had set upon him, especially the blinking tattoo on his forehead that proclaimed happily for several months, “I am a wanker!” But it finally faded after a few months. The pink hair had stayed but the polka dots in it had faded.

Snape finally found a nice German Potions Professor and settled down not long after Draco and Harry bought their rambling home in Wales, overlooking the coast. His newly born second cousins came to visit quite often.

Harry and Draco had learned an important lesson that day Lucius died. No matter how trivial it seemed, they never lied to each other again. They always talked and communicated, putting their love for each other first. Their love for their fellow man had been the catalyst for so much and they rarely communicated with anyone outside of their friends, preferring the quiet calm that was their life.

Their love had flourished, and became the stuff of legend teaching all it was heaven on earth to love their fellow man and to love them well.
End Notes:
I will admit that this one got away from me - big time. So my apologies for my waywardness. What I wanted to do with this one and what happened were two different things. However, I hope it was fluffy enough for my regular readers, to which I owe so very, very much.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=970.