Cupid's Helper by Keikokin (PG)
Jack is ordered to undergo therapy, where he discovers himself. (also titled "Therapy")

Categories: Jack/Daniel
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 10259 - Hits: 3550
Complete?: Yes - Published: 03/01/06 - Last Updated: 03/01/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
***

General Hammond looked with concern at the two men, both of whom were members of the elite SG-1 team, Doctor Jackson and Colonel O'Neill. "Gentlemen, it has come to my attention that you both have been at each other's throats lately and I would like an explanation as to why." He folded his hands, sat back and waited. As expected Doctor Daniel Jackson was the first to speak.

"I don't know why sir. We used to be good friends." Daniel almost whispered.

"Maybe if you'd listen once in awhile instead of running off half-cocked for your god damned moral issues I wouldn't be so pissed at you all the time!" Jack yelled suddenly the veins in his neck and forehead sticking out in rage.

"JACK!" the General yelled. Still looking furious the Colonel sat back. Not surprisingly as the General looked at Daniel Jackson he thought he saw tears welling up in the young man's eyes. The young man wore his heart on his sleeve. Over the past few years Colonel Jack O'Neill had become the heavens and the earth to the man.

Anyone could see it was the worst case of hero worship in history. It was even quite possible the young man was head over heels in love with the Colonel. He looked between them both wondering where to start. Well at least the issue was out in the open now. Question was, what the hell do to about it? Sequester them until they made up or killed each other? Separated them? It would be unfair to the SG1 team but maybe it was for the best. Luckily, he had an ace up his sleeve.

"You have known for a long time Jack that Daniel is the conscience of SG1. There was a time when you admired that. But as your commanding officer I see no other resolution for this. As of right now Daniel I think it best you stay here at SGC for awhile, unless you'd rather take advantage of this invitation?" He slid the letter to Daniel who went from verge of tears to looking like all his prayers had been answered.

"Sir?" Jack growled.

Looking sternly at Jack the General filled him in, "Seems word of Doctor Jackson's invaluable service with the US Government has trickled out. He has been invited to a prestigious event in Los Angeles."

"Why wasn't I informed?" Jack was still growling.

"Because with his temporary if not permanent removal from your team it is no longer your concern." The General said this in a clear clipped tone. "Doctor Jackson please go meet with SG2." Jack made to get up too, but the general said calmly. "SIT JACK." Daniel looked at Jack sadly then nodded at the General as he left the office.

The General made sure the door was closed behind Daniel before he began. "What am I going to do with you Jack? You have the worst temper of any of my CO's! It's your job to keep the team together, not force it apart. Doctor Jackson is the best in his field and belongs on SG1. Hell, he's earned it! While seniority dictates he be placed on another team, I am seriously thinking of booting you down to Major and making Major Carter in charge of SG1. I may even go so far as to have you placed on another team. You are the problem here. That young man may have the worse case of hero worship yet but you've dealt with it before. I seem to remember Major Carter tripping over her own tongue to get to you. However the military might feel about male/male relationships I'd rather see stars in Doctor Jackson's eyes when he is around you then tears! If this program loses his skill and expertise because of your bullheaded, arrogant, insufferable, unbending attitude I will have you booted from this program. IS THAT CLEAR?"

"But General!" Jack yelled.

"Don't. Even. Start. Jack. You are on probation starting now. As part of that probation you are going into therapy."

"WHAT?" Jack screamed.

"Shut up Colonel or should I start calling you Major?" General Hammond growled.

"No sir." Jack grunted.

"One other thing, actually make it two. When Doctor Jackson returns you will win back his friendship and if at all possible his respect as highly unlikely as that is! And secondly, don't you dare pin this on him. This mess is your own as a commanding officer who should ACT LIKE ONE GOD DAMNIT!" Several officers who were passing by stopped at this. Jack winced. News of his chewing out would be all over the base by dinner. "Now get the hell out of my sight!"

Jack got up dejectedly and slumped out of the office. No sooner then he got in his office an airman delivered a letter to him. Sighing Jack opened it to see he was scheduled for therapy at 1800 hours. He groaned. "So much for chow." Putting his face in his palms he wondered how he ever let it come to this.

There was a knock at the door and the same time it was flung open by one angry looking Major Carter. Jack groaned. "Is it true Sir? SG1 is grounded? Is Daniel leaving the program? Someone said he was packing up!"

"Carter will you please stop yelling?" Jack groaned.

"What about Daniel?" she persisted.

"He's going away for awhile." Jack said softly. "SG1 might be breaking up."

"BUT WHY SIR?" Carter yelled fretfully.

"Me. " Jack said softly. "Because I can't keep my temper or my team together and I may soon have to salute you. Get the picture?" Carters mouth open and shut a few times before she nodded and left looking awkward. With a look to his watch Jack got up and dragged himself to his first therapy session. He was grateful the office was one that was out of the way. Jack entered like it was a death sentence.

###

"Colonel O'Neill I presume?" asked a blond man in his mid to late forties. Jack nodded. "I'm Michael. Let's just leave this on a first name basis." The man took off his Colonel's dress jacket and put it on a hook. Jack looked around for a couch and didn't see any. "You can sit down." He pointed to a chair next to a long table and Jack wondered not for the first time if all conference rooms in the base looked the same. The man pushed some paper at him with his choice of colored pencils or crayons. With a childlike excitement Jack's hand shot out for the crayons.

"Draw me a picture of how you feel Jack." The Colonel drew a doodle of a P-90. Then shoved it across the table. Michael looked at it flipped the page and shoved it back. "Close your eyes and doodle." Jack looked at the man in exasperation. "How the hell do you draw without looking at the damn paper?" Michael looked at him. "Humor me." Jack groaned and closed his eyes. Then he shoved the paper back at Michael. The man spun it around then said, "Now we are getting somewhere. Tell me Jack, are you in love at the moment?"

"No. Where the hell did you get that idea?" Jack snapped. 'This is such a waste of time,' he thought. Michael took out a red crayon and began to color in Jack's picture. Then he slid it back at Jack. "Fuck." Jack looked down at a perfect picture of a broken heart.

"Anything that is said here stays here Jack. All I have to do at the end of our sessions is tell General Hammond if you are fit to command or not. So care to tell me who it is?"

"I told you I'm not in god damned love with anyone. This is a waste of time! Why the hell am I even here?" Jack yelled.

"Because you want to stay a Colonel? For someone who isn't in love that sure sounded like hurt in your voice." Michael sat back in his chair. "So tell me about your team mates Jack. I hear Major Carter is a real looker."

Jack smiled. "Yeah she is and throws a mean right hook too. Good soldier Carter. But if you want her there's a long line and she's a real brain."

Michael nodded. "And what about… Teal'c is it?"

"Don't know what I'd do without the big guy to back me up. Hell of a tracker too. Best poker face I've seen. Good soldier."
"Anyone else on your team Jack?" Michael asked carefully. "Not anymore."

Michael took note Jack had gone back to doodling without even being asked. He walked around to see Jack had drawn a pair of eyes. Gently Michael pushed the box of crayons closer to the Colonel. Jack reached out took out a few shades of blue without even noticing what he was doing. Michael didn't say a word but let the Colonel continue to draw. After a bit Michael said carefully. "Was there another member to your team Jack?" Nodding Jack continued to draw. "Were you two close Jack?" First Jack nodded then he shook his head. "So you were close once?" Jack nodded. "Was your other team member Daniel Jackson?" Jack whispered, "Danny boy. " Michael made a few notes. "Was that your nickname for Daniel?" Jack continued to draw. "Did anyone else call him that?" Jack looked up angrily. "Better not. Look can I go now? I want to grab some chow." Michael nodded taking the paper quickly before Jack looked at it again. "I want to see you thirty minutes prior to each meal. Goodbye Jack." Smirking Jack said. "Later Mike."

Closing the door Michael looked at the doodle. Jack had drawn a picture of the most amazing blue eyes Michael had ever seen. He opened up the folder on SG1 and quickly thumbed through it until he found the picture of Doctor Jackson. The eyes were a perfect match, one that Jack had used several crayons to achieve. He sighed and went to find the General. It only took about ten minutes. There was a very upset looking blonde woman in his office that he recognized as Major Samantha Carter. Jack was right she was beautiful and looked tough as nails. Michael nodded on the door and the General looked at him with relief. "Doctor! Please come in. You are excused Major." Samantha scowled and turned on her heel in a huff.

The General motioned that he close the door. "So how's Jack?"

"He'll be okay in time. Tell me do you know what the basis of what the animosity between he and Doctor Jackson is?" The General shook his head. "Your best guess then."

The General shuffled some papers and said, "He may have seen the hero worship Doctor Jackson once had for him and decided this was the best way to put a stop to it."

"You say Doctor Jackson used to admire the Colonel but stopped?" The General nodded. "That about sums it up."

"Can you give me a time frame for when that ended?" The General made face and stroked his chin. "About the same time the Doctor was released from the infirmary the last time." Michael stood and thanked the General for his time and went to the infirmary.

"Doctor Frasier may I ask you a few questions?" The pretty petite brunette flashed him a brilliant smile. Michael realized he really needed to get out and socialize more. He introduced himself and started in on the questions. "When Doctor Jackson was last in the infirmary did he have any visitors?"

"Oh Sam, Teal'c, the General and his shadow of course," she giggled. "Shadow?" Michael asked. "Jack makes it his point to be sole bodyguard every time Daniel is in here."

"Is that often, that Daniel is in here?" Janet laughed. "Hell I've thought of naming a wing after him. I've thought about giving Jack his own bed too. He's fallen asleep at Daniel's side more often then I can count."

"What about when Jack's teammates are in here? Is he their bodyguard too?" Janet shook her head with a smile. "I'm not saying that Jack doesn't come to see them, he does. It just seems that he takes it so hard, personally I mean, when Daniel gets hurt. I've lost sleep over the young man myself. He gets hurt, he almost dies, then he does die, then he comes back then he is right back getting hurt again. Poor Jack has gone completely gray over it."

"How would you describe it when Jack is hurt? Is Daniel also that attentive?" Janet laughed again. "It's the only time his nose is out of his books. Can't tell you the amount of tissues I've gone through when Jack is hurt. I've had to sedate Daniel to get him to rest. Luckily they seem to get hurt in a pair!"

"So how do you explain the fighting and distance between them lately?" Michael asked. Janet frowned. "I honestly don't know. Suddenly it was if Jack just snapped. One day he's in here on the verge of a nervous breakdown begging Daniel to open his eyes and the next he's chewing Daniel out like I'd never seen before. And poor Daniel just started to shrivel up. Losing Jack's respect and friendship is just killing him." Janet sniffed. Michael thanked her then went to find Teal'c.

After brief introductions to the intimidating man he began his questions. Knowing from his files he was a straightforward man that was how he made his questions. "What do you think of Doctor Jackson's relationship to Colonel O'Neill?" Teal'c tilted his head then said, "Doctor Jackson is greatly affected by everything Colonel O'Neill says to him." Michael nodded then asked, "Is Colonel O'Neill also affected by Doctor Jackson in this manner?"

"Indeed he is. Colonel O'Neill is greatly disturbed when Daniel Jackson takes unnecessary risks. He is most accident prone."

Knowing Teal'c was not hindered by Earth's mores Michael asked. "Would you say they loved each other?"

"Greatly. Yet I do not understand why they do not admit it to each other. They should celebrate a rite of union and be secure in their knowledge before it is too late." Michael frowned. "Too late?" Teal'c nodded. "Those of us on the SGC teams understand that we may die at anytime. It is the way of the warrior. When a warrior's heart fills with love instead of the cause of battle they are soon lost to all. I have seen it in many battles. It is not wise to keep them on the battlefield."

Michael gulped, thanked him and went to get a cup of coffee. He was shaken by what the big man had stated so plainly. His thoughts were interrupted by a soft voice. "Doctor Brinkley?" Michael looked up to see a pair of startling blue eyes the same ones he'd seen captured by Colonel O'Neill only hours ago. "Doctor Jackson I presume?" Daniel smiled forcibly and introduced himself then asked if he could sit down. Michael smiled.

"I know you have to adhere to patient confidentiality but is Jack going to be okay?" the blue eyes were full of an anxious plea. Michael nodded. "Oh thank god. I've been so worried. He's just been a ball of nerves lately and I don't know why. At first I thought it might be repressed anger toward me for being so accident-prone but it seems so much deeper than that. We used to be so close and now he seems to genuinely hate me." The young man hung his head and Michael was filled with sympathy for the man.

"When you were close friends how did you spend your time together? You two seem so universally different. What did you have in common?" Daniel looked up and smiled brightly. "Oh we would take turns. We'd hang out, order in some pizza, watch the History Channel and then football. Sometimes we'd go to a double feature, first a foreign film for me and then an action film for Jack. But we seemed to like just talking the best. We could talk for hours late into the night to the point where I'd end up crashing on the couch. It was great." Suddenly Daniel shut down again and hung his head. "I guess those days are gone for good, maybe I should just find some dig on the other side of the globe."

"How did the fighting start?" Michael asked carefully noticing Jack had sat down a few tables away occasionally stealing glances at Daniel. Running his hands through his hair Daniel said, "It was my fault. I screwed up again. It seems I don't do anything right. I disobeyed another order and almost got my tail shot off again but those people needed our help!"

"Do you want to leave SG1?" Michael asked. "NO, well not exactly," Daniel answered. "Do you think Major Carter won't be able to handle it without you?" Daniel laughed. "Sam? No. Hell between her and Teal'c they could take on the Go'uld themselves!" Michael nodded. "Does Colonel O'Neill need you on the team?" Daniel hung his head then got up. He looked over his shoulder where Jack had been sitting as if he knew he'd been there the entire time. When he turned again to answer the blue eyes startling in their intensity. "He used to."

Michael saw Jack leave a minute after Daniel following in the same direction. He thought about going after them to make sure there wouldn't be another fight when Major Carter plopped down next to him fixing him in her stare. "Major?"

"So is the Colonel a nut job or what?" she asked bluntly. Michael chuckled. "No, he's not." She frowned. "So what's the deal?" Michael shrugged as if he didn't know when he had a very good idea of what was going on. "You know what I think it is?" Michael shook his head. "I think the Colonel is tired of Daniel being sweet on him. So he's giving him the heave-ho. No place for that in this military, am I right?" She nodded happy with herself and got up just as suddenly as she'd sat down and strode away.

"Damn military brats," Michael whispered and went to his office. He was closing up for the day when there was a knock at his door. "Hello Doctor Jackson, ready for your trip?" Daniel frowned looking awkward. Michael smiled and reached into his jacket. "If while you're away you have anything more to add to our conversation or want to inquire on Jack's progress you can IM me or email me at anytime." Daniel smiled and then pulled out a card handing it to Michael. "He is going to be okay isn't he?" Michael gave his best smile. "I promise. He just needs to get a few things off his chest. Then I think your friendship will be as good as new." Daniel beamed and said goodbye.

Michael wasn't surprised when he logged on to the Internet that night to find an email already waiting from Daniel Jackson.

Doctor Brinkley,

I just wanted to let you know that my cell phone number is 342-211-7765. Please don't hesitate to call me if anything happens with Jack. If I'm on the plane I'll have to turn it off but you can still text message. Please let me know if there's any progress or anything I can do to help Jack.

Sincerely,
Daniel Jackson

###

When Jack came in his office for his appointment he looked like a beaten dog. "Hello Jack. Did Daniel catch his flight in time?" Nodding Jack said, "Went off perfectly." He sighed. "Did you drive him to the airport?" Jack nodded. "Did he tell you he sent me an email?" Jack blinked. "Why?" Michael smiled and turned his computer around to show it to Jack. Smiling while reading this, Jack seemed to brighten. Michael slid the paper across to Jack again and let him doodle. This time when Michael looked at it he saw a picture of an airplane. He reached into his briefcase and pulled out a blue journal and slid it over to the Colonel. "What's this?"

"I want you to realize for a moment that this book is safe, which it is incidentally. This is your book. I will give it to you each time we meet." He slid across a pen to Jack. "Ever written a letter, a poem or even a rhyme Jack?" Blushing Jack admitted to having written a poem or two. "Great. Write in this journal. You don't have to say WHO it is to, just write."

Jack took the book and wrote for sometime. When he put the book down Michael handed him back the drawing pad and crayons. Jack smiled in obvious preference of doodling over writing. Michael let him go after the drawing was done and waited for the door to close to read the journal.

Forgive me
I can't seem to let you go
The pain is too much
One I never wanted to know
Azure
Sapphire
Royal
Never describe the levels of blue
When I look inside of you
Laugh again
Smile again
Visit again
Forgive

Shaking his head he wondered how these two men had managed not to fall apart without admitting their respective feelings up to this point. He looked at the picture of a dove. He flipped open his laptop and sent an email.

Daniel,

Jack came to his session this morning as promised. He's a rather good poet and artist, though doodling seems to be his preference. Your email of obvious concern made him very happy, as he seemed rather depressed at your departure. He's very cooperative in session. I will keep you posted if you like.

Michael Brinkley

###

When Jack arrived for his next session Michael slid across the pad of paper and Jack went at it with a vengeance. Michael looked at this with concern. It was a picture of personnel being shot to death in the hallways. Then he slid the journal across with trepidation. As Jack finished he heard the sound of his IM going off. He flipped open his computer and saw it was "Digger Dan."

Dr Doodle: Hello Daniel

Digger Dan: Hi, how's Jack?

Dr Doodle: He's right here would you like to talk to him?

Digger Dan: Really? Could I?

Dr. Doodle: Sure. Here he is.

"There's someone on the IM for you Jack," Michael smiled and turned the laptop around while he read the poem of the moment.

I hate them all
They took you away
What am I supposed to do?
Too much coffee
Usually not enough
How dare they speak of you
Come back to me
My boy with eyes of blue

After a few minutes Jack said thanks and looking much happier left the office promising to be back later. Michael saved the IM and looked it over.

Dr Doodle: Hello?

Digger Dan: Jack?

Dr Doodle: Danny?

Digger Dan: Yeah, it's me. Miss me?

Dr Doodle: You have no idea buddy. When are you coming home Danny?

Digger Dan: As soon as I can.

Dr Doodle: Are you having fun?

Digger Dan: It would be better if you were here. There's a boat that leaves every hour for fishing.

Dr Doodle: You hate fishing.

Digger Dan: Doesn't seem so bad now.

Dr Doodle: I'm going to hold you to that.

Digger Dan: Will you be on later?

Dr Doodle: Maybe around the next chow time if Mike doesn't mind

Digger Dan: He seems to be nice

Dr Doodle: Yeah

Digger Dan: I have to get going now Jack

Dr Doodle: Okay safe journey

Digger Dan: Promise not to forget me?

Dr Doodle: Promise Dannyboy


Michael smiled and made a folder called Jack Daniels saving it for the couple for later. Wondering if he should put up an advertisement as "Cupids Helper" he went off to get something to eat.

###

By the next visit Jack was early and looked desperate for some reason.

"Jack, want to tell me about it?" Michael asked cautiously. "Damnit Doc what am I going to do? I have to get SG1 back together but I honestly don't know if I can hold it together out there! I can't keep a watch on it all. He shouldn't be out there but I don't want to leave him behind, been there, done that and I can't think then either!"

Michael had wondered how long it would be before they reached this stage. "Jack, what would make you feel the best about the team? What would make you feel they were safe?"

"Easy keep them all home." Jack threw his hands up in the air. "So Major Carter can't handle it or should she be reassigned?" Jack looked at him in disbelief. "Don't you get it? Carter and Teal'c can handle it. It's me I can't handle it!" Michael slid across the drawing pad. "What about Daniel can he handle it?" Jack jumped back up again. "No! He doesn't belong out there. Danny is going to get hurt again! I have to watch him all the time! He just runs off to do what he wants! I'm supposed to be watching out for the whole team but I can't because I have to watch him!"
Michael sighed. "Can't Major Carter or Teal'c watch him?" Growling Jack said, "Nobody watches my Danny except for me! They don't understand him like I do!" Jack slid the paper back. This time it was a picture of a body bag in the middle of an ancient temple. Michael grimaced. How much had these people seen?

"Does Danny call you 'my Jack'?" Spinning in confusion to face him Jack said, "What?" Gesturing toward a chair Michael pulled out a small tape recorder. "This is for my personal notes Jack." He rewound it as Jack wrung his hands. "Nobody watches my Danny" Jack's mouth dropped. "I have some close friends Jack but none of them are so protective of me as that or use 'my Michael.' Only my lover does that. Have you told Danny that you love him?" As Jack sat there gaping Michael slid across the journal and Jack picked it up without thinking. It didn't take long for him to finish then he just sat there muttering to himself.

Do I love you?
Can it be true?
Miles away
Too far away
My eyes of blue
My my my
Can I live if my Danny dies?
Can I live with all these lies?
Should I tell you?
Can I tell you?
It's obvious now what he says is true
Oh Danny boy
What am I going to do?
Since I've fallen in love with you

"Jack, first of all, in order to save your own sanity you must tell him how you feel. It's eating you up inside making you doubt your own command abilities. I take it the fighting was to keep him at a safe distance and to protect yourself if he got hurt." Brown eyes looked up in disbelief before dropping to the floor and Michael saw his head nod. "It's gone past telling him in person or with the right setting you have to just tell him." As if on cue Michael's IM went off. Jack looked up in a panic. "I'd bet my degrees he's been hoping that you would say it some day." Michael slid across the pc to Jack.

Digger Dan: Anybody home?

Dr Doodle: Dannyboy?

Digger Dan: JACK!

Dr Doodle: Man I miss you so much.

Digger Dan: I miss you too Jack can't seem to concentrate on what's going on around me.

Dr Doodle: Yeah I know that feeling.

"Tell him," Michael hissed.

Dr. Doodle: Look Danny I have to tell you something and you have to promise not to freak out. I wasn't going to tell you. To be truthful with you I just figured it out.

Digger Dan: I promise Jack. What is it? Please tell me.

Dr. Doodle: I think that is to say I am I guess I have been for a long time. Hell it makes so much sense now.

Digger Dan: Please Jack just tell me

Dr. Doodle: I love you Danny

Digger Dan: Oh god Jack I love you too!

Dr Doodle: What? You aren't just saying that cause I'm turning into a nut job are you? Cause I don't want pity.

Digger Dan: Jack! I am head over heels, madly, deeply in love you with YOU. We can be nut jobs together.

Dr Doodle: OMG, I wish you were here right now

Digger Dan: Yeah me too Jack, oh man I can't believe this. I have the stupidest grin on my face right now. Maybe I can catch an early flight home.

Dr Doodle: God Danny what are we going to do about the team? I won't be able to keep my mitts off you now!

Digger Dan: Thanks for that image, I'll be more than worthless now! ^_^

Dr Doodle: Damn Danny, how much longer you supposed to be at that thing?

Digger Dan: One more day, then maybe I can catch the early flight instead of the afternoon one I was booked for

Dr Doodle: I think I should probably retire now, if I did would you?

Digger Dan: Jack you love the excitement. You'd be bored without it. But when you do yes I will, in a heartbeat. I love you Jack.

Dr Doodle: I love you too Danny. Guess you have to go huh?

Digger Dan: Yeah handsome I do. Thanks Jack you made my day. I love you so much.

Dr. Doodle: Maybe I can talk to you again soon. You always make my day. I feel so lost without you. Damnit Dannyboy I love you.

Digger Dan: Love you TTYL xoxox

Dr. Doodle: yeah love you too xoxoxo

Jack looked up at Michael after re-reading the conversation several times. "Can you print that out?" Smiling broadly Michael saved it and hit print. "So how did it go?"
Grinning wildly from ear-to-ear Jack said, "Great. He loves me too." The doctor handed the print out to Jack who carefully folded it and put it in his pocket.
"That's terrific Jack. Why don't you give yourself a chance to be happy about that? Okay? The next time we'll meet we can work out a game plan okay? You've waited a long time for this Jack. Allow yourself the chance to be happy. Anytime you start to worry about the team think of a giant stop sign. Then think of the fact Danny loves you. Promise?" Jack rubbed his neck and a giant goofy grin was plastered on his face. "Yeah okay."

Michael sat and tried to think of a game plan for the Colonel. It seemed obvious that both men were ready to toss their careers aside for each other. But that might be best left as a last resort. Daniel didn't want to leave SG1 but felt that Jack no longer wanted him on the team. Jack knew deep down that Daniel was a valuable member of the team but couldn't handle watching out for him.
Major Carter was a threat to both men with her died in the wool conservative values towards gays, if she found out the truth she would report them. He decided to go see the General to ask to see the reports form the SG teams, but especially SG1. He passed a floating Colonel O'Neill in the hall who gave him two thumbs up. After looking over them for a few hours he started to see Jack's point. Daniel did get injured all the time and was being sent into combat missions. He took note of one name being repeated and hoping for the best, called one Major Paul Davis.

"Davis here."

"Major Davis my name is Doctor Brinkley over at SGC. I wondered if I could have a few minutes of your time."

"What can I do for you Doctor?"

"Well, I understand you know how the SG teams work better than anyone. Especially SG1. I wondered if there were any suggestions, improvements or changes that you would make if you were in the position to, what they would be?"

"This has to do with SG1 being at stand down and Jack being on probation doesn't it?"

"Let's just say there are some issues that need to be ironed out."

Laughter - "Fair enough Doctor. Well I always thought there should be a strike team going in first. That team could check out the situation before SG1 gets sent in and secure the perimeter. Or at the very least sending them in pairs. Let Teal'c and Carter go first. Then O'Neill and Jackson could follow. I also think Doctor Jackson needs some military training and contact lenses. Can't tell you the number of reports I've read where he's lost his glasses off world often in a combat zone. Never understood why the MALP doesn't have a heat sensor to pick up life signs. It's becoming more a case of negotiations and diplomatic missions that the SG1 team should be on, not a strike force. Most of the time when they exit the gates they are totally vulnerable, exposed and in danger from the first step. They should also be tagged in case we need to find them for emergency transport or even to locate their remains."

"Anything else?"

Yes, those people are always very literally running for their lives. There must be a faster way for them to get around! Even if we send them in on dirt bikes it would allow them to be able to move ahead of enemy fire!"

"One last question Major, do you think having Doctor Jackson on SG1 endangers the team?"

"…as it stands, yes. He needs military training. I like Doctor Jackson, don't get me wrong and I think he should be on the first team that goes in once it's secured, but he is the weak link. He's changed a lot over the years but he still needs training. Otherwise I'd suggest a bodyguard just for him, maybe two after all he is just a civilian consultant."

"Thank you Major."

"You're welcome Doctor."

**

Michael decided to feel out Doctor Jackson next, so he composed an email.

Dear Daniel,

I have some questions about the SG1 team. What do you think of a strike team going in first? Or of the team going in pairs, say first Teal'c and Carter then you and Jack? Would you be willing to undergo military training? Or would you consider going in with a bodyguard? What do you think of having a mode of transport to enter the gate with say a motorcycle? And lastly, I wonder why you don't wear contacts on missions. Do you not have a pair? Are there any suggestions that you have for the team? I am trying to formulate a plan of action.

Yes, Jack is still grinning.

Michael Brinkley

A knock came at the door and a smiling General Hammond entered. "Doctor I don't know what you did but I haven't seen Jack so happy in a long time. If you can manage that when Doctor Jackson gets back I'll put you in for sainthood!"

Michael chuckled, "Come in General. The Colonel just needed to get some things off his chest. Now comes the hard part. He has a genuine point about the danger that Doctor Jackson is in, whether he cares to admit to it or not. While I see the value of having a civilian member on the team, I wonder why Doctor Jackson never received any military training?"

The General shook his head. "No wonder Jack likes you. He doesn't like to beat around the bush either. To be honest there never was time. I understand he has been doing some training with Teal'c. But if you suggest it, I'd be happy to give it my signature even if it makes Daniel into a 'weekend warrior'. I've never known any man so accident-prone! I'm sure you noticed in the reports that he seems to get so involved with the archeological value of a site he forgets he is off-world! I don't envy Jack one bit trying to deal with that!" The General laughed while shaking his head. "SO how is Jack doing really? Will he be able to return to command?"

"Yes, he should be able to without any problems. I may, however, request a few changes to the structure of SG1."

The General frowned, "Changes Doctor? Such as?"

"Well the training for Doctor Jackson, and perhaps some contacts. Perhaps sending them in pairs. Say Teal'c and Carter first to secure the perimeter. Or even O'Neill and Carter first. Nothing that would actually disrupt the workings of the team; just adjustments I suppose would be the better phraseology. I should have a complete list of suggestions on your desk by the end of the week."

The General seemed pleased again. "Excellent. I'm going to look into some combat training courses for Doctor Jackson."

As the General left Michael's cell phone rang. "Brinkley here."

"Hey handsome, are you available for lunch today?"

"Sean, wow do you have timing. That would be wonderful."

Jack knocked next and entered. Michael waved him to his seat and slid the paper across the table to him.

"Bad day love?"

"Tricky tap dancing. Where do you want to meet?"

"O'Malley's ?"

"You're on. Love you Sean."

"Love you Michael. See you soon."

Michael flipped the phone closed and looked up to see Jack smiling at him. "So I'm not the only one around here that uses both doors, huh?"

"No you aren't."

"But I thought you were married you have a band on your hand."

"It's a commitment band. Sean and I said private vows to each other a few years ago. It's not only binding to each other. But is a source of strength for us when we look down and see these bands. When someone asks about it, and I don't know how they would react, I simply tell them that yes I am married but that we are a very private couple." Michael could see the gears turning in Jack's head. "So are you still on cloud nine?"

Jack blushed. “Yeah I am. But I am starting to wonder about your plan of action."

"Should we take bets on whether or not that's Daniel?" Michael laughed as the IM popped up. Jack leaned forward eagerly. "How about I let you two talk a minute then we see if you can get him to call so we can have a conference call?" Jack nodded and practically grabbed the laptop.

Digger Dan: Hello?

Dr Doodle: Danny!

Digger Dan: JACK!

Dr Doodle: I love you

Digger Dan: I love you more

Dr Doodle: Not possible

Digger Dan: I'm coming back tomorrow handsome

Dr Doodle: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digger Dan: I miss you too

Dr Doodle: Hey Mike wants you to have a conference call can you give a ring?

Digger Dan: Sure love

Dr Doodle: Wow I like the sound of that

Digger Dan: Better get used to it flyboy

Dr Doodle: I want to hear your voice, get on the horn

Digger Dan: I doubt I can say I love you on there so I LOVE YOU

Dr Doodle: I agree, unsecure line and all I LOVE YOU DANNY BOY

Jack looked up just as the phone rang. " Doctor Jackson is that you?"

"Hello Michael. Jack you there?"

"Yeah Danny boy I'm here. Man, is it good to hear your voice. How's California?"

"Very sunny, I went fishing this morning."

"Figures, I was on the archeology channel this morning reading about the ice people dig in South Carolina."

Daniel laughed. "Okay guys now we have to figure out what to do about the team. This is going to take some give and take on both of your parts."

"Oh boy here we go," Jack groaned.

"Jack behave." Michael wiggled a finger in his direction, "or no more crayons."

"Crayons?" Daniel asked in disbelief.

"Never mind," Michael said quickly. "Now Daniel, Jack makes a very good point about your vulnerability in the field."

"I am not helpless!" Daniel yelled.

"Daniel I never said you were. I am simply recommending you take either some combat courses or take some weekend warrior military training."

Daniel sighed and Jack looked smug. "Now Jack I think you could use a course on negotiations and diplomacy possibly even one on ethics. Also, you in turn need to be able to give your body guard duties of Daniel to at least Teal'c once in awhile so Daniel doesn't feel suffocated."

"What about Sam?" Daniel asked.

"That I don't recommend. Major Carter seems to have a genuine dyed in the wool conservative attitude and poses a real threat to the two of you."

A stream of curses from Jack and Daniel in both English and something else permeated the air for a moment. "I am also suggesting that you go off world in pairs. From what I've seen after reading the reports and talking to Major Davis the most dangerous moment is when the team steps out of that gate. I think a pair should go in first to secure the area. Then Doctor Jackson and one other should follow. Major Davis even suggested a heat sensor be installed in the MALP to detect life signs."

"Do I get a say in this?" Jack growled. "Yes Jack that's why we are doing it this way." Daniel soothed.

"Since when does Major Davis have a say in the running of SG1?" Jack snapped.

"Since I called and asked his opinions. He has read all of your reports, compiled statistics and made presentations on the behalf of keeping the program going. These are some of his suggestions, and some of mine. I didn't even mention to you that he thinks you should all ride in on dirt bikes or some sort of transportation so you aren't sitting ducks all the time." Michael replied.

"Oh what a picture. I won't be able to concentrate in the rest of the meetings for sure!" Daniel laughed.

"Me either!" Jack chuckled. "OH please let me suggest that one to General Hammond."

"Speaking of General Hammond he seems to think that you Daniel have a serious case of hero worship toward our Jack here. Best to let it stay that way." Michael advised.

"HERO WORSHIP?" Daniel yelled.

Jack laughed, "You can kiss my wings later." Daniel sputtered.

"Hello guys, back on topic okay? I do have a lunch date." Jack smiled. "Now Teal'c is completely behind you and knows all without being told." Jack nodded. "Good Old Teal'c," Daniel stated.

"SO any objections to my suggestions?" Michael interjected.

Daniel sighed. "I'm okay with it if Jack is." Making a face Jack asked, "Can Daniel teach the class on ethics?" Michael smiled. "Daniel?"

"It's a bit out of my field but I think I can," Daniel laughed.

"Then I agree," Jack added. "But he rides on my bike." They all laughed.

"Now we also need to decide on an agreed out. I understand that if one of you leaves the program the other is sure to follow. Should we also say one more life threatening injury is an automatic out?"

"Better define life-threatening to Danny," Jack whispered.

"I heard that Jack," Daniel sighed.

"Okay if you have to be on life support, or in the infirmary for a week or …" Michael began.

"Or if the other person asks nicely that we leave at least consider it?" Jack asked hopefully.

"Maybe even a test period of a few months, say by New Years? If it's not working then it's time to hang it up boys." Michael offered.

"And if we need a referee in the meantime?" Jack rolled his eyes.

"Then you have my number, my email and my IM besides knowing where I work. Are we settled gentlemen?" Michael took the opportunity to stand up and stretch.

"Yes," Daniel said.

"Yeah," Jack agreed.

"Daniel when do you get in tomorrow?" Michael asked.

"The 11:15 out of LAX tomorrow, unless I can catch an earlier flight. I'll have my cell phone with me."

"Want me to pick you up Dannyboy?" Jack asked eagerly.

"Better not, might make a scene in the airport." Daniel chuckled. "How about your office?"

"Make it mine, it's scene proof complete with referee." Michael offered.

Both men agreed. Then Daniel hung up. Michael jumped up. "Now if I'm done playing cupid and head referee for you. I have a date." With that he swept out of the office after saving Jack's IM chat with Daniel. He took a quick glance at the picture of roses and a pair of commitment bands Jack had worked on during the phone conversation. Smiling he filed that away too, then shooed Jack out of the office.

General Hammond stopped Jack in the hallway. "How are your sessions going Colonel?"

"Good, Doc Brinkley is a decent guy." Jack grinned.

"Have you had a chance to speak with Doctor Jackson?" The General asked as they continued to walk down the hall.

"Actually we just had a conference call with him to straighten things out." Jack did a little skip. The General smirked Jack skipping only meant good news.

"And?" The General prodded.

"We had to do some negotiating and a bit of give and take but I think it's all sorted out now sir." Jack smirked.

"Well, Doctor Jackson has an afternoon flight tomorrow. I hope you are right Jack," the General patted Jack on the shoulder and headed down another corridor. Jack looked down at his watch and counted the hours. He ran to his office realizing he had calls to make and people to see. By the time of his next session Jack was bouncing in his chair.

###

Michael laughed as he saw how eager Jack was to talk to him. "What's up Colonel?"

"Remember how we talked about your commitment band?" Jack grinned.

"Yes, I could see the gears turning in your head. Have more questions?" Michael smiled.

"Nope did loads of research, that and some ordering and well…tada!" Jack pulled out a black velvet box.

"You're sure about this? It's a serious step Jack." Nodding Jack looked him seriously in the eye. "We've lost so much time. If we've been given this other chance, I don't want to waste it. Something could happen to either one of us. I want him to know, always how much he means to me." Michael smiled Sean had said something very similar in his vows. "Well you've convinced me now all you have to do is convince him. So can I see now?"

Jack flipped open the box to reveal two perfectly matched Single Channel Twist rings a Yellow gold Twist in White Gold Shell. "Very nice Jack." The Colonel grinned I had his engraved too. "How did you find out his ring size?" Jack smirked. "Now that was the tricky part.
I had to call his university to find out what company they ordered their rings through. Then I had to contact the ring company. Luckily they keep records for ten years." Michael clapped his hands lightly. "Very impressive. Sean asked my mother." Jack frowned. "Wish I could have." Nodding Michael remembered the tragic past in Doctor Jackson's file.

Michael slid across the journal. "Didn't get the chance to write in this last time. So technically you owe me two." Jack nodded and began to write.

Hours crawling
toward the time
I hold you in my arms
Ask you to be mine
Let the fates be kind
Until I see you again
Once my friend
No so much more
Your love makes life worth living for


Don't know how I will sleep tonight
And not think of you
Will you think of me
When you are so far away
We've been to other worlds
Seen other stars
How can a few thousand miles
Seem so far
Come home to me
Show me this isn't a dream
I'm sure I won't sleep this night
To much at risk
I was at the end of my rope
But my blue- eyed baby never gave up hope
Neither will I

"There ya' go doc. Two for the price of one, you know I owe you one for telling Danny about the crayons." Jack shook his head. "Consider it payback for making me late to my date." Michael chuckled sliding across the crayons and pad. Jack stuck his tongue out at Michael and started to doodle. "So tell me Doc how hard is it to keep things under wraps, so to speak?" Michael sighed.
"Most days it's easy enough. Other days are harder, just like every relationship. If you two resume your earlier patterns it would be easy enough to hide in plain sight. I recommend you tell Teal'c, since he already seems to accept it. " Michael slid a card across to Jack of underground contacts via email to use if needed. Jack pushed his picture at him and took the card giving the thumbs up. The picture this time was of two clasped hands, clearly masculine with matching rings. "So I will see you tomorrow then. Try to get some sleep Colonel."

As suspected Jack barely slept at all. His mood went from joyous to irritable in seconds flat. By now the printouts of his conversation with Daniel was looking worn. And he couldn't help feeling disappointed that Daniel wasn't home yet and that they hadn't talked at Jack's last session. He put some music on in the truck on the way in to try to get a grip when he heard the news. An earthquake had hit L.A. in the early morning hours, 8.6 on the richter scale and millions were trapped, injured, missing or dead. "Daniel!" He raced to the base hoping for some word.

###

Michael woke to find his arms empty and his bed cold. He looked around and found Sean standing above him with his uniform and a cup of coffee. "I'll get your electric razor so you can shave while I drive you in. You have to go find Jack, now." Groggily Michael got up and began to dress as Sean told him the news story. Once his shoes were on, they were both running for the door.

###
"What do you mean you haven't heard anything!?" Jack ranted to the General. "All this god damned technology and we can't tell if one of our people is MIA or not?"

"Jack I'm going to forgive your lack of manners. I'm just as concerned as you." The General sighed with relief seeing Dr. Michael Brinkley at the window before he knocked at the door. Jack grabbed him by the shoulders when he walked in, "Please tell me you've heard something!" Michael shook his head and looked over Jack's shoulder at the General. "If you don't mind I think it would be for the best if Jack and I awaited word in my office General?" George looked like thrilled at the idea.
"By all means. If I hear anything at all I will phone your office immediately." The General came around to pat Jack on the back. "Daniel's probably out there helping out the Red Cross or trying to get word to us. I'm sure he's fine Jack."
All Jack could do was nod his head, not able to trust his voice. Michael gave a nod then escorted Jack to his office. As soon as the door closed Jack fell into his arms and totally lost it. Jack couldn't remember crying in someone's arms like that for years but Michael didn't say a word just rubbed his back and waited for him to regain control.

Eventually Jack calmed down enough to sit. Michael sighed. Sean did the right thing by waking him up early, Jack needed someone who knew the whole truth to wait word with him. Sure he could wait with SG1 but no one would understand what he was going through the way Michael would. "Okay Jack I know you can sit and wait that we need to do something. Hell if it were me waiting on Sean I'd be the same way. Here's what we will do.
You use my laptop and check for every outbound flight from LA from the last time we talked to Daniel until now. I'll call the airlines using my doctor status to look for Daniel. Okay?" Jack looked relieved and began surfing. Michael brought in a television set in case there was any word on flight delays.
Having a gut feeling he should Michael popped in a tape into the VCR to record as he watched and Jack researched. Jack was printing out information as the television started to play tapes of the lines at the airport. Michael began to call as they continued to watch. Jack was becoming increasingly frantic and Michael was thinking about turning off the television when Jack suddenly yelled.

Michael's hand slipped from the phone and the receiver fell to the desk. There was Daniel looking tired but fine waving and signing something to the camera as he stood behind a reporter. "Dannyboy!" Jack yelled in happiness. "Look there he is there he is!!!"
But Jack was so busy punching the air that Daniel was okay he didn't take any notice of the hand signals Daniel was giving. When the camera panned back to the wreckage in downtown Michael rewound the tape grateful he had listened to his instinct.
"Yes, yes!" Jack smiled widely as it was played back. "Jack you are missing the big picture here. He's trying to tell us something. That's sign language he's using." Grinning widely Jack said, "That's my linguist. I have to find someone that can read that!"

The doctor shook his head. "I don't know anyone on base that does." Jack began to pace. "Wait a minute, Danny has a book on damn near everything in his office." Like a bullet out of a gun Jack sprinted out of the office and ran down the hall.

"O'Neill, have you good news of Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asked seeing the grin.

"Hell yeah big guy, come help me look!" Jack threw open Daniels office door and began searching through the books.

“What is it exactly we are looking for?” Teal'c inquired.

"I just saw Danny on tv. He was using Sign language to try to say something. There must be a book on it somewhere." After a few minutes Teal'c found the book and they raced back to Doctor Brinkley's office. He was on the phone still checking with the airlines. Between the two team mates they made out the first part of the message to be letters and numbers. Michael looked at it then grinned. "That Daniel is one smart man. Those are the call letters for the flight!" Michael quickly narrowed his search and found out that Daniel had indeed boarded that plane. Jack was starting to bounce but then Teal'c said, "There is more O'Neil but it is different. It is gestures then letters." Michael blushed slightly and said, "I know that one, use it all the time."

"For crying out loud what is it?" Jack bellowed.

"It's sign language for 'I love you.'" Michael answered with a smile.

"Who is it that Daniel Jackson is saying that to?" Teal'c looked upset.

"Wait big guy he's got more letters going now." Jack pointed and once again they slowed down the tape to go frame by frame. Teal'c raised an eyebrow. "It spells your first name O'Neill. Does this mean you two have finally revealed your feelings for each other in this matter?" Stuttering a bit Jack pulled at his collar. "No one is supposed to know big guy but yeah. It's a secret though got that? Not even Carter. Just you, the doc, Danny and I."

Teal'c inclined his head. "Yes, I understand your culture is more primitive in this aspect. You honor me with your trust. I offer my assistance whenever it is needed."

Jack patted him on the shoulder. "Thanks buddy from both of us."

"Does this mean that Daniel Jackson will be staying on SG1?" Teal'c asked. Jack shoved his hands into his pockets. "It's up the General. I'm still in the dog house." Teal'c nodded. Colonel O'Neill was 'in the doghouse' enough that he completely understood this term. "I will go inform the others that Daniel Jackson is well and headed home."

Michael watched over the next few hours as Jack played the videotape over and over; read the printout from their conversation several times and slowly filled his office with doodles. Just as he was starting to consider a hypnotic suggestion to calm him down. Teal'c burst into the room smiling. "You will be most happy to know O'Neill that Daniel Jackson is headed this way."

Daniel burst into the room next at a run and Jack tackled him holding him tightly. Michael looked at Teal'c who nodded and they both quietly left the men alone.

"Oh Danny, no more trips without me. It's not allowed you got that?" Jack whispered too choked up to speak. Daniel pulled back to look at Jack. "No worries Jack, I missed you too much. I guess it's true what they say about absence makes the heart grow fonder." Not able to formulate a response Jack grabbed the back of Daniel's neck and pulled him in for a kiss. Daniel pushed Jack into the wall as he responded to the kiss. When air became an issue they finally parted gasping and grinning like mad.

"I love you Jack," Danny whispered as they rested forehead to forehead.

"I love you Danny. I wondered if you'd think about something." Jack replied.

Danny pulled his head back to gaze into the brown eyes once more. "What?"

Reaching into his pocket with a grin Jack pulled out the velvet box. He flipped it open and said, "I've wasted too much time already. Would you consent to wearing this commitment band? I don't want to lose you again and I never want you to doubt how much I love you."
Daniel's hand flew up to cover his mouth as his eyes brimmed with unshed tears. With a nod he held out his hand and Jack slid his ring on then Daniel took out the other ring and slipped it onto Jacks. The officer was about to tell Daniel that they could have a ceremony down the line when the words were taken right out of his mouth by a kiss so dizzying Jack's knees gave out. But Daniel caught him just in time and buried his head in Jack's chest. "You softy." Jack ruffled Daniel's hair. "Shh, don't let it get out."

"HELLO MAJOR CARTER HOW ARE YOU TODAY?" Doctor Brinkley said loudly from outside his door.

"Indeed! Have you heard the good news Major Carter that Daniel Jackson will soon be home?" Teal'c chimed in.

Barely able to suppress their laughter the two men got the message and broke apart. "Jack," Daniel whispered, "What if someone sees the rings and puts two and two together?"

"Then I hand in my resignation. I'm not going to hide Daniel, unless it's in plain sight. Now we have to convince the General that we've kissed and made up so SG1 is back together." Jack gave Daniel a quick kiss.

"Let's go," Daniel whispered. "Doodles."

Fin

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=94.